Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 2:05:51 PM EDT
Do you believe if you choose to live your life with one woman or man and not get married, that God will condemn you to hell.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Do you believe if you choose to live your life with one woman or man and not get married, that God will condemn you to hell.
View Quote

All men are sinful and condemned.  Salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ, not any work we do.

Marriage is a religious institution, a piece of paper from the state doesn't matter.  IMO if a man and a woman are committed to each other they are married in God's eyes. No ceremony or paper is required.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Which god?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All men are sinful and condemned.  Salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ, not any work we do.

Marriage is a religious institution, a piece of paper from the state doesn't matter.  IMO if a man and a woman are committed to each other they are married in God's eyes. No ceremony or paper is required.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right. There is no marriage ceremony or document in the Bible.
It says he took her into his tent, or he laid with her, and she became his wife.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the support. That is how I feel. I have a friend that is convinced I'm join to hell because of my relationship status with my girlfriend.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you for the support. That is how I feel. I have a friend that is convinced I'm join to hell because of my relationship status with my girlfriend.
View Quote

The Sacrament of Marriage is made  by the man, woman & God. If you two have committed yourselves this way then it would be seen as a marriage. Otherwise, it is considered living in sin. With that said, we all are living in sin. Everyone sins. Jesus just asks us to make the best effort to try not to sin.

I, nor anyone on this Earth could tell you that you are going to hell. So, that is a personal question. Follow your conscience.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Imo if your commited to each other for life then yeah no sin, IMO

But Jesus said pay back Caesars things to caesars but gods things to God, mankind governments made marriage a legal institution with paperwork etc, so you should go through the legal way because following Mans laws is the right thing to do as long as it doesn't interfere with your relationship with God. So yes you should be legally married.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Is she your wife?

Are you her husband?

What vow have you made before God? What vow has she made before God?

If she is not your wife, you both are fornicating. Fornication is clearly a sin and talked about many times in the Bible.

Pretty simple.

Read Matthew 19:1-12

Words of Jesus on the subject.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Hebreww 13:4
Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI, as per SOP! ??
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok so now the confusion has set in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But Jesus said pay back Caesars things to caesars but gods things to God, mankind governments made marriage a legal institution with paperwork etc, so you should go through the legal way because following Mans laws is the right thing to do as long as it doesn't interfere with your relationship with God. So yes you should be legally married.
View Quote

There is no law requiring marriage, so which of Caesar's laws would be broken?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here's the question that matters.  Are you a Christian?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do not have to be confused. Read your Bible. Pray for guidance.

The answer is clear and is discussed a lot in the Bible.

BTW, your friend has no right to tell you that you're going to hell. Only God judges men. We should inform our brothers when they do wrong. We can show scripture, then it's between them and God.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there is no law regarding marriage then why did the gays go to so much trouble to change our laws so they could marry?

Answer,  Marriage is a covenant between two people to be seen by both God and man.
Similar to baptism we do as a sign of our faith.

They now also have a civil right to the spouses affairs.  

To show ones commitment to another we take a vow.  
That's why so many people now are just living with God and not committed to him.
They want the quick benefits but when the going gets rough they hit the road.

Do the right thing.  Let the marriage bed be undefiled.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's the question that matters. Are you a Christian?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's the question that matters. Are you a Christian?

I would make it more pointed: Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your savior and asked him to forgive you of your sins?  

To bring it back to the basics - John 3:16, For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

We have all sinned - Romans 3:23, For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.

Romans 6:23, For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:13, for everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

If you put your faith and trust in Christ, call upon Him and ask for his salvation and forgiveness for your sins He will save you.

As to whether you are married or not, do you consider her your wife?  IMO the paper isn't important but I wouldn't call my wife my girlfriend and consider myself to be inline with God's word.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If there is no law regarding marriage then why did the gays go to so much trouble to change our laws so they could marry?

Answer,  Marriage is a covenant between two people to be seen by both God and man.

That's why so many people now are just living with God and not committed to him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said there is no law requiring marriage.
Would you consider Isaac and Rebekah's bed defiled?
Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent, and he took Rebekah, and she became his wife, and he loved her; thus Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent, and he took Rebekah, and she became his wife, and he loved her; thus Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They fulfilled the requirements of their culture to rightfully call themselves married.

In out culture, one of the requirements to rightfully call yourself married is a legal endorsement.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They fulfilled the requirements of their culture to rightfully call themselves married.

In out culture, one of the requirements to rightfully call yourself married is a legal endorsement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's tradition of men, not Biblical, and has nothing to do with the OP. I'm all for legal marriage, and was just answering the OP. Culture has nothing to do with it.  No man has the right to judge another as far as condemnation. Only our Father in Heaven does.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suppose that has more to do with what he thinks about her.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#20]
[b]Quoted:

View Quote

Back at ya then.   Please tell me what Jesus was talking about when Moses allowed a CERTIFICATE of divorce?

That sounds like paperwork to me in regards to some kind of contractual agreement.   What was a dowry?   What was a betroval .

These were all binding contracts in the days Jesus walked the earth.  

What I see in the OP's question is, " How far can I sin before God's Judgment intervenes "

We need to stop making excuses and get back to the heart of his Laws and commandments.

