Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2015 5:44:23 AM EDT
I thought some of you would be interested in some pictures of some places of Christian significance that I visited while on vacation to Italy. My wife and I spent two weeks there and saw Rome, Naples, Florence and Venice with a lot of stops in between.  There's a lot to cover but I'll try to get it up over the next few days splitting it up in to several posts.

Our first stop was Rome.  The amount of important Churches, relics, Christian art, etc. in this city was just overwhelming.  We were there for 5 days and didn't even scratch the surface.  

One of the first places we stopped by was the Basilica of St. Peter in Chains.  This church was built in the 5th century (!) to house the relics of the chains that bound St. Peter.  The church has been added on to and renovated several times since then.  It's amazing to me that these chains have been in the same building for 1500 years.  It was very cool to see them up close.

One interesting tidbit is that this church is assigned to our own Cardinal Wuerl.  

The chains were in the center of the sanctuary.  The painting in the dome behind it was pretty awesome.

There was also an impressive fresco on the ceiling depicting the miracle of the chains.

An explanation of the miracle of the chains from Wikipedia:

"Also known as the Basilica Eudoxiana, it was first rebuilt on older foundations[1] in 432–440 to house the relic of the chains that bound Saint Peter when he was imprisoned in Jerusalem, the episode called "Liberation of Saint Peter". The Empress Eudoxia (wife of Emperor Valentinian III), who received them as a gift from her mother, Aelia Eudocia, consort of Valentinian II, presented the chains to Pope Leo I. Aelia Eudocia had received these chains as a gift from Iuvenalis, bishop of Jerusalem.

According to legend, when Leo compared them to the chains of St. Peter's final imprisonment in the Mamertine Prison, in Rome, the two chains miraculously fused together. The chains are now kept in a reliquary under the main altar in the basilica."

While I was most interested in seeing the chains, the main draw for most people to this church is Michelangelo's statue of Moses.  It was nothing to shake a stick at either.

On the way out this tomb caught my eye.  They were pretty serious about "memento mori" in those days.

I could have spent the whole day in there just digesting everything, but we probably only spent an hour there.  Like I said, the amount of stuff in Rome is just overwhelming!

I'll try to post up some more tonight.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Very beautiful. I hope to one day see these places.

Did you stop by the Chapel Quo Vadis?

History of Quo Vadis

Along the Via Appia Antica, famous for its Christian catacombs, is the legendary site where the soon-to-be-Saint Peter, scurrying away from the Christian persecutions in Rome, met a vision of Christ blocking the road.
The church built beside that site is called Domine, Quo Vadis—an odd name for a church, until you hear the parable behind it.
The vision of Christ replied, "To Rome, to be crucified a second time," whereupon Jesus disappeared, leaving his footprints in the road's flagstone as a sign (there's a cast of them inside the church).

A chastened Peter realized that Christ meant he was going to take the place of the weak-willed first pope and die, once again, for his faith. Peter turned around and returned to Rome to take his martyrdom like a man.

(In fact, when it came to the moment, Peter gritted his teeth and told his executioners he was unworthy of being crucified in the same manner as his Lord and, in effect, asked them to "Do me upside down." This is why there are still a few St. Peter-related holy sites around Rome sporting upside-down crosses—so no, they're not for Satan-worshippers.)

- See more at: http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/lazio/rome/sights/quo_vadis.html#.dpuf

ETA : whenever I read about St Peter it makes me happy. He shows us that we are all so flawed & yet we can still be forgiven by God & risen so high by Him. It gives me so much hope.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
My parents took my wife and I to Rome last November. Spent 11 days over there, only two outside of Rome (Assisi, Florence).

I could go back and probably spend another week just at St Peter's. We got lucky once, and timed it properly another time, to attend Mass at St. Peter's. It was in the chapel at the back with the Chair of Peter behind the altar; I'm sure you got a picture of it. Wednesday audience, Angelus on Sunday, all of the other major churches around town...lots to do without even touching on the secular history of the city.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

History of Quo Vadis

Along the Via Appia Antica, famous for its Christian catacombs, is the legendary site where the soon-to-be-Saint Peter, scurrying away from the Christian persecutions in Rome, met a vision of Christ blocking the road.
The church built beside that site is called Domine, Quo Vadis—an odd name for a church, until you hear the parable behind it.
The vision of Christ replied, "To Rome, to be crucified a second time," whereupon Jesus disappeared, leaving his footprints in the road's flagstone as a sign (there's a cast of them inside the church).

