Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2016 7:27:49 AM EDT
...and who was (is) this smart aleck kid?

Atheist Prof Meets Believing Kid

bless his "study" of tangible things: speed of light, mass, energy.....

some thoughts for believers:

--Question: Did God "reward" this little one later in life by giving him unparalleled powers of inquiry, mathematics, theories, and knowledge just because this child "stood up" for Him just as King Solomon was blessed?

"...so God said to him, “Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, 12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. 13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 14 And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.” 1 Kings 3 (11-14)
View Quote

...just askin'...
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Well....  I guess that he showed that Teacher!

These days, most Teachers would recognize where the kid was going with his argument, interrupt the kid, and send him to the Principals office, where he would be suspended in short order.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Outstanding BNA. I wonder if it's the reason another supposedly great scientist, Steven Hawkins, is crippled the way he is since he's an atheist.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote

Actually it's the perfect place to put it. In G.D. it would bring out the basement morons that think owning a black rifle makes them a big shot and tough guy and that God isn't important. Should you troll there instead of here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Great video!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]
No real proof this ever happened. With that said it doesn't prove anything. The idea of God isn't a Christian only concept. If you believe this it's just as much a proof for Islam as it is what ever flavor of belief you follow.

For example the quote:

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. -Einstein
View Quote

Spinoza asserted that for a concept of god to make any sense at all, it must simply be nature. That is, god cannot be something outside nature that controls it, but must necessarily be part of it. According to Spinoza, God IS nature. While Spinoza was excommunicated from his Jewish community in Amsterdam and condemned by Christians as well for being an atheist, he was very devoutly religious. He saw the traditional anthropomorphic (man-like) god as an abomination, completely rejecting the wonder of nature, from which life comes. To Spinoza, nature is the true expression of God. And each of us is part of it. Unfortunately, his highly technical, mathematical style of writing limited widespread appreciation of his work.
View Quote

I have a feeling this isn't the idea of God for most Arfcommers. If God did reward him it what does it say about your current ideals?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No real proof this ever happened. With that said it doesn't prove anything. The idea of God isn't a Christian only concept. If you believe this it's just as much a proof for Islam as it is what ever flavor of belief you follow.

For example the quote:

I have a feeling this isn't the idea of God for most Arfcommers. If God did reward him it what does it say about your current ideals?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For example the quote:

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. -Einstein

Spinoza asserted that for a concept of god to make any sense at all, it must simply be nature. That is, god cannot be something outside nature that controls it, but must necessarily be part of it. According to Spinoza, God IS nature. While Spinoza was excommunicated from his Jewish community in Amsterdam and condemned by Christians as well for being an atheist, he was very devoutly religious. He saw the traditional anthropomorphic (man-like) god as an abomination, completely rejecting the wonder of nature, from which life comes. To Spinoza, nature is the true expression of God. And each of us is part of it. Unfortunately, his highly technical, mathematical style of writing limited widespread appreciation of his work.

Lets see if I can do this.When question about God and religion on behalf of an aged Talmudic scholar, Einstein replied:

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropomorphic concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. My views are near to those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order and harmony which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem — the most important of all human problems.

Whether the video is real or not fairly illustrates Einsteins belief in God. I believe Einsteins and Spinoza's beliefs are similar to anyone that believes God created the universe and all things in it. Most people choose a denomination that best represents their beliefs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lets see if I can do this.When question about God and religion on behalf of an aged Talmudic scholar, Einstein replied:

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropomorphic concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. My views are near to those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order and harmony which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem — the most important of all human problems.

Whether the video is real or not fairly illustrates Einsteins belief in God. I believe Einsteins and Spinoza's beliefs are similar to anyone that believes God created the universe and all things in it. Most people choose a denomination that best represents their beliefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For example the quote:

I disagree. Believing in Spinoza's God would contradict the OP and many here. I don't recall seeing anyone here post about having faith in a god that is done with creation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I disagree. Believing in Spinoza's God would contradict the OP and many here. I don't recall seeing anyone here post about having faith in a god that is done with creation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For example the quote:

Then I misunderstood Spinoza. He seemed to believe, and maybe I interpret it wrong, that God is eternal and infinite and with an ontological view of nature. To me if it is infinite then it is never ending and if it's eternal then it's everlasting. Such as God, Jesus Christ, and all that God created. Evolution has not stopped, even though it's misdirected as such.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
God tends to distingush himself from creation in the bible.  He does not define himself as part of it, and in many cases is decribed as taking actions that would violate natural law, which would only make sense if he operates at a level beyond those laws.  The universe as god is an old religion, but not easily connected to the God of the bible without largely ignoring important aspects of God described in the bible.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

--Question: Did God "reward" this little one later in life by giving him unparalleled powers of inquiry, mathematics, theories, and knowledge just because this child "stood up" for Him just as King Solomon was blessed?

"...so God said to him, "Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, 12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. 13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 14 And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.” 1 Kings 3 (11-14)
View Quote

...just askin'...
View Quote
I think eventually science will prove the existence of God.

Along the lines of this young mans argument... evil is the absence of God.  Take this further, all evil stems from us desiring to BE GOD.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Along the lines of this young mans argument... evil is the absence of God.  Take this further, all evil stems from us desiring to BE GOD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"...so God said to him, "Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, 12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. 13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 14 And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.” 1 Kings 3 (11-14)

...just askin'...

Great post. Thanks Angelfire.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#14]
IN!
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Isn't that just as much proof of the gods Boga and His five brother-gods? Why just one god, or any particular god(s)?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
This is not GD ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top