User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So does mine.

The trick, of course, is getting my lazy heathen ass to the church at all.

I have no excuses. Just gotta do it.
View Quote

It's funny what we take seriously and what we blow off, whether intended or not.

I'm...dare I say, religious...about getting to (Saturday night or) Sunday Mass, and making sure my wife and kids get there. I'm already trying to figure out the logistics of this weekend because we are traveling several hours Fri night, won;t be back until sometime Sunday afternoon, and I'm not driving so I have no control over getting us anywhere while out of town. I know traveling is what it is, but I don't like using that as an excuse.
The flip side is I'm sure I'm off base on some things that you are more on top of.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Gotta get my butt to confession and mass. I always feel better when I do. I'm suffering from STD - Spiritually-Transmitted Disease.
View Quote

Lent starts tomorrow.  I'm laying down the challenge for you and me to go to confession NLT the first weekend of March.  I haven't been since November myself.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's funny what we take seriously and what we blow off, whether intended or not.

I'm...dare I say, religious...about getting to (Saturday night or) Sunday Mass, and making sure my wife and kids get there. I'm already trying to figure out the logistics of this weekend because we are traveling several hours Fri night, won;t be back until sometime Sunday afternoon, and I'm not driving so I have no control over getting us anywhere while out of town. I know traveling is what it is, but I don't like using that as an excuse.
The flip side is I'm sure I'm off base on some things that you are more on top of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So does mine.

The trick, of course, is getting my lazy heathen ass to the church at all.

I have no excuses. Just gotta do it.

http://masstimes.org/
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've decided to give up ar15.com for lent. see you guys in 40 or so. Have a holy paschal season.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've decided to give up ar15.com for lent. see you guys in 40 or so. Have a holy paschal season.
View Quote

Ditto. Thanks for the reminder.

Catch you on the flip-side...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't get you out of confession...
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dropped the ball and haven't come up with anything to give up for lent but now I've found it. I'm a little late, but just closed my one EE listing and I'm out. See y'all on Easter!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Though I'm not Catholic, I want to throw this in regarding the Sabbath day and when it is recognized.  

…4Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.…

From Romans.  Verse 6 is the pertinant verse here.  The preceding and following are included for context.  Early Christians celebrated on the first day of the week.  Paul addresses people who didn't like this.  I have no problem with people celebrating on the 7th day or the first.  If you are convinced in your mind and do it to Glorify God, good.  I'm pretty sure that the word Sunday came after the New Testament.  And they were celebrating on the first day of the week there.  So if the word came from pagans or not doesn't matter.  I'm positive tht the names of planets came from gods.  Doesn't men the planets are owned by tht religion.
View Quote

It might also be illuminating to read some of the early Church fathers. The letters of Ignatius of Antioch, dating to the first century after the crucifixion, discuss that it was the apostles themselves who shifted the day or worship to Sunday in order to commerorate the resurrection.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top