Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 11:51:34 PM EDT
I ran upon some things in the bible that contradicted one another. I'm wondering if someone can refute, and or show me where I'm going wrong in these contradictions. If you're able to give references please do.

Is it okay to marry unbelievers?

Yes 1st Corinthians 7:12-14
No 2 Corinthians 6:14-17

Is there an unforgiveable sin?

Yes Matthews 12:31-32, Mark 3: 29, Luke 12:10
Not Acts 13:39

Did Jesus say he would "destroy the temple and build it again in three days?"
Yes John 2:19-21
No Matthew 26:59-61, Mark 14:57-58

Where did Jesus tell his disciples to go after his resurrection
Go to Galilee- Matthew 28:10, Mark 16:17
Stay in Jerusalem: Luke 24:49, Acts 1:4

Was Jesus the son of David?
Yes- Acts 2:30, Acts 13:23, Romans 1:3, 2 Timothy 2:8 Rev 22:16
no- Matthew 22:45 Mark 12:35-37

Was Jesus all powerful
Yes- Matthew 28:18
No Matthew 20:23, Mark 6:5

Also Mark and John have differing accounts of when Jesus threw out the money changers.
Mark and John have differing accounts of when Jesus dies
Mark and John have differing accounts of the last supper
Matthew and Luke have differing accounts of where Jesus was born

The only account of a census at that time where you have to return to your ancestors from 1000 years before the birthplace is in Luke. Roman census were well documented, non like that ever occured. If the gospels are correct that Jesus was born during Herod's reign then Luke can no also be right that it happened when Quiinus was Governor of Syrian 6 AD Herod died in 4 BC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I ran upon some things in the bible that contradicted one another. I'm wondering if someone can refute, and or show me where I'm going wrong in these contradictions. If you're able to give references please do.

Yes 1st Corinthians 7:12-14 - discusses an existing marriage with an unbeliever. Paul recognizes that a marriage with an unbeliever is not good, but it happens anyway. Marriage itself is a holy arrangement from the Lord and takes priority over the dissolution of a marriage with an unbeliever.
No 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 - this specifically refers to idolatry, but is often used to refer to marriage also within the term "yoked." See explanation above. There are numerous areas that Paul speaks of marriage and all should be considered in context.

This is an area with an abundance of theological opinions. Mark 3:28 should be included in this "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme..." The Holy Spirit is that which convicts us of our sin so that we may recognize our need for salvation and accept Christ as Lord that we may receive forgiveness. To blaspheme the Holy Spirit in this context is to reject His authority ultimately rejecting Christ as a savior and not receiving eternal forgiveness of sin. There is quite a bit of disagreement on this point among various theologians. Many see the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit as a specific action with eternal consequences.

This is my opinion, but this isn't exactly a contradiction unless you are to take Jesus' own words within the same sentence as a contradiction. Mark 3:28-29 is a great example.

Back to NIV = "Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin."

So why would Jesus, within the same sentence, say that all sins would be forgiven but not all sins would be forgiven unless the latter portion of the statement referred to something different? Acts 13:39 is a continuation of the concept laid out in the first part of the verse. Sin is that which seperates us from God, but after Christ's sacrifice there is no sin that separates us from God any longer. All that could stand in the way is our refusal to accept his atonement for us which has eternal consequences.

Matthew 26 and Mark 14 you will need to reread. Those statements are the accounts of the false witnesses who were testifying against Jesus. Obviously, the false witnesses were lying about what Jesus said. His actual statement, as outlined in John 2, is "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." We know he meant himself as the temple.

Jesus was with the disciples for 40 days following his resurrection. You have to read closely, but he appeared to his disciples in Jerusalem immediately after his resurrection and instructed them to meet with him in Galilee (Jesus had also said at the last supper that he would go before them to Galillee and they would meet him there). It is a matter of timing of the verses. Galilee was a good distance North of Jerusalem and Jesus met with them there and later returned to the Mt. of Olives in Judea at his ascension. The disciples were to go into Jerusalem until they received the gifts of the spirit.

