Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually posts a Chick tract!!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Servants don't refer to themselves as "Pontifex Maximus".

Then there's the whole issue of having people slobber on his toe:

http://i1.wp.com/upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/PopeKissing_Feet.JPG?resize=338%2C350

http://www.soundwords.net/images/wronghere.jpg

I'll be the first to say that most Chick tract material is totally nuts and probably causes more harm than good.

However in this example, it does pose a good question, and one of the things I'm uncomfortable with in the RCC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'll be the first to say that most Chick tract material is totally nuts and probably causes more harm than good.

However in this example, it does pose a good question, and one of the things I'm uncomfortable with in the RCC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1.wp.com/upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/PopeKissing_Feet.JPG?resize=338%2C350

Most? Probably? Really? What 'good' comes from rabid defamation of other Christians?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Twire, quit playing games. Is OD-Man right or wrong in what he said? I think even you realize he threw a doctrinal bomb when he made that statement.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
OD -Man: Does the Lutheran view of the Eucharist hold sway (consubstantiality)? Or are the Baptists right (symbolic)?  This is no small doctrinal difference, the first followers of Christ left him when He said you must "Eat My Flesh and Drink My Blood"

ar15eric: The whole idea of transubstantiation didn't even come around until the 11-12 century.

So what? Regardless, two bible believing Protestant sects interpret the same scripture differently on a key topic. So who's right? And by what authority? Please answer the questions.

BTW, I know you're all focused on Catholicism as the big bad boy, but I didn't even mention "transubstantiation" which is the Catholic belief. It was formally defined in the 12th century  but it was believed by the earliest Christians (aka Catholics). Even the pagan Romans mocked the Christians because "they claim to eat their God."

Again, please address the questions I ask, not the one you want to answer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most? Probably? Really? What 'good' comes from rabid defamation of other Christians?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said what I said because there's every chance that someone may have been led to faith through one of the tracts (though likely not one of this nature) so I'm not quick to call them totally worthless. It's avoiding the issue though; the problem remains a problem to me regardless if "Chick" has made a tract about it or not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It isn't a matter of lying by "omission."

It's a matter of focus.

The whole fixation and nitpicking on salvation is very much a product of the Protestant movement. Nothing pre-dating it shows an attempt to distill the whole message of Christ into such a concept. Salvation was accepted as a given, the focus was then on other theological nuances, trying to understand what Christ wanted people to do, etc.

To have it like some here would, every one of Christ's sermons would simply like like the last panel of a Chick Tract. But He had so much more to say, and do, before he ultimately established the Eucharist with His perfect sacrifice... and then He still said and did more, having resurrected himself and all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What a mess, how is it anyone is saved?

Yet Jesus said, "Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life." John 6:47

So what the church is saying is that Jesus never gave the whole truth on how to be saved to any individual he encountered; essentially lying by omission.

http://www.raptureforums.com/RomanCatholicism/catholicsalvationplan.jpg

It's a matter of focus.

The whole fixation and nitpicking on salvation is very much a product of the Protestant movement. Nothing pre-dating it shows an attempt to distill the whole message of Christ into such a concept. Salvation was accepted as a given, the focus was then on other theological nuances, trying to understand what Christ wanted people to do, etc.

To have it like some here would, every one of Christ's sermons would simply like like the last panel of a Chick Tract. But He had so much more to say, and do, before he ultimately established the Eucharist with His perfect sacrifice... and then He still said and did more, having resurrected himself and all.
Chick Tract's last panel actually gets it wrong; it actually over complicates it with the instruction to "turn from sin" before belief. Romans 7:19 and 1 John 1:8 logically imply this is not required nor possible, respectively.

It seems your problem is that salvation is too easy if it's just by "belief", yet that's what Christ told Nicodemus in John 3 several times. It's also what he told Martha in John 11.

Remember, "you must have the faith of little children" (Matthew 18:3), not of theologians, or priests.

It is a given when the church preaches the Word. It's when people started adding to it that it became a jumbled mess.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Jesus does. We just don't exclude his other statements but view them as a whole work. Baptism, forgiveness of sins, it's all in there. Does Jesus sit down and lay everything out at once to a single person? Dunno, but it wasn't recorded in the Bible that way. But we were given the entire book. We were given the whole thing (including the Epistle of James) to utilize.

To us it seems that Protestants just like to focus on the easy stuff, where all you have to do is sit around and say, "Welp, I believe in Jesus so I'm good. Lord, Lord!" It's very passive. We don't consider it passive, but active. As in full belief requires more than just that, to mean active and full participation. After all, even Satan and his demons believe in Christ. We say belief requires more than just a passive intellectual exercise but a full life changing lived experience doing the things that Jesus said to do.

Like when you look at Matthew 25:44 "They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?  "He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me." Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”" Notice those folks are being condemned because they didn't do things. He's not saying they didn't believe in him. Jesus says there that the righteous are going to eternal life because "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Not everybody who says, "Lord, Lord!" after all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet Jesus said, "Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life." John 6:47

So what the church is saying is that Jesus never gave the whole truth on how to be saved to any individual he encountered in the Gospels; essentially lying by omission.

Jesus does. We just don't exclude his other statements but view them as a whole work. Baptism, forgiveness of sins, it's all in there. Does Jesus sit down and lay everything out at once to a single person? Dunno, but it wasn't recorded in the Bible that way. But we were given the entire book. We were given the whole thing (including the Epistle of James) to utilize.

