BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is there an official RCC view on scripture, as far as is it literal or not?  And I know that's not the best way to ask.  Was Jonah really swallowed by a big fish?  We're Adam and eve real people?
View Quote
The literal interpretation is different from the literalist interpretation. Catholics read scripture as literal. But not only words, but the intent of the author and context define that literal interpretation.

Personal interpretation is not forbidden or limited, but if it clashes with Church teaching, that personal interpretation would need a really strong re-examination.

Catholicism is also very consistent in typological interpretation.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sorry, I couldn't negotiate this quote system on this site.  

"The Apostles were the first Catholics. They established our priesthood in ACTS. This is why we've been around for 2000 plus years. No fundamentalist sects were ever mentioned in the bible.
And while the first follower of Christ were Jewish they moved the celebration of mass ( The Last Supper) to Sundays (The day of Christ Resurrection). Our Catholic mass follows in the traditions of the Jewish faith. The Catholics combined the sacred books and wrote the first bible. No where in history does it say it got written by M-1975 anywhere. In fact where are the fundamentalist's foot prints for writing the bible at all?"

There are no Catholics in Acts. The Sabbath was never changed to Sunday, which was traditionally set apart by sun worshipers, then incorporated by Catholics followed by Protestants (protesting Catholics). If it were changed, it would have been boldly announced. Not an interpretation of a verse about followers eating a meal (breaking bread) after the Sabbath at sunset. The Sabbath is the only day that is named in all of Scripture. All of our Father's feast days were dates of the month. None were ever days of the week. There are plenty of verses of the Disciples keeping the Sabbath, and keeping the Feast Days of our Father in Heaven well after the resurrection.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not from my perspective and from the understanding of a number of members and what they're teaching and defending.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TWIRE - Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't it also mention what your saying in Matthew, Luke, and Mark?
The Eucharistic narrative, yes. But John 6 is the one place where nothing is left to the imagination.

Thanks TWIRE. You are correct, It leaves no doubt.

Apparently it does, as this thread illustrates.

Not from my perspective and from the understanding of a number of members and what they're teaching and defending.

Send in your sarcasm meter for recalibration.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The Apostles were the first Catholics. They established our priesthood in ACTS. This is why we've been around for 2000 plus years. No fundamentalist sects were ever mentioned in the bible.
And while the first follower of Christ were Jewish they moved the celebration of mass ( The Last Supper) to Sundays (The day of Christ Resurrection). Our Catholic mass follows in the traditions of the Jewish faith. The Catholics combined the sacred books and wrote the first bible. No where in history does it say it got written by M-1975 anywhere. In fact where are the fundamentalist's foot prints for writing the bible at all?"

There are no Catholics in Acts. The Sabbath was never changed to Sunday, which was traditionally set apart by sun worshipers, then incorporated by Catholics followed by Protestants (protesting Catholics). If it were changed, it would have been boldly announced. Not an interpretation of a verse about followers eating a meal (breaking bread) after the Sabbath at sunset. The Sabbath is the only day that is named in all of Scripture. All of our Father's feast days were dates of the month. None were ever days of the week. There are plenty of verses of the Disciples keeping the Sabbath, and keeping the Feast Days of our Father in Heaven well after the resurrection.
View Quote

So you don't equate 'Day of the Lord" with Sunday?

As a general aside, since this poster brought it up in a roundabout way...

I also found it funny that God may have exhibited the essence of trolling. He 1) sent his Son to Earth so that 2) the creatures he made could kill that Son 3) so they could come back to Him. Then (here's where the trollish part comes in) he puts what I and many others believe to the Earthly headquarters of His new Church smack dab in the heart of the civilization that ruled the world at that time. The Romans did exactly what was expected..try to eliminate the threat to their power...funny how that DIDN'T work out.

Sorry for the hijack; interesting discussion, and relatively calm. Relatively.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I also found it funny that God may have exhibited the essence of trolling. He 1) sent his Son to Earth so that 2) the creatures he made could kill that Son 3) so they could come back to Him. Then (here's where the trollish part comes in) he puts what I and many others believe to the Earthly headquarters of His new Church smack dab in the heart of the civilization that ruled the world at that time. The Romans did exactly what was expected..try to eliminate the threat to their power...funny how that DIDN'T work out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. There was no sarcasm in my response 2. I don't believe that God 'trolls"
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then allow me clarify.

