Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2015 1:48:36 PM EDT
I have a few questions that I'd like answered with Scripture as possible. First, if a man can become God or a god has this been going on for eternity.? If not, when/what was the origin?

In regards to the Native Americans being from the Lamanites? What would be the argument against the DNA testing done showing that they actually came from Asia?

And finally, is there an absolute truth? If so where does it come from? Does each God get to declare their own truth or are they obligated to follow some larger truth?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I will share some thoughts using both Bible verses as well as other LDS scripture, which I think is in keeping with the spirit of your questions.

Quoted:
First, if a man can become God or a god has this been going on for eternity.? If not, when/what was the origin?
View Quote

First lets start with Matthew 5 where Christ teaches the be-attitudes. Christ presented these as commandments. Notice the very last one (verse 48) - Be ye therefore perfect even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.  I think it's important to recognize that we have been commanded to become perfect. Perfect like unto the Father.

How does the LDS faith feel regarding the nature of God? There are many things that make this plain. For example, in the first article of faith (The 13 articles of faith are a summary statement of the LDS faith, and are considered scripture.)... the first article of faith states: “We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.” Note that the first statement of the first article is a proclamation that God the Father is eternal.

Other scripture (not an exhaustive list) which proclaims that God is eternal:
Hebrews 9:14
1 Timothy 1:17
2 Nephi 26:12
Deuteronomy 33:27
2 Nephi 9:8
Alma 34:9
D&C 121:32
1 Nephi 12:18
Ether 8:23
Alma 11:44
Moroni 4:3
Moroni 5:2
Titus 1:2
Romanys 6:23
1 Peter 5:10
D&C 20:77
1 John 5:13
D&C 20:79

In regards to the Native Americans being from the Lamanites? What would be the argument against the DNA testing done showing that they actually came from Asia?
View Quote

That's a good question and I think a legitimate one.  It is easy for Book of Mormon readers to miss the fact that nowhere does the book state or imply that there were no other peoples in the Americas. To the contrary, the scripture explicitly states there are/were/will be others.

2 Nephi 1:5:
"But, said he, notwithstanding our afflictions, we have obtained a land of promise, a land which is choice above all other lands; a land which the Lord God hath covenanted with me should be a land for the inheritance of my seed. Yea, the Lord hath covenanted this land unto me, and to my children forever, and also all those who should be led out of other countries by the hand of the Lord"

We believe there were others led to the Americas by the Lord.

And finally, is there an absolute truth? If so where does it come from? Does each God get to declare their own truth or are they obligated to follow some larger truth?
View Quote

Psalms 117: 2
For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the Lord endureth for ever. Praise ye the Lord.

Now, at this point many antagonists would say "If truth is eternal why has your religion (any religion) made changes to its approved practices?

D&C 93:30
All truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself, as all intelligence also; otherwise there is no existence.

There is a difference between an eternal principle, and a religious practice. For example, before the resurection of Christ, followers were commanded to perform sacrifice and burt offerings. Following the atonement of Christ we have been commanded to replace these Law of Moses practices with the Sacrament. I offer this as just one example of a commandment to change religious practices, which in no way change the nature of God. For those who would question why those things mentioned were changed, the answer is simple. Sacrifice and burnt offering were to teach and remind us of the coming of our Lord and Savior. The Sacrament teaches and reminds us these events have occurred. A before and after if you will.

There's so much more that could be discussed here, but I'm out of time. Thank  you for the opportunity to share.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
In regards to being the spirit children/offspring of God the Father:

Psalms 82:6
"I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."

Acts 17:29
"Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device."

We are created in God's image:
Genesis 1:26-27

Our relationship with God and how it relates to our potential:
Romans 8:
"16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together."

John 10:
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Revelation 3:21 "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top