To us it seems that Protestants just like to focus on the easy stuff, where all you have to do is sit around and say, "Welp, I believe in Jesus so I'm good. Lord, Lord!" It's very passive. We don't consider it passive, but active. As in full belief requires more than just that, to mean active and full participation. After all, even Satan and his demons believe in Christ. We say belief requires more than just a passive intellectual exercise but a full life changing lived experience doing the things that Jesus said to do.

Like when you look at Matthew 25:44 "They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?  "He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me." Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”" Notice those folks are being condemned because they didn't do things. He's not saying they didn't believe in him. Jesus says there that the righteous are going to eternal life because "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

First, Matthew 25:31-46 is in regards to nations (see v31). Second, we are justified through faith, i.e. pronounced innocent through belief in the promise of Christ.

Second your allusion to Matthew 7:21-23 actually counters your point, because there we have false teachers (see v.15) trying to persuade Christ to give them eternal life based on their deeds. However, Christ doesn't deny they did theose deeds, but bases His rejection of them on, "I never knew you". Which tells us our works, even impressive ones that these guys boasted about, means zilch.

Third, your point is contradicted by Romans 4:

"2 For IF Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, BUT NOT BEFORE GOD. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now TO HIM WHO WORKS, the wages are NOT COUNTED AS GRACE but as debt. 5 But TO HIM WHO DOES NOT WORK BUT BELIEVES ON HIM who justifies the ungodly, HIS FAITH IS ACCOUNTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness APART from works"

So either we aren't justified by works and you are misunderstanding Matthew 25, or Paul is a heretic; because this verse is pretty clear.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still accurate (in this case).

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nice post from raptureforums a site dedicated to single word in the New Testament and having an entire section of its content devoted to Catholic defamation. Your resources are incredible!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So what the church is saying is that Jesus never gave the whole truth on how to be saved to any individual he encountered in the Gospels; essentially lying by omission.

Nice post from raptureforums a site dedicated to single word in the New Testament and having an entire section of its content devoted to Catholic defamation. Your resources are incredible!  
Attacking the source and not the point is not a way to be persuasive.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask the Inquisition.

Or better yet, Pope Gregory IX.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What is your biblical support for this statement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ promised the Holy Spirit to the Church, not you.

Is this the  "doctrinal bomb"?

John 16:5–13 - Jesus’ Departure; Coming of the Advocate.
“I did not tell you this from the beginning, because I was with you. 5 But now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you asks me,* ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. 7 But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: 9 sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; 11condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned. 12 “I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. 13  But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.

Clearly Christ is speaking only to the Apostles, who would lead His Church after he departed. If the Holy Spirit was equally promised to guide everyone, we'd all be on the same page... which Protestantism alone clearly reveals not to be the case.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I misunderstood then.. I have heard this argument before and I will ask you.  How many verses has the Catholic Church Authoritativly interpreted? I may be using the wrong phrase, correct me if I am.  I have heard anywhere from 8-12.  Seriously.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.  Can you show me a list?  If we are told not to trust our interpretation, which I think is a bad term, what should we trust? The RCC? Then show me where they have a list of scripture that has been divinely interpreted.  Here is an easy one.  Shortest verse in the bible.  Jesus wept.  What does it mean?

Can you answer my questions first, instead of replying with more questions?
Again, who can Protestants point to  as the authoritative interpreter of Scripture? Does the Lutheran view of the Eucharist hold sway (consubstantiality)? Or are the Baptists right (symbolic)?  This is no small doctrinal difference, the first followers of Christ left him when He said you must "Eat My Flesh and Drink My Blood"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going to agree that SOME Protestant leaders have a heretical view on abortion and divorce.  They are wrong.  The ONLY way they can try to justify this is by saying God didn't really mean what He said.  Or that He changed his mind.  I'll also add to the list the acceptance of homosexuality as OK with the Bible and women pastors and priests and bishops.  You'll get no argument from me.

But don't say that Protestantism does this.  Because only some do, and they are in apostasy.
As to each being his own pope.  That is incorrect.  Jesus is our high priest and mediator.  No need for a pope.  If someone is a heretic and is convincing themselves they are correct then they are not following Jesus.  The same way if a Catholic has an abortion, they are not following the Pope.  Or his teachings.  If a Protestant has an abortion they are not following either the Pope or Jesus.  (And yes it is murder and the woman committing murder should be held accountable for it) had to throw that in.  Protestant churches, that are biblically based, have a system of accountability.  Elders, deacons, pastor...and in my case presbyteries.  So no one is their own pope.  There is accountability and people are disciplined, including leaders.  I'm not saying some people don't go out on their own and do things unbiblically as far as structure.  But the Bible lays out the correct structure, so I'm not seeing their reasoning.

My point has nothing to do with the failure of individual sinners to meet the teachings of their faith.  My point is that Protestantism believes in private interpretation of the bible, Catholicism does not. When you open that door, every man is his own pope, and it leads to disunity and a breakdown of the Christian faith. Again, who can Protestants point to  as the authoritative interpreter of Scripture? Does the Lutheran view of the Eucharist hold sway (consubstantiality)? Or are the Baptists right (symbolic)?  This is no small doctrinal difference, the first followers of Christ left him when He said you must "Eat My Flesh and Drink My Blood"

I misunderstood then.. I have heard this argument before and I will ask you.  How many verses has the Catholic Church Authoritativly interpreted? I may be using the wrong phrase, correct me if I am.  I have heard anywhere from 8-12.  Seriously.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.  Can you show me a list?  If we are told not to trust our interpretation, which I think is a bad term, what should we trust? The RCC? Then show me where they have a list of scripture that has been divinely interpreted.  Here is an easy one.  Shortest verse in the bible.  Jesus wept.  What does it mean?

