BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just because someone's life doesn't show good works doesn't mean they haven't come to a saving knowledge of Christ. We don't know know what's going in their hearts but God does.
View Quote

By their fruits you shall know them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because someone's life doesn't show good works doesn't mean they haven't come to a saving knowledge of Christ. We don't know know what's going in their hearts but God does.

+1 paris-dakar
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.  That's the rule, though there may be exceptions...
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you read this scripture in context of Matthew 7:15-20 which starts this off, Jesus is talking about false prophets.  Born again Christians are not perfect just forgiven.  No matter what our past which the world judges us by, God doesn't if we have accepted His Son.  We are forgiven.  Sometimes born again Christians don't escape man's justice or the consequences of their actions which outwardly might not be seen as good fruits because you start where you are and go forward no matter where that starting point is with our walk with the Lord.   As Christians, we have to be careful not to start judging someone's fruits because we are not to judge anyone.  Someone who calls himself a prophet is a different story though because they are spiritual leaders.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll bite.  Faith only is enough.  What if I have faith, and die that minute I am saved.  Will I go to heaven? I did no works, died to fast.   That is why faith is enough.  That said....if you truly have faith, you will do the works.  It is impossible not to.  What Jesus did was enough.  There is nothing we can do to earn our salvation.  If you have faith and are saved, this will be visible by your actions.  So yes faith is enough.
View Quote

No, it's not. Also, I see in your post a pattern that I've seen repeated countless times. You have chosen to rely on a "what if" question and have made absolutely no mention of what God actually teaches in His inspired word, the Bible.

Read Hebrews 11 and show me where it says of any of the patriarchs, "By faith So-and-So did no works, and it was counted to him as righteousness."

Next, read James 2, come back here, and post what the scripture there says about "faith only".

Out of curiosity, have you ever heard James 2 preached? In teaching a number of people who grew up being taught the doctrine you're defending here, I have found that everybody--and I mean that very literally--that I taught about passages like Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Romans 6:3-11, James 2, 1 Peter 3:21, etc. had never been taught those verses. They had never, ever heard them in years of teaching at their churches. They had no idea that they even existed in the Bible. It's very interesting and disturbing to me that people who claim to be shepherds simply omit a pretty sizable amount of scripture so that their flock will never question the doctrines they teach.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Have them show you where in Scripture it says that."

This is what the Apostle Paul says.
Romans 10:9-10
If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

I cannot speak for everyone, but as a pastor; you asking doesn't upset me at all. It excites me when people care. Maybe people get upset when a question isn't a question but an attempt to "prove someone wrong." Btw - I don't think they should get upset. Sometimes people believe what they do because someone told them to, not because they have read the Word and see it as truth. So they are insecure and are afraid of real questions.

Just know this, if I share its because I care. If I believed in something as important as eternal destination and sat on it you could conclude 2 things:
A) I don't really believe it.
B) I don't care what happens to you.

Neither of which I'm ok with. You can believe anything you want! God bless America! But consider this - only one way is the right one.
View Quote

Agreed. There is only one way. Ephesians 4 tells us that there is only one faith, and only one baptism.

You're a pastor, so do you ever preach James 2? How can you tell people that we are saved by "faith only" when the apostle James wrote "not by faith only" in James 2:24?

How do you say from the pulpit "You do not need to be baptized to be saved" when Jesus Himself said EXACTLY the opposite in Mark 16:16?

How can you teach that "baptism does not save us" when the apostle Peter wrote EXACTLY the opposite in 1 Peter 3:21?

I've heard all kinds of arguments against specific scriptures like these and, without fail, they all end up being variants on one of three things:

1. That verse should not have been included in the Bible, and the literally hundreds and hundreds of translators over the last two millennia are in error.

2. That is an error in translation, and the literally hundreds and hundreds of translators over the last two millennia are in error.

3. You do not know how to interpret the Bible and need to rely on a specially educated priesthood to tell you why the Bible means the opposite of what it says.

When I chose to be baptized, I did so for several reasons:

1. To be saved (Mark 16:16)

2. To have my sins washed away (Acts 22:16)

3. To put on Christ (Galatians 3:27)

4. So that the Lord would add me to His church (Acts 2:47).

I had absolutely NO understanding that my baptism was "an outward sign of an inward change" or anything remotely related to that.

