Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2016 6:40:44 PM EDT
How does one go about doing this. I have looked into a few local Churches but found many of them to be feel good hugboxes like the Church I left in my youth. There are huge Theological differences between these places and I don't feel even slightly educated enough to try and figure out which one is 'correct'.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you try the local churches that have a following such as Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, etc. See what you like best and go several times to each before you commit to one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why don't you try the local churches that have a following such as Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, etc. See what you like best and go several times to each before you commit to one.
View Quote

I have been to a few. Liking the service doesn't make them correct though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then go to a Catholic Mass and become involved with the church.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And enroll in RCIA to learn what the RCC teaches
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done it twice. Both times were like the Oprah book club. Myself and multiple women who were marrying into the faith. Nothing I learned at those classes would make me want to think about it again. Maybe the class was awful but they portrayed the Church in a terrible light. I'm not exactly sold on the RCC be the one and all if you will.

Been to:

Assembly of God (Grew up in this)
Southern Baptist churches from fairly casual to ones that toss you out if you tap your hand on your knee repeatedly
LDS
Catholic and even an SSPX one (Very neat but no one besides me and the Priest were under 70 I'd imagine)
Greek Orthodox (Very foreign. Honestly I felt unwelcome)
Methodist
Episcopalian

There is no Oriental Orthodox Church near me so I haven't had a chance with that unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Done it twice. Both times were like the Oprah book club. Myself and multiple women who were marrying into the faith. Nothing I learned at those classes would make me want to think about it again. Maybe the class was awful but they portrayed the Church in a terrible light. I'm not exactly sold on the RCC be the one and all if you will.
No offense op but your sounding kind of picky. Maybe you should worry about what you can do for the church instead of what the church can do for you. Settle into the Catholic church awhile and see what becomes of it.

Been to:

Southern Baptist churches from fairly casual to ones that toss you out if you tap your hand on your knee repeatedly
LDS
Catholic and even an SSPX one (Very neat but no one besides me and the Priest were under 70 I'd imagine)
Methodist
Episcopalian

There is no Oriental Orthodox Church near me so I haven't had a chance with that unfortunately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense op but your sounding kind of picky. Maybe you should worry about what you can do for the church instead of what the church can do for you. Settle into the Catholic church awhile and see what becomes of it.

Been to:

LDS
Methodist
Episcopalian

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Op why don't you try and see what you can do for the church instead of what the church can do for you. Go to Mass a number of times and then try RCIA

Been to:

LDS
Methodist
Episcopalian

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op why don't you try and see what you can do for the church instead of what the church can do for you. Go to Mass a number of times and then try RCIA

Been to:

LDS
Methodist
Episcopalian

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Been to:

LDS
Methodist
Episcopalian

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been to:

LDS
Methodist
Episcopalian

I don't know where you live in AR.  But, I attended Immanual Baptist in Little Rock and it was pretty good.  Also.  Try a PCA church.  I didn't see them listed on your been there list.  Honestly I'd stay away from episcopal and Methodist.  They are very liberal.  VERY.  I grew up there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I grew up southern Baptist. I am now a member of a pca Presbyterian church.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Been to:

LDS

Methodist

Episcopalian

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been to:

LDS

Methodist

Episcopalian

Where in AR are you if I may ask?
A few of these in AR. Free Gracers don't care what wear or what you've done. You may be a mix of hymns or contemporary between churches since it's not a denomination, but a point of view from the Bible.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Op why don't you try and see what you can do for the church instead of what the church can do for you. Go to Mass a number of times and then try RCIA.
View Quote

I've done that many times. During RCIA we went with our sponsor. Got nothing from it. I took it very seriously at the time because I felt that it was nearing my last options in regards to Christianity. I am fully willing to give my all if I feel it is true. Unfortunately I have been burned in that regard and was part of something I no longer believe to be true even though I'd consider it one of the best times in my life.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't know where you live in AR.  But, I attended Immanual Baptist in Little Rock and it was pretty good.  Also.  Try a PCA church.  I didn't see them listed on your been there list.  Honestly I'd stay away from episcopal and Methodist.  They are very liberal.  VERY.  I grew up there.
View Quote

I hear you on the Episcopal and Methodist churches. I went to an Episcopal church in LR and it had a female Priest. Very strange.

