Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2016 5:31:45 PM EDT
I've been processing this idea for some time and I think I'm going to move forward. I understand all nations from the beginning of history have fought for independence and their beliefs. In Old Testament times war was commanded by God to preserve His chosen nation.
But - from what I understand - that changed with the life and death of the Christ.  And my little cache isn't going to do much more than provide a few deer for the table if society collapses - from the photos I've seen of the Florida SWAT I am miserably outfitted to even pretend I could be part of any force.
So ....my ONLY hope is to put everything I have into getting myself / family right with God. And as an act of faith selling my semi-auto rifles and keeping something for hunting and a pistol to keep from being preyed upon when we're trying to live a peaceful existence.
Do I sound confused...? I am. At least about the stocking up for a SHTF scenario - not in my belief in the God of Israel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
To each their own, but during a SHTF situation it won't be SWAT coming to take your food. It will be your neighbors

and you damn well better be armed better than them.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"If you want peace, prepare for war"

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
First and foremost, your job is to protect your family.  If something happens, and you might have been able to effect a different outcome with something you got rid of, is that something you can live with?

Everything I do - house, vehicles, firearms, etc. is in the context of, "Will this help me to protect my family?"
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I see no reason why you have to sell anything to get right with your God.

God helps those who help themself.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And as an act of faith selling my semi-auto rifles

Do I sound confused...? I am.
View Quote

Yes you are confused, you sound like one who would give up Godly principles to cater to progressive opinion.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Not only are you confused, but you sound like you are failing at husbanding your family.  Very few things in the material realm will protect your family like firearms.  Having them and not needing them is how you show your wife and kids you love them.

Jeesh, what have they been preaching at your church?

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not only are you confused, but you sound like you are failing at husbanding your family.  Very few things in the material realm will protect your family like firearms.  Having them and not needing them is how you show your wife and kids you love them.

Jeesh, what have they been preaching at your church?

View Quote

It's nothing that's being preached - outside of mainstream media which is of no concern to me. It's been through a lot of soul searching and prayer as the world falls apart around us. I'm not advocating my ideas on anyone else so don't take it that way. Also I'm confident I'm not failing as a father - short story my wife and i have fostered over 80 - kids in our home, adopted 5 special needs and provided care for parents ( one with Parkinson and one with Alhiemers), siblings , homeless.....and I could go on but if you haven't done any of the previous you couldn't understand.  And I'm not bragging - all of that stuff was God's way of growing me up. HE called and I had to step up.

I have a strong sense of being the protector and provider of my family and I firmly believe every person has the fundemental right to protect themselves from harm wherever it may come from. So I'm not quite sure where this is coming from - other than some of the few people who REALLY changed the world promoted peace over violence. And no I'm not so delusional as to think I'm Ghandi or some shit.

I suppose I'm talking out loud and looking for discussion from other like-minded ( and I mean men who have families they love and know the one true God ). To be totally honest I have never served in the Military and the idea of war scares the crap out of me. On the flip side I won't stand down to the face of evil. I have had a lot of anxiety about world events and believe we are on the brink. It's probably true that I don't need to disarm to carry the Sword of Truth....but I also know that I better not be relying on myself as much as the Creator of the Universe.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Matthew 6:25-34 may give you some comfort.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
While I believe we shouldo believe that God  an and will help us through any situation I also don't think we are supposed to just sit around hoping for someone to save us and not do anything ourselves.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While I believe we shouldo believe that God  an and will help us through any situation I also don't think we are supposed to just sit around hoping for someone to save us and not do anything ourselves.
View Quote

This. We don't tempt God by driving down a road with our eyes closed trusting that God will ensure our safe arrival. We're expected to do our part.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Luke 22:36 And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:keeping something for hunting and a pistol to keep from being preyed upon when we're trying to live a peaceful existence.
View Quote

Quoted that for the folks who seem to have missed it in your op.

Honestly, if you're trying to increase the faith of you and your family and you don't need the money, get rid of cable television.  Use the time you spend watching TV to do things as a family, read good books, pray, etc.

Hypocritical for me to say because I haven't done it, but I know a few families who have and they all think it's great.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Christ brings you freedom, including that to own guns.  It isn't what Christ did, plus anything you did.  Either you believe he did it all on the cross or not.  It would also not be your place to take to the streets and shoot at people, so the role of your gun would be more of provision and just because you enjoy it.  If you think you will show God how good you are by some leap of faith, save it.  He knows what you truly are, and sent his Son to take care of that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not really sure I understand your logic....

You mentioned keeping a pistol so that you will not be "preyed upon".  That seems to indicate that you are willing to use violence to protect yourself and your family.

If so, then why sell other firearms that do the same thing?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That statement or anything that could be paraphrased that way is no where to be found in the bible. The bible teaches otherwise.

Jesus called them over and said to them, “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles dominate them, and their men of high positions exercise power over them. But it must not be like that among you. On the contrary, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be a slave to all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life—a ransom for many.”

Mark 10:42-45 | HCSB
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been processing this idea for some time and I think I'm going to move forward. I understand all nations from the beginning of history have fought for independence and their beliefs. In Old Testament times war was commanded by God to preserve His chosen nation.
But - from what I understand - that changed with the life and death of the Christ.  And my little cache isn't going to do much more than provide a few deer for the table if society collapses - from the photos I've seen of the Florida SWAT I am miserably outfitted to even pretend I could be part of any force.
So ....my ONLY hope is to put everything I have into getting myself / family right with God. And as an act of faith selling my semi-auto rifles and keeping something for hunting and a pistol to keep from being preyed upon when we're trying to live a peaceful existence.
Do I sound confused...? I am. At least about the stocking up for a SHTF scenario - not in my belief in the God of Israel.
View Quote

There are some things that I think could be clarified with scripture. "Stocking up" could be be okay or it could be a total lack of faith. If you spend every waking moment worrying about a "what if" scenario, than it is clearly non-biblical. Someone mentioned Matthew 6:24-34. That tells you how as a Christian you should go though your life when it comes to having basic needs met. But, preparing for things that could happen can also be a smart idea. Read Genesis 41 where Joepsh was put in charge by Pharaoh to store up goods for 7 years to prepare for an upcoming famine. I would say it's more of a state of your heart issue than action issue. God's goal with our lives is to make us more holy, not more wealthy regardless of what Joel Osteen says.  

As far as firearms, I'm not sure how getting rid of your semi-autos could be an act of faith. The act of defending yourself is clearly biblical. There is a long context behind the book of Esther, but in a nut shell the Jews by royal decree where permitted to defend themselves to the effect that the losses on the attacking army where over 300,000. If you have some time I would suggest reading Esther with a good commentary to get some more insight.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My opinion, and opinion only, is that you (and ONLY YOU) know what firearms are needed to provide for/protect your family, and which ones are not. Really. If you had to defend your family right now from armed attackers (forget the SWAT team, your not going to win that one), what would be the best firearm(s) you own to defend them with? Can this firearm also be used effectively for hunting, or do you need something else? Are you the only one in the family who can safely handle a firearm?

Don't over-analyze this stuff, just think and answer to yourself.

To be clear I am not telling you to get rid of anything. I am suggesting to you to keep what you need.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top