Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2015 4:05:43 AM EDT
I know I've heard that some denominations don't allow dancing (Quaker for one). I recently met someone who is in a "christian dance troop". They told me they got ran out of a local church who said dancing is evil, or whatever. This person cited a verse in the bible about someone dancing (I can't remember what verse it was.
Anyways, I was just wundering what the general consensus is among christians about dancing? Or where is dancing mentioned in the bible?
ETA: My mother used to go to a quaker church, I thought she said they were against dancing, now she says it was the baptist. Apparently several local churchs have kinda ran these people out when they said they had a Christian Dance Troop. Personally, I just can't imagine how danceing can be made to be religious.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
It's called a verse buddy.

There is nothing in the Bible that prohibits dancing. Just stupid Christians/demoninations adding to the scriptures.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#3]

All the Quakers I've known have danced.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#4]
David danced ...of course he wasn't a Christian....I'd ask for a verse.  Then get on to what you want to do, cause they won't find one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of talk in the Bible of dancing for joy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All the Quakers I've known have danced.
View Quote
It's called Quake, rattle and roll.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm familiar with the subject as I grew up hearing that.  The reason was that dancing was sexually suggestive. Those in the Bible were just dancing for joy according to their interpretation.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
David danced ...of course he wasn't a Christian....I'd ask for a verse.  Then get on to what you want to do, cause they won't find one.
View Quote

The God who wrote Tanakh (OT to most) is the same God who wrote the New Testament.

I can't recall any verse that prohibits dancing in either.

David danced before the Ark of the Covenant to please the Lord.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a Baptist thing around here, along with telling children that Halloween is satan's holiday.  My wife is an evil dance teacher who loves Halloween.  Extra evil and satanic.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#10]
1st reply nailed it op. And the cool thing about being a Catholic is we can dance, drink, and play Bingo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1st reply nailed it op. And the cool thing about being a Catholic is we can dance, drink, and play Bingo.
View Quote

On a serious note you guys have to admit that while dancing itself is not the problem, but sexually suggestive dancing IS the problem.  And to further that problem, most "dance" scenes cannot stay away from the suggestive part of dance.  It is yet another normal expression of human emotion tainted by our fall.  If all could dance and not grind, or bump, or hump or booty shake and whatever else they call those moves, then there would be nothing wrong with dancing.  But, those who will cling to dancing and try to defend it will shout that someone is infringing on their God given right to dance, as David did.  My unworthy 2 cents
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I also have heard that on a serious note...not that it is a sin, but as in how would you feel about someone bumping and grinding with your wife?  There are things that are sins and there are things that may not be best, but are not sins.  I may be swayed that line dancing is a sin.  Thank goodness the makarana was in the 90s
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The God who wrote Tanakh (OT to most) is the same God who wrote the New Testament.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

David did a lot of things. He is God's favorite person, and since his behavior didn't prohibit his vindication, that should probably serve as a pretty good lesson that behavior and the various ways of man have nothing to do with vindication.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Does a "christian dance troop" seem odd though? I can't imagine what they do. I'm going to go see them here pretty soon. Got invited.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the God of the Old Test mentioned was the same as My God.  I was being silly about him being Jewish and not Christian...so it was ok.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
No problem for the LDS.  The church hosts dances for its youth and has dance teams at BYU.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#17]
There is nothing wrong with dancing, but there is with HOW/WHY you dance. Are you doing it for yourself or for God. Bumping and grinding are not pleasing to God as it fills a selfish/flesh desire and is inviting one thing-sex. The music of today varies so much and is full of hidden connotations -sex, violence, drug use, etc., all of which is not godly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I danced in the morning when the world was young
I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun
I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth
At Bethlehem I had my birth

Dance, dance, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance, said he
And I lead you all, wherever you may be
And I lead you all in the dance, said he

I danced for the scribes and the Pharisees
They wouldn't dance, they wouldn't follow me
I danced for the fishermen James and John
They came with me so the dance went on

I danced on the Sabbath and I cured the lame
The holy people said it was a shame
They ripped, they stripped, they hung me high
Left me there on the cross to die

I danced on a Friday when the world turned black
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back
They buried my body, they thought I was gone
But I am the dance, and the dance goes on

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that will never, never die
I'll live in you if you'll live in me
I am the Lord of the dance, said he

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a Baptist thing around here, along with telling children that Halloween is satan's holiday.
View Quote

Well, Halloween is the eve of All Saints Day, a Catholic holiday, and to many Baptists, the RCC is the WoB, so I can see how Baptists would get there.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#20]
What is a WoB?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is a WoB?
View Quote

That's what I was wondering too. Only thing I can think of that comes close is woman on the beast.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Whore
of
Babylon
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Whore
of
Babylon
View Quote

Hey! I'm a son of a whore!

Awesome!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Do you know why Baptist dont have sex standing up? Because they might be accused of dancing.

Baptist by the way.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I grew up Baptist. There is a whole lot of among my Baptist brothers/sisters in Christ. Smoking/Drinking were sins, rock music was a sin, dancing was a sin, etc. There is a high level of legalism among that and similar types of denominations. There is nothing against dancing, but I would definitely see the issue with certain types of "dancing" that are practiced today. Anymore, all it is is dry humping in groups.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Drinking and smoking are not called sins anywhere in the Christian Bible.  Getting drunk, yes.  The looking at them as a sin are traditions of man.  I have respect for someone who chooses not to drink or smoke.  Our pastor one said from the pulpit, " smoking won't send you to hell, but you will smell like you have been there"
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Drinking and smoking are not called sins anywhere in the Christian Bible.  Getting drunk, yes.  The looking at them as a sin are traditions of man.  I have respect for someone who chooses not to drink or smoke.  Our pastor one said from the pulpit, " smoking won't send you to hell, but you will smell like you have been there"
View Quote

Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them. Mark 7:15. Break out the meth guys, Jesus said it was ok!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whore
of
Babylon

Awesome!

I thought you were the son of a cuban...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top