You're a pastor, so tell me this: would my baptism count if I wanted to join your church? If so, why? If not, why?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Read the whole chapter and put it in context.  He was speaking about the Jewish leaders at the time who knew all of the rules and laws.
Knowing all the rules and laws was never enough, and the Law of Moses was never intended to save, but to impute sin. Simply knowing the Law of Moses has nothing whatsoever to do with faith, and simply doing works of the Law of Moses has nothing to do with righteousness per Isaiah 1. But we don't live under the Law of Moses, and nobody here is saying that you have to perform works of the Law of Moses to be saved.

They actively followed everything, but did not have faith in Jesus.
They didn't have faith in Jesus, yes, and perhaps many never came to faith and that would certainly have kept them from being saved. You simply can't be saved unless you have faith, no matter how many good things you do. If you have sinned only once in your life--and all have--then you have earned the wages of sin. On that we agree (ETA I suspect).

Though they claimed to have faith, there was no action backing it up.
Again, I refer you to the latter half of James 2, which addresses exactly that.

In Gods eyes we are all dead in sin until we are saved.
That's not exactly what the Bible says. We are, in fact, dead in the sense that we have earned the wage of sin, which is death. That is the death of the eternal soul. Life is apart from this creation (John 1:1-5) and is from and in Christ. If we are not in Christ, our soul will surely be dead in eternity.

man in unable to do good.  It is not our nature. That is why Jesus had to die for us.
No, absolutely not. Jesus died that our sins might be forgiven. He died to bring peace between sinful man and holy God. He died to act as the Mediator that allows us to become joint heirs with Him of the eternal inheritance. He died in order to give us the right to, through Him, become children of God. He did NOT die so that we would be able to do good. Show me a scripture that teaches this.

Good is determined by God.  If man determined what was good there would be no set standard.  If we could do good without Jesus we would have no use for him.
Again, that's a complete failure to understand why Jesus came. Jesus came to save the world from sin, not so that people would be able to do good.

Now I know people are gonna read this and say" I know a guy who isn't a Christian, and he is the best, nicest person I know, so he does good without faith"  he does what Man considers good.  The standard is Set by God though. Not Man.
I absolutely agree that God sets the standard, so let's stick with what God Himself teaches us in the Bible. If you can show me a scripture that says that baptism is "an outward sign of an inward change" or a passage that teaches that baptism does not save us or a passage that says that baptism is not for the remission of sins, I'll submit to God's teaching.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mastadon

How do you say from the pulpit "You do not need to be baptized to be saved" when Jesus Himself said EXACTLY the opposite in Mark 16:16?

How can you teach that "baptism does not save us" when the apostle Peter wrote EXACTLY the opposite in 1 Peter 3:21?

I've heard all kinds of arguments against specific scriptures like these and, without fail, they all end up being variants on one of three things:

1. That verse should not have been included in the Bible, and the literally hundreds and hundreds of translators over the last two millennia are in error.

2. That is an error in translation, and the literally hundreds and hundreds of translators over the last two millennia are in error.

3. You do not know how to interpret the Bible and need to rely on a specially educated priesthood to tell you why the Bible means the opposite of what it says.

I had absolutely NO understanding that my baptism was "an outward sign of an inward change" or anything remotely related to that.

You're a pastor, so tell me this: would my baptism count if I wanted to join your church? If so, why? If not, why?
View Quote

James chapter 2. You need to study it more. It's speaking of intellectual agreement of facts. Not true faith in Jesus. Regarding baptism being necessary for salvation.
Luke 23:42-43
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Faith in Christ without baptism was enough for him. Jesus didn't tell him sorry it's too late you missed your chance to be baptized and be justified through works.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:How do you say from the pulpit "You do not need to be baptized to be saved" when Jesus Himself said EXACTLY the opposite in Mark 16:16?

View Quote

1Peter and Mark 16 speak of baptism of the Holy Spirit. Water baptism is merely symbolic.

1 Peter 3:21 New International Version (NIV)
and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Mark 16:15-16
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Notice Jesus doesn't repeat baptism - He only repeats 'believe' because without one, the other doesn't happen. See the parallel in Ephesians?

