Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2015 11:44:01 AM EDT
BATON ROUGE- State leaders blasted the feds Monday for not alerting them about 14 Syrian refugees who were resettled in Louisiana. It's unclear when they arrived.

The majority of them are in the New Orleans area, but one came to Baton Rouge. WBRZ has learned Catholic Charities helped the refugee who settled in Baton Rouge, but said the immigrant left for another state after a couple of days, and they don't know where the refugee went since they don't track them.
View Quote

ok, y'all prolly know that I am a Catholic. Both my maternal and paternal families came here from Europe in the 1800s to work the coal mines and steel mills. Back then, immigration was strictly enforced, and you were treated like cattle coming in--medical exams forced many to return to the "old country" because of minor health problems that today we routinely cure. My immigrant progenitors all learned English, worked like dogs, paid their taxes, never got welfare, raised their families, fought in WW I, WWII, Korea and Viet Nam.They became 100% true blooded "Americans" and were and still are proud of the US of A. Back in the day, in large part, the Catholic Church at the parish level was there to help and assist in language barriers, employment. problem-solving and the like. There was accountability. People were responsible.

So, when I see a story like this where Catholic Charities helps out or "sponsors" immigrants, who then promptly "skedaddle" out from under any reporting or accountability to the sponsor AND then the  sponsor gives the old, lame "ain't my job" response. it really gets to me. Burns me up.

What are these people at Catholic Charities thinking? Are they thinking? Who vetted this Syrian refugee? Any vetting at all?

Syrian Refugee Already "MIssing" in LA

Catholic Charities Helped Syrian Refugee
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Oops I lost my keys.
Oops I lost the remote.
Oops I lost a terrorist.

I don't believe there was any vetting done at all. ( My opinion only)
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
the Catholic Church and immigrants back in the day---the Church DID keep tabs on their charges!

Hughes encouraged the formation of the Irish Emigrant Society, out of which the Emigrant Industrial Savings Bank later grew. The society helped find people jobs in sail making, construction, carriage repair and maintenance, and grocery stores. The society expected those it sponsored to behave properly on the job and work conscientiously, so as to reflect credit upon their patron. Those who misbehaved in-curred the wrath not only of their employers but of the Emigrant Society and the parish priest, both unembarrassed about using shame to encourage good behavior.
View Quote

How "Dagger John" Saved NYC's Irish Immigrants
(long read but very informative)

Transformed: from street brawlers to the NYC Police! (in short order--by discipline and accountability)

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Just goes to show how EVERYTHING has been infested with liberals...
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
There's multiple reasons why my wife and I don't give to Catholic Charities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top