Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 5:45:42 PM EDT
The pastor at the church I attend said that if you are not a active member of a church you are not going to heaven. What do you think Scripture says about this?https://www.crossroadschristian.org/blogs/blog/117658885-if-you-don-t-go-to-church-can-you-still-go-to-heaven#.Vz8zox8OS44.facebook

UPDATE: The artical linked above is not the original. It's seem the author choose to edit it. Maybe enough people voiced their concerns.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a new pastor. Living a good life and believing in Jesus Christ as your Savior is what counts. Is going to church important, sure, but only because you get to hear the Word of God more and it will help you live a better life.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find a new pastor. Living a good life and believing in Jesus Christ as your Savior is what counts. Is going to church important, sure, but only because you get to hear the Word of God more and it will help you live a better life.
View Quote

The Enemy and his minions believe in Jesus Christ. Would you say that they're going to Heaven??

Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as your Savior is what gets you into Heaven, yes??
"Living a good life"??
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
What if you were stranded on an island for the rest of your life alone?  Are you damned then because there is no church?  What about people right after Christ? Wasn't a church everywhere then.  Heb 13:17 tells that we should go to Church and submit to the elders..but it's not a requirement.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Enemy and his minions believe in Jesus Christ. Would you say that they're going to Heaven??

Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as your Savior is what gets you into Heaven, yes??
"Living a good life"??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Living a good life"??

Deeds good or bad do not gain us heaven.  Easier for a camel to go thru the eye of a needle than a rich man
To enter the gates of heaven.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Going to church will not get you into Heaven.
Going to church will not keep you out of Hell.

In the story of Lazarus and the rich man, both Lazarus and Abraham are said to be in Heaven. Neither one went to church.

Jesus said "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved." He said nothing about church attendance as a prerequisite to salvation.

Most believers will seek out a fellowship of believers, and I believe that all believers would benefit from such a fellowship. Going to church and being at least theoretically accountable to fellow believers makes it more likely for me to avoid sin.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The church is what is in your heart not a building.  You go to a building to be with like minded people but going there gets you no "points".
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Living a good life"??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Living a good life"??

I know Jesus as my savior. That's what Jesus said it takes to be in Heaven. The guy in this artical is saying that's not enough.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know Jesus as my savior. That's what Jesus said it takes to be in Heaven. The guy in this artical is saying that's not enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Living a good life"??

The guy in the article is saying that the Church (which is the whole body of believers in Heaven and Earth) is the same thing as a church (the building at 4th and Main where the Methodists gather at 10 AM every Sunday).  The Good News of salvation is simple, and is not contained in that article.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Going to church will not get you into Heaven.
Going to church will not keep you out of Hell.

In the story of Lazarus and the rich man, both Lazarus and Abraham are said to be in Heaven. Neither one went to church.

Jesus said "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved." He said nothing about church attendance as a prerequisite to salvation.

Most believers will seek out a fellowship of believers, and I believe that all believers would benefit from such a fellowship. Going to church and being at least theoretically accountable to fellow believers makes it more likely for me to avoid sin.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Deeds good or bad do not gain us heaven.  Easier for a camel to go thru the eye of a needle than a rich man
View Quote

In the verses preceding what you paraphrased, above, when the young man who kept the commandments asked what else he needed to do to get to heaven, Jesus commanded him to perform three deeds:

1.)  Sell everything you have
2.)  Give to the poor
3.)  Come follow Me (i.e. join my community/Church)

Faith demands works.  Works are an expression of and serve to build our faith.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The pastor at the church I attend said that if you are not a active member of a church you are not going to heaven. What do you think Scripture says about this?https://www.crossroadschristian.org/blogs/blog/117658885-if-you-don-t-go-to-church-can-you-still-go-to-heaven#.Vz8zox8OS44.facebook
View Quote
so did he get a memo or something ?

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The guy in the article is saying that the Church (which is the whole body of believers in Heaven and Earth) is the same thing as a church (the building at 4th and Main where the Methodists gather at 10 AM every Sunday).  The Good News of salvation is simple, and is not contained in that article.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Living a good life"??

