Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 8:41:06 AM EDT
Thinking about expanding my knowledge base, but don't want to compromise my faith in any way.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#1]
There are no lost books.  There is a good chance the ones you are talking about do contradiCT the Bible.  One of the reasons  they were rejected.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Book of Enoch is some tasty apocryphal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Book of Enoch is some tasty apocryphal.
View Quote
I think you mean tasty apocalyptic.

It's also pseudepigrapha. And heterodox.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thinking about expanding my knowledge base, but don't want to compromise my faith in any way.

Thanks
View Quote

I would recommend reading a survey of the Second Temple period first.

I have this one and enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#5]
If you think reading a book might compromise your faith, it probably will.

But, you might want to do some soul searching about why you believe what you do, if you fear your faith is that weak.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#6]
While I would agree with much of what some have stated, you have to wonder why or who decided what authors and books to include in the Bible.

I always remind myself that Man decided what to include, and the fact that we now see organized religion taking liberties with the interpret, like how the Catholics, aka the Pope, seem to change the rules as time goes along.

OP ask a legit question. I have listened to Coast to Coast on some of those lost books, like the ones about Jesus during his teen years and leading up to his preaching. Some things were things that made you wonder, but I always found myself not buying into it. Mainly I feel those producing these documents possibly have ulterior motives.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The books you know could be verified by one means or another.
The "lost" books can't be verified to their source.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The books you know could be verified by one means or another.
The "lost" books can't be verified to their source.
View Quote
What about the Epistle to the Hebrews? Anonymous works are okay.

The bigger problem with these other works is the claim to be written by someone else, hence the term pseudepigrapha.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

They are ok to read, but don't believe them as absolute truth. They are not the true Word of God.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I get what you're saying; I'm referring more to skewing what I've learned and thought of my whole life.

For example, I've just read that Joseph, Mary's husband, was much older than Mary and even a widow with children.  This can be found in The Protevangilion.

Thats the the type of stuff I'm talking about... 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I get what you're saying; I'm referring more to skewing what I've learned and thought of my whole life.

For example, I've just read that Joseph, Mary's husband, was much older than Mary and even a widow with children.  This can be found in The Protevangilion.

View Quote
You must be referring to a different Protovangilion that with which I'm familiar - I assume you aren't talking about Genesis?

Joseph has long been understood as much older than Mary, with their relationship more akin to father and daughter, indicated by his marrying her to protect her from disgrace due to her pregnancy - hence her perpetual virginity. I guess nowadays the cool thing would be to assume he must have been gay. But, much older and protective is the old school portrayal.

So, it's reasonable to assume a straight older male would have been married once beforehand. After all, there isn't anything in Church tradition about the "ever-virgin" Joseph.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#12]
There are significant variations of the 'Garden of Eden' story and other events.  It can be good to study the history of how the Bible came to be what it is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought you were refering to the lost gospels, like the Gospel of Thomas, etc. Eithercway, they are interesting, if not quite metaphysical, and clearly why they were rejected.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While I would agree with much of what some have stated, you have to wonder why or who decided what authors and books to include in the Bible.

I always remind myself that Man decided what to include, and the fact that we now see organized religion taking liberties with the interpret, like how the Catholics, aka the Pope, seem to change the rules as time goes along.

OP ask a legit question. I have listened to Coast to Coast on some of those lost books, like the ones about Jesus during his teen years and leading up to his preaching. Some things were things that made you wonder, but I always found myself not buying into it. Mainly I feel those producing these documents possibly have ulterior motives.
View Quote
The broad answer is that there were 6 criteria used to determine what was legit scripture and what wasn't.  They were:1. Written by a recognized prophet or apostle, 2. Written by those associated with recognized prophet or apostle, 3. Truthfulness, 4. Faithfulness to previously accepted canonical writings, 5. Confirmed by Christ, prophet, apostle, 6. Church Usage and Recognition

Bruce Ware, who is a solid guy, has an article that fleshes this out Here

The Council of Carthage in 397 is where the church recognized the Scriptures - but that was kind of like Columbus "discovering" the americas.  He just found something that has been around forever.  Lists of writing used in church services and considered authoritative Scriptures go back to mid first century and are, in most cases, identical to what is in your Bible today.

The books that usually get discussed on Coast to Coast and the History channel are commonly referred to the Gnostic Gospels.  They were a cult that tried to co-opt Christianity.  They wrote books like the Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Judas, the Acts of Paul and Thekla, and things like that.  They were written in the 3rd century and attributed to Biblical writers to try to legitimize them.  But they are all patently false.  They are like the Davinci Code of their day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Writings like that tend to come from a relatively late period of history, and their authorship tends to be disputed for very legit reasons.  That makes their historicity very suspect.  Read them if you want, just don't forget what you're reading.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#16]
there are no lost books, the bible says -God reveals what he will to man and that he doesn't wish to reveal stays hidden.. God can not make mistake.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#17]
The Bible leaves the possibilities. St John last chapter last verse, look it up
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are no lost books.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
"There are no lost  books"

Book of the Covenant  Ex 24:7
Book of the wars of the Lord Num21:14
Book of Jasher Joshua 10:13
Book of the acts of Soloman 1 Kings 11:41

There are several more listed in 2 Chron.

So are you wrong or the Bible??
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Posted twice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top