Ephesians 1:13-14
In whom [speaking of Christ] ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Faith in Christ without baptism was enough for him. Jesus didn't tell him sorry it's too late you missed your chance to be baptized and be justified through works.
View Quote

So I guess when Christ said that unless a man is born again of WATER and the Spirit, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God, that He was wrong?

Hint: Christ is not limited by the Sacraments. He can save a ham sandwich if He so chooses...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

James chapter 2. You need to study it more. It's speaking of intellectual agreement of facts. Not true faith in Jesus. Regarding baptism being necessary for salvation.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Mastadon

The classic thief-on-the-cross argument, which completely fails to recognize that Jesus had all authority to forgive sins. That worked out nicely for the thief on the cross, but we don't have the luxury of the Word incarnate dwelling among us these days. Plus, Christ had not yet died for anyone's sins. The thief could not have been baptized into Christ's death as Christ was, at that point, still alive.

What about the questions I asked?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1Peter and Mark 16 speak of baptism of the Holy Spirit. Water baptism is merely symbolic.

and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Notice Jesus doesn't repeat baptism - He only repeats 'believe' because without one, the other doesn't happen. See the parallel in Ephesians?

In whom [speaking of Christ] ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:How do you say from the pulpit "You do not need to be baptized to be saved" when Jesus Himself said EXACTLY the opposite in Mark 16:16?

Sigh. Same arguments I hear every time.

Every.

Single.

Time.

Why did Jesus need to repeat baptism? If you don't believe, there's not much point in anything else. If you think it's all cool to say "Oh, yeah! Jesus is my Lord!" but then teach that we don't have to do what He said, well, OK. How can you say that the Ephesians passage is "parallel"? How do you define "parallel passage"?

I, however, will choose to live in obedience to the One whom I call Lord.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Every.

Single.

Time.
View Quote
Won't be the last either. Bible doesn't change.

If you think it's all cool to say "Oh, yeah! Jesus is my Lord!" but then teach that we don't have to do what He said, well, OK. I, however, will choose to live in obedience to the One whom I call Lord.
View Quote
Not sure I understand. Are you talking about living righteously (Titus 2:12) or obedience to get or maintain salvation (Lordship salvation)?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not sure I understand. Are you talking about living righteously (Titus 2:12) or obedience to get or maintain salvation (Lordship salvation)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Every.

Single.

Time.

If you think it's all cool to say "Oh, yeah! Jesus is my Lord!" but then teach that we don't have to do what He said, well, OK. I, however, will choose to live in obedience to the One whom I call Lord.

The way I look at obedience is to look at what Jesus said were the two greatest commandments.  The bible is filled with wisdom, knowledge and teachings on how to help us fulfill these two commandments.  We need the Holy Spirit if we are ever to be a victorious a Christian otherwise it doesn't work very well. Obedience out of love and not duty, understanding who we are in Christ (our authority) and the Grace that keeps us from condemnation are all part of this.  Living a holy righteous life can only be done through Jesus by understanding it is less of me and more of the one who created me, flowing through me.  It is freedom and nothing can compare to it on this earth.   "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."   Matthew 22:36-40 kjv

It's a daily choice and a daily battle to become less so He can become more. I choose life that is everlasting and rely on the promises in His Word to overcome the circumstances that come my way.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Every.

Single.

Time.

Why did Jesus need to repeat baptism? If you don't believe, there's not much point in anything else. If you think it's all cool to say "Oh, yeah! Jesus is my Lord!" but then teach that we don't have to do what He said, well, OK. How can you say that the Ephesians passage is "parallel"? How do you define "parallel passage"?

View Quote

The way it sounds to me is that you are trusting in your works along with Christ to save. You're putting your trust in your own righteousness and not totally on Christ.  Me on the other hand. I put my faith in Christ alone and the good works I do, living the way I do and following God's law is because I'm already saved and because of my faith in Jesus I have a desire to obey the Father and to do what is right. I don't do the things I do to get to heaven because as the Bible says our righteousness is as filthy rags.