Do you have an opinion as to what the authors motivation is for writing this? Anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In the verses preceding what you paraphrased, above, when the young man who kept the commandments asked what else he needed to do to get to heaven, Jesus commanded him to perform three deeds:

2.)  Give to the poor

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2.)  Give to the poor

The Rich Young Ruler deceived himself and lied to Christ. No one has kept the commandments, and they were never meant to give eternal life:

Romans 3:21 But
now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by
the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through FAITH in
Jesus Christ, to all and ON ALL WHO BELIEVE. For there is no difference; 23 FOR
ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALL SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD, 24 being JUSTIFIED FREELY
BY HIS GRACE through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set
forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His
righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that
were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His
righteousness, that He might be just and the JUSTIFIER OF THE ONE WHO HAS FAITH
IN JESUS. 27 Where is
boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but BY THE LAW OF
FAITH. 28 Therefore we conclude that A MAN IS JUSTIFIED BY FAITH APART FROM THE
DEEDS OF THE LAW.

Also in Galatians:

Galatians 3:10: For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith.” 12 YET THE LAW IS NOT OF FAITH, but "the man who does them shall live by them.”

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit THROUGH FAITH.

And IF faith demanded works, then Paul couldn't write this:

Romans 4:2 For IF Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, BUT NOT BEFORE GOD. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now TO HIM WHO WORKS, the wages are NOT COUNTED AS GRACE but as debt. 5 But TO HIM WHO DOES NOT WORK BUT BELIEVES ON HIM who justifies the ungodly, HIS FAITH IS ACCOUNTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness APART from works.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

Titus 3:4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 NOT BY WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS WHICH WE HAVE DONE, but ACCORDING TO HIS MERCY HE SAVED US, THROUGH the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that HAVING BEEN JUSTIFIED BY HIS GRACE we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

And before you type "James 2!" Read this.

<o:p></o:p>

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah that article is bunk. None of the verses he cites says that going to church or being a member of one, according to their rules, is a requirement for eternal life; that's mixing grace and works, which the Bible says is impossible (Romans 11:6, Ephesians 2:8-9). Now the church isn't a group of people that meet every Sunday in a building that have by-laws and requirements for membership; it's all those who believe in Christ and have been baptized by the Holy Spirit and have been born again.
Run from this church; they don't understand the gospel (the Bible does teach eternal security, they cite Hebrews 6:4-8 as a proof that it does not, but that's out-of-context, see John 10:27-29 and Ephesians 1:13-14)
ETA: one of the churches on this map might be a better choice.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not about earning salvation.  If your faith doesn't change you and you aren't driven into action, you don't have faith to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you have an opinion as to what the authors motivation is for writing this? Anyone else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Living a good life"??

On its face, the purpose is to bring more people to church. The stated motive is to increase the number of people who will go to Heaven. I suspect that the actual motive is to bring more people to the author's church, for the consequent benefits to the institution and the author.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's not about earning salvation.  If your faith doesn't change you and you aren't driven into action, you don't have faith to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is saying that if you don't work, you don't have faith, which is to say you don't have salvation. So yes, it's saying you must work to have salvation, which is to say you must earn it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Which is saying that if you don't work, you don't have faith, which is to say you don't have salvation. So yes, it's saying you must work to have salvation, which is to say you must earn it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's saying if your faith does not manifest itself and result in real change, you don't have faith.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No, it's saying if your faith does not manifest itself and result in real change, you don't have faith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Define "real change"; be specific please.

And you already made a case for works being a part of faith, which the Bible contradicts.

Works can help faith grow, but faith without works is still faith, see James 2:26.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is saying that salvation produces works, not that works produce salvation. If I demonstrated that all Republicans own guns, you would presumably draw the insupportable conclusion that one must own a gun to be a Republican.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It is saying that salvation produces works, not that works produce salvation. If I demonstrated that all Republicans own guns, you would presumably draw the insupportable conclusion that one must own a gun to be a Republican.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John 6:64 is in reference to Judas, who produced works so well that the other disciples didn't suspect it was him that would betray Christ (Matthew 26:21-22).

Again, if salvation automatically produces works, then how can Paul write Romans 4:2-8, 1 Corinthians 3:15, and Ephesians 2:8-9? How could James write his letter encouraging "brethren" to work?