A chastened Peter realized that Christ meant he was going to take the place of the weak-willed first pope and die, once again, for his faith. Peter turned around and returned to Rome to take his martyrdom like a man.

(In fact, when it came to the moment, Peter gritted his teeth and told his executioners he was unworthy of being crucified in the same manner as his Lord and, in effect, asked them to "Do me upside down." This is why there are still a few St. Peter-related holy sites around Rome sporting upside-down crosses—so no, they're not for Satan-worshippers.)

- See more at: http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/lazio/rome/sights/quo_vadis.html#.dpuf

ETA : whenever I read about St Peter it makes me happy. He shows us that we are all so flawed & yet we can still be forgiven by God & risen so high by Him. It gives me so much hope.
View Quote

Now I'm sorry we missed that. I knew the story, but didn't know about the church.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
On neat thing about wandering around Rome is that there is always an interesting church to pop in to for a little bit.  We walked by this church and decided to go in.  This one is called Santa Maria in Campitelli (a.k.a. Santa Maria in Portico).  

When we walked in I was awestruck by the sanctuary.  It's like a baroque explosion!  Wow!

At the center of the baroque explosion is a small icon of Our Lady.  Apparently after a procession with the icon, the city was saved from the Plague in 1656.  Because of this, Pope Alexander VII had this church built in place of an older one to enshrine the icon.

After wandering around for a bit, I found this guy:

This is St. John Leonardi.  He was a pharmacists assistant who became a priest and devoted himself to working in hospitals and prisons.  He founded an order of priests called the Clerks Regular of the Mother of God in 1583.  While ministering to the sick, he contracted the plague and died in 1609.

This is Luca Giordano's Saints Anne, Joseph, and Mary.  There are so many paintings of the same quality all over this church and others in Italy.

More to come...
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
One church that I didn't want to miss was St. John Lateran.  Many people don't realize that St. John Lateran is the Pope's main Church as Bishop of Rome, he just spends most of his time in St. Peter's.  

Before we even made it in the church I got stuck on the "porch."  Above was a beautiful ceiling.  

Below was a lovely marble inlay of a papal crest.  I don't know why but I couldn't take my eyes off of it.  All the colors just worked together and lit up when the sun hit it.

The jewels in the tiara really "popped."

But when I stepped inside...wow!

Above the main altar is what looks like a fancy jail cell.  Inside are the heads of the apostles Peter and Paul!

Also nearby were the Holy Stairs.  According to Wikipedia:  

The Scala Sancta, or Holy Stairs, are white marble steps encased in wooden ones. According to Catholic Tradition, they form the staircase which once led to the praetorium of Pontius Pilate in Jerusalem and which, therefore, were sanctified by the footsteps of Jesus Christ during His Passion. The marble stairs are visible through openings in the wooden risers. Their translation from Jerusalem to the Lateran Palace in the 4th century is credited to St. Empress Helena, the mother of the then-Emperor Constantine I.
View Quote

It didn't feel right to snap a picture so here's one from wiki:

My wife and I decided to climb the stairs.  The monk in charge promptly kicked us out because my wife's dress was about an inch too short.  Oh well, at least we made it up one step.    You could touch the actual stairs through holes in the wooden ones which was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My wife and I decided to climb the stairs.  The monk in charge promptly kicked us out because my wife's dress was about an inch too short.  Oh well, at least we made it up one step.    You could touch the actual stairs through holes in the wooden ones which was pretty cool.
View Quote

Pics of wife's skirt?  - Just kidding.

Awesome pictures.  I lived about 90 minutes south of Rome for two years and made a handful of trips there, including multiple visits to St. Peters.  Also fortunate enough to get a visit to Bethlehem and Jerusalem while I was overseas.  Amazing places that really connect you to the past.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
As the end to our time in Rome was drawing near, it was time for the big one.  

Several months before the trip, I booked tickets for the "Scavi tour" under St. Peter's. They only allow 100 or so people a day in to the excavations so booking well in advance is a must.

Tradition has always held that the apostle Peter was buried under the altar of St. Peter's Basilica. During some renovations in the 1920s, they started finding cool stuff. The site of St. Peter's was originally a Roman Circus (chariot track) and a Necropolis (cemetery) sprouted up next to it. Tradition holds that St. Peter was executed in that Circus and then buried on the hill next door (the necropolis).  They decided to carefully excavate everything that had been filled in for the construction of the basilica. They found wonderfully intact Roman mausoleums, some of them belonged to early Christians.  