Again, who can Protestants point to  as the authoritative interpreter of Scripture? Does the Lutheran view of the Eucharist hold sway (consubstantiality)? Or are the Baptists right (symbolic)?  This is no small doctrinal difference, the first followers of Christ left him when He said you must "Eat My Flesh and Drink My Blood"

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"I did not tell you this from the beginning, because I was with you. 5 But now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you asks me,* ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. 7 But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: 9 sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; 11condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned. 12 "I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. 13  But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.
Clearly Christ is speaking only to the Apostles, who would lead His Church after he departed. If the Holy Spirit was equally promised to guide everyone, we'd all be on the same page... which Protestantism alone clearly reveals not to be the case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

"I did not tell you this from the beginning, because I was with you. 5 But now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you asks me,* ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. 7 But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: 9 sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; 11condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned. 12 "I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. 13  But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.

Problem is, Romans 8:9:
9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
1 Corinthians 12:13:
13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
And let's not forget what Jesus laid-out to Nicodemus:
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?”
5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

9 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can these things be?”

10 Jesus answered and said to him, "Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things?

11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony.

12 If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?

13 No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man.

14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up;

15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

In other words, unless you individually have the Spirit in you (born again), then you aren't saved. There's no corporate language here.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ask the Inquisition.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask the Inquisition.    

So far you've called upon every resource and diatribe except a reference to Hitler, which if done succinctly might win the entire internet.

I think I'll ask the English Reformation or the Scottish Reformation the Philadelphia Bible riots or Henry the Eighth or Queen Elizabeth, or I suppose Jack Chick would know, etc...

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Chick Tract's last panel actually gets it wrong; it actually over complicates it with the instruction to "turn from sin" before belief. Romans 7:19 and 1 John 1:8 logically imply this is not required nor possible, respectively.

It seems your problem is that salvation is too easy if it's just by "belief", yet that's what Christ told Nicodemus in John 3 several times. It's also what he told Martha in John 11.

Remember, "you must have the faith of little children" (Matthew 18:3), not of theologians, or priests.

It is a given when the church preaches the Word. It's when people started adding to it that it became a jumbled mess.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what the church is saying is that Jesus never gave the whole truth on how to be saved to any individual he encountered; essentially lying by omission.

It's a matter of focus.

My "problem" is there is far more to being a Christian than "being saved." Acknowledging that is just the beginning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So when a fundamentalist uses his own interpretation of a quote attributed to Jesus in the gospel, it trumps all other scriptural references which might be used in support of Catholic doctrine, but when the words from the epistles are needed to disprove or modify an entirely consistent with Catholic thought quote from Jesus, then that's OK. I just want to get the rules straight since there is an emerging, flagrant double standard at work.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So far you've called upon every resource and diatribe except a reference to Hitler, which if done succinctly might win the entire internet.

I think I'll ask the English Reformation or the Scottish Reformation the Philadelphia Bible riots or Henry the Eighth or Queen Elizabeth, or I suppose Jack Chick would know, etc...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask the Inquisition.    

And that somehow removes you from the responsibility of your own hypocrisy here?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My "problem" is there is far more to being a Christian than "being saved." Acknowledging that is just the beginning.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a matter of focus.

Yet that's the subject of our discussion. No one has a problem with discipleship. It's when people confuse salvation with discipleship and teach that they are the same thing.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So when a fundamentalist uses his own interpretation of a quote attributed to Jesus in the gospel, it trumps all other scriptural references which might be used in support of Catholic doctrine, but when the words from the epistles are needed to disprove or modify an entirely consistent with Catholic thought quote from Jesus, then that's OK. I just want to get the rules straight since there is an emerging, flagrant double standard at work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's an inherent contradiction. The claim that the Holy Spirit does not indwell in individual believers is contradicted by these verses. Who's word do you trust? I think the smart bet is on the Bible.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Acts 17:10-11,13 KJV
[10] And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
[11] These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
[13] But when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also, and stirred up the people.

The Bereans were verifying even what Paul was teaching. Were they doing this without the Holy Spirit?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

First, Matthew 25:31-46 is in regards to nations (see v31). Second, we are justified through faith, i.e. pronounced innocent through belief in the promise of Christ.

Second your allusion to Matthew 7:21-23 actually counters your point, because there we have false teachers (see v.15) trying to persuade Christ to give them eternal life based on their deeds. However, Christ doesn't deny they did theose deeds, but bases His rejection of them on, "I never knew you". Which tells us our works, even impressive ones that these guys boasted about, means zilch.

"2 For IF Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, BUT NOT BEFORE GOD. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now TO HIM WHO WORKS, the wages are NOT COUNTED AS GRACE but as debt. 5 But TO HIM WHO DOES NOT WORK BUT BELIEVES ON HIM who justifies the ungodly, HIS FAITH IS ACCOUNTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness APART from works"

So either we aren't justified by works and you are misunderstanding Matthew 25, or Paul is a heretic; because this verse is pretty clear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's check Matt 32 (not 31)
All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

This is like an anti-gunner claiming the first clause (militia) means "the people" in the second clause means the government. Clearly "all nations" (meaning everybody) are gathered before Christ and then he separates people. So, no, it doesn't just mean "nations". If your reading there, that "all the nations" is what that section refers to, then in Matt 28:19 I guess only nations can be disciples.

Again, your point is contradicted by James 2 (a big piece, but let's quote the main one from the KJV)
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only..

So's the heretic here? Paul? James?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In other words, unless you individually have the Spirit in you (born again), then you aren't saved. There's no corporate language here.    

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#24]
There are countless people who have testified about their salvation experience, including what they perceive to be the Holy Spirit coming upon them, and the RC church was no where in sight when this happened to them.

