Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2015 2:09:21 PM EDT
I know that I tend to see a lot of argument on the right in regards to gay marriage/abortion/divorce/etc that seems to stem from the position that America will invite God's judgment as we are a "Christian Nation" and so on. Political opinions on these topics aside, what is your view and what is the Biblical evidence for such on whether America will be judged by God for our sin?

I tend to see these moral shortfalls in our nation as "par for the course" when we have more and more people turning away from God and shunning the idea of the Church (The Church as the body of believers in Christ, not a building or denomination). As such, I tend to look at things like divorce and gay marriage as certainly undesirable, but ultimately up to the government and the voters to choose what THEY wish to recognize. I see marriage itself as a Holy Union recognized by God within the Church, and while it breaks my heart to see people throwing this idea out the window within society, I don't let it affect me too much. I see the fight for the sanctity of marriage as one that occurs within the Church, not within the government of whatever nation we happen to be living in at the time.

Therefore I think of the importance of rebuking our Brothers/Sisters within the Church who wish to embrace such things should replace our desire to prevent it from occurring within secular society.

I also tend to think that the ideas of preventing our government and secular society from doing the things that lost people do is out of some subconsciously adopted theology equating America as some sort of New Israel. I know there is some variation among theologians as to what the Bible is referring to when discussing Israel in relation to end times. I prescribe to the view that we are still discussing national Israel, though I have heard that the Christian Church is the new Israel, and I have heard on a more limited scale some refer to America as some sort of new Israel due to the faith of those originally comprising our nation at its founding.

I see this idea of God's judgment on America outside of the end times judgments as an adoption of the belief that America is the new Israel and through our own rebellion against God via our embrace of immorality we will be judged the same as Israel was during the Old Testament when they turned their back on God.

I bring this up as these ideas seem to be getting even more popular among Christians that I know of various denominations and there are a number of writers out there making similar claims along the same lines of thinking. Jonathan Cahn comes to mind with The Harbinger, The Isaiah 9:10 judgment (both of which really do make some striking parallels that are more than enough to make me raise an eyebrow), and the Mystery of the Shemitah, etc. I know I have seen some other authors with similar ideas though I can't think of their names/titles at this moment.

Edited to add that if we WERE to be judged by God due to our wickedness much the same as Israel was judged in the Old Testament, are we any less wicked because we have legal restrictions in place within our government to prevent people from legally doing certain things? Whose hearts were changed and what immoral behavior undone by such a thing as a restriction of gay marriages for instance? I think I'm making my view fairly plain, but I am interested in other opinions as well as scripture references. I also want to be very plain that Scripture is very clear on the sinfulness of these topics and I am not trying to support them, just trying to enhance my understanding of the subject.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
God will judge each of us individually
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
In the New Testament Homosexuality is named as a judgement.  I'm seeing a lot of that now a days.  Maybe we are being judged.
It is Very narcosis tic to think that America is a new Israel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And by doing so, He will judge nations as a group.

I fear for our once-great country. We don't have to curtail freedoms to remain somewhat godly, but it would seem we have chosen to throw in our entire lot with the wrong side....

We have gone from tolerance of "evils" in the name of equality and freedom to a full-throated roar in opposition to ANYTHING that even SMELLS like "morality" or "God". Just turn on the TV... No matter where you look, you get smacked in the face with the worst of immoralities that would have been unheard of just a few years ago.

I fear for our children...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I fear for our once-great country. We don't have to curtail freedoms to remain somewhat godly, but it would seem we have chosen to throw in our entire lot with the wrong side....

We have gone from tolerance of "evils" in the name of equality and freedom to a full-throated roar in opposition to ANYTHING that even SMELLS like "morality" or "God". Just turn on the TV... No matter where you look, you get smacked in the face with the worst of immoralities that would have been unheard of just a few years ago.

I fear for our children
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fear for our children

I certainly wouldn't argue there. It seems our society as a whole wants all things of the flesh and nothing to do with God.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Even if individuals don't want to worry about God, what disturbs me the most is that it used to be that there was a sense of respect for the God-fearing majority, provided the minority was not persecuted.

Nowadays, it seems the minority is allowed to run roughshod over everything they don't like, and heaven forbid that those who fear God so much as breathe...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You hit the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the New Testament Homosexuality is named as a judgement.  I'm seeing a lot of that now a days.  Maybe we are being judged.
View Quote

Would you elaborate on what you mean by that? Is homosexuality a judgement or a condition deserving judgement?

I don't think it's necessarily narcissistic to think of America as a new Israel, just really poor theology.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Would you elaborate on what you mean by that? Is homosexuality a judgement or a condition deserving judgement?

I don't think it's necessarily narcissistic to think of America as a new Israel, just really poor theology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In the New Testament Homosexuality is named as a judgement. I'm seeing a lot of that now a days. Maybe we are being judged.

I can't copy and paste the verse, but Romans 1 deals with this.  Homosexuality is listed as a judgement for turning from God.

IMO, America would be a better fit for a new Babylon than a new Israel.  I used to have a hard time believing that America would join the rest of the world and come us against God and the physical descendants of Abraham.  Now, I can totally see it.  I've never seen such hypocrisy as people display when condemning Israel.  Besides, what better opportunity for God to show the world how powerful He is, than to defend Israel against the ENTIRE world, including the most powerful country.  If God would send judgements on Egypt to make His power known, why would a moral cesspool like America think it can escape judgement?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't copy and paste the verse, but Romans 1 deals with this.  Homosexuality is listed as a judgement for turning from God.

IMO, America would be a better fit for a new Babylon than a new Israel.  I used to have a hard time believing that America would join the rest of the world and come us against God and the physical descendants of Abraham.  Now, I can totally see it.  I've never seen such hypocrisy as people display when condemning Israel.  Besides, what better opportunity for God to show the world how powerful He is, than to defend Israel against the ENTIRE world, including the most powerful country.  If God would send judgements on Egypt to make His power known, why would a moral cesspool like America think it can escape judgement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the New Testament Homosexuality is named as a judgement. I'm seeing a lot of that now a days. Maybe we are being judged.

I tend to agree. Given the current geo-political climate in our world right now, I could definitely see America as being Mystery Babylon. Our moral decline seems to be getting more rapid. God only knows how it will work out in the end.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
...And we should be fearing for America.....doesn't take rocket science to see that we've been stolen, killed and destroyed.  (Jn. 10:10a)  Look around!  Any nation that abandons God to the degree that we have is asking for a boat load of shit, majorly headed their way.   Good news is that God would have been able to spare Sodom for a few righteous men.  It's high time to wake up, people.  We are the answer, we are the ambassadors....Ephesians 3:20 !   Huzzah !  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top