Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2016 10:26:57 AM EDT
Obviously, for us Bible believers, the Good Book has the best there is to offer; but I am a big fan of numerous theologians and godly men throughout history who had the fantastic ability of delivering thought-provoking or simply uplifting ideas into our daily lives. Maybe others share the same sentiments and would like to have a central location to find quotes on authors and topics that we particularly find valuable.

I'd like to propose posting up our favorites, or quotes we stumble upon and feel would be useful for the group, in the following format (for aiding in ease of sorting or research later):

"Author/Individual" - "Source/Book/Writing" - (useful topical category)

So I'll start with an example:

G.K. Chesterton - Orthodoxy [1908] - (PROGRESS, SOCIAL CHANGE)
“Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision.”

I added a little extra detail, but if it is not available or unknown, no big deal. This might just help some of us who find good quotes and want to read the writing around it in its original source!

I hope you all have a good day - and remember - God's Grace makes life unfair. Without it, we all might get what we truly deserve! (I'm probably paraphrasing someone in history, but I'm not sure who. Reliant K song?)
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#1]
J.C. Ryle - Alive or Dead? - (DEATH, THE SOUL)
"Others may think it enough to mourn over dead bodies. For my part, I think there is far more cause to mourn over dead souls."
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I could just dump a million Chesterton quotes in this thread.

G.K. Chesterton, What’s Wrong with the World [1912] - (Life)
"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried."  

G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy [1910] - (Traditions, Ancestors)
“Tradition means giving a vote to most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen to be walking about. All democrats object to men being disqualified by the accident of birth; tradition objects to their being disqualified by the accident of death. Democracy tells us not to neglect a good man’s opinion, even if he is our groom; tradition asks us not to neglect a good man’s opinion, even if he is our father.”
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could just dump a million Chesterton quotes in this thread.

View Quote

I thought the exact same thing...hence that was my example. Haha!
Great quotes you just posted. Thanks for joining in/helping out.
Post all the G.K. you want, my friend....
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
"All ages can testifie enough how profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie."

(Attributed to Pope Leo X)
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"All ages can testifie enough how profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From wikipedia:
Widely attributed to Leo X, the earliest known source of this statement is actually a polemical work by the Protestant John Bale, the anti-Catholic Acta Romanorum Pontificum, which was first translated from Latin into English as The Pageant of the Popes in 1574

Let's stick to verifiable quotes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Widely attributed to Leo X, the earliest known source of this statement is actually a polemical work by the Protestant John Bale, the anti-Catholic Acta Romanorum Pontificum, which was first translated from Latin into English as The Pageant of the Popes in 1574: "For on a time when a cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuous answer saying: All ages can testifie enough how profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie." The Pope in this case being Leo X. Later accounts of it exist, as recorded by Vatican Librarian, Cardinal Baronius in the Annales Ecclesiastici (1597) a 12-volume history of the Church.
In a more modern polemic, "The Criminal History of the Papacy" by Tony Bushby, in Nexus Magazine Volume 14, Number 3 (April - May 2007), it is stated that "The pope's pronouncement is recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (De Vita Leonis Decimi..., op. cit.), two associates who were witnesses to it."

It appears that you didn't post the whole entry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

If by "attributed" you mean written by the playwright (and Protestant) John Bale in the 16th century in his play "The Pageant of the Pipes", then sure...

We enjoy the weapons quote attributed to Sigmund Freud, but that doesn't make it true, unfortunately
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Back on topic....

A.W. Tozer - The Pursuit of God - (PAIN, TROUBLE)
"It is doubtful whether God can bless a man greatly until He has hurt him deeply."

A.W. Tozer - The Pursuit of God - (PAIN, TROUBLE)
"The reason why many are still troubled, still seeking, still making little forward progress is because they haven't yet come to the end of themselves. We're still trying to give orders, and interfering with God's work within us."
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Widely attributed to Leo X, the earliest known source of this statement is actually a polemical work by the Protestant John Bale, the anti-Catholic Acta Romanorum Pontificum, which was first translated from Latin into English as The Pageant of the Popes in 1574: "For on a time when a cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuous answer saying: All ages can testifie enough how profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie." The Pope in this case being Leo X. Later accounts of it exist, as recorded by Vatican Librarian, Cardinal Baronius in the Annales Ecclesiastici (1597) a 12-volume history of the Church.
In a more modern polemic, "The Criminal History of the Papacy" by Tony Bushby, in Nexus Magazine Volume 14, Number 3 (April - May 2007), it is stated that "The pope's pronouncement is recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (De Vita Leonis Decimi..., op. cit.), two associates who were witnesses to it."