The tour was really awesome, one of the high points of our trip.  I highly recommend it if you will be in Rome.  After the tour and doing some additional research, I'm pretty well convinced that the tomb and bones are genuine.

Photography wasn't allowed on the tour, but I found a few internet pics.  If you're interested in seeing more, I highly recommend the virtual tour on the Vatican's website:

http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/necropoli/scavi_english.html

Here is the layout of the Roman Circus, old St. Peter's and the present Basilica:

An interesting fact is that the Egyptian obelisk in the middle of St. Peter's square was originally in the center of the Circus.

Peter was just put in the ground originally, but then a few years later they built a small monument around his grave.  

This is referred to as the "Gaius Trophy" because it was mentioned by a priest named Gaius in 120 AD.

And I can show the trophies of the apostles. For if you choose to go to the Vatican or to the Ostian Road, you will find the trophies of those who founded this church.
View Quote

The Ostian Road seems to be referring to the relics of St. Paul, which now has St. Paul Outside the Walls built around it.  Sadly, we arrived at St. Paul's just as they were locking up for the day and didn't get to see it.  

Eventually Old St. Peter's was built on top of the Gaius Trophy (which was encased in a large marble box).  The popes began celebrating mass on that large marble box as well.

The tour started down a road in the Necropolis.  Roman families built their mausoleums in part for social status.

It's an underground city today.  Pretty incredible.

There were several mausoleums that were fully excavated.

Eventually our tour, and the archeologists, reached a very special tomb.  

As we approached, you could see the red wall (see the picture of the Gaius Trophy above)

A little further, you can see one of the columns from the Gaius Trophy!

Finally, we arrived at the prize.  The Tomb of St. Peter the Apostle.

This wall with all the writing on it is called the "graffiti wall."  There are many christian writings on there.  

Note the Chi-Rho.

The fragment was found nearby that said "Peter is Here."

Inside the hole in the graffiti wall are the bone fragments in little plexiglass containers.  They were found wrapped in a costly cloth.

It really blew my mind to peek in that little hole and see the bones.  

On the other side of the tomb, a chapel was built.

Here is a diagram to help show where everything is located:

On the main floor, there is a lowered area in front of the main altar called the confessio.  Underneath the main altar and behind the icon of Christ is the tomb.

We exited into the Grotto where Popes and monarchs rest.  Of note down there was JP1 and Bl. Paul VI.

I didn't see any saints but there were sarcophagi of many popes that could be touched, so I whacked them with my rosary so that if they ever are declared saints, it would be a 3rd class relic.  I whacked a lot of things with my rosary on this trip.  

Then, it was upstairs to the basilica...
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Awesome pictures.  I lived about 90 minutes south of Rome for two years and made a handful of trips there, including multiple visits to St. Peters.  Also fortunate enough to get a visit to Bethlehem and Jerusalem while I was overseas.  Amazing places that really connect you to the past.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Her dress was modest by American standards.    She was mortified but I thought it was kind of funny.

How did you like living in Italy?  Were you in Naples?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Now I'm sorry we missed that. I knew the story, but didn't know about the church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

History of Quo Vadis

We missed it too.  No idea it existed until now.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Her dress was modest by American standards.    She was mortified but I thought it was kind of funny.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Itri actually.  Worked in Gaeta.  I loved it.  Almost no English speakers in my town. I lived inside the old city walls - it was amazing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#14]
A couple of things you mentioned:

1. You saw the Grotto and the Scavi tour...did you climb to the top of the dome? Man...that was awesome. The height of that place is deceiving. Story has it that the carved text inside the basilica is carved at different heights to appear the same size throughout the building. For example, text that is 16 off the floor is carved some height 'x', text 20 feet up is 1.2x, and on and on. I don't know the real factors and sizes, but the fact that they made it happen in the 16th century is pretty impressive.

2. Did they still have JPII out on the basilica floor? He was there when, I believe next to the Pieta  in November. John XXIII was on the floor as well as a couple of others - maybe Gregory and Pius, but the numbers elude me.

3. St. Paul's is neat and big and pretty, but to me it loses a little because it was built pretty recently as these things go. Fires happen and all, but that church was probably the least...moving(?)..to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
St. Peter's Basilica doesn't need much of an introduction.  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.  I was blown away when I stepped in there the first time.  

