User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 1:40:33 AM EDT

Archdiocese of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania

Office of the Bishop

June 27, 2015

St. Sampson the Hospitable of Constantinople, St. Joanna the Myrrhbearer

Reg. 15-102

To the Clergy and Faithful of the Diocese of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania:

It is by now common knowledge that the Supreme Court of the United States rendered a decision on Friday, June 26, which declared that marriage between members of the same sex is a constitutional right. This ruling effectively overturned laws in several states which declared such unions to be illegal, and ruled that such unions can be legally performed in all states.

While this ruling marks a significant change in the way that homosexuality is regarded according to the civil statutes, it in no way affects the teaching and practice of the Orthodox Christian Church either in this country or anywhere else in the world. In the interests of clarity, it should be understood that Orthodox Parish Churches are not "Wedding Chapels". Our Churches do not function as places where the sacrament of Holy Matrimony is offered to the public at large on a non-sectarian basis for a fee. Nobody can be married in an Orthodox Church who is not a member in good standing. The qualifications to be a "Member in good standing" have not changed. A member in good standing must be someone who has been properly received into the Church, a faithful believer in the teachings of the Church, a regular participant in the sacraments of Confession and Communion, and gives regular financial and material support to the parish. Persons who do not meet these criteria do not have a blessing to be married in the Church, and no clergy have a blessing to ignore or in any way set aside these criteria.

The Church, following the direct teaching of Jesus Christ, " ... He which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (Matthew 19:4-6)", allows for no other form of marriage. Thus anyone who contracts or who has, in the past, contracted such a relationship and does not repent of that relationship, in addition to those who live together in a conjugal relationship without being married are not to be communed.

I encourage our clergy and faithful to refresh their knowledge of Church teaching on these matters by reading the Synodal Affirmation on the Mystery of Marriage

http://oca.org/…/synodal-affirmation-of-the-mystery-of-marr… ,

and the Statement of the Assembly of Bishops of the United States

Any further questions may be addressed through my office

Sincerely in Christ

+ Melchisedek

Archbishop of Pittsburgh

and Western Pennsylvania"

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Kodiak has a large  Orthodox community. Ive been wondering if the church would buck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Good man.

Too bad few are left in Washington.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the statement from the ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia) website:

June 26, 2015
Statement by the Chancery of the Diocese of Chicago and Mid-America on the Issue of Homosexual Marriage to the Clergy and Flock of the Diocese

Statement from the Diocesan Chancery on the Contemporary Question
of Homosexual Marriage to the Clergy and Flock of the Diocese

March 16/29, 2013 Martyrs Sabinus and Papas

Updated November 8/21, 2014 Archangel Michael and All the Bodiless Powers

Updated June 13/26, 2015 Martyr Aquilina of Byblos in Syria

Today the United States Supreme Court ruled that homosexual marriage is a constitutional right in the United States of America. Given the ubiquitous coverage the news media is providing on this issue it is important that our clergymen and parishioners fully understand the position of the Church in this regard.

Living in a free society as we do, we should first be thankful that we have the opportunity to practice our Orthodox Faith without inordinate interference from the government. In recent history this was not the case in Russia, and is still not the case in many countries throughout the world. In a free society all views can be shared in the public arena - both views we agree with as Orthodox Christians and those we disagree with. We call upon our flock to be guided first and foremost by the Holy Tradition of the Church in discerning whether any contemporary question is something that is compatible to the Orthodox faith. If an Orthodox Christian chooses to engage in public political discourse this should be done with moderation and with a firm intention and watchfulness not to fall into extremism. Extremism is not conducive to softening hearts or bringing others to the faith. Laymen who choose to engage in political speech should not state that they speak on behalf of the Church. Strictly speaking such an authoritative statement can be made only by a bishop or with a bishop's specific blessing.

It should also be made clear that living a homosexual or any other sinful lifestyle is not compatible with Christianity and this has always been the teaching of the Church. That being stated, it is also crucial to state that the Church is a Spiritual Hospital and all those wishing to receive the healing freely offered by God through their repentance and God's Grace are fully welcome. This includes those who have participated in immoral or unnatural acts of any kind as well as those who are tempted by such sins. The Church is empathetic to those who suffer in such a way and offers them support, healing, and Christian love. Those actively engaging in any immoral or unnatural pursuits cannot live a full sacramental life within the Church. However, this does not mean that we seek to drive away or ostracize those who have transgressed in such a way. Rather, we must make all efforts to draw those in such an unfortunate situation back to chastity and the opportunity to again partake in the Life-Giving Mysteries of the Church and to engage the struggle for their salvation within the parish community.