1. It's obvious that some in this thread are not interested in having their questions regarding Catholicism answered; they would rather shows how wrong we are.
2. God does not "troll" in the sense of GD or the internet. He does, however, do what He pleases, and if that involves taking the then-center of the human world as His own in the face of persecution He will do it and prove a point (as He did many times with the Jews in the OT).

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Then allow me clarify.

1. It's obvious that some in this thread are not interested in having their questions regarding Catholicism answered; they would rather shows how wrong we are.
2. God does not "troll" in the sense of GD or the internet. He does, however, do what He pleases, and if that involves taking the then-center of the human world as His own in the face of persecution He will do it and prove a point (as He did many times with the Jews in the OT).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then allow me clarify.

Thanks, but they weren't ruffled. It does seem to me that the Catholics have answered the questions quite well. As a Catholic I always enjoy the insight my brothers and sisters have in their answers as well as the rebuttal from other Christians.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The Apostles were the first Catholics. They established our priesthood in ACTS. This is why we've been around for 2000 plus years. No fundamentalist sects were ever mentioned in the bible.

And while the first follower of Christ were Jewish they moved the celebration of mass ( The Last Supper) to Sundays (The day of Christ Resurrection). Our Catholic mass follows in the traditions of the Jewish faith. The Catholics combined the sacred books and wrote the first bible. No where in history does it say it got written by M-1975 anywhere. In fact where are the fundamentalist's foot prints for writing the bible at all?

View Quote
There's no mention of Christian priests in Acts. The Apostles never took the title.

And how is the RCC 2000+ years old when Christ was crucified 1983 years ago? Are you saying the Pharisees where Catholic? See you do agree with my point about Matthew 23!

Of course, that's a tough claim when the language of Rome has been Latin, and yet the New Testament was written in common Greek. Nevermind that the Bible is mostly Old Testament, which is Jewish. Oh, and did I mention the New Testament mostly consists of Midrash teachings on the Old Testament? It's essentially a commentary, mostly by a Jew, "circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews". Yeah, not a Roman Catholic, lol.

Now once the Romans state got a hold of the church, well it became the third kingdom parable, which wasn't a good thing. Then it added leaven, which in Jewish Scripture, is symbolic of sin, particularly the sin of pride. Then they rewrote history and reinterpreted the Bible through philosophy, ignoring the Jewish roots.

The major texts of the Bible, such as the Textus Receptus, and Codex Sinaiticus, aren't Latin or use Latin sources, they're Greek. The Textus Receptus comes fromt eh eastern manuscripts preserved by the Orthodox, who as you should know, broke from Rome when Rome got to big for it's britches. Then Rome hid the Bible in a language the laity couldn't speak, and replaced Scripture with it's own doctrine.

Well then the humanists got a hold of the eastern manuscripts and figured out how far off Rome had gotten when they read the Greek Scriptures and discovered the Latin ones had some errors. Thus the Reformation was born.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do equate the Day of the Lord as Sunday. We celebrate the Resurrection every Sunday. Sabbath is Saturday.

The troll reference is irreverent.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

First and foremost, Sola Scriptura is not a tenet of Catholicism. Why? Because there is nothing IN scripture that affirms or supports that belief, secondly there is no other teaching to support it. The deposit of faith was oral first, then written. So your standard of random prooftexts as a sole authoritative statement are more or less meaningless. I've asked 3 times in this thread so far for a 'prooftext' that Scripture must be the sole authority, and so far all I've heard are crickets.

I've barely scratched the surface of prooftexting because it is useless in this type of discussion, please review step 5 of my previous post wherein the designated protestant negates the merits of the argument becasue his or her personal revelation conflicts the Catholic interpretation. Clearly, despite two millenia of consistent interpretation of scripture, somehow the real meaning of scripture was revealed to the nascent fundamentalist movement in the 1800s. That's why I sometimes refer to protestant fundamentalism as the new gnosticism because it requires that 'special insight' only attainable through 18 centuries of non-existence. You've confirmed this multiple times by denying the simple word of the gospel, i.e. 'context is everything,' 'go to the Greek.' If there is anyone who has posted belief based on reading 'Scripture for what is says?' It's certainly not read-the-next-paragraph-study-the-Greek-redefine-the-context-M-1975.

I don't use Strong's or Thayer's. Don't own a copy of either. But don't assume that I have no knowledge of scripture because I don't post 30 passages at a time. My posts are spontaneous and frankly limited by time constraints at work and home. I barely have time to react to the onslaught of fundamentalist attacks.

