Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Mayber  I am not being clear.  Zeus is mentioned.  But we know he was not real.  Ot verses are quoted, word for word in the NT.  We know they were scripture.  Are any of the books we are discussing quoted word for word in the NT? A preacher or priest use examples all the time from books other than the Bible.  That does not make them scripture. Example, the mention of Zeus. I have not yet studied these books. Maybe they are quoted.  That's why I ask.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll accept your cannon point.  My next question is.  Can you point to a verse where anyone in the Bible quotes from these books? I am not asking for places they are mentioned.  I know own those are there.  But I can point to many places where Jesus or others actually quote from the non disputed books.  Mentioning does not .aka it scripture.  There is talk of Zeus in the Bible.
View Quote

My assertion wasn't that Jesus quote those books, it was that the original texts indicate that Jesus and the apostles were quoting from the greek collection of scripture (the Septuagint) not the Jewish canon. They differed because by 250 bc the greek version included the apocrypha and the Jewish did not. Certainly Jesus read and was aware of both.

You logic would indicate that Jesus needed to mention these books in order for them to be considered holy scripture, which Im sure we can both agree is not the case.

It is necessary to realize that a central authority needed to (and did) use its Christ given authority to canonize scripture - what was in and what was out. This happened near the end of the 4th century. After that there was little debate about the authority, validity, or usefulness of scripture - until the reformation which sparked the council of Trent which RE-AFFIRMED the Churches teaching on Scripture and which books were included (being necessary because of Luthers, and other reformers, belief about certain books not being reconcilable with Sola Fide etc.) Nothing was canonized, added, or deleted via Trent.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nice try, however Jesus and the Apostles quoted the GREEK translation of the septuagint 300 out of ~315 times in scripture. As of ~250 BC the apocrypha was absolutely included in the septuagint. Its amazing how revisionist protestant history becomes. . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyways...Luther didn't remove anything from the Bible.  One can make a case that the Catholic Church added to it in 385.  The books you are referring to were not in the septuagint( the Hebrew bible.). This would have been the books that Jesus used....

Nice try, however Jesus and the Apostles quoted the GREEK translation of the septuagint 300 out of ~315 times in scripture. As of ~250 BC the apocrypha was absolutely included in the septuagint. Its amazing how revisionist protestant history becomes. . .

I would like to clarify.  I believe the Septuagint was written in the Greek language.  That was the purpose of the Septuagint was to bring the Hebrew into the Greek language.  I believe the Emperor of Alexandria commission this task.  So, to say "the Greek translation of the Septuagint" would be incorrect.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You are correct.  I misspoke the septuagint does include these books, they are not however in the Jewish Canon.  This is the same as the protestant bible that remained the same until they were removed in the 1880s.  This does not change the fact that Luther did not remove these from the Bible.

View Quote

This is because the Jews changed things before the final Canonization in order to refute Christian claims connecting what we call the Old Testament to the New Testament.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Again, yes he did.

The canon of Scripture is the list of 73 books that belong to the Bible. The earliest writings of the Bible were likely composed in the 10th century B.C. The writing of Scripture continued until the first century A.D., when Revelation was complete.

Seven books of the Bible, all in the Old Testament, are accepted by Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, but are not accepted by Jews or Protestants. These include 1 and 2 Maccabees, Judith, Tobit, Baruch, Sirach, and Wisdom, and additions to the books of Esther and Daniel. These books are called Deuterocanonical by Catholics and Orthodox and Apocryphal by Jews and Protestants. These were the last books of the Old Testament written, composed in the last two centuries B.C. Their omission in Protestant Bibles leaves a chronological gap in salvation history.

The version of the Bible in use at the time of Jesus was the Septuagint (abbreviated LXX, for the 70 men who translated it from Hebrew into Greek by the beginning of the first century B.C.). This version of the Bible included the seven Deuterocanonical books. This was the version of the Old Testament used by the New Testament authors and by Christians during the first century A.D.

