Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 1:43:33 PM EDT
Was thinking about this today so I researched and read the bible verses commonly used to say that Lev. 11 is to no longer be observed becuase of the new covenant through Christ but Paul in the new testament is qouted saying that he still follows unclean and clean animals.(Acts 10:14)
Do you think that modern christians should follow kosher or The bible in the new testament says that unclean animals may be consumed?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Was thinking about this today so I researched and read the bible verses commonly used to say that Lev. 11 is to no longer be observed becuase of the new covenant through Christ but Paul in the new testament is qouted saying that he still follows unclean and clean animals.(Acts 10:14)
Do you think that modern christians should follow kosher or The bible in the new testament says that unclean animals may be consumed?
View Quote

As a follower of Christ i try to live by what's recorded of what He said, and this is what He said in

Matthew 15:11

10 Then Jesus called to the crowd to come and hear. “Listen,” he said, “and try to understand. 11 It’s not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth.”

You are not made unclean by eating nonkosher food, it is by what you say and think that makes you "unclean". That's what reveals what's really in your heart.

Also Galatians 3:24-26

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Live by faith in Christ and follow Him
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You Christians pretty much dropped the ball when you began thinking "Thou shalt have no other god before me", oh, yeah, well, except for this Jesus dude, cause he's only the son of god and not the real god.

(Just a jewish guys perspective)

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If one reads the whole chapter, Peter was struggling with, and had been from pentacost, whether the gospel was just for Jews or everyone including those horrible gentiles. He got the message in the vision and then went and met with Cornelius. I don't think it had anything to do with what one eats at all. ymmv
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If one reads the whole chapter, Peter was struggling with, and had been from pentacost, whether the gospel was just for Jews or everyone including those horrible gentiles. He got the message in the vision and then went and met with Cornelius. I don't think it had anything to do with what one eats at all. ymmv
View Quote

That's right. The topic wasn't about food, but it mentions that Peter was still eating only clean animals, even after the death, burial and resurrection of our Savior.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Only if you have had a brit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Only if you have had a brit.
View Quote

Bris. Brit is the guy on fox news.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's Peter.  And he did still follow that part of the OT law until God said "Kill, eat". There are three parts or divisions to the law.  The Civil law, the Moral law and the Ceremonial law.  This was God saying the Ceremonial law is no longer in effect.  It was to distinguish National Israel from the Gentile World.  Christianity transcended that and combined the two.  So go eat bacon wrapped shrimp.  

I also have no problem with people trying to follow kosher laws.  Probably a lot healthier for you than what most people eat.  And I personally like a lot of kosher food.  However, do it because you want to.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
You Christians pretty much dropped the ball when you began thinking "Thou shalt have no other god before me", oh, yeah, well, except for this Jesus dude, cause he's only the son of god and not the real god.

(Just a jewish guys perspective)  
View Quote

Yeah, but we get Bacon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I in no way follow kosher it was just a interesting thought I had and couldn't find a definite answer for.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
If you feel the need to piss away money on food, just shop at Whole Foods Market. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
So smoking is ok under the new covenant....
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Bacon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My bad. I don't make jokes in the religion forum. Thought I was in GD
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bris. Brit is the guy on fox news.
View Quote

You Ashkenazis.....pronouncing a tet with an S.   It's a tet......it sounds like a T !

Shabbas or Shabbat?  

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So smoking is ok under the new covenant....
View Quote

I had a preacher who said" smoking won't send you to hell, it will just make you smell like you've been there"
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And he did still follow that part of the OT law until God said "Kill, eat". There are three parts or divisions to the law.  The Civil law, the Moral law and the Ceremonial law.  This was God saying the Ceremonial law is no longer in effect.  It was to distinguish National Israel from the Gentile World.  Christianity transcended that and combined the two.  So go eat bacon wrapped shrimp.  
View Quote

I don't know where you get that from.
Acts 10 is about bringing former Gentiles into Israel (those in covenant with the Father).
There was no Nation of Israel, except for during the years of the Northern Kingdom that had gone astray, which was long gone by the time of Yeshua. He lived in Judea.
Israel ( those in covenant with the Father) are still set apart from the Gentiles.
A Gentile is someone outside of that covenant. One of the definitions of Gentile in a Dictionary is Heathen or Pagan.
Gentile is usually translated from the Hebrew word Goi (plural Goyim), which refers to those of the Nations not in covenant, including those that bowed down to Idols, or so-called gods that aren't the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
The Apostles would never have eaten unclean. They knew that the Father gave us His ordinances for our own good, because He loves us.
Who would know better what is food, and what isn't, than the One who created it?