Let me ask you this. Of course only the rare Protestant here will post their denomination, but assuming that you hold to the priesthood of believers conceppt and personal interpretation of scripture, suppose that a man, as a non-believer, picks up the Bible and reads it, and come to conclusions almost identical to Catholic teaching. Is that interpretation valid?

Matthew 23. Bold accusations by you against 1.1 billion believers, the largest charitable organization in the world, and the Church handed to the Apostles with an unbroken line of teaching dating from Pentecost. The Church is holy. And full of sinners. And aware of both facts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, your entire argument has been about how to merit salvation. That's the whole disagreement here. You think that not only must you believe, but you must also obey the church, do the sacraments, not sin, persevere, confess,  etc.. These are all works according the the Bible! You are arguing against my assertion that belief alone is all God asks of us in exchange for eternal life. That's the whole discussion!    

Here's the Greek for "works".

Definition: work, task, employment; a deed, action; that which is wrought or made, a work.

See, here's the thing, you know all about your church bureaucracy and traditions, but you don't know what Scripture actually says, all while trying to claim the church is Scriptural. What you try to assert falls flat with a a simple examination onto the context as well as Google search to a Strong's concordance or Thayer's Lexicon. You can't explain any scripture that contradicts your whole argument, and that's because you don't know it, you only know what the RCC says. So how can you possibly tell someone that the RCC follows Scripture, when you can't lay aside the CCC or the RCC arguments and read Scripture for what it says?

The RCC is only scriptural in the sense that it is the Christian version of Matthew 23, almost to a T.

First and foremost, Sola Scriptura is not a tenet of Catholicism. Why? Because there is nothing IN scripture that affirms or supports that belief, secondly there is no other teaching to support it. The deposit of faith was oral first, then written. So your standard of random prooftexts as a sole authoritative statement are more or less meaningless. I've asked 3 times in this thread so far for a 'prooftext' that Scripture must be the sole authority, and so far all I've heard are crickets.

I've barely scratched the surface of prooftexting because it is useless in this type of discussion, please review step 5 of my previous post wherein the designated protestant negates the merits of the argument becasue his or her personal revelation conflicts the Catholic interpretation. Clearly, despite two millenia of consistent interpretation of scripture, somehow the real meaning of scripture was revealed to the nascent fundamentalist movement in the 1800s. That's why I sometimes refer to protestant fundamentalism as the new gnosticism because it requires that 'special insight' only attainable through 18 centuries of non-existence. You've confirmed this multiple times by denying the simple word of the gospel, i.e. 'context is everything,' 'go to the Greek.' If there is anyone who has posted belief based on reading 'Scripture for what is says?' It's certainly not read-the-next-paragraph-study-the-Greek-redefine-the-context-M-1975.

I don't use Strong's or Thayer's. Don't own a copy of either. But don't assume that I have no knowledge of scripture because I don't post 30 passages at a time. My posts are spontaneous and frankly limited by time constraints at work and home. I barely have time to react to the onslaught of fundamentalist attacks.

Let me ask you this. Of course only the rare Protestant here will post their denomination, but assuming that you hold to the priesthood of believers conceppt and personal interpretation of scripture, suppose that a man, as a non-believer, picks up the Bible and reads it, and come to conclusions almost identical to Catholic teaching. Is that interpretation valid?

Matthew 23. Bold accusations by you against 1.1 billion believers, the largest charitable organization in the world, and the Church handed to the Apostles with an unbroken line of teaching dating from Pentecost. The Church is holy. And full of sinners. And aware of both facts.

I told you, 1 Corinthians 4:6; "Do not go beyond what is written".

You aren't posting any scripture that passes tests of simple context or grammatical exegesis. Yet you do not even realize that you are saying one thing and arguing the opposite. You are saying we are not saved by faith alone, but are instead saved by works but you try to deny this while arguing against being saved by faith alone. And then you cut the scriptures that contradict you out and try to ignore them.

I've addressed your "proof-texts" and shown them to be false; why don't you cut the appeals to fallacious logic and address what I posted?

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There's no mention of Christian priests in Acts. The Apostles never took the title.

And how is the RCC 2000+ years old when Christ was crucified 1983 years ago? Are you saying the Pharisees where Catholic? See you do agree with my point about Matthew 23!

