Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2016 4:11:06 PM EDT
I am not interested so much in whether it is mandatory or optional, but in your experiences with tithing or not tithing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I do.  I have been blessed for it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I do what I can, when I can. But feel I could always do more.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I do it.  First fruits.  It actually makes one feel wealthier to give money to others.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I involuntarily give more than 10% to others thru my taxes, so I consider myself done with it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Last church I stepped foot in with my wife told us they needed to see our check stubs to "ensure we tithed correctly".  I told them no thanks and walked out.  That was the last straw for me and organized religion, I believe that churches are a creation of man. I worship in my own way in my own fashion.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It will bring you great financial blessings, and it teaches proper money management.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my squadron commanders put a big jar on the Mission Control counter and told everyone he expected them to tithe 10% of their per diem checks.

The jar remained pretty much empty.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.  The cattle on a thousand hills belong to the Lord.  Does He need our tithe?  No.  We benefit when we tithe, though not necessarily materially.  I'm not preaching prosperity theology here.

Quoted:
Last church I stepped foot in with my wife told us they needed to see our check stubs to "ensure we tithed correctly".  I told them no thanks and walked out.  That was the last straw for me and organized religion, I believe that churches are a creation of man. I worship in my own way in my own fashion.

God isn't in that church, and there's no reason for anyone else to be either.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't be in A church.  Find one where Jesus is loved and the Bible is respected and taught as God's word, then go there.

Hebrews 10, v. 24 & 25 New International Version (NIV)
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,  not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Not necessary, but should not make things worse.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something very similar happened to us right after I took a 48.3% pay cut. We were told we weren't giving enough.

We never went back.

I feel exactly the same about organized religion. If people are involved, it is corrupt.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]
When I started tithing, money and other blessings came back to me in far greater proportion.

I would expect that one would have to do it with the proper motives, however.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
We tithe 10% of gross income.  It is a way of giving back some to the Lord's work, even though we could never pay back what he has done for us.

We give an offering on top of that, mostly toward foreign missions and helping other Christians or non-Christians that need help.  I look at this as part of my investments.  

Our church keeps track of giving, so they can give you a record for tax time.  I don't think our pastor ever sees these.  Nor does anyone check your pay stubs.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#13]
The more I bless others the more I am blessed.
Everything I have is His my job is to steward it.
I do not give to any church because I haven't found one that isn't corrupt.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
It's easy to save the man but it's much harder to save the wallet.

People that don't tithe or share their wealth are usually bitter and critical.

He who turns his ear from the cry of the poor will himself eventually cry out in need.

You cannot serve two masters.

Matt 25  When did you see me hungry thirsty naked homeless sick or in prison
When you did it to any of these you did it to me, enter in to the joy of your master.

When you didn't do it to any of these you didn't do it to me, depart from me you who practice lawlessness.

Cant find a good church to tithe to?   Look for a Christian shelter to help then or start your own.

Jesus paid it all, all to him I owe.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The more I bless others the more I am blessed.
Everything I have is His my job is to steward it.
I do not give to any church because I haven't found one that isn't corrupt.
View Quote

And you never will, for ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  

Find a church that loves Jesus Christ, teaches the Bible as the Word of God, and has accountability to the ECFA.  That's as good as it's going to get.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

A church actually tried to pull that on you??! Wow! I don't think all churches are bad but I agree completely with you walking out...I'm sorry you were treated that way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
We tithe 10 percent on my income and usually donate 10 percent of the wifes to various Christian organizations. I think we should assure the funds actually do Gods work to the best of our ability.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I the screaming atheist will drop money in the box earmarked for benevolence funding only when I attend with my wife.    

I also donate the Alzheimers Association, and to a kidney donation fund for my daugher.  I will give my time to those who can't help themselves or to those who need a hand with something they are trying to do on their own.

I won't pay an entry fee for the pastors' paychecks, the building, the trappings of a church or anything like that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I involuntarily give more than 10% to others thru my taxes, so I consider myself done with it.
View Quote

Basically this. I used to give to various charities but since the .gov has become so entrenched in the charity business I'm out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Our church never passes a plate, we have a box in the back to drop your check. We try to operate in the spirit of what Paul said in

2 Corinthians 9:6-8

6 Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. 7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” 8 And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.

The pastor says if your not a cheerful giver dont give, our church operates on a 11 month budget, in January whatever you were gonna give to the church he tells us to look around us and meet a need with what we were going to give to the church, people in need etc
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#21]
2 Corinthians 9:7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I do.  I go to a relatively small church, so I more or less know what the money is spent on.  I know what programs we are involved in, and I know what maintenance needs to be done.    