Now I will say if you claim to believe in Christ but live like the devil and have no desire for the things of God. Then you may want to examine your heart to find out if you really believe because if you have a true belief you'll desire to do God's will.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The way it sounds to me is that you are trusting in your works along with Christ to save. You're putting your trust in your own righteousness and not totally on Christ.  Me on the other hand. I put my faith in Christ alone and the good works I do, living the way I do and following God's law is because I'm already saved and because of my faith in Jesus I have a desire to obey the Father and to do what is right. I don't do the things I do to get to heaven because as the Bible says our righteousness is as filthy rags.

Now I will say if you claim to believe in Christ but live like the devil and have no desire for the things of God. Then you may want to examine your heart to find out if you really believe because if you have a true belief you'll desire to do God's will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every.

Single.

Time.

...and therefore, when the Bible says to be baptized, I don't have to be baptized.

OK.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, here's an easier question that I actually need help with getting solved:

How do we fix the problem of so many people treating public prayer and/or handing out Bibles and talking about both like nuclear waste or worse than extreme porn?   I want to be able to get more people introduced to Christianity as it really is, not the horror tales and millions of misunderstandings and hundreds of liberal smears, but just like guns there's a horrible barrier of stereotypes and "I know a guy who" stories.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Every.

Single.

Time.

No, the Bible does not change, but the thief-on-the-cross argument is an utter failure to understand 1) the basic order of events presented in the Bible and 2) the authority given to Christ as recorded in the Bible.

Nobody ever addresses that, though. They just point fingers and say, "You're trusting in works" without even understanding what "trusting in works" really is.

And yes, I absolutely believe in obeying the gospel. Here's why:

1 Peter 4:17

For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

2 Thessalonians 1:6-8

...it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Here's a good rule of thumb: if you have to rely on human reasoning and philosophy to convince me that the Bible really means B when the text says A, I know that you are simply trying to rationalize a doctrine that disagrees with the Bible.

For example:

* Just because Jesus said "He who believes and is baptized will be saved" doesn't mean that you have to believe and be baptized to be saved.

* Just because Peter told the audience of the first gospel sermon to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins doesn't mean that baptism has anything to do with the remission of sins.

Etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well, you're getting real close my friend.
Just dumping the notion that you can somehow "save yourself" eliminates all the man made religions of the world.
Boils down to Jesus or nothing at that point.
You can't save yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I genuinely like most Christians, in fact, I agree with much of the Bible's teachings.  I have my own belief's and I pray and meditate daily.  I'm not looking to buy in to the dogma of any organized religion.  I simply don't believe certain things central to the religion of Christianity.  I'd like to be able to be around Christians but when they start questioning me about my beliefs it always gets around to, "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?"   I tell them that I can say and have said it but I'm not convinced that's the way it works and I don't believe it's necessary to save myself. Then they start.   I don't believe there is a hell except for what we create for ourselves in many different ways in our time here on earth.  My life continues to get better and I know I'm growing spiritually and personally.  I wish they'd respect my beliefs as I respect theirs.

Well, you're getting real close my friend.
Just dumping the notion that you can somehow "save yourself" eliminates all the man made religions of the world.
Boils down to Jesus or nothing at that point.
You can't save yourself.

For people with a controlling nature, it's the most uncomfortable thing to accept that they ultimately have no power to save themselves and it is only by the acceptance of grace.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How do we fix the problem of so many people treating public prayer and/or handing out Bibles and talking about both like nuclear waste or worse than extreme porn?
View Quote

Good question.

The Bible tells us that the world will reject the gospel as well as those who accept the gospel. Scripture also tells us that the way is narrow and few will enter. Most of the seed scattered by the sower does not bear fruit, and even that which does bear fruit bears different amounts.

We cannot "fix" the public's attitude--all we can do is teach what the Bible teaches and leave it up to those who hear to either accept it or reject it. There are so many people out there (and you can see a an almost constant, great example of this on this website) who *think* they know what the Bible says, but in fact have no idea. For example, plenty of people on this site (not necessarily in this forum) buy the argument that the Bible says to stone adulterers, therefore Christians must stone adulterers. That's the depth of biblical ignorance we deal with, and it's not limited to unbelievers.

One-on-one study of the Bible is the best solution to any of this, but understand that it is extraordinarily rare to find someone who claims belief in Christ who is willing to spend an hour studying the Bible. If you're a church goer, compare the number of people in Bible classes to the number of people in worship--in lots of churches, there's a big difference. Very sad, really.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, the Bible does not change, but the thief-on-the-cross argument is an utter failure to understand 1) the basic order of events presented in the Bible and 2) the authority given to Christ as recorded in the Bible.