PCA is an option. We have one church affiliated with them locally. I have been speaking with the Pastor via email and he has recommended some books to read. Reformed Theology is definitely interesting. Often watch James White as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I hear you on the Episcopal and Methodist churches. I went to an Episcopal church in LR and it had a female Priest. Very strange.
PCA is an option. We have one church affiliated with them locally. I have been speaking with the Pastor via email and he has recommended some books to read. Reformed Theology is definitely interesting. Often watch James White as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately many are caught up in a Gospel of works.

ETA: on the reformed side that is.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checked and there is one of those churches you mentioned in my town. I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot of churches have faith statements on their website or in print at the church.  I'd suggest checking them out.

If nothing else call up the pastor and ask them about their beliefs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've done that many times. During RCIA we went with our sponsor. Got nothing from it. I took it very seriously at the time because I felt that it was nearing my last options in regards to Christianity. I am fully willing to give my all if I feel it is true. Unfortunately I have been burned in that regard and was part of something I no longer believe to be true even though I'd consider it one of the best times in my life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op why don't you try and see what you can do for the church instead of what the church can do for you. Go to Mass a number of times and then try RCIA.

It's sad to hear that you attended RCIA twice but seemingly weren't ever presented with something with substance. Sad, but I'm not surprised. I found the claims of Catholicism intriguing but whenever I attended mass, I left underwhelmed with the feeling that these people don't believe what they believe. It wasn't until I attended a Diocesan Latin Mass and witnessed the faithful, young, and vibrant community there that it really began to click.  

I eventually went to a Latin mass parish (again Diocesan, I stay away from SSPX) to be brought in to the church, because the RCIA I was in elsewhere was very dumbed down and lacked substance.

If you're near Little Rock, you might want to check out this parish (see link below). The priest who said Latin Mass at that diocesan parish I popped in to one day has moved there and is now the pastor.  

http://arkansaslatinmass.org/

It would also be worth it to get to know the pastors of the Churches you are visiting, and schedule some time to talk to them one on one if they are amenable. I wish I had done this when I was lost and wandering, but I was too shy and felt like I didn't belong anywhere.

Also, if you want to chat with someone who has "been there" and ended up Catholic, shoot me a PM.  May God bless you and direct your paths in your search.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Checked and there is one of those churches you mentioned in my town. I'll have to check it out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me know how it is.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's sad to hear that you attended RCIA twice but seemingly weren't ever presented with something with substance. Sad, but I'm not surprised. I found the claims of Catholicism intriguing but whenever I attended mass, I left underwhelmed with the feeling that these people don't believe what they believe. It wasn't until I attended a Diocesan Latin Mass and witnessed the faithful, young, and vibrant community there that it really began to click.  

I eventually went to a Latin mass parish (again Diocesan, I stay away from SSPX) to be brought in to the church, because the RCIA I was in elsewhere was very dumbed down and lacked substance.
View Quote

That is disappointing.  The two RCC parishes that seem to be the most "fruitful" around here are one each Ordinary and Extraordinary Rite.  I attend the Ordinary Rite parish - 4 current seminarians from our smallish (~900 families) parish and it's conservative, reverent, and vibrant.  The parish has grown by 25% in the last 3 years.  Many active ministries including a men's group doing That Man is You at 0630 on Saturday mornings with about 50-60 members and rolling weekly attendance of 40-45 (high military percentage so lots of underway/deployed/TAC).

The Extraordinary rite parish started as an annex to the largest parish in the area and has exploded over the past 3 years.  Confessions before every mass, three priests in residence, and a booming, young congregation.

I'm a guy who almost left the RCC in his 20s because of concerns about biblicality of the RCC, but found my way back through the grace of God and the great work of Scott Hahn and Catholic Answers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That is disappointing.  The two RCC parishes that seem to be the most "fruitful" around here are one each Ordinary and Extraordinary Rite.  I attend the Ordinary Rite parish - 4 current seminarians from our smallish (~900 families) parish and it's conservative, reverent, and vibrant.  The parish has grown by 25% in the last 3 years.  Many active ministries including a men's group doing That Man is You at 0630 on Saturday mornings with about 50-60 members and rolling weekly attendance of 40-45 (high military percentage so lots of underway/deployed/TAC).