Matthew 22 and Mark 12 is Jesus referring to his deity. The Jewish Pharisees were expecting an earthly messiah that would deliver them from their enemies and make them earthly conquerers. Their expectation was for an earthly king. This wasn't what the Lord had in mind. Jesus is not saying that he is not in the line of David, he is saying that he is God's Son but also God himself. For why would David refer to his son as Lord? That doesn't make sense according to Jewish custom. David would not refer to his son as Lord, but would refer to God as Lord.

Was Jesus all powerful

I'm not certain of the theological siginificance of this but just an observation = Matthew 28 was post resurrection, Matthew 20 and Mark 6 were pre-resurrection.

Matthew 20 is getting into a whole slew of theology surrounding the Holy Trinity. Jesus at one point even states "No one but the Father knows the day or the hour" delineating the seperation between the Father and the Son, yet they are one and the same. There is little agreement on how this works, but I'm not so sure it is for us to know.

Mark 6 is an interesting section. Jesus speaks at the Synagogue but the people don't like him and are offended by him. "He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6 He was amazed at their lack of faith." To me it reads more like it wasn't that Jesus could not do any miracles there, because he did do miracles there in healing the sick by laying hands on them. It looks more like he chose not to do anything more significant for that group of people because their hearts were hardened.

Prior to the resurrection Jesus calmed the disciples by saying in Matthew 26:53 "Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?” Again this is pre-resurrection and God the Father would be the one to call the legions of angels into action, but this is more into the Trinity which is a bit above my pay grade

Also Mark and John have differing accounts of when Jesus threw out the money changers.
Mark and John have differing accounts of the last supper - the last supper is not spoken of in John. John 13 is just before the passover, Mark 14 is the last supper during the passover.

Matthew and Luke have differing accounts of where Jesus was born - How so? They both say he was born in Bethlehem in Judea.

The only account of a census at that time where you have to return to your ancestors from 1000 years before the birthplace is in Luke. Roman census were well documented, non like that ever occured. If the gospels are correct that Jesus was born during Herod's reign then Luke can no also be right that it happened when Quiinus was Governor of Syrian 6 AD Herod died in 4 BC.

Here is a good link to address this question.

Jesus' birth

I would add that Roman record keeping was quite good, but issue arises because we don't have most of those records. I have heard it said that "Jesus never existed because we don't have a Roman record of him." A common argument used to be that the Gospels could not be accurate because there we had no Roman record of Pontius Pilate. That argument was demolished in the 1960s when an archeological find showed us that Pontius Pilate did, in fact, exist and at the same time as the crucifixion. I find it interesting that there is a limited record of a prominent Roman official, yet we can't believe in Christ because there was no record of a poor Jewish carpenter with no possessions.

View Quote

I will have to get to the rest later. Hope this helps.

Edited to add link to bottom question and additional answers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes 1st Corinthians 7:12-14
No 2 Corinthians 6:14-17

Go to Galilee- Matthew 28:10, Mark 16:17---Literal half brothers: James and Jude
Stay in Jerusalem: Luke 24:49, Acts 1:4---Receive the Holy Spirit---prophetic for all who would disciple after Jesus ascended.

Was Jesus all powerful

Mark and John have differing accounts of the last supper
Matthew and Luke have differing accounts of where Jesus was born

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
1 Corinthians 7:12-14 is talking about people that are already married and one of them becomes a believer. I'll try to get to the others in a little while.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The unforgivable sin is claiming that Jesus did not perform his miracles by the Holy Spirit, but by satan. As a believer in Christ it would be impossible to commit this sin.
The question I have is if a nonbeliever said it and then became a believer, would they be forgiven?  
ETA: some say that people have to hold that belief until they are dead for it not to be forgiven. Doesn't really make sense because they obviously were never saved and don't claim Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Keep in mind that Jesus was responding to the Pharisees claiming that he was driving out demons by the power of Beelzebub when he made the statement about the unforgivable sin. There may be something there that we don't exactly see, that someone in that time period would have.

This is a very trivial verse, but I don't worry about it much.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Well stated.
But for literal clarity, well examined.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Jesus, according to the bible, cleared the temple 2 different times.