The issue isn't that people work after they have faith, it's what people say when people who say they have faith don't produce their idea of what works are necessary.

Not trying to argue, but there's a lot of bad, unbiblical doctrine being thrown around by some very popular people.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Living a good life"??

Well the Bible says he's wrong.

You know what's right, you posted it above.  Where'd you get that information?  Where'd that pastor get his?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Living a good life"??

Nicely put!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah that article is bunk. None of the verses he cites says that going to church or being a member of one, according to their rules, is a requirement for eternal life; that's mixing grace and works, which the Bible says is impossible (Romans 11:6, Ephesians 2:8-9). Now the church isn't a group of people that meet every Sunday in a building that have by-laws and requirements for membership; it's all those who believe in Christ and have been baptized by the Holy Spirit and have been born again.

Run from this church; they don't understand the gospel (the Bible does teach eternal security, they cite Hebrews 6:4-8 as a proof that it does not, but that's out-of-context, see John 10:27-29 and Ephesians 1:13-14)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It is saying John 6:64 is in reference to Judas, who produced works so well that the other disciples didn't suspect it was him that would betray Christ (Matthew 26:21-22).
View Quote

If stealing from the colection is your idea of producing works so well, I can see why you don't like works.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If stealing from the colection is your idea of producing works so well, I can see why you don't like works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is saying John 6:64 is in reference to Judas, who produced works so well that the other disciples didn't suspect it was him that would betray Christ (Matthew 26:21-22).

Well your little ad hominem also implicates Paul, who was adamate about salvation being a gift.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#27]
As a Catholic it is part of the Big 10. Specifically number 1 and number 3.

You shall have no other God's before me, Keep HOLY the Sabbath day; For Catholics that is Sunday in celebration of the resurrection.

It fulfills the three precepts of the CCC and really is not an option.

The first precept ("You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days
of obligation and rest from servile labor") requires the faithful to
sanctify the day commemorating the Resurrection of the Lord as well as
the principal liturgical feasts honoring the Mysteries of the Lord, the
Blessed Virgin Mary, and the saints; in the first place, by
participating in the Eucharistic
celebration, in which the Christian community is gathered, and by
resting from those works and activities which could impede such a
sanctification of these days.

The second precept ("You shall confess your sins at least once a
year") ensures preparation for the Eucharist by the reception of the
sacrament of reconciliation, which continues Baptism's work of
conversion and forgiveness.

The third precept ("You shall receive the sacrament of the
Eucharist at least during the Easter season") guarantees as a minimum
the reception of the Lord's Body and Blood in connection with the
Paschal feasts, the origin and center of the Christian liturgy. (CCC 2042)

The precept of the Church specifies the law of the Lord more
precisely: "On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful
are bound to participate in the Mass." "The precept of participating in
the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated
anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of
the preceding day.”

The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all
Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to
participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a
serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed
by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation
commit a grave sin. (CCC. 2180 and 2181)
This stems from a long line of traditions that were kept from our Jewish ancestors who included the reading of Sacred Scriptures.

As a faith community we share in formation to know, love and server the Lord. In part by attending mass. It's not about getting something out of it. It's about consciously giving the first fruits of each week to God and recognizing his divinity.

That being said... are there pew warmers. Those who go and as soon as they leave forget they are Christian. Yes. Do sinners go to mass? Indeed!!! Who needs to be their more than a sinner.

Can we judge? No. Only The Divine Heart knows our efforts to keep His commands.