If you look between the two center columns of Bernini's canopy in the above picture, you can see a small withe marble column up on the balcony.  These were originally in Old St. Peter's and got recycled.  It was said they came from Solomon's Temple but it is more likely they were greek in origin and were just in that style.  It's interesting to see how Bernini's columns were inspired by the old ones.

They did amazing things with the natural light when they designed this building!

Remember the confessio?  This sign was in front of it explaining the tomb.

There was a mass starting about 10 minutes after we got done with our tour that we were able to make.  Being at St. Peter's tomb just minutes before gave really changed my perception of that mass.  

I kissed the feet of St. Peter.

Yeah, there were germs, but I didn't get sick so it was worth it.  

Everyone was crowded around to get a look at the Pieta.

We read on a sign near the pieta that to the right was the Holy Door that pilgrims venerate.  I looked at my wife and said "I'm not sure what that is but let's go venerate it."  It was just to the right of the pieta and no one was paying attention to it.  We went up to it, touched the cross and looked up at it reverently.  As we walked away many folks in the pieta horde took notice and they all started taking pictures of it.  We were cracking up as we walked away.  

I didn't get a pic but it's this:

When we were in the Grotto, I kept looking for JPII because I was certain he was there.  I asked one of the ushers and they directed me to his tomb on the main floor.  This was pretty popular with the pilgrims, lots of folks praying there.  We joined in for a bit.

Also on the main floor of the basilica were the holy relics of St. Pius X and St. John XXIII.  I'm a bit of a Pius X fan so it was really cool to see his relics and pray before them.  I was pretty disgusted to see people selfie-ing with Ss. Pius X and John XXIII. I really wish the Vatican would ban selfie sticks.  I couldn't bring myself to take any pictures of them after that, so here are some from the net:

Pius

John

There was so much more but I did a lot more looking than taking pictures.  Truly a feast for the eyes!

Also, they have stores like this in Rome.  It makes perfect sense, but it's still pretty cool and unusual to see for this American.

We hadn't even scratched the surface of Rome and it was time to move on to Naples...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting all of this, OP!  
View Quote

Glad I can share!  I'll get the rest posted up soon.  It's been a busy week.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
In Naples, we visited their Cathedral or "Duomo."  As you may know, this church is known for housing the relics of St. Januarius, a 4th century martyr and patron of Naples, including a container of his blood.  This blood (usually) liquifies three times a year in front of the crowds who come to watch it.  

They had this cool room jam packed full of relics.

If you squint you an see several skulls on this bottom shelf.

There was a crypt and this guy was down there forever praying.

I really loved this sculpture.  What a better way to be remembered rather than "look at me I can afford a ruff" you see a lot from that era.  

Wish I knew who these bones belonged to:

I couldn't find the theca of St. Januarius' blood.  I did find this explaining it:

I'm pretty sure it is in the chapel of St. Januarius.  It was a beautiful chapel but I didn't take pictures for some reason (no photography?  mass going on?  adoration?  I can't remember).  

Here is an internet photo of what the chapel looks like complete with golden bust of St. Januarius.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Milsurp, thanks again for posting your pictures and information.  My wife and I are going to start planning a trip to Italy in the near future.  I had a knee replaced in June and will possibly have the other one done too so I have to be healed and ready for a lot of walking before we actually set a date.

Did you just fly to Italy and tour on your own or did you go with a tour group?  I am leaning toward a tour because I don't want to be showing up to see something and it is closed or unavailable.  I would also consider going with a Church group or Church sponsored trip because it seems like those trips can get you into things that isn't generally available to the public.

My mother went with a Church group and really had a great time.  They held Mass just for their group in many interesting places.  The trip was arranged by a priest who did these trips every other year, but now he is retired and not in good health.

I don't know what the best tours are or if there are smaller private tours available.  We are prepared to spend a good amount as this would be a very special trip.
View Quote

We just flew in to Italy and wandered around on our own.    It was fun, but I would probably try going with a pilgrimage group if there is a next time.  The groups book tickets for a lot of things ahead of time so you can skip the line.  We learned this the hard way when we got to the vatican museum an hour before they even opened and there was already an unbelievable line.    It would also be nice to have an english speaking guide.  A lot of the things we saw were situations of "that's really cool, I don't know what it is, but it's cool."  Many of these sites don't have much information posted about them and if they do it's often not in english.  Also hearing mass in italian got old, it would be nice to have a familiar priest saying mass at all the holy sites.  