"Jesus’ first cleansing of the temple is described in John 2:11-12 as having occurred just after Jesus’ first miracle, the turning of water into wine at the wedding in Cana. John makes it clear that it was “after this” that He went to Capernaum, where He “stayed for a few days.” Then in the next verse (v. 13), John tells us that the “Passover of the Jews was at hand” (NKJV). These verses trace Jesus’ movement over a short period of time from Cana in Galilee to Capernaum and eventually to Jerusalem for the Passover. This is the first of the two times Jesus cleansed the temple. The synoptic Gospels do not record the temple cleansing mentioned in John 2, instead only recording the temple cleansing that occured during Passion Week.

The second cleansing of the temple occurred just after Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem the last week of His life. This second cleansing is recorded in Matthew, Mark and Luke, but not in John. There are differences in the two events, aside from their being nearly three years apart. In the first cleansing, temple officials confronted Jesus immediately (John 2:18), whereas in the second cleansing, the chief priests and scribes confronted Him the following day (Matthew 21:17-23). In the first event, Jesus made a whip of cords with which to drive out the sellers, but there is no mention of a whip in the second cleansing. So there are two recorded occasions when Jesus cleansed the temple—the first time at the beginning of His public ministry, and the second time just after His triumphal entry into Jerusalem shortly before He was crucified."

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if someone can refute, and or show me where I'm going wrong in these contradictions. If you're able to give references please do.
View Quote

Looks like others have corrected your exegesis, as to where you are going wrong, it seems to be based in what appears to be an intent to misinterpret Scripture
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks like others have corrected your exegesis, as to where you are going wrong, it seems to be based in what appears to be an intent to misinterpret Scripture
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm wondering if someone can refute, and or show me where I'm going wrong in these contradictions. If you're able to give references please do.

Now, now. Let's take the OP's questions at face value unless other intentions make themselves clear. These are legitimate questions that we should provide an answer for.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now, now. Let's take the OP's questions at face value unless other intentions make themselves clear. These are legitimate questions that we should provide an answer for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. I believe they are legitimate questions. I will go over more on the rebuttal to my questions over the weekend. I've been so busy, I haven't been able to do any reading. However I do appreciate the responses and I'm looking forward going over them. However I have more contradictions that I've found and since you guys have been more then happy to answer I will put them down for you guys to rebut.

Difference in Matthews v John in Matthews not a word about Jesus being God, however in John Jesus was God since the beginning.

In Matthew Jesus teaches about coming of kingdom of God and never about his divine nature, in John teaches almost exclusively about his divinity

In Matthew Jesus refuses to perform miracles to prove his identity, however in John Almost the only reason he performs miracles (signs) is to prove his divinity.

As for the authors of the bible I'm wondering if you could answer theses. None of the books are first person accounts the titles aren't even original. The Gospels titles were added by later church fathers. No books from the time were titled "according to" Take for example Matthew it reads in 3rd person  it says "He" not "I" & refers to Jesus and Apostles as "they" not "we"

Of the 27 books of the the NT only 8 are almost certainly written by who they're accredited to.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thank you. I believe they are legitimate questions. I will go over more on the rebuttal to my questions over the weekend. I've been so busy, I haven't been able to do any reading. However I do appreciate the responses and I'm looking forward going over them. However I have more contradictions that I've found and since you guys have been more then happy to answer I will put them down for you guys to rebut.

Difference in Matthews v John in Matthews not a word about Jesus being God, however in John Jesus was God since the beginning.

Just off the top of my head, see my comment above regarding the "Was Jesus the son of David?" Matthew 22 is just one instance of Jesus as God. You have to keep in mind that the Gospels were not written to be identical accounts, they were written with audiences in mind. Matthew was Jewish, and intended to convey his account to the Jewish people that rejected Christ as the Messiah. One might choose their words more carefully and suggest Jesus as God in a more subtle fashion when speaking of Jesus to the Jewish people. This should be kept in mind with all of the questions below.

In Matthew Jesus teaches about coming of kingdom of God and never about his divine nature, in John teaches almost exclusively about his divinity

In Matthew Jesus refuses to perform miracles to prove his identity, however in John Almost the only reason he performs miracles (signs) is to prove his divinity.

As for the authors of the bible I'm wondering if you could answer theses. None of the books are first person accounts the titles aren't even original. The Gospels titles were added by later church fathers. No books from the time were titled "according to" Take for example Matthew it reads in 3rd person  it says "He" not "I" & refers to Jesus and Apostles as "they" not "we"

Of the 27 books of the the NT only 8 are almost certainly written by who they're accredited to.