Today's Supreme Court ruling makes homosexual marriage legal in the United States. It should be made clear that under no circumstances will the Church recognize homosexual marriage, accord it the status of traditional marriage, or bless such unions. However, this is not to state that those who have entered into such a union have stepped beyond a line from which they cannot return. The Church has always strongly condemned heresies (such as Novatianism, Montanism, and Donatism) which deny the possibility of repentance for those having committed certain sins. It is crucial that our clergymen not shy away from the position of the Church as regards the sinfulness of homosexuality and other unnatural expressions of the God-given gift of human sexuality - but it is also crucial that such statements be made with love and with a corresponding invitation to repentance and reconciliation with the Church.

We call upon all to pray for our land - that the Lord will forgive us our collective societal sins as well as our personal sins and provide us a safe haven which allows us to work out our salvation in peace.

http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2015/20150626_enchicagosamesex.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm also in the OCA (Diocese of Chicago and the Midwest) and this is our Bishop Paul's statement:

http://domoca.org/news_150626_1.html

Bishop Paul responds to US Supreme Court decision

CHICAGO, IL [MW Diocese Communications] — His Grace, Bishop Paul, issued the following statement, dated June 26, 2015, in response to the US Supreme Court’s decision with regard to same-sex marriage.

The statement is available in PDF format here.

The text reads as follows.

“As many of you are aware, on Friday, June 26, 2015, the Supreme Court of the United States of America, issued a 5-4 decision to overturn all bans of same-sex marriage by states and affirmed this union as being a constitutional right.  In effect, the court has ruled that same-sex marriages can be legally performed by all states in our country.

“As your bishop — and from the perspective of the Church — nothing has changed.  Even though same-sex marriage is ‘legal,’ no blessings will be given to any priests to conduct same sex-marriages in our parishes.  Those who are in same-sex marriages conducted by their respective states, who are unrepentant, will not be communed.

“I would encourage our clergy and faithful to re-read the ‘Synodal Affirmation on the Mystery of Marriage,’ issued by the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America exactly two years ago, on June 26, 2013.  Likewise, I would urge our clergy and faithful to re-read the 2013 Statement from the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the USA, ‘On Marriage.’

“There is much more I would like to say on this issue, but it seemed good to at least release this brief statement at this time.  Meanwhile, I urge our Midwest Diocesan clergy to read and/or distribute the Synodal Affirmation and Assembly Statement in their parishes.”
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
AMEN and ALLELUIA!

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The Episcopals have a different opinion

Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde released this statement in the wake of the Supreme Court’s ruling yesterday in the case of Obergefell v. Hodges, which made same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states:

My joy at the Supreme Court’s ruling that marriage equality is now the law of the land is tempered by the memory of all those who did not live to see this day. As Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote, "No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family." I give thanks to God for the gay and lesbian couples whose embodiment of those ideals-- in the face of prejudice, discrimination and violence, often justified in the name of God--has been an inspiration to us all. We have also struggled long and hard in the church for marriage equality, and full recognition of our LBGT members. I give thanks for those who stayed true to the struggle for justice in church and society when this day seemed a far off dream. May this ruling encourage us to stay the course for justice in other realms where our efforts are still urgently needed.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde released this statement in the wake of the Supreme Court’s ruling yesterday in the case of Obergefell v. Hodges, which made same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states:

My joy at the Supreme Court’s ruling that marriage equality is now the law of the land is tempered by the memory of all those who did not live to see this day. As Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote, "No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family." I give thanks to God for the gay and lesbian couples whose embodiment of those ideals-- in the face of prejudice, discrimination and violence, often justified in the name of God--has been an inspiration to us all. We have also struggled long and hard in the church for marriage equality, and full recognition of our LBGT members. I give thanks for those who stayed true to the struggle for justice in church and society when this day seemed a far off dream. May this ruling encourage us to stay the course for justice in other realms where our efforts are still urgently needed.

I grew up in the episcopal church.  Left in HS.  I will stand firm in saying that that church does not teach the word of God and is apostate in many ways.  I know of some members who go as far as not believing in the virgin birth.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Our pastor wrote a letter that was read at the end of Mass yesterday, along the same lines as the OP's post.

I would imagine our bishop is working on something for the diocese but couldn't get it together for Saturday/Sunday and allowed each pastor to speak specifically to the subject.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Evidently, at a NYC gay pride parade yesterday (where two men spat on a Catholic priest), the Episcopal Church sponsored a float with "a dancing man or woman (not sure) with short skirt and g-string". According to the Priest that was spat on.

So, yeah.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top