Of course, that's a tough claim when the language of Rome has been Latin, and yet the New Testament was written in common Greek. Nevermind that the Bible is mostly Old Testament, which is Jewish. Oh, and did I mention the New Testament mostly consists of Midrash teachings on the Old Testament? It's essentially a commentary, mostly by a Jew, "circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews". Yeah, not a Roman Catholic, lol.

Now once the Romans state got a hold of the church, well it became the third kingdom parable, which wasn't a good thing. Then it added leaven, which in Jewish Scripture, is symbolic of sin, particularly the sin of pride. Then they rewrote history and reinterpreted the Bible through philosophy, ignoring the Jewish roots.

The major texts of the Bible, such as the Textus Receptus, and Codex Sinaiticus, aren't Latin or use Latin sources, they're Greek. The Textus Receptus comes fromt eh eastern manuscripts preserved by the Orthodox, who as you should know, broke from Rome when Rome got to big for it's britches. Then Rome hid the Bible in a language the laity couldn't speak, and replaced Scripture with it's own doctrine.

Well then the humanists got a hold of the eastern manuscripts and figured out how far off Rome had gotten when they read the Greek Scriptures and discovered the Latin ones had some errors. Thus the Reformation was born.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Apostles were the first Catholics. They established our priesthood in ACTS. This is why we've been around for 2000 plus years. No fundamentalist sects were ever mentioned in the bible.

And while the first follower of Christ were Jewish they moved the celebration of mass ( The Last Supper) to Sundays (The day of Christ Resurrection). Our Catholic mass follows in the traditions of the Jewish faith. The Catholics combined the sacred books and wrote the first bible. No where in history does it say it got written by M-1975 anywhere. In fact where are the fundamentalist's foot prints for writing the bible at all?

The English word "priest" is derived from the Greek word presbuteros, which
is commonly rendered into Bible English as "elder" or "presbyter." The
ministry of Catholic priests is that of the presbyters mentioned in the
New Testament (Acts 15:6, 23). The Bible says little about the duties of
presbyters, but it does reveal they functioned in a priestly capacity.

They were ordained by the laying on of hands (1 Tm 4:14, 5:22), they
preached and taught the flock (1 Tm 5:17), and they administered
sacraments (Jas 5:13-15). These are the essential functions of the
priestly office, so wherever the various forms of presbuteros appear--except,
of course, in instances which pertain to the Jewish elders (Mt 21:23,
Acts 4:23)--the word may rightly be translated as "priest" instead of
"elder" or "presbyter."

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You aren't posting any scripture that passes tests of simple context or grammatical exegesis. Yet you do not even realize that you are saying one thing and arguing the opposite. You are saying we are not saved by faith alone, but are instead saved by works but you try to deny this while arguing against being saved by faith alone. And then you cut the scriptures that contradict you out and try to ignore them.

I've addressed your "proof-texts" and shown them to be false; why don't you cut the appeals to fallacious logic and address what I posted?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, your entire argument has been about how to merit salvation. That's the whole disagreement here. You think that not only must you believe, but you must also obey the church, do the sacraments, not sin, persevere, confess,  etc.. These are all works according the the Bible! You are arguing against my assertion that belief alone is all God asks of us in exchange for eternal life. That's the whole discussion!    

Here's the Greek for "works".

Definition: work, task, employment; a deed, action; that which is wrought or made, a work.

See, here's the thing, you know all about your church bureaucracy and traditions, but you don't know what Scripture actually says, all while trying to claim the church is Scriptural. What you try to assert falls flat with a a simple examination onto the context as well as Google search to a Strong's concordance or Thayer's Lexicon. You can't explain any scripture that contradicts your whole argument, and that's because you don't know it, you only know what the RCC says. So how can you possibly tell someone that the RCC follows Scripture, when you can't lay aside the CCC or the RCC arguments and read Scripture for what it says?

The RCC is only scriptural in the sense that it is the Christian version of Matthew 23, almost to a T.