As for the authors and their originality, I believe in regards to these the proper method would be for you to present the evidence as to why you think the real authors weren't who we think they are. What I have found is the typical scholar that likes to refute Biblical authorship generally has very limited evidence. The significance of which is entirely blown out of proportion. The Gospels were indeed eye witness accounts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just off the top of my head, see my comment above regarding the "Was Jesus the son of David?" Matthew 22 is just one instance of Jesus as God. You have to keep in mind that the Gospels were not written to be identical accounts, they were written with audiences in mind. Matthew was Jewish, and intended to convey his account to the Jewish people that rejected Christ as the Messiah. One might choose their words more carefully and suggest Jesus as God in a more subtle fashion when speaking of Jesus to the Jewish people. This should be kept in mind with all of the questions below.

As for the authors and their originality, I believe in regards to these the proper method would be for you to present the evidence as to why you think the real authors weren't who we think they are. What I have found is the typical scholar that likes to refute Biblical authorship generally has very limited evidence. The significance of which is entirely blown out of proportion. The Gospels were indeed eye witness accounts.

Which book are you getting all this from? I seem to remember a certain author making all of these claims on a national tv show recently. I know there are plenty of scholarly refutations circulating out there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Which book are you getting all this from? I seem to remember a certain author making all of these claims on a national tv show recently. I know there are plenty of scholarly refutations circulating out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm debating an acquaintance at work. I'm a believer, but I'm a new believer. I haven't had the chance to study, but I was able to read what he gave me, and found these "contradictions". I know it may be wrong but I'm using you guys to help me to be able to defend Christ. He's trampling Christ in front of people, and no one is there to defend Christ. These people have a chance to hear about God. I have some decent knowledge, but I'm not familiar with a lot of the text.

He uses Barth Ehrman as his references. Just like I'm going to use some of you guys, plus I'm going to do the research myself over the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm debating an acquaintance at work. I'm a believer, but I'm a new believer. I haven't had the chance to study, but I was able to read what he gave me, and found these "contradictions". I know it may be wrong but I'm using you guys to help me to be able to defend Christ. He's trampling Christ in front of people, and no one is there to defend Christ. These people have a chance to hear about God. I have some decent knowledge, but I'm not familiar with a lot of the text.

He uses Barth Ehrman as his references. Just like I'm going to use some of you guys, plus I'm going to do the research myself over the weekend.
View Quote

Ah, that is who I had in mind. He was recently on the Colbert Report and Stephen Colbert had a very good heckle at this guy. I will look up some more info on him.

Edit:

Here is a good source with some information regarding a couple of debates with Ehrman. I'd been wanting to research this guy further since I saw the clip of him on Colbert so this will be a good exercise.

linky
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes 1st Corinthians 7:12-14 - discusses an existing marriage with an unbeliever. Paul recognizes that a marriage with an unbeliever is not good, but it happens anyway. Marriage itself is a holy arrangement from the Lord and takes priority over the dissolution of a marriage with an unbeliever.
No 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 - this specifically refers to idolatry, but is often used to refer to marriage also within the term "yoked." See explanation above. There are numerous areas that Paul speaks of marriage and all should be considered in context.

This is an area with an abundance of theological opinions. Mark 3:28 should be included in this "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme..." The Holy Spirit is that which convicts us of our sin so that we may recognize our need for salvation and accept Christ as Lord that we may receive forgiveness. To blaspheme the Holy Spirit in this context is to reject His authority ultimately rejecting Christ as a savior and not receiving eternal forgiveness of sin. There is quite a bit of disagreement on this point among various theologians. Many see the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit as a specific action with eternal consequences.

This is my opinion, but this isn't exactly a contradiction unless you are to take Jesus' own words within the same sentence as a contradiction. Mark 3:28-29 is a great example.

Back to NIV = "Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin."

So why would Jesus, within the same sentence, say that all sins would be forgiven but not all sins would be forgiven unless the latter portion of the statement referred to something different? Acts 13:39 is a continuation of the concept laid out in the first part of the verse. Sin is that which seperates us from God, but after Christ's sacrifice there is no sin that separates us from God any longer. All that could stand in the way is our refusal to accept his atonement for us which has eternal consequences.