Will ya BURN if you don't go. I DON'T KNOW. But as our Lord said in the desert... Luke 4: 12. Do not put your Lord Our God to the test.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I didn't see that the pastor actually said that not attending church equaled out to not being saved. He seemed to be encouraging being in a church family, and the reasons for that, which I agree with. Again I may have missed it, but I didn't see where he said it

However, I think this is bunk
Don’t let the devil or anyone else try to convince you to divert and devote your time, talents and treasures anyplace else other than the church. That’s not only an infernal mistake, it’s an eternal one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I didn't see that the pastor actually said that not attending church equaled out to not being saved. He seemed to be encouraging being in a church family, and the reasons for that, which I agree with. Again I may have missed it, but I didn't see where he said it

Don’t let the devil or anyone else try to convince you to divert and devote your time, talents and treasures anyplace else other than the church. That’s not only an infernal mistake, it’s an eternal one.
View Quote

Re read the last paragraph. He said if you are not a active member of a church you are not going to Heaven.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Re read the last paragraph. He said if you are not a active member of a church you are not going to Heaven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if he's preached that, I'd confront him about the teaching or just go somewhere else. It's not the Gospel.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted: John 6:64 is in reference to Judas, who produced works so well that the other disciples didn't suspect it was him that would betray Christ (Matthew 26:21-22).

View Quote

The case of Judas is certainly interesting from the perspective of sola fide and once saved, always saved.

Judas clearly had faith.  When the synoptics mention Jesus sending out the apostles two by two, they worked miracles, which required faith.  The gospels don't say "all the disciples except Judas worked miracles", so Judas clearly had faith enough to work miracles.  Sola fide, check.  Once saved, always saved...

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The case of Judas is certainly interesting from the perspective of sola fide and once saved, always saved.

Judas clearly had faith.  When the synoptics mention Jesus sending out the apostles two by two, they worked miracles, which required faith.  The gospels don't say "all the disciples except Judas worked miracles", so Judas clearly had faith enough to work miracles.  Sola fide, check.  Once saved, always saved...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: John 6:64 is in reference to Judas, who produced works so well that the other disciples didn't suspect it was him that would betray Christ (Matthew 26:21-22).

Faith was not a precursor to miracles.  Didn't the magicians in Egypt also work miracles?  When people say "we worked miracles in your name and Jesus replied, " I never knew you" not " that was when you had faith" He said Never.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

John 6:64 says different.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And you already made a case for works being a part of faith, which the Bible contradicts.

Works can help faith grow, but faith without works is still faith, see James 2:26.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faith without works is dead....  

Jesus paid the debt for our sin, and nothing we do merits God's grace.  However, if we don't have good works that is an indication of a lack of faith.  In other words, we don't really believe what we say we believe.  

If you want a specific example of a LACK of works, I would say continuing to live a sinful lifestyle.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Jesus paid the debt for our sin, and nothing we do merits God's grace.  However, if we don't have good works that is an indication of a lack of faith.  In other words, we don't really believe what we say we believe.  

If you want a specific example of a LACK of works, I would say continuing to live a sinful lifestyle.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

.Define "real change"; be specific please.    

Two huge problems for you: Romans 4:2-8 (especially verse 5) and Romans 11:6.

Third, you're adding your own meaning to the word "dead" here. It means lifeless in this context,  not false or nonexistent.  Your meaning creates a inherent contradiction to Romans 4 above.

Fourth, context defines the terms in the Bible, not the other way around. Words like "justified" and "saved" are not always in the context of justification before God, or salvation from eternal condemnation. Sometimes they mean justification before men, or salvation from temporal threats, as they do in James.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Third, you're adding your own meaning to the word "dead" here. It means lifeless in this context,  not false or nonexistent.  Your meaning creates a inherent contradiction to Romans 4 above.

Fourth, context defines the terms in the Bible, not the other way around. Words like "justified" and "saved" are not always in the context of justification before God, or salvation from eternal condemnation. Sometimes they mean justification before men, or salvation from temporal threats, as they do in James.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.Define "real change"; be specific please.    

I don't see any issue with either one of those passages...  Nothing I said in any way indicates that our "works" contribute to our justification.  I agree 100% that we do not contribute to our justification, it is paid for 100% by Christ's work on our behalf.  And I wasn't assigning my own meaning to "dead".  Lifeless works just fine.  

Works do not create faith, but they ARE a product of faith.  How do you explain James 2?  

Even outside the context of salvation, if someone says they believe something and then they live their lives in a way that completely contradicts that belief, wouldn't you say they don't really believe what they say?  

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't see any issue with either one of those passages...  Nothing I said in any way indicates that our "works" contribute to our justification.  I agree 100% that we do not contribute to our justification, it is paid for 100% by Christ's work on our behalf.  And I wasn't assigning my own meaning to "dead".  Lifeless works just fine.  

