Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2015 1:26:07 AM EDT
The last few weeks of Gospel readings lead me to ask one question - why was Jesus so hard to recognize?

Judas betrays him by kissing him - otherwise, apparently, no one would've known which guy was Jesus.  And then on the road after the tomb is opened, the two travelers don't recognize Jesus.  Mary doesn't recognize him in the garden.  Peter is recognized by a servant girl, but if Judas hadn't betrayed Jesus, perhaps Peter would've been standing trial.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm 5'11", 200lbs, bald, brown eyes...pick me out of a crowd
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Well seeing as how this all happened before cameras and the Internet, is this really surprising to you?

Up until after Truman most of the US probably couldn't pick the POTUS out of a lineup.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
No photos, no ID. No SS  number.  Just word of mouth.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 5'11", 200lbs, bald, brown eyes...pick me out of a crowd
View Quote

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your mother could. Your coworkers probably would as well. Nobody ever recognized him again. Add to that, he is passing through walls and teleporting (for lack of a better term).  He also warns Mary? not to touch him. My personal opinion is that he was not resurrected bodily. The body, the lamb, was incinerated in the tomb, in perfect accord with the instruction for Passover.  His manifestation post Bikuwrym was certainly something different.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Because the Romans beat and whipped him to a pulp, per Isaiah 52:14.

Not to mention they doubted Him when He told them He'd rise again.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well seeing as how this all happened before cameras and the Internet, is this really surprising to you?

Up until after Truman most of the US probably couldn't pick the POTUS out of a lineup.
View Quote

I'd say this...
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The last few weeks of Gospel readings lead me to ask one question - why was Jesus so hard to recognize?

Judas betrays him by kissing him - otherwise, apparently, no one would've known which guy was Jesus. - those that came to arrest him would not have necessarily known what exactly he looked like. You are also talking about a time, place, and culture that is very different from our own. Almost everyone had beards, similar hair color, and all likely had similar clothing. Being stylish wasn't something that the poor were involved with much in those days.

And then on the road after the tomb is opened, the two travelers don't recognize Jesus.  Mary doesn't recognize him in the garden.  - I mentioned in another thread that the disciples were the first unbelievers in the resurrection. Jesus had to prove to them that he was not a spirit, but actually physically there in front of them and risen from the dead.

Perhaps what is equally important to the difficulty in recognizing him physically, was recognizing him theologically. The Jews of the day were expecting the messiah to be an earthly King that would be a conquerer who would bring justice and rid the world of wickedness, similar to how we expect His second coming to be sans the "earthly" part. After his resurrection, the disciples were likely so depressed and upset over his death, I'm sure they were even doubting all that they had been taught. His resurrection and ascension were the final lessons to them about the implications of it all. In their emotional state, they were not expecting to see him again.

It is also highly plausible that the answer is as simple as he was wearing a head covering during these encounters.

Peter is recognized by a servant girl, but if Judas hadn't betrayed Jesus, perhaps Peter would've been standing trial. - good thing it didn't work out that way. Peter's atonement probably wouldn't have been good enough.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's this for the authorities.

Plus, while he told his Apostles and friends he'd rise did they really fully believe and internalize it?  I mean, only a few days earlier they'd seen the guy who they considered their salvation die. They saw it all happen. When they see a guy who really really looks like him, their logical brain would probably still be saying, "Nah, can't be him. He died. We saw it."

Honestly, I'd say watching it happen before you would probably make it way harder to believe than it is for us.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Jesus appeared in his Glorified body.

In almost all the accounts of Jesus appearing after His Resurrection even those closest to Jesus didn't recognize who he was until He spoke.

Further they recognized Him in sharing the bread and wine.

Remember the transfiguration when Jame and John were with Jesus. The description of his appearance there is similar to the walk to Emmaus .

It as though things didn't come into focus until all the parts were realized.

Our humanity makes seeing God so difficult. We struggle with it even today.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
This may be more of a spiritual problem than a physical one.

Blessed are the Pure in heart for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8

I did a study on  the God that  hides and came up with these.   Once you know he hides it is easier to tell an unbeliever why he cant see God.   See Romans 1 19-22 and the Invisible attributes.

Ultimately we are told to Seek Him with all our heart.

Luke 19:42  “If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But now they have been hidden from your eyes.”

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants.”

Isaiah 45:15 Truly, You are a God who hides Himself, O God of Israel, Savior!

Lamentations 3:44 You have covered Yourself with a cloud So that no prayer can pass through.

Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, And your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear.

Deuteronomy 32:20 “Then He said, ‘I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end shall be; For they are a perverse generation, Sons in whom is no faithfulness.

Deuteronomy 31:18 But I will surely hide My face in that day because of all the evil which they will do, for they will turn to other gods.

Isaiah 1:15 “So when you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide My eyes from you; Yes, even though you multiply prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are covered with blood.

Psalm 44:24 Why do You hide Your face And forget our affliction and our oppression.

Psalm 10:1 Why do You stand afar off, O Lord? Why do You hide Yourself in times of trouble?

Now, tell me why it was a women to see him first after the resurrection.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Jesus was a normal average looking Jew of his time. Didn't dress any differently and didn't groom himself any differently. Short hair was common in those days. Probably had short if any facial hair as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top