Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look whose trolling now.
View Quote

Still you.

Which exact denomination do you believe is the way, the truth, and the life?

You keep attempting to poke holes in my understanding of the universe, yet you won't share this basic bit about your understanding?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Look whose trolling now.
View Quote

You've obviously chosen to not participate anymore. Or maybe incapable, either way, your debating skills need improvement.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it seems this thread has gotten a little too heated for my blood, so I'm going to get on out of here.

It's not that I have thin skin, far from it. It's for the sake of peace. Jesus never forced himself on anyone and I'm not going to force Him on anyone. I think I've stated my view and I'll leave it at that. If anyone has questions for me please feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, it seems this thread has gotten a little too heated for my blood, so I'm going to get on out of here.

It's not that I have thin skin, far from it. It's for the sake of peace. Jesus never forced himself on anyone and I'm not going to force Him on anyone. I think I've stated my view and I'll leave it at that. If anyone has questions for me please feel free to IM me.
View Quote

Amen
Same deal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know there aint no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell. I'm an agnostic. I would love it if somebody could prove it to me one way or the other.
View Quote

Well my friend, here I am back at square #1 with you.
What kind of proof are you looking for?
The inconclusive sort I would imagine.
Right ztug?
You know, as I remember from the other day, some of the more discourteous posting started just about the time that you posted what you did here.
And this got me to thinking.
There is a kingdom of God, but there is also a kingdom of darkness also.
Whether or not that someone knows that they are actively participating in this realm, or the Devil or Satan's realm in order to stop someone from getting certain kinds of counselling or ministering about God, especially in the form of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will always bring a challenge from that dark side because the Devil id always lurking, just as the has been a member of this board who as been lurking around here for quite a while with a hidden agenda which seems to be in the light now about his or her intentions about attempting to bring the word and kingdom of God to a state of non-effect here because some Christian people here are doing their jobs in order that some people will benefit in the greatest of ways, eternal salvation in Christ forever.
Amen

If you are serious about the facts and details according to your own salvation through the Lord, then IM me or Ledslnger as he is a most capable brother in Christ, and probably a better candidate for Q&A with you than I. However I am always available too.

Thanks

SAE

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never doubted the existence of God, only his goodness.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
He exists. Explain the miracles. Some people just refuse to believe even when they witnessed Jesus performing miracles.

It's the same today. I testified to you on page 2 my own miracle,  yet not any real commentary about it.

He is real.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.

And if one, why not more?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So, its always my fault, never the God who doesn't answer prayers, ROGER THAT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP if you lost your faith because something happened you didn't like then your faith was never strong enough in the first place. God doesn't owe you. You owe him.

So, its always my fault, never the God who doesn't answer prayers, ROGER THAT.

Not necessarily. There is no assurance that you will like the answer to your prayers...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Does God exist? That is the most pertinent question you could ask in this forum.  Every thing else is mere details.

I sincerely hope this thread does not get locked, because it is the most important question.  

After being very religious for 40 years of my life I have decided that he does not exist.  And religion is a crutch that man has needed for most of history, but now with science at its current level, it is no longer needed.  

What say you? And please don't quote scripture to try and prove that God does exist, that is circular reasoning.  

This is a sincere question I have, I have lost my faith and it is one of the best things to have ever happened to me.  

View Quote
You were very religious but do you KNOW Christ?

While you have chosen to reject Christ... Christ will never reject you. That is a God worth getting to know.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

While you have chosen to reject Christ... Christ will never reject you. That is a God worth getting to know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does God exist? That is the most pertinent question you could ask in this forum.  Every thing else is mere details.

I sincerely hope this thread does not get locked, because it is the most important question.  

After being very religious for 40 years of my life I have decided that he does not exist.  And religion is a crutch that man has needed for most of history, but now with science at its current level, it is no longer needed.  

What say you? And please don't quote scripture to try and prove that God does exist, that is circular reasoning.  

This is a sincere question I have, I have lost my faith and it is one of the best things to have ever happened to me.  

But Christ has rejected me.  How many,  many times have I prayed for some righteous desire, only to receive absolutely nothing from above. That is because saying prayers is as effective as talking to the ceiling.  If God really loved me and really wanted me to be a follower, he would let me know he exists. And please don't tell me gods proof is in the flowers or bees or any other natural thing.  

It's kind of like having an absentee father, who isn't really there and doesn't do any normal things a normal father would do, but other people keep telling you that your father is alive and well somewhere. Even if I were to believe that person, what good would  a father like that do for me?

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He exists. Explain the miracles. Some people just refuse to believe even when they witnessed Jesus performing miracles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Explain the miracles? No one witnessed any miracles. There are no eyewitness accounts. The gospels were written long after Jesus death with a healthy dose of plagiarism and 1st century superstitious fanaticism.

It's the same today. I testified to you on page 2 my own miracle,  yet not any real commentary about it.