The implication of OD-Man's statement is that these people had a false conversion experience.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
10 Jesus answered and said to him, "Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things?
11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony.
12 If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?
13 No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man.
14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up;
16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Two different issues here....Catholics don't deny the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (actually the Trinity) which is acknowledged as sanctifying grace in the individual.  So no big issue there (baptism covers your "born again" requirement and is an integral part of the Great Commission, but let's table that for the moment.

But the promise of the Spirit to the Church to preserve it from error - such that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" is limited to the Church (Matt 16:18), not given to every individual - as the lack of unity of belief between different Protestant sects  so clearly illustrates. Diversity of doctrine is the gates of hell prevailing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

This is like an anti-gunner claiming the first clause (militia) means "the people" in the second clause means the government. Clearly "all nations" (meaning everybody) are gathered before Christ and then he separates people. So, no, it doesn't just mean "nations". If your reading there, that "all the nations" is what that section refers to, then in Matt 28:19 I guess only nations can be disciples.

Again, your point is contradicted by James 2 (a big piece, but let's quote the main one from the KJV)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only..

Again, those who are saved are so not because of anything they have done, but what Christ has done, they are the sheep (John 10, Romans 3:22, 4:13, 10:4, 2 Corinthians 5:21,

Now as far as James 2 goes, look at verses 1-13, the context is how "brethren" treat people, verses 14-26 are the why. Notice in his epistle, James uses "brethren" 17 times, which is a lot for how short it is. What gets people into trouble, is that they assume the terms define the context, rather than the context defining the terms. You see words like "dead" and "justified", then assume the context is one regarding salvation, as it is in Romans 4. Yet if it is, you have an inherent contradiction.

Paul uses the same word for "dead" in Romans 4:19, in regards to Sarah's womb. Did Paul mean her womb was literally necrotic? No. Did he mean it was nonexistent? No. What Paul means is that her womb was useless. The analogy in v.26 is a perfect one, in the Greek, he says, "Exactly like a body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead". Did he mean that faith without works was nonexistent? No. Because a body without a spirit is still a body. What he means is that faith without action is useless. But that doesn't contradict Romans 4:5-6 if you consider that the usefulness of faith isn't what saves; otherwise you have other contradictions with Ephesians 2:8-9 and 2 Timothy 2:13.

Now "justified" comes from a Greek legal term meaning, "declared righteous before a judge". Which judge? In Romans 4, Paul is talking about being declared righteous before God. James is, considering the context of verses 1-13, being declared righteous before men.

Hence, James is about Christians witnessing for Christ through service, and their actions. It has nothing to do with eternal life. The "brethren" he's talking to already have eternal life according to Christ's own words.

If you want to delve deeper into this point, read this: https://expreacherman.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/cucuzza-faith-without-works-is-dead.pdf

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Two different issues here....Catholics don't deny the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (actually the Trinity) which is acknowledged as sanctifying grace in the individual.  So no big issue there (baptism covers your "born again" requirement and is an integral part of the Great Commission, but let's table that for the moment.

But the promise of the Spirit to the Church to preserve it from error - such that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" is limited to the Church (Matt 16:18), not given to every individual - as the lack of unity of belief between different Protestant sects  so clearly illustrates. Diversity of doctrine is the gates of hell prevailing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which baptism? Only one saves, see Luke 3:16.

Yes the gates of hell will not prevail over the church, but that doesn't mean that Rome has sole ownership of it. Notice in Matthew that linguistically, Christ is referring to Himself as the Rock (further evidenced by Ephesians 2:20).

And you guys keep bringing up unity, when the RCC isn't as unified as you want to believe, as if that grants authority to abrogate the Bible. It's a non-sequitur; just because you claim unity doesn't mean you are doctrinally correct. Heck, any denomination then can claim unity and therefore make the same claim about Matthew 16:18 (and some have).  

ETA: if you read Galatians where Paul details his disagreements with Peter, you'll find that even the Apostles differed at times.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going to agree that SOME Protestant leaders have a heretical view on abortion and divorce.  They are wrong.  The ONLY way they can try to justify this is by saying God didn't really mean what He said.  Or that He changed his mind.  I'll also add to the list the acceptance of homosexuality as OK with the Bible and women pastors and priests and bishops.  You'll get no argument from me.

But don't say that Protestantism does this.  Because only some do, and they are in apostasy.
As to each being his own pope.  That is incorrect.  Jesus is our high priest and mediator.  No need for a pope.  If someone is a heretic and is convincing themselves they are correct then they are not following Jesus.  The same way if a Catholic has an abortion, they are not following the Pope.  Or his teachings.  If a Protestant has an abortion they are not following either the Pope or Jesus.  (And yes it is murder and the woman committing murder should be held accountable for it) had to throw that in.  Protestant churches, that are biblically based, have a system of accountability.  Elders, deacons, pastor...and in my case presbyteries.  So no one is their own pope.  There is accountability and people are disciplined, including leaders.  I'm not saying some people don't go out on their own and do things unbiblically as far as structure.  But the Bible lays out the correct structure, so I'm not seeing their reasoning.

My point has nothing to do with the failure of individual sinners to meet the teachings of their faith.  My point is that Protestantism believes in private interpretation of the bible, Catholicism does not. When you open that door, every man is his own pope, and it leads to disunity and a breakdown of the Christian faith. Again, who can Protestants point to  as the authoritative interpreter of Scripture? Does the Lutheran view of the Eucharist hold sway (consubstantiality)? Or are the Baptists right (symbolic)?  This is no small doctrinal difference, the first followers of Christ left him when He said you must "Eat My Flesh and Drink My Blood"

Sure.  I thought you were asking rhetorically.