With the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem by the Romans in the year 70 A.D. and because the Christians were seen as a threat, the Jewish leaders saw a need to get their house in order. One thing that they did was to decide officially the list of books that were to compose their Scriptures. They did this at the Council of Jamnia (about 100 A.D.), at which they rejected the seven Deuterocanonical books because they believed that they were not written in Hebrew. (In 1947, however, fragments in Hebrew of Tobit and Sirach were discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls. In addition, most Scripture scholars believe that 1 Maccabees, Judith, Baruch and parts of Wisdom were also originally written in Hebrew.) The early Church did not require all Scripture to be written in Hebrew, and the New Testament books were written in Greek.

The early Church continued to accept the books of the LXX version, although some debate about these books continued through the 5th century. This list, as accepted by the Catholic Church, was affirmed by the Council of Hippo in 393 A.D., by the Council of Carthage in 397 A.D., and by Pope Innocent I in 405 A.D. At the Ecumenical Council of Florence in 1442, the Catholic list was again restated, against those who wanted to include even more books.

In the 16th century, Martin Luther adopted the Jewish list, putting the Deuterocanonical books in an appendix. He also put the letter of James, the letter to the Hebrews, the letters of John, and the book of Revelation from the New Testament in an appendix. He did this for doctrinal reasons (for example: 2 Maccabees 12:43-46 supports the doctrine of purgatory, Hebrews supports the existence of the priesthood, and James 2:24 supports the Catholic doctrine on merit). Later Lutherans followed Luther’s Old Testament list and rejected the Deuterocanonical books, but they did not follow his rejection of the New Testament books.

Finally, in 1546, the Council of Trent reaffirmed the traditional list of the Catholic Church.

As such, and if you want to throw Pontifical Authority behind it, the 73 books of the Bible were considered signed, sealed, and delivered no later than 405AD, 1100 years before Luther decided to change them. The Bible he would have used as a Catholic Priest had 73 books. The same one he would have read at Mass. He took it, and ripped out what he didn't like.

Trent simply restated what Innocent I had established over a millennium earlier: the 73 original books were STILL the 73 books.

ETA: The part in blue is taken from EWTN, where this question has long since been asked and put to bed. It was the first reference I found upon searching. There are others. I didn't want anyone thinking I'd written all that as my own work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again, I only brought this up to show that Luther never cut books out of the bible like someone said.

Again, yes he did.

The canon of Scripture is the list of 73 books that belong to the Bible. The earliest writings of the Bible were likely composed in the 10th century B.C. The writing of Scripture continued until the first century A.D., when Revelation was complete.

Seven books of the Bible, all in the Old Testament, are accepted by Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, but are not accepted by Jews or Protestants. These include 1 and 2 Maccabees, Judith, Tobit, Baruch, Sirach, and Wisdom, and additions to the books of Esther and Daniel. These books are called Deuterocanonical by Catholics and Orthodox and Apocryphal by Jews and Protestants. These were the last books of the Old Testament written, composed in the last two centuries B.C. Their omission in Protestant Bibles leaves a chronological gap in salvation history.

The version of the Bible in use at the time of Jesus was the Septuagint (abbreviated LXX, for the 70 men who translated it from Hebrew into Greek by the beginning of the first century B.C.). This version of the Bible included the seven Deuterocanonical books. This was the version of the Old Testament used by the New Testament authors and by Christians during the first century A.D.

With the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem by the Romans in the year 70 A.D. and because the Christians were seen as a threat, the Jewish leaders saw a need to get their house in order. One thing that they did was to decide officially the list of books that were to compose their Scriptures. They did this at the Council of Jamnia (about 100 A.D.), at which they rejected the seven Deuterocanonical books because they believed that they were not written in Hebrew. (In 1947, however, fragments in Hebrew of Tobit and Sirach were discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls. In addition, most Scripture scholars believe that 1 Maccabees, Judith, Baruch and parts of Wisdom were also originally written in Hebrew.) The early Church did not require all Scripture to be written in Hebrew, and the New Testament books were written in Greek.