Wow.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The English word "priest" is derived from the Greek word presbuteros, which is commonly rendered into Bible English as "elder" or "presbyter." The ministry of Catholic priests is that of the presbyters mentioned in the New Testament (Acts 15:6, 23). The Bible says little about the duties of presbyters, but it does reveal they functioned in a priestly capacity.
They were ordained by the laying on of hands (1 Tm 4:14, 5:22), they preached and taught the flock (1 Tm 5:17), and they administered sacraments (Jas 5:13-15). These are the essential functions of the priestly office, so wherever the various forms of presbuteros appear--except, of course, in instances which pertain to the Jewish elders (Mt 21:23, Acts 4:23)--the word may rightly be translated as "priest" instead of "elder" or "presbyter."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The English word "priest" is derived from the Greek word presbuteros, which is commonly rendered into Bible English as "elder" or "presbyter." The ministry of Catholic priests is that of the presbyters mentioned in the New Testament (Acts 15:6, 23). The Bible says little about the duties of presbyters, but it does reveal they functioned in a priestly capacity.
They were ordained by the laying on of hands (1 Tm 4:14, 5:22), they preached and taught the flock (1 Tm 5:17), and they administered sacraments (Jas 5:13-15). These are the essential functions of the priestly office, so wherever the various forms of presbuteros appear--except, of course, in instances which pertain to the Jewish elders (Mt 21:23, Acts 4:23)--the word may rightly be translated as "priest" instead of "elder" or "presbyter."

Please give proper credit when you cut-and-paste your answers.

BTW, the Greek word for "priest" is archiereus, not presbuteros, which is never translated as "priest". Your apologist link is pulling a switcheroo with the language.

The only one other than the Jewish priests, called "priest" in the new testament is Christ, which makes sense since He is the only mediator between God and man, per 1 Timothy 2:

5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, 7 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth in Christ and not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

TWIRE - Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't it also mention what your saying in Matthew, Luke, and Mark?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A protestant cannot claim the same thing. Its not about 'communion' and not about 'breaking bread.' Its about the Real Presence  

The real presence of the Lord is the Holy Spirit. And He's not something you eat.
Except that Jesus said otherwise. But you are probably right. He didn't know what he was saying. That's why he corrected his statement so quickly. Oh wait! He didn't correct it, did he? Hmm..But that's why Paul didn't seem to recognize this either. Oh wait, he did...

Matthew 18:8-9
8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Jesus also said to cut off your body parts when you sin, Do you do that? Or did He mean something else?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Wow.

View Quote
Maybe you can explain how these verses don't contradict the idea that we must do works, i.e. actions, to be saved? How do they not teach that we are saved by faith alone?

Please don't deflect like TWIRE did.

Luke 7:50: Then He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that WHOEVER BELIEVES in Him should not perish but HAVE eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever BELIEVES IN HIM should NOT perish but HAVE eternal life.17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18 "He who BELIEVES in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 6:28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said to them, "THIS IS THE WORK OF GOD, THAT YOU BELIEVE IN HIM WHOM HE SENT.”

John 6:37-40: All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and THE ONE WHO COMES TO ME I WILL BY NO MEANS CAST OUT. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose NOTHING, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son AND BELIEVES IN HIM may have everlasting life; and I WILL raise him up at the last day.” John 6: 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40, "And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that EVERYONE WHO SEES THE SON AND BELIEVES IN HIM MAY HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE; and I will raise him up at the last day.”)

John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall NEVER perish; neither shall ANYONE snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and NO ONE is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

John 11:25 "Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who BELIEVES in me WILL live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by BELIEVING IN ME WILL NEVER DIE. Do you believe this?”

Acts 15:6 Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. 7 And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: "Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, 9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by FAITH. 10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the GRACE of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through FAITH in Jesus Christ, to all and ON ALL WHO BELIEVE. For there is no difference; 23 FOR ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALL SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD, 24 being JUSTIFIED FREELY BY HIS GRACE through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the JUSTIFIER OF THE ONE WHO HAS FAITH IN JESUS. 27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but BY THE LAW OF FAITH. 28 Therefore we conclude that A MAN IS JUSTIFIED BY FAITH APART FROM THE DEEDS OF THE LAW.

Romans 4:2 For IF Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, BUT NOT BEFORE GOD. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now TO HIM WHO WORKS, the wages are NOT COUNTED AS GRACE but as debt. 5 But TO HIM WHO DOES NOT WORK BUT BELIEVES ON HIM who justifies the ungodly, HIS FAITH IS ACCOUNTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness APART from works.

Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the END of the law for righteousness to EVERYONE who BELIEVES

Titus 3:4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 NOT BY WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS WHICH WE HAVE DONE, but ACCORDING TO HIS MERCY HE SAVED US, THROUGH the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that HAVING BEEN JUSTIFIED BY HIS GRACE we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Ephesians 2:8-9: For by GRACE you HAVE been saved through faith, and that NOT OF YOURSELVES; it is the GIFT of God, 9 NOT OF WORKS, lest anyone should boast.