Works do not create faith, but they ARE a product of faith.  How do you explain James 2?  

Even outside the context of salvation, if someone says they believe something and then they live their lives in a way that completely contradicts that belief, wouldn't you say they don't really believe what they say?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

James isn't about works as a necessary (required) result of faith, which people use to claim that "no works = false faith", which inherently contradicts Romans 4:2-8 and the others I cited. James 2 wouldn't need to be written if works always followed faith, and logically, "faith without works is dead" is nonsense unless there is a such thing as "faith without works".

James is about being a servant of the Lord, and being an example; it has absolutely nothing to do with salvation. This gets into it more.

The issue is 'fruit inspection', and the fact that people actually think they can judge someone else's salvation by standards that don't have to be met to be saved in the first place. It tends to betray that fruit inspector as someone who actually does believe that works are a necessity to be saved, which ironically, makes one wonder who they are trusting for salvation.

The problem is that Christians can sin, (1 John 1:8, Romans 7:19) and we can live carnally (1 Cor. 3:1-3, Judges 16:1). The other issue is that you don't have to be a Christian to show love, joy, longsuffering, charity, honesty, etc. Judas is a good example, he didn't believe (John 6:64) but the apostles didn't suspect he would betray Christ (Matt 26:22). You can't even claim that a change indicates this, since even converts to Islam may change their habits. 2 Corinthians 11:13-14 even says that false prophets can act like apostles of Christ. Matthew 7:15-23 tells about false teachers who prophecy and drive out demons, yet are not saved (because they placed their faith in their works).

So how can anyone claim that they can possibly know whether or not someone is saved? They can't. We can tell if what someone is doing is Godly or carnal, but we can't pretend to know the heart, and Paul cautioned against putting Christ on your level by doing so in Romans 10:6-7.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
James isn't about works as a necessary (required) result of faith, which people use to claim that "no works = false faith", which inherently contradicts Romans 4:2-8 and the others I cited. James 2 wouldn't need to be written if works always followed faith, and logically, "faith without works is dead" is nonsense unless there is a such thing as "faith without works".

James is about being a servant of the Lord, and being an example; it has absolutely nothing to do with salvation. This gets into it more.

The issue is 'fruit inspection', and the fact that people actually think they can judge someone else's salvation by standards that don't have to be met to be saved in the first place. It tends to betray that fruit inspector as someone who actually does believe that works are a necessity to be saved, which ironically, makes one wonder who they are trusting for salvation.

The problem is that Christians can sin, (1 John 1:8, Romans 7:19) and we can live carnally (1 Cor. 3:1-3, Judges 16:1). The other issue is that you don't have to be a Christian to show love, joy, longsuffering, charity, honesty, etc. Judas is a good example, he didn't believe (John 6:64) but the apostles didn't suspect he would betray Christ (Matt 26:22). You can't even claim that a change indicates this, since even converts to Islam may change their habits. 2 Corinthians 11:13-14 even says that false prophets can act like apostles of Christ. Matthew 7:15-23 tells about false teachers who prophecy and drive out demons, yet are not saved (because they placed their faith in their works).

So how can anyone claim that they can possibly know whether or not someone is saved? They can't. We can tell if what someone is doing is Godly or carnal, but we can't pretend to know the heart, and Paul cautioned against putting Christ on your level by doing so in Romans 10:6-7.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don't see how Romans 4 contradicts what I said?  Yes, you are justified by God through faith.  You do not "earn" justification through good works.  But that in no way implies that good works are not one of the results of your justification (or more specifically regeneration/ sanctification).

It seems like you are taking the process out of the context of time.  There is a chronological sequence to salvation.  God graciously justifies us through the Sacrifice of His Son, we are given a new heart (regeneration) and then God continues to work in our lives (sanctification).  The good works come after the first two, during the third.  And those good works do not (and cannot) retroactively "earn" or "contribute" to the gracious forgiveness that already happened.  However,  a lack of good works can indicate that a person was never justified/regenerated to begin with.  Look at Matthew 7.  Jesus specifically tells us to judge "profits" by their fruit.  And then in verse 21
"Not every one that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

What about Matthew 6?
"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."?

