Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2016 3:48:21 PM EDT
The Workers in the Vineyard (Matthew 20:1-16)

This parable isn’t explained by Christ, but rather it explains what Christ means when he spoke on another topic. Preceding this parable is the conversation with the Disciples where explains what happened with the Rich Young Ruler (Matt 19:16-22). At the end of his explanation to the disciples is the conclusion:

19:30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

Which is how he ends the parable of the workers:

20:16 So the last will be first, and the first last.

The conversation between Jesus and the ruler ends with the ruler going away disappointed. He think he can earn his way into the Kingdom of God. Christ points out that his possessions are standing in the way:

19:20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

However after the Ruler leaves, Jesus expands upon his conversation with the disciples:

19:23 And Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”

Peter and the disciples see this interaction through a 1st century Jewish perspective where a rich man is closer to the kingdom than anybody else. And they ask with much astonishment:

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

The apostles are basically asking “If a rich guy can’t be saved, then who can be saved?”

Christ responds with:

26 But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Christ points out however that Rich men and Poor men enter the kingdom of God the same way, with God’s help. However, Peter goes off the rails and points out his own works:

27 Then Peter said in reply, “See, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?”

Peter points out that he has in fact left everything as Christ commanded the Rich Young Ruler. Hasn’t he earned his way into the kingdom?

28 Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Note that Christ is emphasizing the “follow me” part of the requirements. It isn’t about the possessions, it is about the “follow me”.  This was Peter’s problem, what did he do at the crucifixion? He wasn’t there. What was he doing when Christ rose? He was fishing. With God’s help, Peter would overcome these things. Note here that one of the disciples hearing this teaching wouldn’t make it into the kingdom.

29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

And note the next thing. Peter thought he was part of an exclusive club. Christ disabuses him of that notion. Notice those words “or”, they aren’t “and”. This leaves room for a lot of people.

And now we reach the parable.

1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 After agreeing with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

The original laborers were hired for a formal and legal agreed upon price and they were sent into the vineyard.

3 And going out about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the marketplace, 4 and to them he said, ‘You go into the vineyard too, and whatever is right I will give you.’ 5 So they went. Going out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour, he did the same. 6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing. And he said to them, ‘Why do you stand here idle all day?’ 7 They said to him, ‘Because no one has hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’

Notice the workers hired later are not hired for a specific wage, but “whatsoever is right”. Their reward is not a negotiated a legal reward that is earned, but one of grace.

(Actually the words are “they will be made right”, which is what the follower of Christ hopes for. That they will be made righteous, i.e. "justified" or "righteousified".)

8 And when evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first.’

Under the Law of Moses, payment was made at the end of the day (Lev 19:13). However, you would expect that those hired first would be paid first. Instead the master first pays the last ones hired.

This may also be a picture of the judgment seat. If the Lord came today, the last generation might be the first to see the judgment seat.

9 And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius. 10 Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius.

Much to the astonishment of the hardest workers, everybody is paid the same amount. Peter, in the previous conversation is like these laborers. He thinks he should receive more than the rest. Jesus is telling Peter something.

11 And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house, 12 saying, ‘These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat.’

This turn of events does not strike the flesh as “equitable” or “fair”. The hardest working naturally complain. However, the last ones hired will likely react with gratitude. They have enough to live on, even though they were only hired for 1 hour.  The guys who worked all day only complain about one group of people, the ones hired last. If this a picture of the judgment seat, and this is the last generation, they are complaining about the cushy lives of this generation, while they faced persecution.

13 But he replied to one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you. 15 Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?’

The master didn’t do anything wrong. He honored his agreements, but was also generous. His generosity wasn’t appreciated by those who want “equitable” and “fair”. They wish to deny the master the opportunity to be generous. And as a result, the attitude of hardest workers has turned the generosity of the master into evil.

The ESV hides something here that the KJV brings out. “Is it not Lawful” for the master to do with his money what he will. The law does not preclude generosity to somebody else. This is a weakness of those wanting “fairness” and “law”.

Jesus is trying to unravel something in Peter’s mind. That the rewards in the kingdom are purely at the discretion of the master. He will bless whom he will bless. The attitude of the hardest workers rather than their hard work has moved them from first to last:

16 So the last will be first, and the first last.

The story of the Rich Young Ruler was a lesson to Peter, and to anybody who thinks they have earned the favor of God over their brethren.

And likewise, it is a lesson to anybody who believes themselves to be spiritually strong, that God can chose to honor whomever he wishes. Those who consider themselves spiritually strong have to guard against the attitude of pride and entitlement that would turn God’s blessings into evil. Instead they should be happy that those they deem weak are also blessed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a quite novel, and the most unnaturally stretched interpretation of that passage that I have ever read.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
TLDR version, read the OP's last three sentences.

TWIRE didn't suggest the OP "got it wrong," rather, he suggests he's a bit winded about the explanation.  OP did get it right, but this is not a commonly disputed passage.  It is, nonetheless, a powerful reminder for those who fear spiritual pride.  It is a very dangerous and sneaky thing.  One must always consider other beliefs first with humility.  In my opinion, however, not at the cost of one's sanity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top