Hebrews 7:25: Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Galatians 3:10: For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith.” 12 YET THE LAW IS NOT OF FAITH, but "the man who does them shall live by them.” 13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit THROUGH FAITH.

1 John 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for this is the witness of God which He has testified of His Son. 10 HE WHO BELIEVES in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. 11 And this is the testimony: that God HAS given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may KNOW that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

2Peter 3:15-16
15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Pauls epistles made it around the churches of that day. Before they were even called the Bible. Peter who you claim as your first Pope not only talked about Pauls writings in his epistle but also put Pauls epistles on the same level as other Scriptures, ( Old Testament).

2Tim 3:16-17
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

The writers of the new Testament were led by the Holy Spirit, What else do you need?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
BTW here's an Anglican quoting TWIRE's "honest protestant" on how dishonest the translating was in the Latin Vulgate:

Having discovered the immense effect on Church doctrine of Jerome’s mistranslations, I searched for some discussion of Jerome and the Vulgate in popular Church histories. Almost all the books I could access completely ignored Jerome. The one that paid him any attention only mentioned his influence on monasticism. Yet it can be shown that Catholic Tradition is the fruit of eleven hundred years of dependence on the errors of Jerome’s Vulgate. The ignorance of this scenario is almost universal; one colleague was of the opinion that Catholic Tradition was the ‘the wisdom of the ages.’ I am afraid that sadly this is far from the case.

View Quote

The eclipse of Greek by Latin as the lingua franca of the West in the 4th century had made the New Testament increasingly inaccessible. Pope Damasus asked his secretary Jerome, to translate the Bible into Latin and it was published in AD 382. It has been authoritatively described as ‘perfunctory’ and ‘capricious’ with many ‘eccentricities’.(3)

J.N.D. Kelly in his biography of Jerome says, ‘…he does not hesitate to twist or suppress facts,’ and writes of his ‘theological prejudice.’(4) Jerome was a prime mover towards the worship of Mary winning a debate on her perpetual virginity not so much by logic as by insults and travesties of his opponent’s points. A consequence was that celibacy became the Christian ideal making marriage merely a remedy against sin and for the propagation of children. ‘Jerome’s treatment enormously helped to shape both the Mariology of the Latin church and the Christian sexual ethic that was to dominate western civilisation until the renaissance at least.’(5) Concerning his translation of the New Testament, Kelly comments: ‘On occasion, however, one has to admit that his choice of a reading was not governed by any scientific principle at all; it appealed to him, for example, because it was to his taste doctrinally.’ (6)

In over twenty places he translated the word ‘metanoia’ as ‘do penance’ instead of ‘repent’ but his errors in Hebrews were responsible for changing the Gospel message in the Holy Communion.

For example:

Hebrews 10: 12, ‘But when this priest (i.e. Christ) had offered (aorist) for all time one sacrifice for sins he sat down on the right hand of God,’

became in the Vulgate,

‘But this man offering (continuous present) one sacrifice for sins, for ever sitteth etc.’ (Douay-Rheims version)

Similarly in Hebrews 1:3, Jerome changed the aorist to the continuous present, so that Christ is continuously ‘making purgation of our sins.’

The Greek New Testament was soon lost to the West, so for eleven hundred years (a vast stretch of time roughly equal to the period from Alfred the Great to the present day), the only New Testament available was in the Vulgate.

Consequently, for over a millennium the Churches believed uncritically that in heaven, Christ is continuously offering for our sins. It is easy to see how, as Tait shows, this deeply influenced thinking about Holy Communion, moving people to integrate it with Christ’s alleged heavenly offering, involving the idea that the bread and wine become Christ.

There is no doubt about Jerome’s capabilities as a linguist, and so the inevitable conclusion is that he deliberately twisted Scripture to express his personal opinions.

Anglo-Catholicism perpetuates earlier errors.

The truth at last!

When Erasmus published the Greek New Testament in 1516 together with an accurate translation into Latin, his work was met with horror. He was accused of blasphemy and the Archbishop of York said that the Erasmus translation had over three thousand ‘dangerous differences’ from the Vulgate adding, ‘If we don’t stop this leak it will sink the ship.’(7)

The problem Anglican Catholics face is the one that the Council of Trent found unsolvable: how to reconcile the original Scripture and the Vulgate-based Tradition. The Roman Catholics cut the knot by rejecting Scripture as a source of authority in favour of that Tradition. This problem for Anglican Catholics applies particularly to the Epistle to the Hebrews where Jerome’s errors are the root of the Catholic Tradition of Eucharistic theology.

