Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2015 9:53:08 AM EDT
In a recent speech, the pope was accused of speaking out against arms makers. The anti-gun left has taken this and ran, almost a new torch. In reading the transcript and context of his words, the real message is found: the duplicity and hypocrisy of man. His reference of the Armenian genocide in 1915, as well as Auschwitz and the Russian Gulag, describe nations 'looking the other way'.

I am not a Catholic and am pro-gun rights. I do find light in a leader... a christian leader who speaks for a return to the precepts of the Great Rabbi.

Included is reference to the transcript, for the reader to draw their own conclusion to words written about love, life, and friends.

"However, these words can only be lived by “going forth”: always going forth to contribute to something. If you stand still, you won’t do anything in life and you will ruin your own."

It seems another speaks of following one's words and ideals... walking the walk.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/speeches/2015/june/documents/papa-francesco_20150621_torino-giovani.html

As mentioned in the text, we see what we want to see.

buckmeister
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You're a good man going directly to the source! Thank you.

It makes me think one thing: people, leaders, entrepreneurs who call themselves Christians, and manufacture arms! This gives rise to some mistrust: they call themselves Christians! “No, no, Father, I don’t manufacture them, no, no.... I only have my savings, my investments in arms factories”. Ah! And why? “Because the interest is somewhat higher...”. And being two-faced is common currency today: saying something and doing another. Hypocrisy.... But we see what happened in the last century: in ’14, ’15, in ’15 in fact. There was that great tragedy in Armenia. So many died. I don’t know the figure: more than a million certainly. But where were the great powers of the time? They were looking the other way. Why? Because they were interested in war: their war! And those who died were people, second class human beings. Then, in the ’30s and ’40s the tragedy of the Shoah. The great powers had photographs of the railroads that took trains to the concentration camps, such as Auschwitz, to kill Jews, and also Christians, also Rom, also homosexuals, to kill them there. But tell me, why didn’t they bomb that? Interest! And shortly after, almost contemporaneously, there was the Russian Gulag, under Stalin.... How many Christians suffered, were killed! The great powers divided Europe among themselves like a cake. So many years had to pass before reaching a “certain” freedom. There is that hypocrisy of speaking of peace and producing arms, and even selling arms to this one who is at war with that one, and to that one who is at war with this one!
View Quote

The Holy Father does, in fact, here bring up a good point about young people "living" as opposed to merely "existing."

I am Catholic, and what His Holiness says here is not dogma or church policy--in fact, a good article has been written on Pope Francis' uncanny ability to be a "fallible" pope with some of his off-the-cuff remarks:

Papal Fallibility

Regardless of what the Pope says, I WILL KEEP MY FIREARMS, One of the first orders of business as a Christian, in my opinion, is to protect oneself so that one can serve Christ, serve others, evangelize, and so on. Faith in action requires prudence in an evil world.

Thanks for setting me straight on the Pope's comments!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not as big a fan of Francis as I was of JPII, but there is no doubt that Francis must be the most ill-quoted Pontiff in history...
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Regardless of what the Pope says, I WILL KEEP MY FIREARMS, One of the first orders of business as a Christian, in my opinion, is to protect oneself so that one can serve Christ, serve others, evangelize, and so on. Faith in action requires prudence in an evil world.

Thanks for setting me straight on the Pope's comments!
View Quote

I like our Pope. He his humble & fallible. I never believe the first glance that people immediately take on his words. With that said, some things have confused me, but confusions is from the evil one. I pray for wisdom.

As with keeping my guns. It is my hobby & my protection. I will protect my family & others. For it is a sin not to protect your family. But, if Christ asks me to lay down my life for Him? I hope for the strength of the Holy Spirit. I do not want to kill wantonly. Sometimes the death of a loved one is a witness to God. We shall see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top