I would have a harder time if my preacher flew around in a private jet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I am a cheap SOB and even while working in the church I found legalistic reasons I didn't need to pay up.  And I done missed the point entirely.  It has nothing to do with God needing "my" money.  I am pretty sure he could figure out a way.

My wife is a generous person and beat it in to me we WERE tithing.  Not all of it had to go into plate, but all of it had to go somewhere.  I have helped pay the pastor's salary.  I have helped launch a brand new faith based pregnancy center in a town lacking one.  I have even bought groceries for a hungry family or two.

These things were all worth every penny.  I have had the immense blessing to literally be doing God's work and seeing his blessings.  We can all sit around confident that the government programs will help.  But we all have the chance to walk into the world and literally be the answer to someone's prayers.

And "my" money I gave up?  I can't say I have missed it and I haven't a clue in the world how I would have spent it better.  After all, that is the point.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I do what I can, when I can. But feel I could always do more.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Our church never passes a plate, we have a box in the back to drop your check. We try to operate in the spirit of what Paul said in

2 Corinthians 9:6-8

6 Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. 7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” 8 And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.

The pastor says if your not a cheerful giver dont give, our church operates on a 11 month budget, in January whatever you were gonna give to the church he tells us to look around us and meet a need with what we were going to give to the church, people in need etc
View Quote

Quoted for truth.  Notice how it says "You must each decide in your heart how much to give".

No where in the New Testament is tithing commanded.  We are not under the law.

Also, in reality, Jews under the law were commanded to give much more than 10% through various other laws in the old covenant.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I the screaming atheist will drop money in the box earmarked for benevolence funding only when I attend with my wife.    

I also donate the Alzheimers Association, and to a kidney donation fund for my daugher.  I will give my time to those who can't help themselves or to those who need a hand with something they are trying to do on their own.

I won't pay an entry fee for the pastors' paychecks, the building, the trappings of a church or anything like that.
View Quote

Good for you op. I personally believe that those type of gifts are just as important in God's eyes as giving to the church.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#28]
As a little kid, I stole some envelopes out of the tithing box outside the front door of our church. They only had checks in them. I was confused and asked my grandma how to spend them and she knew right away where I'd gotten them. She whipped my ass good and took me back to church and made me go personally give them to the preacher and tell him what I'd done. He said what I did was wrong but he forgave me. I told my grandma he acted more like Jesus than she did. She whipped me again.

Moral of the story: I now stay the hell away from tithing boxes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

We tithe 10% of gross income.  It is a way of giving back some to the Lord's work, even though we could never pay back what he has done for us.

We give an offering on top of that, mostly toward foreign missions and helping other Christians or non-Christians that need help.  I look at this as part of my investments.  

Our church keeps track of giving, so they can give you a record for tax time.  I don't think our pastor ever sees these.  Nor does anyone check your pay stubs.
View Quote
Since we started tithing 10% we have seen his blessings multiply in our lives.  We used to think $25 per week was generous, we finally realized that if we did not believe in the tithe we were saying we we're basically picking and choosing which part of Gods word we were going to follow. Prior to tithing we were blessed, I can now say the floodgates of heaven opened for us.  Our church encourages and speaks to the tithe, also stating that it can be to any church even if you attend ours.  We even offer a 90 day tithe challenge, if you feel your life has not changed the church will give you the money back.

We have a youth program that focuses on our future, taking over 5000 kids to a week long retreat this year, along with 2500 staff and volunteers. This is a small part of what our church does, and every time we hear of another crossing from death to life I could not feel more proud that our obedience to Gods word has helped save another soul.

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.”

??Malachi? ?3:10? ?NIV??

http://bible.com/111/mal.3.10.niv

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Malachi 3:10 is in the context of the Levites not giving the 10% of their income, which came from the 10% the nation of Israel gave, to the Priests, as they were directed to under the Mosaic law. It has nothing to do with the gentile church, especially since we are not under the law (Gal. 2:16, Romans 10:4).
Tithing in the OT was basically Israel's tax system, since the Levites were the priests and administrators. It is not a requirement in the NT, and run from any preacher that tells you it is.

Never tithe out of the expectation that God will give you something for it, like a vending machine. Never shirk your family or your debts to tithe. Give what you can, and with a glad heart.
This is a Biblical analysis of tithing (though I don't endorse anything else on that site since I haven't looked at it much), as is this sermon:

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Something very similar happened to us right after I took a 48.3% pay cut. We were told we weren't giving enough.