The following are cut and pasted from the Westminster Large Catechism, which I believe states it better than I could, and I will use as a reference.

. 168. What is the Lord’s supper?
A. The Lord’s supper is a sacrament of the New Testament,1077 wherein, by giving and receiving bread and wine according to the appointment of Jesus Christ, his death is showed forth; and they that worthily communicate feed upon his body and blood, to their spiritual nourishment and growth in grace;1078 have their union and communion with him confirmed;1079 testify and renew their thankfulness,1080 and engagement to God,1081 and their mutual love and fellowship each with the other, as members of the same mystical body.1082

Q. 170. How do they that worthily communicate in the Lord’s supper feed upon the body and blood of Christ therein?
A. As the body and blood of Christ are not corporally or carnally present in, with, or under the bread and wine in the Lord’s supper,1084 and yet are spiritually present to the faith of the receiver, no less truly and really than the elements themselves are to their outward senses;1085 so they that worthily communicate in the sacrament of the Lord’s supper, do therein feed upon the body and blood of Christ, not after a corporal and carnal, but in a spiritual manner; yet truly and really,1086 while by faith they receive and apply unto themselves Christ crucified, and all the benefits of his death.1087

There is more, but I figure if someone wants to read it they will google.  That's what I believe.  While a sacrament,and very important, it doesn't serve as a requirement for salvation, and I'm pretty sure, though may be wrong, that the RCC doesn't think I'm going to hell for believing this.  So, being a nonessential, Lutherans are free to believe on this topic, what they may.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

And that somehow removes you from the responsibility of your own hypocrisy here?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask the Inquisition.    

What hypocrisy?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It's an inherent contradiction. The claim that the Holy Spirit does not indwell in individual believers is contradicted by these verses. Who's word do you trust? I think the smart bet is on the Bible.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe that's what the man said, but you keep addressing questions to me about someone else posted. Not that I mind answering, but I think the man who posted that has done a fine job answering for himself thus far.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yes the gates of hell will not prevail over the church, but that doesn't mean that Rome has sole ownership of it. Notice in Matthew that linguistically, Christ is referring to Himself as the Rock (further evidenced by Ephesians 2:20).

And you guys keep bringing up unity, when the RCC isn't as unified as you want to believe, as if that grants authority to abrogate the Bible. It's a non-sequitur; just because you claim unity doesn't mean you are doctrinally correct. Heck, any denomination then can claim unity and therefore make the same claim about Matthew 16:18 (and some have).  

ETA: if you read Galatians where Paul details his disagreements with Peter, you'll find that even the Apostles differed at times.  
View Quote
abrogate

[ab-ruh-geyt]

1. to abolish by formal or official means; annul by an authoritative act; repeal:

to abrogate a law.

2.to put aside; put an end to.

How about an example of 'abrogating' since you elected to use a fancy word that doesn't really even apply here.

Whether you care to acknowledge history or not does not change it. For the first 10 centuries of Christianity, if you called yourself Christian, then you were Catholic. For the next 5 centuries, if you called yourself Christian, you were either Catholic or Orthodox. From Luther onward its been a free for all. Rome has the claim because, if for no other reason (and they are many), it was the only Church in existence from the time Pentecost onward. And, please, drop the 'Peter was not the rock,' canard. I can dig up multiple scholars, protestant scholars that will state that indeed he was (Hint: they spoke aramaic, the original language of Matthew).

Yes, unity. If the Church is the Body of Christ, how many bodies does he have? One or 30,000? Or will you have counter-prooftext for that too?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yet that's the subject of our discussion. No one has a problem with discipleship. It's when people confuse salvation with discipleship and teach that they are the same thing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a matter of focus.

So, you can have discipleship without salvation? Can I have salvation without discipleship?

Can I just be a good guy teaching all of Christ's teachings while publicly saying, "I don't believe Jesus is God or anything, I just like his overall message" and get to heaven?

Can I believe in my heart of hearts that Jesus is God and rose from the dead, etc., while, instead of feeding them, shooting every homeless person I meet and get to heaven?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What hypocrisy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask the Inquisition.    

What hypocrisy?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The following are cut and pasted from the Westminster Large Catechism, which I believe states it better than I could, and I will use as a reference.

A. The Lord’s supper is a sacrament of the New Testament,1077 wherein, by giving and receiving bread and wine according to the appointment of Jesus Christ, his death is showed forth; and they that worthily communicate feed upon his body and blood, to their spiritual nourishment and growth in grace;1078 have their union and communion with him confirmed;1079 testify and renew their thankfulness,1080 and engagement to God,1081 and their mutual love and fellowship each with the other, as members of the same mystical body.1082

Q. 170. How do they that worthily communicate in the Lord’s supper feed upon the body and blood of Christ therein?
A. As the body and blood of Christ are not corporally or carnally present in, with, or under the bread and wine in the Lord’s supper,1084 and yet are spiritually present to the faith of the receiver, no less truly and really than the elements themselves are to their outward senses;1085 so they that worthily communicate in the sacrament of the Lord’s supper, do therein feed upon the body and blood of Christ, not after a corporal and carnal, but in a spiritual manner; yet truly and really,1086 while by faith they receive and apply unto themselves Christ crucified, and all the benefits of his death.1087

There is more, but I figure if someone wants to read it they will google.  That's what I believe.  While a sacrament,and very important, it doesn't serve as a requirement for salvation, and I'm pretty sure, though may be wrong, that the RCC doesn't think I'm going to hell for believing this.  So, being a nonessential, Lutherans are free to believe on this topic, what they may.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you! Here is my point: if Sola Scriptura (scripture alone) is a valid concept, and all Protestants led by the Spirit, then you should be on the same page as the Lutherans (or they should be on your page). The Holy Spirit can't be inconsistent and lead one denomination one way, and lead another in the polar opposite direction. I am not arguing the merits of one position or the other at this point, just  that there should be no divergence of views if the most basic tenet of Protestantism is valid (sola scriptura).

