Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2017 2:41:01 PM EDT
I am posting this here for peoples stories and experiences with biblical counseling. I am taking a class that is making me rethink church, christianity, laws and ethics and everything else and i am at a point where I don't know what I believe and why. I just can't agree with this movement and for people to call themselves counselors after only taking a two day course or some hogwash like that and saying there is no such thing as mental illness and that medications are a ''heresy'' against scripture.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am posting this here for peoples stories and experiences with biblical counseling. I am taking a class that is making me rethink church, christianity, laws and ethics and everything else and i am at a point where I don't know what I believe and why. I just can't agree with this movement and for people to call themselves counselors after only taking a two day course or some hogwash like that and saying there is no such thing as mental illness and that medications are a ''heresy'' against scripture.
View Quote

I would think any person that would say this would be miss informed. If you believe in Christ, why shouldn't you be able to use a counselor that agreed with your values? These people aren't doctors that can prescribe meds. I look at this more as people that seek alternatives to meds. No one solutions fits everyone. If they are helping people improve their lives, I agree with their work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
</strong>

I would think any person that would say this would be miss informed. If you believe in Christ, why shouldn't you be able to use a counselor that agreed with your values? These people aren't doctors that can prescribe meds. I look at this more as people that seek alternatives to meds. No one solutions fits everyone. If they are helping people improve their lives, I agree with their work.
View Quote

This, not all medical solutions (prescription drugs) are the best solution.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been reading some of your threads OP and can only encourage you to continue to question what you are being taught.

Jesus is who He said He is.  Much of what we have been and are being taught about Him today is bogus and corrupt.  Don't abandon your faith....keep pushing forward.  I've been where you are and it's for your growth and good that this is happening now.  

Seek Him with all your heart and He will let you find Him.  Wear your Bible out.....
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The military tries to argue this to justify the chaplains and pretend they aren't an illegal government funded and sanctioned religion. These "counselors" are woefully unprepared to deal with many issues, and use a religious slant to deal with issues. I had a good friend of mine out in Bahrain with me, whose wife was bankrupting them and treating him like garbage. The chaplain acting as a counselor, just kept slipping in things about how god doesn't approve of divorce, instead of actually helping the guy with his problems.

*I know this is the religion forum. My post was not disrespectful and is simply a countering point of view to what is likely to be the standard in here. Polite discourse is allowed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
None of that should make you question your faith.

The Bible speaks of those who will come and try to twist the Word.

god makes some people big bucks, it gives others immense power. Why not push it further into other areas?

But,

Not all mental illness is chemical imbalances. If you've ever seen the true face of evil in a person, you, regardless of your beliefs, have to agree that literally the debbil is straight up working in some people. Some embrace it, others are tortured and fight it until their last breath.

God made this world. Medication is in this world. There is no good argument for not using medication that is indicated for a disease, except this: don't allow medications to be your God. The answer becomes another pill and not getting on your knees and seeking God first. Maybe He intervenes in a supernatural way, maybe he made prozac just for what's going on.

As we get further and further from His will, cancers and other unplanned changes to our bodies will become more frequent. As God appeased us even in the Old Testament, He continues to appease us and our lack of faith with pharmaceuticals, I believe. Do not put the Lord thy God to a test; if he's provided the answers in a hospital setting, only a fool would deny the power of healing. But never stop praying, and be thankful always for His responses.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The military tries to argue this to justify the chaplains and pretend they aren't an illegal government funded and sanctioned religion. These "counselors" are woefully unprepared to deal with many issues, and use a religious slant to deal with issues. I had a good friend of mine out in Bahrain with me, whose wife was bankrupting them and treating him like garbage. The chaplain acting as a counselor, just kept slipping in things about how god doesn't approve of divorce, instead of actually helping the guy with his problems.

*I know this is the religion forum. My post was not disrespectful and is simply a countering point of view to what is likely to be the standard in here. Polite discourse is allowed.
View Quote
I didn't take it as disrespectful at all.

First, I want to say I'm sorry that incident has shaped how you view Christianity. And I'm terribly sorry the Sailor didn't get the counseling and guidance he clearly needed.

But...

Have you ever seen an idiot mechanic? The lady with the lowest acceptable gpa still is a doctor. Not all Christians would have handled the situation the same, and there is Biblical justification for having to make hard decisions like in this case. The first decision, should almost always be to try and come before God and reconcile the Sailor and his out of bounds wife, and maybe that was the chaplins' ham-handed concept. Plus, not really much you can do when you're halfway around the planet and only get to talk for so much time in a week....

I hope things got better for your friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top