I'll try to post more pics today.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#21]
We stopped at a church in Naples called San Lorenzo Maggiore.  Franciscans started a church here while St. Francis was still alive.  The powers at the time went eminent domain on that one and compensated them with this church.  This 13th century church is medieval through and through.  The difference in styling was very noticeable compared to the renaissance churches that we had seen.

What struck me most about this one was the tombs.

There were a bunch of guys like this in the floor.  I felt bad because I kept tripping over their faces.

The "draw me like one of your french girls" pose seemed to be popular back then.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#22]
The last interesting stop in Naples was the little chapel of Sansevero.  The chapel is now a museum and the main draw is the marble sculpture of the Veiled Christ

Photography wasn't allowed, but this short video has good images of the chapel.  The Veiled Christ was incredible.  It's hard to understand how someone could sculpt a transparent veil, but there it is.  Also of note is the statue of St. Peter. His net is completely carved out of marble.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#23]
After Naples, since we had rented a car, we decided to take the long way up to florence.  We drove east to the other coast of Italy to a little town called Lanciano.

We parked the car and could tell we were close.

When you walk in to the little church of San Francesco, there is a screen hanging in front of the high altar.  When you approach it and peek around the screen, you see this in the center of the altar:

This is the Miracle of Lanciano!  Here is a good description of it:

One day, a certain monk was offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Although we do not know his identity, an ancient document described him as ...versed in the sciences of the world but ignorant in that of God. Apparently, he had been plagued by doubts about transubstantiation: he agonized over whether the bread and wine changed substantially into the Body and Blood of our Lord at the words of consecration, and whether our Lord was truly present in the Holy Eucharist.

This time, when the monk pronounced the words of consecration, the host was miraculously changed into flesh and the wine into blood. The monk was awestruck. Weeping joyously, he regained his composure. He called the congregation around the altar and said, O fortunate witnesses, to whom the Blessed God, to confound my unbelief, has wished to reveal Himself visible to our eyes! Come, brethren, and marvel at our God, so close to us. Behold the Flesh and Blood of our Most Beloved Christ. Those who witnessed the miracle soon spread the news throughout the surrounding area.

Shortly after the occurrence, the Blood coagulated into five globules of different sizes, but the Flesh remained the same. The archbishop ordered an investigation. The testimony of witnesses was recorded. The Flesh and Blood appeared to be human flesh and blood. The archbishop sent a scale for the weighing of the globules: each individual globule weighed the same as the other individual ones (although different in size) or as all five together or as any other combination. Eventually, the Flesh and the globules of Blood were placed in a special ivory reliquary, but not hermetically sealed. Church authorities certified the miracle although the original document was lost some time in the 16th century.

Over the centuries, different religious orders have had custody of the Church and the relics: originally the Basilians until 1176, followed by the Benedictines until 1252, and since then by the Franciscans. In 1258, the Franciscans built a new Church under the patronage of St. Francis of Assisi to replace the decaying Church of St. Longinus. The relics to this day remain at this basilica under the care of the Franciscans.

Since the first basic investigation, the Church has permitted other studies on the relics. In 1574, Msgr. Rodrigues once again weighed the five globules in the presence of witnesses and arrived at the same conclusion. Remember though that eight centuries had passed and no visible sign of deterioration had taken place.

In 1713, the original ivory reliquary was replaced by one of silver and crystal. The Flesh is displayed in a monstrance just like the Sacred Host, and the globules of Blood are in a crystal chalice, which some believe is the actual chalice used by the monk for Mass.

The most thorough study occurred in 1970-71. Pope Paul VI permitted a series of scientific studies on the precious relics to verify their nature. Dr. Odoardo Linoli, professor of anatomy and pathological histology, chemistry and clinical microscopy, and head physician of the hospital of Arezzo, conducted the study. He was assisted by Dr. Ruggero Bertelli, professor emeritus of human anatomy at the University of Siena. The analyses were performed in accord with scientific standards and documented, and Dr. Bertelli independently corroborated Dr. Linolis findings. In 1981, using more advanced medical technology, Dr. Linoli conducted a second histological study; he not only confirmed the findings but also gathered new information.