The Extraordinary rite parish started as an annex to the largest parish in the area and has exploded over the past 3 years.  Confessions before every mass, three priests in residence, and a booming, young congregation.

I'm a guy who almost left the RCC in his 20s because of concerns about biblicality of the RCC, but found my way back through the grace of God and the great work of Scott Hahn and Catholic Answers.

View Quote
I see this too. The vibrancy of any Catholic parish can probably be directly linked with how often and how many attend confession.

Catholic Answers, and Hahn in particular, are outstanding resources. I also have way too may podcasts and CDs from Lighthouse Catholic Media.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How does one go about doing this. I have looked into a few local Churches but found many of them to be feel good hugboxes like the Church I left in my youth. There are huge Theological differences between these places and I don't feel even slightly educated enough to try and figure out which one is 'correct'.
View Quote

You've identified both the common problem to postmodern Christianity and the personal solution. You must 'educate' yourself. No one is going to do it for you unless you are willing to sit down in a random Church and believe everything they have to say.

I've run into this problem as well. My solution has been to read up on everything and try multiple churches. It's taken a long time and the church I go to is by no means perfect--the preacher is a little dry and the congregations' average age is late 60s-early 70s. But the result is that I'm hearing 95% truth and 5% fluff and I'm becoming more educated along the way.

It's not easy. It can be a lonely road to travel. But I imagine all Christians in all time periods have suffered from heretics and 'feel good hugboxes.' You have to take the personal journey and hope to find others like you. Or you settle and find a Church that makes you 'feel good.'
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#22]
While I love a lot about the CC but I have taken a vacation from it and dont know if I will return.
I have started over and have found Hebraic roots movement to have grounded me in my faith and removed all of my doubts that the organized churches engendered in me.
They can be fun if there is a group around you.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

While I love a lot about the CC but I have taken a vacation from it and dont know if I will return.

I have started over and have found Hebraic roots movement to have grounded me in my faith and removed all of my doubts that the organized churches engendered in me.

View Quote
The issue with many of those groups is the tendency to emphasize adherence to Jewish Law. Essentially committing the same error as the Galatians (though the CC does this also, though they do substitute much of their own laws).

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The issue with many of those groups is the tendency to emphasize adherence to Jewish Law. Essentially committing the same error as the Galatians (though the CC does this also, though they do substitute much of their own laws).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any that refer to it as the law have a lot to learn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#25]
You can always try praying about it. Go back to the source and all.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen!
It would be better translated as loving instruction from our Father in Heaven, for our benefit.
Following these instructions isn't legalism, it's called obedience, that leads to blessings.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, where exactly are you? (PM me) I can't blame you for feeling the Greek church was very foreign. I'm Orthodox. You need to try an Antiochian or OCA (Orthodox Church in America) parish. All English, pretty Americanized.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, where exactly are you? (PM me) I can't blame you for feeling the Greek church was very foreign. I'm Orthodox. You need to try an Antiochian or OCA (Orthodox Church in America) parish. All English, pretty Americanized.
View Quote

The Orthodox church in general feels like another universe when a Westerner is introduced to it for the first time.

I felt that way too the first time I visited one.  I have tons of respect for it but I would probably have a hard time acclimating to it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Amen!
It would be better translated as loving instruction from our Father in Heaven, for our benefit.
Following these instructions isn't legalism, it's called obedience, that leads to blessings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen!

Well put!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Orthodox church in general feels like another universe when a Westerner is introduced to it for the first time.

I felt that way too the first time I visited one.  I have tons of respect for it but I would probably have a hard time acclimating to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it depends on which Christian body you came from. I grew up Catholic with 5 years as an Episcopalian. Very liturgical. I had very little trouble with the switch. Evangelical Christians, on the other hand, can have an extremely difficult time.

I looked up the parish I believe the OP visited. It's actually Antiochian, not Greek, and I actually know people who attend that parish.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
He said "correct."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said "correct."  

Exactly, that's why I suggested it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess it depends on which Christian body you came from. I grew up Catholic with 5 years as an Episcopalian. Very liturgical. I had very little trouble with the switch. Evangelical Christians, on the other hand, can have an extremely difficult time.