We never went back.

I feel exactly the same about organized religion. If people are involved, it is corrupt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We never went back.

Where do you guys find these churches? I've moved around a fair bit, have had membership in quite a few congregations, and have never seen anything close to what you guys are describing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Malachi 3:10 is in the context of the Levites not giving the 10% of their income, which came from the 10% the nation of Israel gave, to the Priests, as they were directed to under the Mosaic law. It has nothing to do with the gentile church, especially since we are not under the law (Gal. 2:16, Romans 10:4).

Tithing in the OT was basically Israel's tax system, since the Levites were the priests and administrators. It is not a requirement in the NT, and run from any preacher that tells you it is.

Never tithe out of the expectation that God will give you something for it, like a vending machine. Never shirk your family or your debts to tithe. Give what you can, and with a glad heart.

This is a Biblical analysis of tithing (though I don't endorse anything else on that site since I haven't looked at it much), as is this sermon:

https://youtu.be/-4P1seHSHEY

View Quote
I don't feel it is a requirement, it is what he asks for and I willing give and we feel we have seen many more blessings. Part of that blessing is seeing our church grow and spread his word.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#33]
The law is not a requirement for salvation.  It is an example of Gods Holliness.  Adherence to it is impossible and therefore not a requirement for our salvation.  However in life we have two options...try to follow Gods law, or Mans Law.  And when they contradict, it is man trying to justify that he has a better way than God.  I know the path I try to stay on.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The law is not a requirement for salvation.  It is an example of Gods Holliness.  Adherence to it is impossible and therefore not a requirement for our salvation.  However in life we have two options...try to follow Gods law, or Mans Law.  And when they contradict, it is man trying to justify that he has a better way than God.  I know the path I try to stay on.
View Quote
Umm....

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all[h] who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

Romans 10:3 - For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Galatians 2:16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”[e] 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith.”[f] 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them.”[g]

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[h]), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Gal. 3:24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Gal 5:4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I don't feel it is a requirement, it is what he asks for and I willing give and we feel we have seen many more blessings. Part of that blessing is seeing our church grow and spread his word.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/-4P1seHSHEY

Just understand that Malachi 3:10 has nothing to do with Christians tithing.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Umm....

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all[h] who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

Romans 10:3 - For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Galatians 2:16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”[e] 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith.”[f] 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them.”[g]

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[h]), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Gal. 3:24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Gal 5:4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Umm....

I didn't say try to follow it for salvation.  It has nothing to do with that.  I can't follow it.  But I can try because of love.  Do you not murder because God said not to? Or because you would get arrested? The law has always been Gods standard.  Able was held accountable for murder before God gave the 10 commandments.  Joseph knew it was wrong to sleep with another man's wife before God wrote it down.  Again, we aren't saved by the law.  That is by faith.  Are we wrong to try and live the way God wishes us to?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I didn't say try to follow it for salvation.  It has nothing to do with that.  I can't follow it.  But I can try because of love.  Do you not murder because God said not to? Or because you would get arrested?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Umm....

I didn't say try to follow it for salvation.  It has nothing to do with that.  I can't follow it.  But I can try because of love.  Do you not murder because God said not to? Or because you would get arrested?

Amen!

Following our Father's instructions was never a means for salvation.
Obedience leads  to blessing, and disobedience leads to curses.
On the other hand, none of His ordinances, that apply to the person addressed, and don't require a Priest, Temple, or being in the Land, are impossible to keep.
We follow our Father's loving instructions, that He gave us for our benefit, because we love Him, and because He is actually smarter than we are, no matter what any pin-headed theologian might say!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

On the other hand, none of His ordinances, that apply to the person addressed, and don't require a Priest, Temple, or being in the Land, are impossible to keep.

View Quote

Problem is, if you try to live by the law, and fail at one point, you've failed it all (James 2:10). The temple ordinances were part of the law.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Problem is, if you try to live by the law, and fail at one point, you've failed it all (James 2:10). The temple ordinances were part of the law.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are throwing up Scripture out of context. (James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.)

Here is the verses before and after, but actually, context comes from the entirety of Scripture.

9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You are throwing up Scripture out of context. (James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.)
Here is the verses before and after, but actually, context comes from the entirety of Scripture.