In spite of the fact that the death of Christ is referred to as a finished work some twenty-two times in the Epistle, (1: 3 & 13; 2: 9, 10 &14; 3:11; 4: 1, 3 & 9; 5: 9; 7: 27; 8: 12, 14, 25 & 28; 10: 2, 10, 12, 14 & 18 and 12: 2), tortuous attempts are made to show that it was not a finished work.

Many references could be given from the rest of the New Testament teaching that the work of Christ was finished at Calvary, but high on the list must be Mark 10: 45. For the Son of Man did not come to be ministered unto but to minister and to give his life a ransom for many. A ransom, or redemption, was secured by the price being paid once, after which the subject in jeopardy was permanently freed.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
As soon as you show me where the Bible states that the Bible is the sole authority for what I should or should not believe. This is the fourth request after all.

I am fully aware of what I am arguing, you just keep repeating your assumptions and hope that at some point everyone will believe that I actually posted as such. Must be a democrat or a journalist by trade.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I do equate the Day of the Lord as Sunday. We celebrate the Resurrection every Sunday. Sabbath is Saturday.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biblically, the Day of the Lord is at the 2nd coming. It's right there in black and white for all to see. The resurrection is laid out by our Father as the Feast of First Fruits, which occurs on Aviv 17th, three days after the crucifixion. It just happened to fall on Sunday this year, April 24th.
The 7 set-apart Feast Days given to us by our Father in Heaven can not be reconciled with a pagan, solar based Gregorian calendar. The Bible is based on lunar cycles. Other than the Sabbath, no day of the week has any major Biblical importance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Then Rome hid the Bible in a language the laity couldn't speak, and replaced Scripture with it's own doctrine.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

As soon as you show me where the Bible states that the Bible is the sole authority for what I should or should not believe. This is the fourth request after all.

I am fully aware of what I am arguing, you just keep repeating your assumptions and hope that at some point everyone will believe that I actually posted as such. Must be a democrat or a journalist by trade.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you see that?

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Pauls epistles made it around the churches of that day. Before they were even called the Bible. Peter who you claim as your first Pope not only talked about Pauls writings in his epistle but also put Pauls epistles on the same level as other Scriptures, ( Old Testament).

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

The writers of the new Testament were led by the Holy Spirit, What else do you need?
View Quote
That's a huge assumption you make that the author of Peter called Paul's writing 'scripture.' So when Paul speaks of 'scripture,' he is also referring to his own letters, in this case to Timothy? I think not. Undoubtedly, Paul's letter were in circulation, as were countless other non-canonical documents and writings.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Seems the order of Rome is to use the Bible when it supports RCC doctrine; deny it's authority when it doesn't.

The doublespeak is astounding.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That's a huge assumption you make that the author of Peter called Paul's writing 'scripture.' So when Paul speaks of 'scripture,' he is also referring to his own letters, in this case to Timothy? I think not. Undoubtedly, Paul's letter were in circulation, as were countless other non-canonical documents and writings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So are you saying that the Bible that you claim your church put together actually does not contain the inerrant word of God? Because that seems to be the case you are making.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems I certainly stepped in it, between my messed-up quoting and a joking comment taken way too seriously.

I was quoting M-1975, not you, as he is the one commenting on the Sabbath versus Sunday. And the 'trolling' comment is meant to put a lighthearted, modern spin on "His plan, not mine". I'll hit the confessional I guess.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

BTW here's an Anglican quoting TWIRE's "honest protestant" on how dishonest the translating was in the Latin Vulgate:

View Quote
Even this guy admits that the Catholic Church produced the Bible from the deposit of faith, not the other way around. The assumption after this tirade can be summarized as follows: The Catholic Church codified the canon of Scripture and authorized the translation into the vernacular of the Roman empire. Jerome and the Catholic Church, the gates of hell having prevailed over them, willfully manipulated this translation of the Bible and thus catapulted Christians into error for the next 1100 years. Then, thank God, some 1400+ years since its founding, the Church was finally righted by the process of its own destruction.

A laughable and completely disingenuous history from a website dedicated to defamation of Catholic thought.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It seems I certainly stepped in it, between my messed-up quoting and a joking comment taken way too seriously.

