will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the
desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that
desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything
apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by
the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I
trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of
death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never
leave me to face my perils alone."

He was an astounding insightful writer. He rejected "spiritualism" to find God.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Wise words. Thank you sister Angelfire. Which of his books do you recommend. Hope all is well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You should always start with the Seven Story Mountain.
His descriptions of loneliness and darkness are as poignant as St. Augustine Confessions... There is this realizations that you are the barrier between God and you and then the complete shame

of what that kind of awareness means. If we start there with either one's writings respectively Merton's Seven Story Mountain, and St. Augustine's Confessions, you can literally see, an affecting  illustration of what changed them both into saints.

You see the ordinary in them and their suffering as they search.. and it's as real as our everyday lives.  God chooses the most unlikely people.

Merton said: "When a man is conceived, when a human is brought into being a concrete subsisting thing, ...the God's image is minted into the world"

Think about that for a second... and then contemplate everything you know about God and what Christ did.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should always start with the Seven Story Mountain.

His descriptions of loneliness and darkness are as poignant as St. Augustine Confessions... There is this realizations that you are the barrier between God and you and then the complete shame
of what that kind of awareness means. If we start there with either one's writings respectively Merton's Seven Story Mountain, and St. Augustine's Confessions, you can literally see, an affecting  illustration of what changed them both into saints.
You see the ordinary in them and their suffering as they search.. and it's as real as our everyday lives.  God chooses the most unlikely people.

Merton said: "When a man is conceived, when a human is brought into being a concrete subsisting thing, ...the God's image is minted into the world"
Think about that for a second... and then contemplate everything you know about God and what Christ did.

View Quote

Many Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny timing.  I actually mentioned this prayer to a Mormon friend today.  I love this prayer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Funny timing.  I actually mentioned this prayer to a Mormon friend today.  I love this prayer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the above quote from Seven Story Mountain?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would it mean anything different to a Mormon than to anyone else?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't know.  I wouldn't think so.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonderful Merton prayer, Sister, and you insights are amazing--truly amazing. Thank you!

I've yet to read most of his works, but the one that "grabbed and held me" as a Merton-lover was his essay, "The Rain and the Rhinoceros." It was truly incredible, since I took the essay along with me  to our cabin deep in the woods where I alone spent the night. A rain storm brewed up and the drum roll of the rain on the cabin's standing seam metal roof was Merton's essay literally come-to-life! I'll never forget it....

Excerpt--Rain and the Rhinoceros

But I am also going to sleep, because here in this wilderness I have learned how to sleep again. Here I am not alien. The trees I know, the night I know, the rain I know. I close my eyes and instantly sink into the whole rainy world of which I am a part, and the world goes on with me in it, for I am not alien to it. I am alien to the noises of cities, of people, to the greed of machinery that does not sleep, the hum of power that eats up the night. Where rain, sunlight and darkness are contemned, I cannot sleep. I do not trust anything that has been fabricated to replace the climate of woods or prairies.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Is the above quote from Seven Story Mountain?
View Quote
It's from Thoughts In Solitude.

But this gem is from Seven Story Mountain:

"Souls are like athletes, that need opponents worthy of them, if they
are to be tried and extended and pushed to the full use of their powers,
and rewarded according to their capacity.”

I am delving into some of his journals.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wonderful Merton prayer, Sister, and you insights are amazing--truly amazing. Thank you!

I've yet to read most of his works, but the one that "grabbed and held me" as a Merton-lover was his essay, "The Rain and the Rhinoceros." It was truly incredible, since I took the essay along with me  to our cabin deep in the woods where I alone spent the night. A rain storm brewed up and the drum roll of the rain on the cabin's standing seam metal roof was Merton's essay literally come-to-life! I'll never forget it....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

But I am also going to sleep, because here in this wilderness I have learned how to sleep again. Here I am not alien. The trees I know, the night I know, the rain I know. I close my eyes and instantly sink into the whole rainy world of which I am a part, and the world goes on with me in it, for I am not alien to it. I am alien to the noises of cities, of people, to the greed of machinery that does not sleep, the hum of power that eats up the night. Where rain, sunlight and darkness are contemned, I cannot sleep. I do not trust anything that has been fabricated to replace the climate of woods or prairies.
You can't go wrong reading Merton, Augustine, and Henri Nouwen.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will put these on my list of "to reads". Thank you Sister Angelfire and I hope you and Brother BNA are doing well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top