To say that  it is a non-essential (by what authority can you claim that?) is a cop out . Re-read John 6.  Christ is clear that  it  is essential for eternal  life. He said it was literally His Body and Blood and some of His followers left him because "they found this teaching too hard."

Catholicism has unity of teaching and doctrine - what holds for one, holds for all - it is clear and knowable in the CCC. If some members hold contrary views that doesn't change this fact, they don't "get a vote" so to speak.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

abrogate                  

[ab-ruh-geyt]                                                      

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

abrogate                  

[ab-ruh-geyt]                                                      

1. to abolish by formal or official means; annul by an authoritative act; repeal:
to abrogate a law.

How about an example of 'abrogating' since you elected to use a fancy word that doesn't really even apply here.

Whether you care to acknowledge history or not does not change it. For the first 10 centuries of Christianity, if you called yourself Christian, then you were Catholic. For the next 5 centuries, if you called yourself Christian, you were either Catholic or Orthodox. From Luther onward its been a free for all. Rome has the claim because, if for no other reason (and they are many), it was the only Church in existence from the time Pentecost onward. And, please, drop the 'Peter was not the rock,' canard. I can dig up multiple scholars, protestant scholars that will state that indeed he was (Hint: they spoke aramaic, the original language of Matthew).

Yes, unity. If the Church is the Body of Christ, how many bodies does he have? One or 30,000? Or will you have counter-prooftext for that too?

Do you mean catholic or Catholic? We know "catholic" is Latin for "universal" so trying to say that the first Christians were Roman Catholics is like the Mormons saying they're the true 'church of Jesus Christ' because the name on the building says so. Simply calling yourself something doesn't make you that thing.

The fact is that there were many doctrines introduced by Rome over the course of the last 1600 years. The church in Rome is a far cry from the early Christian church established in the Book of Acts.

That's the rub here, it doesn't matter how authoritative people try to make their church out to be, if it disagrees with the Bible (or flat-out ignores it) then it really can't claim to be the One True Church, can it? The same goes for any church.

The RCC has introduced several doctrines that lay aside (i.e. abrogate) the words of the Bible it claims to have constructed (a tentative claim at best). And that's what the purpose of this thread is, is it not?

So please let's lay aside the smug sense of superiority, because unless you can prove that it is superior in keeping with the written word of God (the Bible) then it's all smoke and mirrors.

So again, we can agree that at least 66 books of the Bible are divinely inspired, correct? That should be enough to prove what you claim.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So, you can have discipleship without salvation? Can I have salvation without discipleship?

Can I just be a good guy teaching all of Christ's teachings while publicly saying, "I don't believe Jesus is God or anything, I just like his overall message" and get to heaven?

Can I believe in my heart of hearts that Jesus is God and rose from the dead, etc., while, instead of feeding them, shooting every homeless person I meet and get to heaven?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you did, it would be by grace alone, wouldn't it?

That's the problem. It's only "by grace through faith, and that not of yourselves",  which means there is nothing I can or can't do, to earn or lose it, otherwise it would be of ourselves.

Take a look at Samson, he slept with prostitutes and heathen as he judged Israel for 20 years. Yet Hebrews 11 says he was saved by faith. Look at Solomon; was he saved? He worshiped demon "gods" who demanded child sacrifice.

Did Peter fall out of grace when he denied Christ three times? What about John the Baptist? You'd be hard-pressed to find a person in the Bible who didn't screw up royally, and lost salvation and had to get re-saved.

Now murder is wrong, and those that do have to give an account, and God does chastise those He loves (Proverbs 15:10, Hebrews 12:5-11, Jeremiah 2:19). But you still have to reconcile how you can say that someone has to do something to be saved when Christ Himself says it's free (Revelation 22:17).

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#37]
So why does Paul give a whole laundry list of sins that will prevent you from entering into heaven? After all, he was writing to Christian communities.....so they all should have been "saved" regardless by your account
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Before we get to far, I would like to say my goal here is not Catholic bashing, but to educate on the gospel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

So why does Paul give a whole laundry list of sins that will prevent you from entering into heaven? After all, he was writing to Christian communities.....so they all should have been "saved" regardless by your account
View Quote
If you mean 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, keep reading..."as were some of you".

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

No need for this to get locked. It's not meant to be a flame fest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Callout thread, IBTL.

No need for this to get locked. It's not meant to be a flame fest.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

to abrogate a law.

Do you mean catholic or Catholic? We know "catholic" is Latin for "universal" so trying to say that the first Christians were Roman Catholics is like the Mormons saying they're the true 'church of Jesus Christ' because the name on the building says so. Simply calling yourself something doesn't make you that thing.

The fact is that there were many doctrines introduced by Rome over the course of the last 1600 years. The church in Rome is a far cry from the early Christian church established in the Book of Acts.

That's the rub here, it doesn't matter how authoritative people try to make their church out to be, if it disagrees with the Bible (or flat-out ignores it) then it really can't claim to be the One True Church, can it? The same goes for any church.

The RCC has introduced several doctrines that lay aside (i.e. abrogate) the words of the Bible it claims to have constructed (a tentative claim at best). And that's what the purpose of this thread is, is it not?