Nobody ever addresses that, though.
View Quote

It's the exact opposite of failure. Jesus was the first to die on Golgotha that day. The thief's belief, while still on the cross, baptized him into Christ's death. It is the purest example of by grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus alone.

To suggest that Jesus would "call an audible" at the last minute and break the rules of salvation just might be the definition of someone not "obeying the gospel".
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

...and therefore, when the Bible says to be baptized, I don't have to be baptized.

OK.
View Quote

1 Corinthians 1:17

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Gospel and Baptism are separate things.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Acts 10:42-48

And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. 43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

God doesn't give the holy spirit to people that aren't saved.  These people were already saves and had the holy spirit. Baptism wasn't necessary for their salvation. Lunch break is over. I'll post more later.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's the exact opposite of failure. Jesus was the first to die on Golgotha that day. The thief's belief, while still on the cross, baptized him into Christ's death. It is the purest example of by grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus alone.

To suggest that Jesus would "call an audible" at the last minute and break the rules of salvation just might be the definition of someone not "obeying the gospel".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you deny that Jesus forgave the thief's sins on the spot before either one of them died?

A pattern I notice in this thread and in those like it is folks speaking lots of words, virtually none of which come from scripture, coupled with an unwillingness to have a two-way discussion in which both parties answer the others' questions. I asked you three questions above, none of which you answered. You seem to want me to believe what you say that the Bible says without me comparing your teaching to the Bible.

In this last post, you seem to be telling me that, when I say that Peter, preaching under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, commanded the Jews on the Day of Pentecost to be baptized for the remission of sins, I am not obeying the gospel. Is that correct? When I say that Jesus taught, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved," and teach that we have to believe and be baptized to be saved, are you telling me that I am guilty of not obeying the gospel?

In your interpretation, when Jesus says, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved," who will be saved?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. 43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

God doesn't give the holy spirit to people that aren't saved.  These people were already saves and had the holy spirit. Baptism wasn't necessary for their salvation. Lunch break is over. I'll post more later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.

Thank you for at least referring to scripture--I really appreciate that. I've got work to do but will reply when I have time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How do we fix the problem of so many people treating public prayer and/or handing out Bibles and talking about both like nuclear waste or worse than extreme porn?   I want to be able to get more people introduced to Christianity as it really is, not the horror tales and millions of misunderstandings and hundreds of liberal smears, but just like guns there's a horrible barrier of stereotypes and "I know a guy who" stories.
View Quote

Good luck with that, especially in today's liberal-dominated media market where all things remotely Christian are lambasted without mercy.

The Biblesays that by their works, ye shall know them. As such, the best advice I can offer is to live your life in a manner that gets noticed for being charitable, upright, etc. That alone will bring some people to your attention because they will notice you're not like everyone else.

The very last thing we need to be is loud or judgmental. We can explain what we believe without beating them over the heads for it. After all, the story of Christ is a very uplifting one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

By that same argument the Mother of God then would be free from sin before he was even born. Yes?

The only way to get out of that corner is to walk back through the paint.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Snip
View Quote

Dang this character limit.

Anyway. Here's another verse to go with what I said about the Gentiles in acts 10:42-48 being saved and having the holy spirit without baptism.
Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
The people in acts 10 had the spirit but were not baptized. If baptism is required to be saved and have the spirit then how did they have the spirit without baptism?

Romans 10:9-13

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Notice no mention of baptism in there in regards to salvation.

Now let's look at it from this perspective.  At my church we have a van ministry that picks up kids and teenagers.  Now for legal reasons if a child is saved we get a permission slip signed by the parent to allow us to baptize the kid or teenager or we do it if the parent is present. With the baptism being required for salvation belief,  if that kid were to die before their parent allowed them to be baptized God would have to tell them sorry your parents wouldn't let you get baptized so it's off to hell you go. I don't believe at all that God would do that to a teenager or child that's put their faith in Christ and who's lives and attitude totally changed after being saved.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Now for works being required. If works are required how do you know if you've obeyed God's law enough and done enough good works to be allowed in Heaven?

Galatians 5:1-5

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good question.