Isaiah 65:1 “I permitted Myself to be sought by those who did not ask for Me;
I permitted Myself to be found by those who did not seek Me.
I said, ‘Here am I, here am I,’
To a nation which did not call on My name.
2 “I have spread out My hands all day long to a rebellious people,
Who walk in the way which is not good, following their own thoughts,
3 A people who continually provoke Me to My face,
Offering sacrifices in gardens and burning incense on bricks;
4 Who sit among graves and spend the night in secret places;
Who eat swine’s flesh,
And the broth of unclean meat is in their pots.
5 “Who say, ‘Keep to yourself, do not come near me,
For I am holier than you!’
These are smoke in My nostrils,
A fire that burns all the day.
6 “Behold, it is written before Me,
I will not keep silent, but I will repay; I will even repay into their bosom,
7 Both their own iniquities and the iniquities of their fathers together,” says the Lord.
“Because they have burned incense on the mountains
And scorned Me on the hills,
Therefore I will measure their former work into their bosom.”

This is speaking of the 2nd comming:
Isaiah 66:15 For behold, the Lord will come in fire
And His chariots like the whirlwind,
To render His anger with fury,
And His rebuke with flames of fire.
16 For the Lord will execute judgment by fire
And by His sword on all flesh,
And those slain by the Lord will be many.
17 “Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go to the gardens,
Following one in the center,
Who eat swine’s flesh, detestable things and mice,
Will come to an end altogether,” declares the Lord.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Forgive me if I wasn't clear.  The Ceremonial law dealt with how Israel worshiped God.  It pointed to Jesus.  He has fulfilled this part of the law, so we, as Christians are not bound by it.  In all honesty, Jews aren't either, because whether they believe it or not, Jesus has fulfilled it.

I said national Israel because it was a law for Israel, as opposed to just Jews.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]
When Paul addressed the Corinthians he talked about meat sacrificed to idols.  It seems it would fit here as well.

So if a Christian with a weak conscious thinks they should eat Kosher food, than you should as well when they are around?  Seems to fit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#19]
There was a transitionary period between Judaism and Christianity as we know it. Before Peter's vision in Acts 10, the Gospel of Jesus Christ was only available to Jews. If someone wanted to become "Christian", they had to be Jewish first. Jesus was very strict about only "ministering" to Jews. He still loved everyone, and took time to teach them if he crossed their path, but in terms of his "flock" it was exclusively comprised of Jews. This continued after His ascension, until He notified His chief Apostle via revelation that it was time to bring the Gospel to those outside Judaism. 

This revelation was given in the form of alimentary restrictions, demonstrating to Peter that what was previously considered ceremoniously unclean is now clean. While the revelation itself was in reference to Gentiles, it can be argued that 1) as many teachings in the Bible, there can be more than strictly one meaning, and/or 2) that regardless of whether or not the dream is interpreted to SPECIFICALLY apply to dietary restrictions, the principle of "what was previously unclean [under the Mosaic Law] is no longer unclean [under the New Covenant]", and that such dietary restrictions would be included in that adjustment. 

Also, we must understand what the Bible is. It is not a complete and thorough record of every word Jesus spoke, or teaching he taught, and there are many principles that must be understood through inference. Indeed, such is the reason for the numerous and diverse Christian denominations we see today... if there was only ONE clear and infallible way to understand/interpret the ideas, ordinances, principles and teachings of the Bible, then there would be only one Christian denomination. 

The Bible is comprised of 1) the historical accounts - The Four Gospels, which describe Christ's ministry and life and the Acts of the apostles immediately after Christ's departure, and 2) the Epistles, or the letters the apostles wrote to the various congregations that they had established throughout the region in attempts to offer support, insight, and also to address issues that the apostles had recognized or of which they had been notified in certain congregations/areas. These Epistles, or letters, are organized by author and then from longest to shortest. They are not chronologically or topically organized. They are also not every letter ever written by the apostles. Several epistles reference prior communications of which we have no record. These are just the letters that were preserved and later consolidated. 

One of the biggest and most common issues about which the apostles wrote in their epistles, was the tendency of converts to attempt to maintain their prior theological traditions. Paul especially addressed this on several occasions. Circumcision was a big one. It was mandated under Mosaic Law, and uncircumcised was considered "unclean". Jewish converts were insisting that Gentile converts to Christianity be circumcised, despite such ceremonial ordinances no longer being necessary under the "New Covenant". He spent a lot of time trying to help them understand that the Mosaic Law was in preparation of Christ's law, and that the Mosaic law was fulfilled, sacrifices were obsolete, "clean" standards were obsolete, and that they just needed to let their old traditions go and embrace the NEW law... which, as Paul explained, was primarily focused on the SPIRIT of the law, rather than the LETTER of the law. 

So while it might not say anywhere explicitly that "the Mosaic law's dietary restrictions are obsolete", we can infer from the apostles' teachings about peripheral Judaic customs and their obsoletion under the New law that, like circumcision and animal sacrifices, any Mosaic physical demonstrations of spiritual cleanliness, which would include dietary categorization of clean or unclean animals, would all be equally obsolete. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top