So please let's lay aside the smug sense of superiority, because unless you can prove that it is superior in keeping with the written word of God (the Bible) then it's all smoke and mirrors.

So again, we can agree that at least 66 books of the Bible are divinely inspired, correct? That should be enough to prove what you claim.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

abrogate                  

[ab-ruh-geyt]                                                      

to abrogate a law.

Which came first...the Church or the Bible?  

Those were Catholic Councils that determined which books were inspired and which ones weren't. This isn't a "tentative claim" - you are entitled to your own opinions,but not your own facts.

When certain books didn't jibe with the  novel opinions of men 11 centuries later, they tossed those books out of the bible. Luther even called the Epistle of James an "epistle of straw" b/c it didn't support his view of justification.

Ignatius of Antioch first used the term catholic church around 100 AD. And where did one find this Church? "Where you find the bishop, there you will find the catholic church." Protestantism only works if you ignore the first 15 centuries of Christianity. Again, here is a book by an honest Protestant: Oxford Dictionary of Popes
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Those were Catholic Councils that determined which books were inspired and which ones weren't. This isn't a "tentative claim" - you are entitled to your own opinions,but not your own facts.
When certain books didn't jibe with the  novel opinions of men 11 centuries later, they tossed those books out of the bible. Luther even called the Epistle of James an "epistle of straw" b/c it didn't support his view of justification.
Ignatius of Antioch first used the term catholic church around 100 AD. And where did one find this Church? "Where you find the bishop, there you will find the catholic church." Protestantism only works if you ignore the first 15 centuries of Christianity. Again, here is a book by an honest Protestant: Oxford Dictionary of Popes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

abrogate                  

[ab-ruh-geyt]                                                      

1. to abolish by formal or official means; annul by an authoritative act; repeal: to abrogate a law.

The problem with your history here is that the "Catholic Councils" didn't meet until the 16th century at Trent to formally determine Rome's canon. Plus, the books of the New Testament were widely agreed upon long before there was any formal council...the books of the bible were already recognized as being inspired of the Holy Spirit, and were not established by a church. The underground church had been copying and memorizing the gospels and epistles to distribute them long before the Roman Empire decided to stop trying to kill the church from the outside. They were too busy trying to survive the persecutions to have formal councils.

Keep in mind the RCC had nothing to do with the Old Testament....and the New Testament is largely commentaries on the OT from the Apostles, all of whom were Jewish.  

(that also brings up some serious issues with the RCC claim of salvation through the church, when people like Abraham were saved -by faith- long before there was a church in Rome)
So again, "catholic" means "universal" and is not a reference to the Roman Catholic Church.
J.N.D. Kelly is an Anglican, who are pretty much RCC-lite these days. The fact that Leo I is the first one to assume the title "pope", and Constantine was the first to claim central rule over the Christian church. The RCC can write itself into it's own history all it wants, but like you said, they aren't entitled to their own facts.
BTW you should look up the textual criticism of the Apocryphal books before repeating the RCC stance on them.
But let's face it, this a distraction from the real issue modern Protestants have with the RCC: the fact that it doesn't reflect what is in their Bible.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

to abrogate a law.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

abrogate                  

[ab-ruh-geyt]                                                      

to abrogate a law.

And here we have left the Gospel you were so intent to teach.  

Catholics wrote the bible. You wouldn't have one at all if not for that.

Catholics are the first Christians. We are BOTH Catholic and Christian. We are baptized in water and the Spirit and in the name of Christ our Savior.

There is no sense of superiority or smugness about it. It's simply fact. It is with great humility that these traditions and the sacred words of God are the catholic legacy.  You are a beneficiary of  this on so many ways.

The prodigal son was not necessarily the one who ran off and squandered his inheritance. That is the crux of this is it not for you? Who is right...

The prodigal son was the one who never left his fathers side but still was blind to the message. Both received their inheritance but only one returned seeing the truth.
The sacred bible is full of men who could quote the laws and the scriptures forward and backwards but when it came to seeing Christ among them... they only could see the threat to the power they wielded in this world. They didn't like the answers.

Twire Spade Od man others have repeatedly provided truthful answers with great patience. In the end all you did was the same thing the Pharisees did. Are we Christian?
I am not a scholar like twire et al.  But I believe with my whole heart, my whole mind, my entire being.   I hope you find what you look for.
Thanks to all who have provided this man with so much enlightenment.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
I stopped reading there. For one, the Bible was written by Jews, both Old and New Testaments.

Second, even if it were true that the bible came from Rome (which it didn't), it doesn't prove that Rome 1600 years later is consistent with the bible and has not departed from it, which is a tough thing for you to prove that it hasn't, when Rome does all it can to remove the authority of known inspired writing in order to replace it with whatever the lastest guy on the golden throne claims is the latest truth, and hopefully he won't tee-off to many people to cause another schism like Vatican II did.

Really, claiming that the early church was the same as the modern Roman Catholic Church, is like claiming Bruce Jenner was always a woman.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I stopped reading there. For one, the Bible was written by Jews, both Old and New Testaments.

Second, even if it were true that the bible came from Rome (which it didn't), it doesn't prove that Rome 1600 years later is consistent with the bible and has not departed from it, which is a tough thing for you to prove that it hasn't, when Rome does all it can to remove the authority of known inspired writing in order to replace it with whatever the lastest guy on the golden throne claims is the latest truth, and hopefully he won't tee-off to many people to cause another schism like Vatican II did.

