Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2015 10:37:18 AM EDT
Barring anything unforeseen, I will be ordained on Saturday as a Permanent Deacon of the Roman Catholic Church.  The last few years of study and formation have meant that I haven't been able to participate as often here as I'd like; and it looks like my assignment will similarly keep my screen time down.

But I wanted to drop in and thank the ARFCOM folks who have contributed to the discussions here, for they have been quite interesting and been a source of useful information in  my studies.

One item on ARFCOM that I actually used in a homiletics assignment was a Fail pic of a guy holding a sniper rifle like a bow and sighting it out a window while pulling back mightily on the shoulder strap.  The title was "Marine Sniper You're Doing It Wrong."  I've searched for the pic to show it to my classmates, but I haven't been able to find it again.  I used it as an attention-getter to lead into a discussion of how the Scribes and Pharisees were "doing it wrong" when it came to Jesus' message of salvation.

If anyone can post it, I'd appreciate it.

In the meantime, I'll hold all of ARFCOM in my prayers as I begin my ministerial assignment down here in the Bayou State.

God Bless!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Huge commitment. Kudos! I wish you a lifetime of fulfillment in the deaconite.

Question: During your formation, was there a huge emphasis with social justice/leftward agenda or was it more academic/spiritual? Just curious.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Overall, it was a very balanced approach to formation.  The Social Justice course was a one semester course led by a deacon who had been Clerk of the State Supreme Court.  He led the class like a law professor - right out of "The Paper Chase."  

It should be noted that a deacon is supposed to be conforming himself to Christ the servant; but this does not mean adopting the most left-leaning ideas.  It means learning to make ones self radically available to those who need us most.  In many cases, that will be the poor and down-trodden; in others it is those who are sick or in prison (I spent 6 months as a chaplain at one here).  Sometimes it is the to the wealthy who become disillusioned by worldly things and don't know where to turn.  Just as Christ welcomed all sinners, we are expected to minister to them all, for they are part of the flock that the Lord was sent to rescue.

When I entered formation, I purposely disclosed my CCW, looking to see what would happen.  Nothing did.  There is  still a prohibition against carrying in Church, but there is none against carrying - even after ordination.  The Catechism of the Catholic Church permits armed self-defense and the defense of others, but it is up to the properly formed conscience of the individual whether or not to exercise that right.

I hope that answers your question.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, since you're not Southern Baptist...

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
This one??

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
XD-GEM

WE REJOICE TODAY FOR YOU!

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow that's awesome, congrats!  Now go preach some fiery homilies!  
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations! What an honor & privilege!

God Bless you & I will keep you in my prayers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Well, that's the image, yes!  But the one I saw had been made into one of those "demotivational" graphics with the title "Marine Sniper - You're Doing It Wrong."  

This will certainly do for me to show the class that I wasn't just making it up!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations and you will always have my prayers for your ministry!.

AF
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
OP that is awesome!

Thank you for your depth of knowledge and commitment and congratulations to you and...come to think of it, because of your work, to us all in the Church who now have the blessing of your service.

That means;  THANK YOU!!!

And may God bless you richly in ministry!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
It will be live-streamed at http://www.archdiocese-no.org beginning with a panel discussion at 9:30 am CDT, followed by the Mass and ceremony at 10, Saturday, June 27.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations! As the Orthodox say, May God grant you many years!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Congratulations - you have put a serious amount of effort in this so far.  Prayers sent for the rest of your service.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Happy Ordination Day XD-GEM!!!!!  Praying for you today!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to all of you.  Now the REAL work begins.

Peace!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top