View Quote

I didn't think a claim by Tony Bushby was worth noting.

Do you consider Tony Bushby a solid source for things about Christianity?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking more of the contemporary witnesses to the statement.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a more modern polemic, "The Criminal History of the Papacy" by Tony Bushby, in Nexus Magazine Volume 14, Number 3 (April - May 2007), it is stated that "The pope's pronouncement is recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (), two associates who were witnesses to it."

And you trust Bushby's citations. Cool.

A fascinatingly large collection of works are available online. Please, find them and link to the direct citations.

A google search alone turns up some interesting links.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A fascinatingly large collection of works are available online. Please, find them and link to the direct citations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a more modern polemic, "The Criminal History of the Papacy" by Tony Bushby, in Nexus Magazine Volume 14, Number 3 (April - May 2007), it is stated that "The pope's pronouncement is recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (), two associates who were witnesses to it."

I guess we only believe the contemporary witnesses who report "correctly".
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
This isn't a Papal nor "anti-Christian" quote twisting thread, so whatever the truth, it doesn't belong in this thread. It's easy to start a new one if you're wanting to expand on the topic, however!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess we only believe what some guy who wrote a book called "The Bible Fraud" and regularly cites documents that either don't exist or don't say what he claims they do. And thinks Jesus became a Druid king in England.

If you think the contemporary witnesses are correct, then go look up the documents online and cite them yourself.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#16]

One day a
lady criticized D. L. Moody for his methods of evangelism in attempting
to win people to the Lord. Moody's reply was "I agree with you. I don't
like the way I do it either. Tell me, how do you do it?" The lady
replied, "I don't do it." Moody retorted, "Then I like my way of doing
it better than your way of not doing it."
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#17]
“Imagine a person who comes in here tonight and argues 'no air exists' but continues to breathe air while he argues. Now intellectually, atheists continue to breathe - they continue to use reason and draw scientific conclusions [which assumes an orderly universe], to make moral judgments [which assumes absolute values] - but the atheistic view of things would in theory make such 'breathing' impossible. They are breathing God's air all the time they are arguing against him.”
? Greg L. Bahnsen
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One day a lady criticized D. L. Moody for his methods of evangelism in attempting to win people to the Lord. Moody's reply was "I agree with you. I don't like the way I do it either. Tell me, how do you do it?" The lady replied, "I don't do it." Moody retorted, "Then I like my way of doing it better than your way of not doing it."

View Quote

That is great -- about as blunt of a point as one can acknowledge regarding our action vs. inaction.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
“Imagine a person who comes in here tonight and argues 'no air exists' but continues to breathe air while he argues. Now intellectually, atheists continue to breathe - they continue to use reason and draw scientific conclusions [which assumes an orderly universe], to make moral judgments [which assumes absolute values] - but the atheistic view of things would in theory make such 'breathing' impossible. They are breathing God's air all the time they are arguing against him.”
? Greg L. Bahnsen
View Quote

That's great! I had to borrow this one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Jonathan Edwards - Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God - (SOVEREIGNTY, OMNIPOTENCE, GRACE)

"...and if God should let you go, you would immediately sink and swiftly descend and plunge into the bottomless gulf, and your healthy constitution, and your own care and prudence, and best contrivance, and all your righteousness, would have no more influence to uphold you and keep you out of hell, than a spider's web would have to stop a falling rock.'
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#21]
"Desperate times call for faithful men, and not for careful men.  The careful men come later and write the biographies of the faithful men, lauding them for their courage.”

Douglas Wilson

He was speaking about the Church and society.  So it is Christianity related.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Desperate times call for faithful men, and not for careful men.  The careful men come later and write the biographies of the faithful men, lauding them for their courage.”