The Bible tells us that the world will reject the gospel as well as those who accept the gospel. Scripture also tells us that the way is narrow and few will enter. Most of the seed scattered by the sower does not bear fruit, and even that which does bear fruit bears different amounts.

We cannot "fix" the public's attitude--all we can do is teach what the Bible teaches and leave it up to those who hear to either accept it or reject it. There are so many people out there (and you can see a an almost constant, great example of this on this website) who *think* they know what the Bible says, but in fact have no idea. For example, plenty of people on this site (not necessarily in this forum) buy the argument that the Bible says to stone adulterers, therefore Christians must stone adulterers. That's the depth of biblical ignorance we deal with, and it's not limited to unbelievers.

One-on-one study of the Bible is the best solution to any of this, but understand that it is extraordinarily rare to find someone who claims belief in Christ who is willing to spend an hour studying the Bible. If you're a church goer, compare the number of people in Bible classes to the number of people in worship--in lots of churches, there's a big difference. Very sad, really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do we fix the problem of so many people treating public prayer and/or handing out Bibles and talking about both like nuclear waste or worse than extreme porn?

Good question.

I know that's true over the whole of the Earth's geography, but isn't it supposed to at least be better than average here in the USA?  Or is that just understanding it as it was 20-30 years ago when I was growing up?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good luck with that, especially in today's liberal-dominated media market where all things remotely Christian are lambasted without mercy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why must we concede that liberals dominate anything, media market or otherwise?  Are people really so stupid as to believe them?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry - thought I was in GD

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why must we concede that liberals dominate anything, media market or otherwise?  Are people really so stupid as to believe them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, YES.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Christians are a funny bunch, I admit. We sometimes judge others and not look at ourselves. I have done it myself. Is it right? No. Does it make me human,? Yes. Do I try to work on it? Yes. There is no other perfect person who has lived other than Jesus. He alone was the perfect sacrifice for the world, believe it or not. That is your choice. I choose to believe it and try to live my life accordingly, even though I sometimes stumble. That is why Jesus is there, to catch us when we fall. I always here people say, God helps those that help themselves and  that is biblically incorrect. Where is that written? As a Christian, we believe Jesus is God, not another God or in addition to the God the Father. In order to understand it easier, think of it like an egg. There are 3 parts-yolk, white and the shell. When you order eggs at a restaurant, do you say I want yolks and whites? No, you say I would like some eggs. That is like what God represents, 3 in 1.

As a Christian, we want others to know the joy we have and that is why I speak to people about my beliefs, not to condemn anyone. I know there are many people who sit on their high horse, but Jesus says He will know us by our works- as we want to do what He commands, not that we have to in order to be saved.

Christ talks about baptism in many verses, but it is not required for salvation as it is a work if it is done physically. It is meant to show others our  faith or our covenant with Jesus,  following Christ's teachings.  When you accept Him as Lord and Savior, He baptizes you with the Holy Spirit-Mathew 3:11. That is the baptism that saves. Let's take a  look at Nicodemus when he asked Jesus about being born again.  John 3:5 speaks of water and baptism, true, but you have to look at the next verse, (John 3:6), where Jesus explains when He talks about "that which is born of the  flesh is flesh and  that which is born of the  spirit is spirit". What did Paul say to the jailer about being saved-Acts 16:27-34. If baptism was part of salvation, why did Paul not state that. Was he mistaken? I would think not as he was very close to Jesus. Was there a different standard then and now? There could not be, as it would mean God changes His mind and the bible is ever changing, of which it does not.

The  thief on the cross is an excellent example of faith in salvation. We can't change one  standard/way of salvation  to another when it comes to the thief. No where in the bible does it say the thief was treated differently, he believed and was saved. If we add a work, which by a physical movement which water would be, then how does grace save us? If we add a work then what does Ephesians 2:8 and 9 mean? Is there a controversy? For example, what about prisoners in jail who have no access to a water baptism, are they allowed to enter the kingdom of heaven without the water baptism? Let's say they have access, but die prior to getting it, are they not saved because of a work?

Like others have said, only God knows your heart. Do not look at men for a reason to be comforted, look only to God. He is the only example we have.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
By that same argument the Mother of God then would be free from sin before he was even born. Yes?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!
There has only been ONE that was free from sin.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!

