Posted: 5/19/2017 5:07:33 PM EDT
Tomorrow at 9am I go before my ordination council.  The members consist of

1. my former pastor
2. chairman of deacons at the church where I currently serve
3. one of the deacons at the church where I currently serve
4. an elder at my former church that is a good friend
5. an elder at my for mer church which I have served under
6. a pastor that has served with me in youth ministry

On the list are two guys with their doctorates, and one with a master's degree.  

I have a bachelor's degree in theology.   I could really use the practice.  Throw your best theological questions.  

Disclaimer:   This is not an invitation to attack the Christian faith or to troll the preacherman.  Please ask questions from a helpful Spirit, and not one of division
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be around most of the evening and checking in often, so if I don't get right back it's probably because of dinner or such.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck man, thats great. I have no questions for you, sorry, cant help.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the significance of the Trinity?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of questions will depend on the people. You'll almost certainly be asked to give testimony of your salvation. Harder questions might be around how you think of the Trinity or pre-destination/Calvinism.

Others that you might consider:

How can you reach younger generations for Jesus (outside the church walls)?

Why do you want to be a pastor/minister?

Tell us about a time you had to deal with conflict between people.

Lots of other areas, including questions s of pastoral or priestly authority, women in leadership roles, membership of peiple who continue in sinful lifestyles whether it be homosexuality, drunkeness, etc
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the significance of the Trinity?
View Quote
The significance of the trinity is this:

God The Father - The creator of all things the originator of our Faith, the Author of life.
Jesus Christ - Wholly God, Wholly man.  The part of the trinity that man can relate to most closely.  Present participant in creation, and the perfection of God's plan of salvation revealed by the word, because He is The Word
The Holy Spirit - The part of the trinity that indwells the believer.  The dove, that descended on Christ, the voice that inspired the bible writers and the flame that danced on the tongues of the apostles.  The Spirit's filling empowers, inspires and directs the believer who will listen.  The Spirit restrains evil on the earth and convicts of sin both sinners and saints alike.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What kind of questions will depend on the people. You'll almost certainly be asked to give testimony of your salvation. Harder questions might be around how you think of the Trinity or pre-destination/Calvinism.

Others that you might consider:

How can you reach younger generations for Jesus (outside the church walls)?

Why do you want to be a pastor/minister?

Tell us about a time you had to deal with conflict between people.

Lots of other areas, including questions s of pastoral or priestly authority, women in leadership roles, membership of peiple who continue in sinful lifestyles whether it be homosexuality, drunkeness, etc
View Quote
Those are all some that I have prepared for.  Would you like to hear my answers?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Ephesians 1:13  In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14  Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
15  ¶Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16  Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17  That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Okay, this person is saved, so why is Paul praying that this person would receive MORE of the Holy Spirit?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Matthew 5:17  ¶Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20  For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

This appears to be a theological crossroads statement in the Bible, how would you handle this hand grenade?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Romans 7:7  ¶What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8  But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9  For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10  And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

1 Corinthians 15:56  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

The New Testament presents the law as the power of sin. How would you explain that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ephesians 1:13  In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14  Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
15  ¶Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16  Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17  That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Okay, this person is saved, so why is Paul praying that this person would receive MORE of the Holy Spirit?
View Quote
to incline one's hear to Him
to become more dependent on Him
to be guided more so by Him
to be more obedient to Him
to bring more glory to Him
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Matthew 5:17  ¶Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20  For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

This appears to be a theological crossroads statement in the Bible, how would you handle this hand grenade?
View Quote
I get this question a lot in Jail Ministry.  This isn't a crossroads, but a fulfillment.  Old testament worship pointed forward toward the day in history when Jesus would fulfill the Old testament law by making a final sacrifice of Himself.  No longer would a lamb be needed, because of the Perfect Lamb's sacrifice.  This is the same as what we do now only we look back at a day in history when Jesus DID fulfill the Old Testament law perfecting our worship through relationship that the Old Testament worship did not provide.  Now, we still look forward.  We look forward to the day when our faith becomes sight.  Whether that be through the return of Christ, or the homecall of heaven for the saints.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Romans 7:7  ¶What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8  But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9  For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10  And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

1 Corinthians 15:56  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

The New Testament presents the law as the power of sin. How would you explain that?
View Quote
I would explain that it was through the law that sin is revealed.  That once sin is revealed my need for a savior and grace is magnified.  So it is by this opportunity that my great need is met by an even greater savior.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you believe the Bible is the word of God?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
No question, just good luck and God bless!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you believe the Bible is the word of God?
View Quote
yes - Inerrant, Inspired
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No question, just good luck and God bless!
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Tell me about the Problem of Pain.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, thank you everyone!  I'm heading off to bed.  I'll check in tomorrow morning before I head out.  I'll let you know how it goes afterwards too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sorry, can you clarify?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does Pain exist in a world ruled by an omnipotent and omniscient benevolent God?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Why did God give us the Holy Spirit? (Eph's)
Describe some attributes of God (love/justice etc)
What is the security of the believer?
What is grace?

just a few i could think of quickly

Good luck brother you'll be fine
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
read Jesus words in Matthew 13 the parable of the weeds and wheat
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Discuss three New Testament texts which directly bear on the theory and practice of apologetics.

What part did Paul's allusion to pagan philosophical poets play in his defense of Christianity?

Relate the Biblical doctrine of God's sovereignty to the task of apologetics
.    What part does the internal testimony of the Holy Spirit have in apologetics?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

read Jesus words in Matthew 13 the parable of the weeds and wheat
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Well?  How did it go?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, I survived!!!   The panel was much easier on me than I expected and prepared for.   They asked theological questions, questions about personal study and questions about my call & family.  They were encouraging and uplifting.  I am blessed.  Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement.   Ordination ceremony to be held June 11th at the church where I serve.  

I'll get back this afternoon and finish answering the questions left for me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#28]
If you could only have two of the books of the Bible which two would you pick and why?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Matthew and James.   Matthew would give you everything you need to know to be saved, James would teach you everything you need to know to behave as a Christian
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#30]
People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top