I was quoting M-1975, not you, as he is the one commenting on the Sabbath versus Sunday. And the 'trolling' comment is meant to put a lighthearted, modern spin on "His plan, not mine". I'll hit the confessional I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll go first.... but fare warning.. I need a 25 perimeter in case I get smited.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not write Peters letters, Peter did! Do you think the author of Peters letter was someone else? And Peter said, Pauls letters were being misused by unlearned and unstable people as the other Scriptures were. Peter put Pauls letters on the same level as the OT.
Pauls letters and Peters are now called Scripture because they are in the Bible. So why would you be surprised that Peter called Pauls letters Scripture?

Your non-canical books are not written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, They may have some value for history but not for Doctrine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in this thread.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Even this guy admits that the Catholic Church produced the Bible from the deposit of faith, not the other way around. The assumption after this tirade can be summarized as follows: The Catholic Church codified the canon of Scripture and authorized the translation into the vernacular of the Roman empire. Jerome and the Catholic Church, the gates of hell having prevailed over them, willfully manipulated this translation of the Bible and thus catapulted Christians into error for the next 1100 years. Then, thank God, some 1400+ years since its founding, the Church was finally righted by the process of its own destruction.

A laughable and completely disingenuous history from a website dedicated to defamation of Catholic thought.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh so the "honest protestant" isn't honest now?

Like the bible is inerrant one post and unreliable the next.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not in this thread.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in this thread.  
Yep because the SPIN can ONLY be yours. We'll give you a 25 foot perimeter... for smiting no confession needed.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yep because the SPIN can ONLY be yours. We'll give you a 25 foot perimeter... for smiting no confession needed.  
View Quote
Still waiting on your understanding of how all those scriptures don't undermine RCC doctrine.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Still waiting on your understanding of how all those scriptures don't undermine RCC doctrine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have been given pages of that answer and RCC doesn't undermine the Sacred Scripture.

You never answered where Christ was in your life? What do you do to show your faith other than abuse the sacred word?

Preach the Gospel and when necessary use words....

See you have proven nothing but provided more missing pieces.  And it's shade of SAE.  We all know you can use google my friend. The answers are the same. But you are so indoctrinated with a single focal point you refuse to see the joy that comes from living faith.

You have proven over and over and over and over ... and over... aud nausium that it doesn't matter what we say.

The end game for you is to...

A. Wipe Catholics from the face of the earth

B. Prove somehow your thought process is superior to anyone else (which makes you somehow superior to Christ because apparently you are smarter than our Lord. Because you want to rewrite that histiory)

C. Defame the Catholic church

D. Quote the bodies of works from people who for years (in the deep south) have continuously discriminated against the Catholic faith carrying on the agenda of misguided, misinformed assumptions based on hatred.

I have nothing against what you personally want to believe or don't want to believe. You have proven this entire time that it doesn't matter what we quote or say.  

We have a right to practice our faith without persecution.

You take this thread to service on Sunday and twist it to teach more hatred?

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You have been given pages of that answer and RCC doesn't undermine the Sacred Scripture.

You never answered where Christ was in your life? What do you do to show your faith other than abuse the sacred word?

See you have proven nothing but provided more missing pieces.  And it's shade of SAE.  We all know you can use google my friend. The answers are the same. But you are so indoctrinated with a single focal point you refuse to see the joy that comes from living faith.
You have proven over and over and over and over ... and over... aud nausium that it doesn't matter what we say.

B. Prove somehow your thought process is superior to anyone else (which makes you somehow superior to Christ because apparently you are smarter than our Lord. Because you want to rewrite that histiory)

D. Quote the bodies of works from people who for years (in the deep south) have continuously discriminated against the Catholic faith carrying on the agenda of misguided, misinformed assumptions based on hatred.
I have nothing against what you personally want to believe or don't want to believe. You have proven this entire time that it doesn't matter what we quote or say.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I'm trying to do is get you to read the Bible for yourself, see where it differs from Catholic doctrine, because it does, and greatly.
I'm not smarter than Christ, I'm showing you what Christ said, and what the Apostles taught about Him.
I want you to realize that you can have a personal relationship with Christ. For He is our Priest.

1 John 1:3-4

That which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

Ephesians 3:17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts THROUGH
FAITH; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to
comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and
height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be
filled with all the fullness of God.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Done
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top