9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery,” also said, "Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery,” also said, "Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.
Point still stands. James made a blanket statement there. BTW remember He also said lust is adultery and hate is murder. Good luck keeping all 613 statues.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks, but I don't need luck. You act like it's sin to obey our Father's loving instruction, when actually disobedience=sin.

Even though I can't keep them all 100%, my Father provided me with His ordinances to show me my sins, the Spirit to help me, and the Messiah to redeem me.

Matthew 5:19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

P.S. I'm not going to get in a typing match with you. This thread is about tithes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Thanks, but I don't need luck. You act like it's sin to obey our Father's loving instruction, when actually disobedience=sin.

Even though I can't keep them all 100%, my Father provided me with His ordinances to show me my sins, the Spirit to help me, and the Messiah to redeem me.

Matthew 5:19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
P.S. I'm not going to get in a typing match with you. This thread is about tithes.
View Quote
"Everything that is not of faith is sin" -Romans 14:23

"10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith.” 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them.”

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith." - Galatians 3

Again, good luck with that.

BTW, speaking of context, the Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5-7) wasn't about how you can be saved by following the law, it was how you can't follow the law and therefore need the Messiah to do it for you. In effect, you annul the law by trying to follow it for justification, rather than take the imputed righteousness of Christ.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#43]
No one is saying to follow the law in order to be justified.  But it is not wrong to try to follow it because it is right.  Do you try not to commit adultery?  Then you try to follow some of the law at least.  So are you damned?  No.  Because you aren't looking for justification through it.  I'm just saying in lots of cases man chooses what parts he will follow, because it suits his purposes.  God gave us the standard.  No one but Jesus can live up to it.  That doesn't change the standard of righteousness. Again, we are saved by the grace of Jesus through our faith.  End of story.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I tithe 10% of my takehome pay, plus about $200/mo in other offerings.

When it comes to my bottom line, I've noticed no change in the amount of surplus money I have at the end of the month. Not sure exactly how that worked out, but somehow I'm spending less, roughly equivalent to my tithe, every month. No other major life changes as a result of paying more tithe.

It was something I struggled with a lot. If you do some google searches on simply you'll find half the results are churches asking for tithe + other stuff that can push 40% of your income, and the other half of are long stories trying to justify not paying tithe.

The way I see it, it costs money to run a church and I want to pay my share.

ETA: The bickering and bullshit happening in this thread is a great example of the shit that got me to walk away from church for a decade.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

No one is saying to follow the law in order to be justified.
 But it is not wrong to try to follow it because it is right.  Do you try not to commit adultery?  Then you try to follow some of the law at least.  So are you damned?  No.  Because you aren't looking for justification through it.  I'm just saying in lots of cases man chooses what parts he will follow, because it suits his purposes.  God gave us the standard.  No one but Jesus can live up to it.  That doesn't change the standard of righteousness. Again, we are saved by the grace of Jesus through our faith.  End of story.
View Quote
The SDA do.

John MacArthur does, usually after he gives lip-service to grace by faith alone, then he lays in with the law. Paul Washer just jumps straight into it. There are many "faith+" gospels out there that teach that works/law are necessary after or before.

But that's for another thread.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#46]
It was the best financial decision I ever made. I've been doing it for around 4 years and I'm more blessed than I could have ever imagined.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The SDA do.

John MacArthur does, usually after he gives lip-service to grace by faith alone, then he lays in with the law. Paul Washer just jumps straight into it. There are many "faith+" gospels out there that teach that works/law are necessary after or before.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one is saying to follow the law in order to be justified.  But it is not wrong to try to follow it because it is right.  Do you try not to commit adultery?  Then you try to follow some of the law at least.  So are you damned?  No.  Because you aren't looking for justification through it.  I'm just saying in lots of cases man chooses what parts he will follow, because it suits his purposes.  God gave us the standard.  No one but Jesus can live up to it.  That doesn't change the standard of righteousness. Again, we are saved by the grace of Jesus through our faith.  End of story.
The SDA do.

This may be my misunderstanding of "salvation" vs "justification" vs "sanctification" in your statement, but I spent 6 (or more) days per week in SDA institutions (school+church) for more than 19 years and never heard a pastor say you need to follow the law to be saved.

We're all sinful, and that's an impossible standard for a sinful man to meet. If we weren't sinful, we wouldn't need to be saved.

Should we try to do what God said because it makes life easier for us and everyone around us? Yes.
Should we try to do what God said because God said we should do it? Yes.
Do we have to always follow every letter and punctuation mark in the Bible to be saved? No.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top