By His own nature, yes.

Otherwise, no.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you deny that Jesus forgave the thief's sins on the spot before either one of them died?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Absolutely not! But there seems to be some disagreement as to how that happened.

My 'call an audible' comment was meant to highlight how Jesus never changes and directed at this quote of yours:
The classic thief-on-the-cross argument, which completely fails to recognize that Jesus had all authority to forgive sins. That worked out nicely for the thief on the cross, but we don't have the luxury of the Word incarnate dwelling among us these days.
What does that part highlighted in green mean exactly? You have been beating the drum of obedience=baptize with water. How could the gospel demand water baptism (according to you), then Jesus make an exception for one guy? Sorry, but a Nixonian "Well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal" reply doesn't cut it.

In this last post, you seem to be telling me that, when I say that Peter, preaching under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, commanded the Jews on the Day of Pentecost to be baptized for the remission of sins, I am not obeying the gospel. Is that correct?

When I say that Jesus taught, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved," and teach that we have to believe and be baptized to be saved, are you telling me that I am guilty of not obeying the gospel?

No. I'm saying you're failing to recognize the mechanism (for lack of a better term) of salvation isn't something physical, the focus is always on the spiritual. Grace, forgiveness, belief, trust, etc...

1 Peter 3:21. Water baptism is symbolic of the spiritual. John 6:63
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Miss that point, and you inadvertently accuse Jesus himself of not obeying the gospel with the thief on the cross. How could Jesus exercise "all authority" and forgive the man's sins? The only way is Mark 1:15 Repent and believe the gospel.

Clearly Jesus is incapable of violating His own word, so we must conclude that we are saved no differently than the thief on the cross.

Luke 23:39-42
Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.” But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? “And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#39]
You seem to have casted a pretty broad stroke of the pen on Christians.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure how you got that out of what was posted. Though I did chuckle a bit as I hit the 'Submit' button. All those solas... I'm gonna hear from TWIRE
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The Biblesays that by their works, ye shall know them. As such, the best advice I can offer is to live your life in a manner that gets noticed for being charitable, upright, etc. That alone will bring some people to your attention because they will notice you're not like everyone else.
The very last thing we need to be is loud or judgmental. We can explain what we believe without beating them over the heads for it. After all, the story of Christ is a very uplifting one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You plant the seed and let God work. We don't save people, He does. It's not about us.
We live in a great time where even science is on the cusp of revealing Him. The problem is that many don't want to consider God, and will reject Him regardless of evidence, personal, scientific, or otherwise.
Look up the theories on simulated reality (here's one; read the comments too).

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

No!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No!

I have had multiple conversations with protestant fundamentalists in which they are 'saved' and therefore 'free from sin.'

So why would you deny that to the Mother of God? By the grace of God she conceived of the Holy Spirit, her act of obedience was solely base on faith. Faith and grace. Pretty simple formula.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have had multiple conversations with protestant fundamentalists in which they are 'saved' and therefore 'free from sin.'

So why would you deny that to the Mother of God? By the grace of God she conceived of the Holy Spirit, her act of obedience was solely base on faith. Faith and grace. Pretty simple formula.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!

She was freed from the law of sin and death, by her faith in the death, burial and resurrection of the Messiah.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I appreciate those who have offered their opinions and positions with kindness and love.  As for all the dissension among the many Christians who have different interpretations of the Bible and  feel the need to correct others with a different view I think I'll continue to stay out of organized religion and continue to pray and meditate daily, and to do my best with respect to being a decent, loving, human being and following the golden rule.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I appreciate those who have offered their opinions and positions with kindness and love.  As for all the dissension among the many Christians who have different interpretations of the Bible and  feel the need to correct others with a different view I think I'll continue to stay out of organized religion and continue to pray and meditate daily, and to do my best with respect to being a decent, loving, human being and following the golden rule.
View Quote

The thing you need to understand about the Bible is that it is written for people of different ages, cultures, socio-economic classes, education, outlooks and so on. We love to debate and argue the subject, but the one fact that cannot be denied is that God came down and made Himself a sacrifice to atone for the sins of man. Everything else is peripheral.

Myself, I don't like going to church; but that doesn't mean I cannot love God or connect with other believers.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top