The major findings from this research include the following: The Flesh, yellow-brown in color, has the structure of the myocardium (heart wall) and the endocardium, the membrane of fibrous-elastic tissue lining all the cardiac cavities. These have the same appearance as in the human heart. No traces of preservatives were found in the elements.

The blood was also of human origin with the type AB. Proteins in the clotted Blood were normally fractioned with the same percentage ratio as those found in the sero-proteic make-up of normal, fresh human blood. The blood contained these minerals: chlorides, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, sodium, and calcium.

Professor Linoli asserted that the blood, if taken from a cadaver, would have deteriorated rapidly. Given that these samples were centuries old, free of preservatives, and never hermetically sealed in the reliquaries, they should have deteriorated. However, he underscored that the samples had the same properties as fresh human blood and flesh.

Moreover, the doctors both concluded that only the skill of a trained pathologist could have obtained such a sample, a tangential cut of the heart a round cut, thick on the outer edges and lessening gradually and uniformly to the central area.

The beauty of the miracle of Lanciano reflects the words our Lord spoke, I am the Bread of Life. He who feeds on my Flesh and drinks my Blood has life eternal and I will raise him up on the last day. For my Flesh is real food and my Blood real drink. The man who feeds on my Flesh and drinks my Blood remains in Me, and I in him (Jn 6:35, 54-56). We must, therefore, never forget that when we participate at Mass, we witness a miracle, and through the reception of Holy Communion we share in the divine life of our Savior.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-miracle-of-lanciano.html

View Quote

There were just a few people in the church praying.  You could go right up to the reliquary.  This was pretty awesome!

In the basement they have a little museum with information about the miracle and the scientific testing that was done in the 70s.

The host/flesh is mostly intact except for the center.  Not bad for over 1000 years!

Aren't glass chalices prohibited for the Precious Blood?  Someone should write the bishop!  

The flesh was determined to be heart tissue.

They show other Eucharistic miracles in italy.

When I was investigating Catholicism and the history of Christianity, learning about Lanciano gave me a nudge towards believing in the Real Presence.  I wanted to commemorate this visit by getting something meaningful at the gift shop. I ended up with a refrigerator magnet.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for posting all these great pics Milsurp.

I had never heard of the veiled Christ or the statue of St. Peter in the net. They are magnificent!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you so much for this thread. It amazes me that, even in light of these miracles / signs, people still don't believe  in transubstantiation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#27]
This is a really cool thread. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for posting this stuff. I'm not a Catholic, but the churches and art within them from the Renaissance and earlier are fascinating to me. The obvious amount of work and care taken by the artisans is quite inspiring.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Best thread ever!  Excellent stuff.  Stories from trips like this are a great way to pass on the Faith to the young ones.  I'll get there one day.

Adoremus in Aeternum
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#30]
At the last minute before we left for our "long way to Florence" day, I looked up to see if Loreto was by chance on our way, and it was!  

This little church in Loreto contains what is believed to be the Holy House, or the house that Jesus grew up in. How did an ancient house from the Holy Land end up in Italy?  Well the story goes that some Angels picked it up and brought it over to Italy.

A more recent theory is that these Angels might have actually been crusaders who wanted to preserve a small building that was said to be the childhood home of Christ by local tradition and brought it over brick by brick.  Either way, the Holy House is a fascinating site to behold.

There was no photography allowed so I grabbed some pics from the net.

The house is encased in an ornate, house-sized reliquary.

The inside is other worldly.

Simple, ancient looking bricks and a few beams make the walls. They are covered with some fading medieval frescoes.  Being inside the house gave me an eerie feeling. An altar had been constructed at the front of the house and in the center a black figure of Madonna and Child. Inside the altar is a simple stone altar known as the altar of the apostles and "came with the house."  It is believed the apostles celebrated mass at that altar with the Blessed Mother after Jesus' ascension.  

I touched the walls, blackened by centuries of incense and candles, and wondered if these were really the same walls that the Lord might have touched as he grew up. No doubt many pilgrims and saints had passed through and touched the same walls and wondered the same thing.

After we got home I found a documentary on the Holy House on Amazon Prime Instant.  Some interesting things I learned from that, the house appeared overnight in the middle of a road in Loreto.  Mary's Grotto in Nazareth has an empty spot that is a match for this house.  The stones are of Palestinian origin.  There's some more stuff.  Check this out if you have Prime, it's less than an hour long.

This was definitely a worthy stop!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top