Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2016 6:57:44 PM EDT
Am I missing any?  (Lets not worry about purgatory for this discussion.)  This is my understanding, but dont have much to back it up.

Hades: what the ancient greeks understood to be the underworld, or where you go when you die.  I believe EVERYONE went here when they died?  Unless the were awesome in some manner and were awarded the very rare promotion to god status?   I guess different versions of the NT reference hades because it was written in greek and thats the closest translation to 'Sheol'?

Sheol:  ancient israeli, kinda close meaning to Hades, but I dont believe technically that is exactly corresponds.  no?  Isnt this where gentile and bad hebrews went when they died to wait some final judgement?  I dont believe this is hell.  is this fiery here?  pain and torment?  (note that my understanding, pre Christ, is that all gentiles are pretty much damned when they die, just because they arent Jewish?  not sure why I have this impression, cant find much to back it up, so I very well can be wrong)

Abrahams Bosom: pre Christ, is this where the good hebrews go when they die?  What about now?  What about Enoch & Elijah?  straight to Heaven/Paradise/Abrahams Bosom or what?

Hell?  Lake of fire?  same thing? I think somehow they are different.

Heaven, and Paradise?  same thing?  I think somehow they are different.

somehow I believe that some of these come into play at different times:  Creation of the Jewish race, crucifixion, judgement day?  and then even some maybe more after the 1000 years?

BTW, I was raised UPC, bailed when I turned 18.  no snakes or poison though, that I can recall but there was some rolling and tongues.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, at least one or two more we need to consider.

Jesus spoke of a place of outer darkness were there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Luke 13:27 and He will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.’ 28 “In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.

This is the one you never hear about much. Outside the Gates of the new city.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

Revelation 21:22 I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. 25 In the daytime (for there will be no night there) its gates will never be closed; 26 and they will bring the glory and the honor of the nations into it; 27 and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

And another interesting verse about who wont make it.  Notice who it starts with, cowards and unbelievers.  

Revelation 21:7 “He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son. 8 “But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Finally,   the admonishment to Laodicea,  

Revelation 3:15 ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 16 ‘So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

Makes you wonder were they go.  He is talking to his church so are they the ones outside the gates in the end ?

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Am I missing any?  (Lets not worry about purgatory for this discussion.)  This is my understanding, but dont have much to back it up.
View Quote

Tartarus. Mentioned once in Jude. He was mocking the belief, not endorsing. He was quoting the book of Enoch.

Too many quote blocks, so I'm not going to quote what I'm responding too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hades is the closes greek word to Sheol.

Sheol, the grave.

Abraham's Boosom is only mentioned once in the bible and it was by Jesus. He was condemning Annas and his 5 sons. I think there are some Jewish pseudepigrapha  that mention it.

Death and hell are thrown into the lake of fire. They are different.

Paradise has more to do with the Garden of Eden. Heaven is where God dwells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top