Really, claiming that the early church was the same as the modern Roman Catholic Church, is like claiming Bruce Jenner was always a woman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beyond insulting
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm pretty sure God wrote the bible, and the men (catholic yes) did not chose what was cannon, they recognized it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#47]
BTW here's a response by someone more read than I about how the Council of Trent in the 16th century not only approved a different cannon than the Council of Hippo in 390, but it also removed a book that was in the Greek Septuagint:

http://www.christiantruth.com/articles/sippocanon.html

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Beyond insulting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beyond insulting
Sorry; I don't know any other way to put it. Is the church in the book of Acts anything like the church of Rome today? No. The best modern day equivalent are the churches inside Islamic and communist countries who exist underground.

ETA: Although I admire those in those underground churches, the universal church doesn't have to look like that.

However, it's the RCC practices that inherently contradict the Bible that causes issue:

Clerical dress (Matt. 23:5-6).

The adoration of Mary (Luke 11:27-28).

All Christians are priests (1 Pet. 2:5,9; Hebrews 7)  

Observance of special days (Gal. 4:9-11)

All Christians are saints (1 Cor. 1:2)

Making and adoration of images (Ex. 20:4-5)

Addressing religious leaders as "father" (Matt. 23:9)

Christ is the only foundation and not the apostle Peter (1 Cor. 3:11)

There is one mediator instead of many (1 Tim. 2:5)

A bishop must be a married man (1 Tim. 3:2, 4-5)

The primacy of Peter (Luke 22:24-27)

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:Which came first...the Church or the Bible?  Those were Catholic Councils that determined which books were inspired and which ones weren't. This isn't a "tentative claim" - you are entitled to your own opinions,but not your own facts.

The problem with your history here is that the "Catholic Councils" didn't meet until the 16th century at Trent to formally determine Rome's canon. Plus, the books of the New Testament were widely agreed upon long before there was any formal council...the books of the bible were already recognized as being inspired of the Holy Spirit, and were not established by a church. The underground church had been copying and memorizing the gospels and epistles to distribute them long before the Roman Empire decided to stop trying to kill the church from the outside. They were too busy trying to survive the persecutions to have formal councils.

Oh, the Church in the Wilderness. Quite unbiblical concept.

Keep in mind the RCC had nothing to do with the Old Testament....and the New Testament is largely commentaries on the OT from the Apostles, all of whom were Jewish.  And all of whom included the Deuterocanon.

(that also brings up some serious issues with the RCC claim of salvation through the church, when people like Abraham were saved -by faith- long before there was a church in Rome)

So again, "catholic" means "universal" and is not a reference to the Roman Catholic Church. So the pre-Nicene writings that defer to the 'Chair of Peter' are then NOT referencing Catholic leadership.

J.N.D. Kelly is an Anglican, who are pretty much RCC-lite these days. Anglican. Yeah, no vested interest in smearing Catholicism or diminishing the abandonment of it. The fact that Leo I is the first one to assume the title "pope", and Constantine was the first to claim central rule over the Christian church. The RCC can write itself into it's own history all it wants, but like you said, they aren't entitled to their own facts.

BTW you should look up the textual criticism of the Apocryphal books before repeating the RCC stance on them.

But let's face it, this a distraction from the real issue modern Protestants have with the RCC: the fact that it doesn't reflect what is in their Bible. I would say that it is entirely consistent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:Which came first...the Church or the Bible?  Those were Catholic Councils that determined which books were inspired and which ones weren't. This isn't a "tentative claim" - you are entitled to your own opinions,but not your own facts.

Oh, the Church in the Wilderness. Quite unbiblical concept.

Keep in mind the RCC had nothing to do with the Old Testament....and the New Testament is largely commentaries on the OT from the Apostles, all of whom were Jewish.  And all of whom included the Deuterocanon.

So again, "catholic" means "universal" and is not a reference to the Roman Catholic Church. So the pre-Nicene writings that defer to the 'Chair of Peter' are then NOT referencing Catholic leadership.

J.N.D. Kelly is an Anglican, who are pretty much RCC-lite these days. Anglican. Yeah, no vested interest in smearing Catholicism or diminishing the abandonment of it. The fact that Leo I is the first one to assume the title "pope", and Constantine was the first to claim central rule over the Christian church. The RCC can write itself into it's own history all it wants, but like you said, they aren't entitled to their own facts.

But let's face it, this a distraction from the real issue modern Protestants have with the RCC: the fact that it doesn't reflect what is in their Bible. I would say that it is entirely consistent.

Thanks Francis Schaefer. Or is it Loraine Boettner used as your source. Maybe you are just towing the fundamentalist line, but much of what you say is a grossly mistaken or altered version of history

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Second, even if it were true that the bible came from Rome (which it didn't), it doesn't prove that Rome 1600 years later is consistent with the bible and has not departed from it non biblical - that would mean that the gates of hell had prevailed, which is a tough thing for you to prove that it hasn't, when Rome does all it can to remove the authority of known inspired writing you are delusional in order to replace it with whatever the lastest guy on the golden throne claims is the latest truth, and hopefully he won't tee-off to many people to cause another schism like Vatican II did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Second, even if it were true that the bible came from Rome (which it didn't), it doesn't prove that Rome 1600 years later is consistent with the bible and has not departed from it non biblical - that would mean that the gates of hell had prevailed, which is a tough thing for you to prove that it hasn't, when Rome does all it can to remove the authority of known inspired writing you are delusional in order to replace it with whatever the lastest guy on the golden throne claims is the latest truth, and hopefully he won't tee-off to many people to cause another schism like Vatican II did.

Yes, Justin Martyr was a liar. Augustine of Hippo was liar, and all the rest. When they speak of all that Catholic belief, practice, worship, they weren't really Catholic.

Your ignorance is as appalling as your willingness to display it.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top