I looked up the parish I believe the OP visited. It's actually Antiochian, not Greek, and I actually know people who attend that parish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I popped into this one a time or two.  Assumption Church
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need to visit St. Michael's, the Antiochian parish in Louisville. I've been there. Gorgeous iconography in the church and the chanters are excellent (there are two things that get my goat about churches - ugly modern architecture and awful music).
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Been awhile since I went to the Orthodox service. I can't remember exactly which one it was. Lots of incense and standing. Any good books you can recommend on Orthodoxy. I can't say I have 'felt' anything there so I will have to hit the books I suppose.

The whole situation is extremely stressful. I don't get how people just happily go along with whatever they were born in and never question it. I hate being lied to. Even in this thread it's going to come down to some or all of us being wrong. Why so difficult.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Find a church where the Bible is taught, and lived out.

It's that simple...  And that difficult.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Been awhile since I went to the Orthodox service. I can't remember exactly which one it was. Lots of incense and standing. Any good books you can recommend on Orthodoxy. I can't say I have 'felt' anything there so I will have to hit the books I suppose.

The whole situation is extremely stressful. I don't get how people just happily go along with whatever they were born in and never question it. I hate being lied to. Even in this thread it's going to come down to some or all of us being wrong. Why so difficult.
View Quote

Sorry I just saw this now. It's Orthodox Holy Week this week, Good Friday today, Sunday is Pascha (Easter). Lots of services.

The "standard" intro to Orthodox in English is "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware (now Bishop Kallistos Ware), an Anglican who converted in the late 50s/early 60s.

Amazon

The Orthodox Way by the same author.

Orthodox and Heterodoxy is help in that in compares/contrasts Orthodoxy with other belief traditions (not just Christian ones).

This one is said to be good by the head catechist in my parish (I'm a trained catechist, but I only help some), although I've not read it yet.

There are Kindle versions of all these books if you prefer.

The OCA has a good online version of an intro series "The Orthodox Faith" written by Fr. Thomas Hopko, also available in book form. Link

How "bookish" are you? I can recommend other books, but I'm not sure how much of a reader you are.

Ancient Faith Radio has a ton of podcasts. I like the podcast of sermons done by Fr. Thomas Soroka in the Pittsburgh area who is a friend of mine. Fr. Thomas Hopko (now deceased) also had a good one called "Speaking the Truth in Love." Link

Sister Vassa Larin, an American-born Russian Orthodox nun, has an ongoing series of YouTube catechetical videos called "Coffee with Sr. Vassa." They're about 10 minutes long and cover a wide variety of topics. They follow the Church Year, somewhat. Link. She has an AFR podcast, too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amen!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You need to visit St. Michael's, the Antiochian parish in Louisville. I've been there. Gorgeous iconography in the church and the chanters are excellent (there are two things that get my goat about churches - ugly modern architecture and awful music).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost visited there but it was a bit more of a drive from where I was living at the time.

I'm no longer in KY, so I doubt I'll have another chance to visit them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Amen!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen!

+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

BINGO!!! Although I am a little shocked that you are the only one that suggested this so far.

OP, if you are honestly seeking God, prayer should be the first step.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 | ESV

One thing I will say is that it doesn't have to be the one choice for the rest of your life. Many churches have something to offer, but moving to another church as you start to learn more is not horrible. This was my journey -

• I grew up Catholic and walked away from it as an adult because I never heard anything of any substance there.

• After a few years as a prodigal son and now actually wanting to seek God (after like kicked me quite hard in the butt), I ended up at an Anglican Church. It was a good first step because it had a familiar "feel" to it with my Catholic background. But this is where I first started learning about putting my "faith in Christ alone".

• Starting visiting a non-denominational mega church where people's life's where getting changed, including mine (long story).  Some amazing stuff was happening there. I learned that being a Christian had nothing to do with robes or chants and ended up leaving the Angilcian church to become a member there. Also met my wife there.

• After getting married and moving I ended up at a small non-denom bible church. Pretty close to the same beliefs as the mega church, they just have a bigger focus developing people past the baby Christian stage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top