Gods judgment begins with the house of God. 1 Peter 4:17-18

Remember that women caught red handed in adultery?   Jesus did not say don't throw any stones at her,
 He just said let the one without sin throw the first one.

We are not a sinless people here but the motive should be to daily strive to sin less.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Back at ya then.   Please tell me what Jesus was talking about when Moses allowed a CERTIFICATE of divorce?

That sounds like paperwork to me in regards to some kind of contractual agreement.   What was a dowry?   What was a betroval .

What I see in the OP's question is, " How far can I sin before God's Judgment intervenes "

We need to stop making excuses and get back to the heart of his Laws and commandments.

Remember that women caught red handed in adultery?   Jesus did not say don't throw any stones at her,

We are not a sinless people here but the motive should be to daily strive to sin less.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The state "marries" same sex couples these days. I don't see any reason the secular state should be involved in marriage.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

Adultery and a committed relationship between a man and woman(marriage) are separate things. The certificate of divorce was not originally intended.

They said, “Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away.”  But Jesus said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart he wrote you this commandment.  But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female.  For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother, and the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one flesh.  What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”

Do you see Isaac and Rebekah's union, as well as many other references of "he laid with her, and she became his wife" as sin?
I whole heartedly agree with you when you said "We need to stop making excuses and get back to the heart of his Laws and commandments.", like keeping the Sabbath, eating clean and observing our Father's set apart Holy Days, which most in the church don't even have a clue about, due to blindly following traditions of men.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's tradition of men, not Biblical, and has nothing to do with the OP. I'm all for legal marriage, and was just answering the OP. Culture has nothing to do with it.  No man has the right to judge another as far as condemnation. Only our Father in Heaven does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For someone who's all for legal marriage, you sure have spent a lot of time in this thread trying to argue against it.  

Bottom line.  Christians are commanded to obey their governing authorities.  (Rom. 13:1)

Our governing authorities say that in order to be married, you need a marriage license.

Therefore, if you lack one you are not married.

If you choose to live with your girlfriend as if she was your wife when she is not, you are living a lifestyle of willful unrepentant sin.

Such a lifestyle is contrary to the life a Christian is expected to live.  (Which is why I asked OP whether or not he is a Christian.)

As such, it is a big red flag that there is a major spiritual problem in that person's life.(1 John 1:6)
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
But being married is also a cultural and social choice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#25]
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="AMFMf9cN64U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got a little change in my pocket going jingle lingle ling
Want to call you on the telephone baby I give you a ring
But each time we talk I get the same old thing
Always no huggin no kissin until I get a wedding ring
My honey my baby don't put my love upon no shelf
She said don't give no lines and keep your hands to yourself

Cruel baby baby baby why you want to treat me this way
you know I'm still your lover boy I still feel the same way
that's when she told me a story 'bout free milk and a cow
and she said no huggin no kissin until I get a wedding vow
my honey my baby don't put my love upon no shelf
she said don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself

you see I wanted her real bad and I was about to give in
that's when she started talkin' true love started talkin' about sin
I said honey I'll live with you for the rest of my life
she said no huggin no kissin until you make me your wife
my honey my baby don't put my love on no shelf
she don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

One more question: are either of you divorced? If so, then getting married isn't an option either.

Luke 16:18
Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not so sure about that remarriage thing. If you look up the Greek there are different words for "put away" ( separated), and "divorced". Luke 16:18 uses the word for separated.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#28]
g630 apolyo is all I see in Luke.

edit: found the other one
G5563 - chorizo
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's an example of both Greek words being used:

(Mat 19:7 NKJV)
They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce (apostasion G647), and to put her away (apoluo G630)?"
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It says he took her into his tent, or he laid with her, and she became his wife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did Jesus work His first public miracle?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At a Marriage ceremony.
I probably should have worded it different. I was referring to the ceremony that is commonly read at weddings from a Pastor's edition Bible, but wasn't in Scripture.
Once again, I'm not anti marriage, and not living out of wedlock.
Just trying to point out to the OP that it's not for any man to judge him. Only the Father can do that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I understand that a marriage is a covenant (commitment) between man and woman. The two are joined together hence, 'one flesh'. God being witness.

While marriages throughout most of biblical history involved some type of public ceremony (and celebration), such a ceremony is not required for a biblical marriage to have taken place. In the case of Isaac and Rebekah and others, no ceremony is recorded (Genesis 24:67). But a shared ingredient between common law marriage and one involving a ceremony is a publicly expressed intent to be married. Two people living together without that expressed intent are not in a common law marriage; they are just cohabiting. Isaac and Rebekah did not just begin living together; there was a clear expression of intent that their union be of a permanent nature (see Genesis 24:51, 57). Another common ingredient of common law marriage and one involving a ceremony and license is its legal standing. In order for a common law marriage to be dissolved, a legal divorce must be obtained. (Again, in God’s original intent for marriage, there should be no divorce.) Another trait of the model marriages in the Bible, whether or not they involved a public ceremony, is that there was no sexual activity prior to the marriage—there was no cohabiting.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

At a Marriage ceremony.
I probably should have worded it different. I was referring to the ceremony that is commonly read at weddings from a Pastor's edition Bible, but wasn't in Scripture.
Just trying to point out to the OP that it's not for any man to judge him. Only the Father can do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At a Marriage ceremony.

OP asked people what their opinions were.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#34]
NO!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

No
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top