Douglas Wilson

He was speaking about the Church and society.  So it is Christianity related.
View Quote

Very cool quote! I'd definitely say he's right.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]
George MacDonald - Hope of the Gospel - (OBEDIENCE, VICTORY, PRAYER)
"The sum of the whole matter is this:—The Son has come from the Father to set the children free from their sins; the children must hear and obey him, that he may send forth judgment unto victory.
Son of our Father, help us to do what thou sayest, and so with thee die unto sin, that we may rise to the sonship for which we were created. Help us to repent even to the sending away of our sins."
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I like to watch Robert Morris on TV and he used this quote from  Pastor Jack Hayford

“You can’t disciple a demon, and you can’t cast out the flesh!”
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#25]
"Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, and love is given." by Kinky Friedman
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#26]
G.K. Chesterton - Orthodoxy [1908] - (ORDER, OBSERVATION, YOUTH)

"A child kicks his legs rhythmically through excess, not absence, of life. Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, “Do it again”; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, “Do it again” to the sun; and every evening, “Do it again” to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we..."
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#27]
For
neither in those prayers which we poured forth to thee, when the sacrifice of our
redemption was offered up to thee for her.... -- Augustine, Confessions-Book 9, Chapter 12

The reference is to the death and burial of his mother, Monica. Clearly, a mass was offered on her behalf. The implications of this statement attest to the historicity of Catholic belief and worship in the time frame before the canon of scripture.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#28]
“If God were willing to sell His grace, we would accept it more quickly and gladly than when He offers it for nothing.”
Martin Luther
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Pope Benedict XV, Bonum Sane, 1920

"The coming of a world state is longed for, by all the worst and most distorted elements. This state, based on the principles of absolute equality of men and a community of possessions, would banish all national loyalties. In it no acknowledgement would be made of the authority of a father over his children, or of God over human society. If these ideas are put into practice, there will inevitably follow a reign of unheard-of terror."
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

"The coming of a world state is longed for, by all the worst and most distorted elements. This state, based on the principles of absolute equality of men and a community of possessions, would banish all national loyalties. In it no acknowledgement would be made of the authority of a father over his children, or of God over human society. If these ideas are put into practice, there will inevitably follow a reign of unheard-of terror."
View Quote
What a contrast to Francis

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interestingly, I found this quote from a speech by Benedict XVI where he used this quote and also referenced the book Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson. The book is a dystopian novel written in 1907 and is basically the Catholic 1984. It is very prophetic and seems to reflect the pessimistic worldview of the evils of rampant secularism of crusty old conservative Catholics (such as myself).  Francis has said that this book has influenced his thinking quite a bit and when he mentions "ideological colonization," he says the book explains what he means. I've started reading it and it's very good so far.

To stay on topic:

"In the ages of faith a very inadequate grasp of religion would pass muster; in these searching days none but the humble and the pure could stand the test for long, unless indeed they were protected by a miracle of ignorance. The alliance of Psychology and Materialism did indeed seem, looked at from one angle, to account for everything; it needed a robust supernatural perception to understand their practical inadequacy."

Robert Hugh Benson, Lord of the World
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#32]
A discussion between quantum physicists and the parallel to faith:

—everything that we can see is made up of
these quanta particles. What makes these quanta particles so special is
that they do not behave in ways according to known laws of physics, thus
making them more of a series of probabilities, rather than something we
can scientifically define and observe. Everything that we can see is made up of things that we cannot see—unseen
particles. It is in this unexplained, fundamental discovery in science
that we find our first Biblical evidence of this phenomenon in Hebrews
11:3 "By fatih
we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command,
that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen."

Albert Einstein, whom spent much time
studying quantum physics, made a parallel discovery that time and space
were relative, not absolute as they were believed before (the Theory of
Relativity). After spending may years trying to refute his findings in
quantum physics, Albert Einstein conceded to this phenomenon and was
quoted as saying "For us physicists, the distinction between past,
present and future is only an illusion."

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Dwight D. Eisenhower, Remarks to the American Legion, February 20, 1955

"Without God, there could be no American form of Government, nor an American way of life. Recognition of the Supreme Being is the first -- the most basic -- expression of Americanism. Thus the Founding Fathers saw it, and thus, with God's help, it will continue to be."
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Awesome thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top