Are you saying that it doesn't matter how a person lives?  Are you saying that a person can live as a reprobate for their entire life, but as long as they "have faith" they don't have any reason to be concerned about the state of their soul?

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don't see how Romans 4 contradicts what I said?  Yes, you are justified by God through faith.  You do not "earn" justification through good works.  But that in no way implies that good works are not one of the results of your justification (or more specifically regeneration/ sanctification).
It seems like you are taking the process out of the context of time.  There is a chronological sequence to salvation.  God graciously justifies us through the Sacrifice of His Son, we are given a new heart (regeneration) and then God continues to work in our lives (sanctification).  The good works come after the first two, during the third.  And those good works do not (and cannot) retroactively "earn" or "contribute" to the gracious forgiveness that already happened.  However,  a lack of good works can indicate that a person was never justified/regenerated to begin with.  Look at Matthew 7.  Jesus specifically tells us to judge "profits" by their fruit.  And then in verse 21

"Not every one that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father who is in heaven."
What about Matthew 6?

"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."?
Are you saying that it doesn't matter how a person lives?  Are you saying that a person can live as a reprobate for their entire life, but as long as they "have faith" they don't have any reason to be concerned about the state of their soul?
Works play no role in salvation, before or after. If it did, then Paul could not say what he did in Romans 4:5: that one is justified before God by faith in the absence of works.

Salvation is not a "process", and those who teach that are contradicting what Christ said in John 3:14-18, and He even used Numbers 21:6-9 as an analogy of how simple it really is. In Numbers, all the children of Israel had to do when bitten was to look at the pole and they were saved from death. That's it. There was no process, they didn't have to stare at it the rest of their lives or they would die. One look and it was God who saved them.

And if someone trusts Christ and then lives like the Devil, and they die and wake up in heaven, it's by grace, isn't it? Remember that we all sin, (1 John 1:8, Romans 3:20-23) and whoever tries to be justified by the law (i.e. their own righteousness), yet stumbles at one point, is guilty of it all (James 2:10). And whoever lusts at a woman is guilty of adultery, and whoever hates his brother, murder (Matthew 5). So good luck trying to present yourself to God as more righteous on your own good deeds than the guy who lived like the Devil (who appears as an angel of light, btw).

Matthew 7 is taken grossly out of context by false teachers who ignore the details because they must twist that section and it's logical implications. As I posted in another thread:

Read the passage in context, which many (to include preachers) do not do:

15 "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits.

21 "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; 29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

So this passage is a warning about avoiding false prophets and teachers, and building your foundation on Christ. It is also a warning to those false teachers in v.21-23.

Now as to the warning, pay attention to what is going on. What is the will of the Father? The clearest answer on this is in John 6:40:

"For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

So the will of the Father is that you believe in Christ. Those in v.22 where trying to persuade Christ on the basis of their rather impressive works of prophecy and demon-casting (which, if true, would actually be the work of God through them, and not their work). Jesus doesn't deny their works, He denies them on the basis of "I never KNEW you".

"Those who practice lawlessness" isn't a reference to OT Law, it's a reference to the default state of man, as no one is justified (which means "declared innocent before a judge") before God by the Law (Romans 3:28, Galatians 2:16), and no one is justified by their works (Romans 4:2-8). We are only justified by grace through faith, that justification is not of ourselves, and not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9). So these false teachers believed and presumably (by the context) taught another gospel, which is not another (Galatians 1), which centered around their works and not Christ's work.

It's actually teaching the opposite of what many are saying in the pulpit.

And remember we have very famous and popular preachers teaching that you must make Jesus your Lord (Jesus is Lord, we don't make Him Lord), and do a list of works to have genuine faith (turn from sin, live a life of holiness, follow the law, etc). This is who this passage is talking about.

As for Matthew 6, read Romans 4-5 again. Born-again believers aren't going to heaven because of our righteousness, we are going to heaven because of Christ's righteousness that He imputes to us.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
The only requirement to go to heaven is to be "Born Again"

John 3:3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#42]
People confusing justification and sanctification again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top