The early Church continued to accept the books of the LXX version, although some debate about these books continued through the 5th century. This list, as accepted by the Catholic Church, was affirmed by the Council of Hippo in 393 A.D., by the Council of Carthage in 397 A.D., and by Pope Innocent I in 405 A.D. At the Ecumenical Council of Florence in 1442, the Catholic list was again restated, against those who wanted to include even more books.

In the 16th century, Martin Luther adopted the Jewish list, putting the Deuterocanonical books in an appendix. He also put the letter of James, the letter to the Hebrews, the letters of John, and the book of Revelation from the New Testament in an appendix. He did this for doctrinal reasons (for example: 2 Maccabees 12:43-46 supports the doctrine of purgatory, Hebrews supports the existence of the priesthood, and James 2:24 supports the Catholic doctrine on merit). Later Lutherans followed Luther’s Old Testament list and rejected the Deuterocanonical books, but they did not follow his rejection of the New Testament books.

Finally, in 1546, the Council of Trent reaffirmed the traditional list of the Catholic Church.

As such, and if you want to throw Pontifical Authority behind it, the 73 books of the Bible were considered signed, sealed, and delivered no later than 405AD, 1100 years before Luther decided to change them. The Bible he would have used as a Catholic Priest had 73 books. The same one he would have read at Mass. He took it, and ripped out what he didn't like.

Trent simply restated what Innocent I had established over a millennium earlier: the 73 original books were STILL the 73 books.

ETA: The part in blue is taken from EWTN, where this question has long since been asked and put to bed. It was the first reference I found upon searching. There are others. I didn't want anyone thinking I'd written all that as my own work.

Yes, this is correct

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You're looking at the wrong number, dude.

666 is NOT the number of the beast.
View Quote

Ha ha, that is funny.  So, for centuries the folks who had "first copy" misread it?  If you look to the symbolism of the numbers the early Christians saw this simply as 6 being incomplete and 666 would be 3 times incomplete; making something very incomplete or wrong.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In my experience and in no particular order:

-Evangelical fundamentalists who, for the most part, disapprove of Catholic "doctrines" that aren't.  These are your Mary/idol worship-mongers, the "Catholics aren't saved", whore of Babylon types.  

-Episcopalians who left the RCC over one of many disagreements, but wanted to retain the feel of the RC liturgy.  In my experience this ranges from former RC Priests who wanted to marry and have families to women who wanted to be priests and folks who divorced and wanted to remarry without going through the annulment process.  The Episcopal Church has a similar process, but from it is far less involved, especially for second marriages.  IIRC, third marriages have to be approved by the Episcopal bishop.  Conservative Episcopalians are largely aligned with the RCC and many from both churches hope for reunification.

-Liberal protestants who think that the RCC oppresses women because the can't be priests (nice juxtaposition with the Evangelicals who think we worship Mary), think that the RCC hates the same-sex attracted because it excludes them from "marriage", and those who think that the RCC has no business in the reproductive choices of women, be they abortion, abortifacient contraceptives, or other artificial contraceptives.  Some overlap with liberal Episcopalians here.

Many of the Lutheran/Methodists I know just think that the RCC is a little bit wacky and that there's a little too much guilt and too many rules, but don't have huge heartburn with the RCC.  Look for this to change as more mainline Protestant denominations embrace gay marriage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know who the main detractors of the RCC are, but they certainly put on a good show with their claims...

In my experience and in no particular order:

-Evangelical fundamentalists who, for the most part, disapprove of Catholic "doctrines" that aren't.  These are your Mary/idol worship-mongers, the "Catholics aren't saved", whore of Babylon types.  

-Episcopalians who left the RCC over one of many disagreements, but wanted to retain the feel of the RC liturgy.  In my experience this ranges from former RC Priests who wanted to marry and have families to women who wanted to be priests and folks who divorced and wanted to remarry without going through the annulment process.  The Episcopal Church has a similar process, but from it is far less involved, especially for second marriages.  IIRC, third marriages have to be approved by the Episcopal bishop.  Conservative Episcopalians are largely aligned with the RCC and many from both churches hope for reunification.