Matthew 26 and Mark 14 you will need to reread. Those statements are the accounts of the false witnesses who were testifying against Jesus. Obviously, the false witnesses were lying about what Jesus said. His actual statement, as outlined in John 2, is "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." We know he meant himself as the temple.

Jesus was with the disciples for 40 days following his resurrection. You have to read closely, but he appeared to his disciples in Jerusalem immediately after his resurrection and instructed them to meet with him in Galilee (Jesus had also said at the last supper that he would go before them to Galillee and they would meet him there). It is a matter of timing of the verses. Galilee was a good distance North of Jerusalem and Jesus met with them there and later returned to the Mt. of Olives in Judea at his ascension. The disciples were to go into Jerusalem until they received the gifts of the spirit.

Matthew 22 and Mark 12 is Jesus referring to his deity. The Jewish Pharisees were expecting an earthly messiah that would deliver them from their enemies and make them earthly conquerers. Their expectation was for an earthly king. This wasn't what the Lord had in mind. Jesus is not saying that he is not in the line of David, he is saying that he is God's Son but also God himself. For why would David refer to his son as Lord? That doesn't make sense according to Jewish custom. David would not refer to his son as Lord, but would refer to God as Lord.

Was Jesus all powerful

I'm not certain of the theological siginificance of this but just an observation = Matthew 28 was post resurrection, Matthew 20 and Mark 6 were pre-resurrection.

Matthew 20 is getting into a whole slew of theology surrounding the Holy Trinity. Jesus at one point even states "No one but the Father knows the day or the hour" delineating the seperation between the Father and the Son, yet they are one and the same. There is little agreement on how this works, but I'm not so sure it is for us to know.

Mark 6 is an interesting section. Jesus speaks at the Synagogue but the people don't like him and are offended by him. "He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6 He was amazed at their lack of faith." To me it reads more like it wasn't that Jesus could not do any miracles there, because he did do miracles there in healing the sick by laying hands on them. It looks more like he chose not to do anything more significant for that group of people because their hearts were hardened.

Prior to the resurrection Jesus calmed the disciples by saying in Matthew 26:53 "Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?” Again this is pre-resurrection and God the Father would be the one to call the legions of angels into action, but this is more into the Trinity which is a bit above my pay grade

Also Mark and John have differing accounts of when Jesus threw out the money changers. - this is an interesting one that, to be honest, I hadn't heard before because it is assumed that the accounts in Matthew, Mark, and Luke refer to the same event as in John due to the fact that each Gospel only gives an account of this type of event once. Upon further study, the obvious answer is that the event in John was a seperate event. Matthew, Mark, and Luke do not mention Jesus constructing a whip and after turning over the tables he stated "It is written, 'AND MY HOUSE SHALL BE A HOUSE OF PRAYER,' but you have made it a ROBBERS' DEN." However, the account in John, Jesus says "Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” Jesus and the disciples traveled constantly and there is no reason to believe Jesus did not do this on a number of occasions. The inconsistency here is not in the text, its in the assumptions we have traditionally made about the text.

Mark and John have differing accounts of the last supper - the last supper is not spoken of in John. John 13 is just before the passover, Mark 14 is the last supper during the passover.

Matthew and Luke have differing accounts of where Jesus was born - How so? They both say he was born in Bethlehem in Judea.

Jesus' birth

I would add that Roman record keeping was quite good, but issue arises because we don't have most of those records. I have heard it said that "Jesus never existed because we don't have a Roman record of him." A common argument used to be that the Gospels could not be accurate because there we had no Roman record of Pontius Pilate. That argument was demolished in the 1960s when an archeological find showed us that Pontius Pilate did, in fact, exist and at the same time as the crucifixion. I find it interesting that there is a limited record of a prominent Roman official, yet we can't believe in Christ because there was no record of a poor Jewish carpenter with no possessions.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:He uses Barth Ehrman as his references. Just like I'm going to use some of you guys, plus I'm going to do the research myself over the weekend.
View Quote
I've been saving this bookmark for some time now. refuting Bart
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Does not really matter.  It is a mashup and faked document.  The bible is not a history book nor factual.  

