Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2015 3:51:18 PM EDT
can smeone point me in the direction of a link that has important church history events?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

can smeone point me in the direction of a link that has important church history events?
View Quote
Whose version are you looking for? LOL

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the thing she didn't specify. Non catholic I guess but conservative though the catholics have some of the best from what i can tell
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Church history is long and involved.  Basic timelines are, by nature, going to leave a lot of important things out.

Try these books.  Not too basic, not too heavy.  Just about right for an intro into Christian history.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Careful looking at timelines my friend. It might beg you to start asking questions
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:09:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]

That's as close to reality as I've seen.

I ran across a very interesting otimeline which shows the CoC's version, including some 1400 years of 'church in the wilderness.'..

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats the thing she didn't specify. Non catholic I guess but conservative though the catholics have some of the best from what i can tell
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres a reason for that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1

A year ago I was Protestant, now I'm Eastern Orthodox...  

Probably not the timeline you're looking for, but important none the less.

http://i.imgur.com/Ir7AhOF.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Careful looking at timelines my friend. It might beg you to start asking questions

+1

So the Protestant "Reformation" (which was supposed to bring back "real" Christianity) resulted in no fewer than 16 different denominations (according to that graph).

Interesting...
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

That one is historically correct.  Any depiction like that could not possibly include all the offshoots that there are today, but it tells the story well at a glance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would love to hear your story sometime. (Prot to catholic here)

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/Inverness11/B48A88AA-3A8B-4982-8860-3A96EE2E8EB8_zps4qinqxkt.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/Inverness11/B48A88AA-3A8B-4982-8860-3A96EE2E8EB8_zps4qinqxkt.jpg

This, as a Methodist ---> Roman Catholic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here's an abbreviated version of my story, the real thing is best in person and a lot longer but I feel that people can fill in any blanks here.

Last year I was on a deployment that involved almost 11 months on a ship.  I grew up Presbyterian and was non denominational as an adult so I obviously went to protestant services while deployed.  When you get multiple denominations in a room together to talk about the bible a lot of disagreements come about.  I'm mostly talking about Primary Non-Essentials but it was enough to put me off.  I said to myself: What did the original Christians think?  That's when I started looking into church history and asked another question: What did Martin Luther think of the Orthodox Church when breaking away from the Catholic Church.  This question started a journey into Orthodoxy and it's now my home.

All of the Catholics in my life have celebrated my decision while some Protestants have given me a hard time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an abbreviated version of my story, the real thing is best in person and a lot longer but I feel that people can fill in any blanks here.

Last year I was on a deployment that involved almost 11 months on a ship.  I grew up Presbyterian and was non denominational as an adult so I obviously went to protestant services while deployed.  When you get multiple denominations in a room together to talk about the bible a lot of disagreements come about.  I'm mostly talking about Primary Non-Essentials but it was enough to put me off.  I said to myself: What did the original Christians think?  That's when I started looking into church history and asked another question: What did Martin Luther think of the Orthodox Church when breaking away from the Catholic Church.  This question started a journey into Orthodoxy and it's now my home.

All of the Catholics in my life have celebrated my decision while some Protestants have given me a hard time.  

Slightly off track...that website made my brain hurt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm afraid that website is incorrect about Roman Catholicism and Salvation through Grace. That said, the idea that grace comes from faith alone is not supported by the entirety of Scripture, which is why the RCC does not follow "sola Fide".
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top