-Liberal protestants who think that the RCC oppresses women because the can't be priests (nice juxtaposition with the Evangelicals who think we worship Mary), think that the RCC hates the same-sex attracted because it excludes them from "marriage", and those who think that the RCC has no business in the reproductive choices of women, be they abortion, abortifacient contraceptives, or other artificial contraceptives.  Some overlap with liberal Episcopalians here.

Many of the Lutheran/Methodists I know just think that the RCC is a little bit wacky and that there's a little too much guilt and too many rules, but don't have huge heartburn with the RCC.  Look for this to change as more mainline Protestant denominations embrace gay marriage.

On the subject of Episcopalians if I understand this correctly we are talking about The Church of England which is the Anglican Church, which Episcopalians are the American Anglican Church.  I could be wrong, but I think that is the way it goes.  So, basically Episcopalians come from King Henry's attempt to establish himself as the deity of his own church so he could do as he pleased, especially when it came to divorce or annulments.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I grew up episcopal.  Yes they branched off from the Church of England due to political issues...England vs USA.  They have become very left wing wackos.  They have a woman bishop, actively gay bishops and priests and they are pro choice.  From what I have seen and heard, they are losing lots of members to the Catholic Church or the Reformed Episcopal Church.  Both much more conservative, with pretty much the same type of service.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Luther wrote a book in his later days named "The Jews and their lies." That was something Preacher didn't tell us about in confirmation class.
View Quote

Yes, this. I was raised in a very conservative Lutheran sect, and nothing was mentioned of Luther's anti-semitism. Was a bit of an eye opener when I came across it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never understood the anti-semitism espoused by some "Christians".

I mean...... Jesus was a Jew. Mary was a Jew. The Apostles were Jews. Most of the people in the OT were Jews....

Whatever, I guess...
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, this. I was raised in a very conservative Lutheran sect, and nothing was mentioned of Luther's anti-semitism. Was a bit of an eye opener when I came across it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Luther wrote a book in his later days named "The Jews and their lies." That was something Preacher didn't tell us about in confirmation class.

I was raised ELCA Lutheran and it was mentioned in our confirmation class..... not as something we should believe but as something we should be aware of how anyone can get off track.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I mean...... Jesus was a Jew. Mary was a Jew. The Apostles were Jews. Most of the people in the OT were Jews....

Whatever, I guess...
View Quote

I don't either. Some blame the Jewish people for the crucifixion of Christ, when actually it was the Romans that carried it out.
In truth, it was the sins of every one of us that He willingly shed His life's blood for.

From what I've read about Luther, even though I'm not a follower of his, he was pro Israel until they rejected his teachings. Then he became very anti-semitic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don' either. Some blame the Jewish people for the crucifixion of Christ, when actually it was the Romans that carried it out.

In truth, it was the sins of every one of us that He willingly shed His life's blood for.

From what I've read about Luther, even though I'm not a follower of his, he was pro Israel until they rejected his teachings. Then he became very anti-semitic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever, I guess...

I don' either. Some blame the Jewish people for the crucifixion of Christ, when actually it was the Romans that carried it out.

I agree.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no idea why anyone would hate a race.  I strongly dislike actions of people...but that has nothing to do with race.  Like him or hate him, he was a man and wasn't perfect.  Was he the antichrist? No he wasn't.  Was he the best thing since sliced bread? Nope.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree with you guys.  The funny thing is that in the days of the Apostles, not that much changed in Judaism, for them.  The Messiah had come, so sacrificial things were done, but they still went to synagogue on the hours and fasted.  They saw this as the furthering of Judaism - an evolution if you will- not a new order called Christianity.  I think some folks forget that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree with you guys.  The funny thing is that in the days of the Apostles, not that much changed in Judaism, for them.  The Messiah had come, so sacrificial things were done, but they still went to synagogue on the hours and fasted.  They saw this as the furthering of Judaism - an evolution if you will- not a new order called Christianity.  I think some folks forget that.
View Quote

If anything, Christianity is more Jewish today than Judaism, in that it is the fulfillment of Judaism.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If anything, Christianity is more Jewish today than Judaism, in that it is the fulfillment of Judaism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXACTLY!!!!!

It is what Judaism was supposed to have become.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top