Please people, read all of it before you decide it to be a guide for your life.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does not really matter.  It is a mashup and faked document.  The bible is not a history book nor factual.  

View Quote

it was the Illuminati right? Could be George W. Bush's fault as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was Jesus all powerful

Also Mark and John have differing accounts of when Jesus threw out the money changers. - this is an interesting one that, to be honest, I hadn't heard before because it is assumed that the accounts in Matthew, Mark, and Luke refer to the same event as in John due to the fact that each Gospel only gives an account of this type of event once. Upon further study, the obvious answer is that the event in John was a seperate event. Matthew, Mark, and Luke do not mention Jesus constructing a whip and after turning over the tables he stated "It is written, 'AND MY HOUSE SHALL BE A HOUSE OF PRAYER,' but you have made it a ROBBERS' DEN." However, the account in John, Jesus says "Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” Jesus and the disciples traveled constantly and there is no reason to believe Jesus did not do this on a number of occasions. The inconsistency here is not in the text, its in the assumptions we have traditionally made about the text.

Jesus' birth

thanks for your reply's Justice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
"He uses Barth Ehrman as his references."

Ah, well, that may might be what I picked up on in your questions, then.  My apologies if I came across improperly.  Modern textual criticism is hokey stuff with completely different and unbiblical presuppositions through which the text is judged and necessarily the canonicity of it all.  No other discipline in life approaches their particular discipline upon principles completely alien to it and brought forward and advanced by a group of people also alien to the discipline.  Modern biblical textual criticism does though, nobody elected and nobody ordained these university men to be biblical critics, rather they appointed themselves and selected their own unbelieving presuppositions and methodologies upon which to judge Scripture, presuppositions and methodologies which preclude in many instances the very basis of canonicity of the text recognized by the Christian Church for centuries upon centuries as indisputable evidences of Providential Preservation.  Hence, once that is both disturbed and rejected then every place some scribbles of biblical text is found they are considered, by the modern textual critics, to be some gold mine in which the so-called "original text" can be reconstructed by their self-elevated superiority.  If one stands upon the historic Christian faith, though, Scripture is received as a self-attesting body.  Christians receive the Gospel by faith, they also receive the Scripture by faith - this does not mean unintelligent, uncritical, unreasonable or any of the other atheistic and humanistic allegations leveled by modern critics.  Rather, it does mean that we have our own presuppositions and methodologies with historical continuity in which we recognize the Providential Preservation of Scripture and reject non-canonical evidences.  For example, a papyrus that may have had a copy of some particular book, but erased and then some other novel written upon it, does not serve as a trustworthy repository of evidence in which Christians recognize an authoritative text.  It simply means that someone copied a book from Scripture, erased it and then wrote some other book on that papyrus - and that is all it means.  In turn, treating that papyrus chemically to uncover what was at one time written on it does not serve as an authoritative text whereby we are going to judge the trustworthy repository of Scripture and start changing it to match this esoteric find in somebody's closet.  Like I said, no other discpline in life approaches their field of study upon completely arcane and ridiculous presuppositions as modern biblical criticism.

I would suggest since you are a new Christian, and I don't mean this in a condemning way, but not adept at handling Scripture yet, let alone the sophisticated attacks by the world upon it which has been an organized and systematic institutions within the university now for several centuries; that you need to be studing to sure up your footing in the faith.  Do what you can from where you are at in the circumstances you are in to apologetically defend it, but don't try to argue text criticism with a non-believer.

If you were a new recruit into the army, that hadn't even completed basic training, who would put promote you to a high ranking officer and put you in charge of fighting battles?  They wouldn't would they?  Not only that they wouldn't put you on the front lines as a grunt either, neither does God.  Hence, you may want to consider that our adversary, the ole deluder, is preying upon you with this fellow at work.  Protect your heart.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"He uses Barth Ehrman as his references."

Ah, well, that may might be what I picked up on in your questions, then.  My apologies if I came across improperly.  Modern textual criticism is hokey stuff with completely different and unbiblical presuppositions through which the text is judged and necessarily the canonicity of it all.  No other discipline in life approaches their particular discipline upon principles completely alien to it and brought forward and advanced by a group of people also alien to the discipline.  Modern biblical textual criticism does though, nobody elected and nobody ordained these university men to be biblical critics, rather they appointed themselves and selected their own unbelieving presuppositions and methodologies upon which to judge Scripture, presuppositions and methodologies which preclude in many instances the very basis of canonicity of the text recognized by the Christian Church for centuries upon centuries as indisputable evidences of Providential Preservation.  Hence, once that is both disturbed and rejected then every place some scribbles of biblical text is found they are considered, by the modern textual critics, to be some gold mine in which the so-called "original text" can be reconstructed by their self-elevated superiority.  If one stands upon the historic Christian faith, though, Scripture is received as a self-attesting body.  Christians receive the Gospel by faith, they also receive the Scripture by faith - this does not mean unintelligent, uncritical, unreasonable or any of the other atheistic and humanistic allegations leveled by modern critics.  Rather, it does mean that we have our own presuppositions and methodologies with historical continuity in which we recognize the Providential Preservation of Scripture and reject non-canonical evidences.  For example, a papyrus that may have had a copy of some particular book, but erased and then some other novel written upon it, does not serve as a trustworthy repository of evidence in which Christians recognize an authoritative text.  It simply means that someone copied a book from Scripture, erased it and then wrote some other book on that papyrus - and that is all it means.  In turn, treating that papyrus chemically to uncover what was at one time written on it does not serve as an authoritative text whereby we are going to judge the trustworthy repository of Scripture and start changing it to match this esoteric find in somebody's closet.  Like I said, no other discpline in life approaches their field of study upon completely arcane and ridiculous presuppositions as modern biblical criticism.

I would suggest since you are a new Christian, and I don't mean this in a condemning way, but not adept at handling Scripture yet, let alone the sophisticated attacks by the world upon it which has been an organized and systematic institutions within the university now for several centuries; that you need to be studing to sure up your footing in the faith.  Do what you can from where you are at in the circumstances you are in to apologetically defend it, but don't try to argue text criticism with a non-believer.

If you were a new recruit into the army, that hadn't even completed basic training, who would put promote you to a high ranking officer and put you in charge of fighting battles?  They wouldn't would they?  Not only that they wouldn't put you on the front lines as a grunt either, neither does God.  Hence, you may want to consider that our adversary, the ole deluder, is preying upon you with this fellow at work.  Protect your heart.
View Quote

I agree. Thanks for the info. I actually  backed off from him, because was trying to trip me up, on things I didn't have the answers for.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your questions have already been answered well, so I won't repeat any of that.

However, here's one word of advice: study your Bible every day. Just read a chapter each morning with coffee, and don't worry if you don't get it.

If you do this consistently, you will be shocked at how simple things become. As your knowledge grows, you will develop "the big picture," which dispels many of the supposed contradictions that non-believers will use to try to evangelize you away from your faith. Consider the whole armor of God:

Ephesians 6:14-17
Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

Note that the truth, the gospel of peace, and the word of God are all pieces of that which protects you from those who would have you abandon your commitment to God. It actually works--the more you know, the more confidence you will have, the less you will be bothered by folks like that guy at work, and the better you'll be able to set him straight.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great. Another evangelist.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will one day regret calling the word of God anything less than perfection which is what it truly is in everything it professes.
It is certainly more alive than anyone of us even has the right to be!
We would all be dead to our trespasses and sins without it.
Thank You Jesus for this godly wisdom and knowledge that You have gracefully bestowed upon Your creation!
Amen

Thanks,

SAE

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am not a believer in the supernatural, but as a blanket statement, I would have to disagree with this. Even if you believe none of the supernatural stuff, there is still historical value to the text.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Supernatural-1. Existing or occurring through some agency beyond the known forces of nature.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#27]
What are the known forces of nature?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am not a believer in the supernatural, but as a blanket statement, I would have to disagree with this. Even if you believe none of the supernatural stuff, there is still historical value to the text.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that St Paul is one of the greatest judges of human nature in the history of literature.

And St Luke's two books are among the best examples of contemporaneous history ever.

The way Internet Atheists see the need to so dramatically overstate their hatred of all things Christian is very.... telling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top