You really want commentary?

You hurt. Then felt better. Somehow a reasonable person is supposed to accept that as a miracle and therefore irrefutable proof of a deity?

Next you survived a car accident with no injuries, and the only possible answer is a miracle?

Let me clue you in on something: Thousands upon thousands of small children starve to death every single day. It happened yesterday, the day before that, and on and on back through all the many days of your life. It has been going on for many long years before that. I presume many of them cried out to the Lord and then died anyway. You have the audacity and the hubris to claim that your deity saved you. The gall required to make that kind of statement is impressive. Bravo.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote

Tell me more. What other gods are there?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But Christ has rejected me.  How many,  many times have I prayed for some righteous desire, only to receive absolutely nothing from above. That is because saying prayers is as effective as talking to the ceiling.  If God really loved me and really wanted me to be a follower, he would let me know he exists. And please don't tell me gods proof is in the flowers or bees or any other natural thing.  

It's kind of like having an absentee father, who isn't really there and doesn't do any normal things a normal father would do, but other people keep telling you that your father is alive and well somewhere. Even if I were to believe that person, what good would  a father like that do for me?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to share with you a little of my story that has to do with perceived unanswered prayers. Up until three weeks ago I would not have been able to post this.

I did not grow up in church or learning about God. I never stepped foot inside a church until I was sixteen and could drive myself. It only took several months of attending church and reading the bible for me to give my life to Christ. From that point on I prayed that my brother and parents would come to church. I prayed about that for 21 years, and my brother and his family started attending church with me in January. He is now attending liberty university for his masters degree. That was a 1/3 of my prayer answered after 21 years, but not all of it. But, three weeks ago my parents started attending church with me also. Before that they had only been to church twice in my lifetime. Once for my baptism and once for my wife's baptism.

I can't think of a more righteous prayer than to have someone come to know Christ. Yet it took 21 years for the start of that prayer to come true. I did not pressure my family into going, they actually came to me about it and said they wanted to go. That's how I know it was God leading them there and not guilt or pressure from me.

See, it's on God's time, not ours. I've had many many many prayers unanswered and I thank God for those as much as I do for the answered prayers. Actually He did answer them, He said "no".  But I thank Him because He knows what's best. He knows where that prayer will ultimately lead to. It's almost just like we do with our kids, we tell them "no" because we love them and want to protect them. But them being young they don't understand that and they think we're being mean and don't care about them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Explain the miracles? No one witnessed any miracles. There are no eyewitness accounts. The gospels were written long after Jesus death with a healthy dose of plagiarism and 1st century superstitious fanaticism.

You hurt. Then felt better. Somehow a reasonable person is supposed to accept that as a miracle and therefore irrefutable proof of a deity?

Next you survived a car accident with no injuries, and the only possible answer is a miracle?

Let me clue you in on something: Thousands upon thousands of small children starve to death every single day. It happened yesterday, the day before that, and on and on back through all the many days of your life. It has been going on for many long years before that. I presume many of them cried out to the Lord and then died anyway. You have the audacity and the hubris to claim that your deity saved you. The gall required to make that kind of statement is impressive. Bravo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matthew was written before 70 ad. Mark was written about 55 ad. Luke was written between 59 and 63 ad. John was the last to be written at around 85 ad. That's not too many years off. As for the plagiarism thing: prove it. The burden is put on Christians to prove God exists, so the burden is put on you to prove that Jesus never performed any miracles and the gospels were "written with a healthy dose of plagerism and 1st century superstitious fanaticism".   You make the claim, you back it up. I think that's what the unbelievers tell me anyway.

As for the starving kids: my church (not the whole church, people from it) goes to Burkina Faso several times a year to dig wells and provide clean water to the villages. Many times the water is piped directly to the homes so they won't have to make long walks to collect it. These kids suffering is not God's fault, it's our failure. It is our job to help those in need, we are God's hands and feet. He did not create us as robots, He wants us to get with His plan and live our lives with Him. That's what a relationship is after all, spending time with each other.

Now I humbly ask: what are YOU doing for the starving suffering kids?  Anything?  Or is it enough just to blame God?  You can't deny that the vast majority of people that help those in need are Christians. If there is one thing that unites all the denominations of Christianity, it's helping the needy.

I know I said I was out of this thread, and I am when it comes to trying to convince anyone that God exists. I'm only here to defend the scripture against misinformed claims.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems you have your mind made up.

It wasn't just a simple car accident. The force of a car hitting my body enough to throw me around 20 feet through the air would be pretty great. Secondly the impact of my body against another vehicle is what stopped me from flying.

My body smashed the metal of an early 80 ' s model ford tailgate in.

Then my body fell to the ground and rolled into the middle of an interstate lane.

After calling out to the Lord, I got up without a single bruise or scratch on my body.

That is not just a car accident.

That is a miracle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Matthew was written before 70 ad. Mark was written about 55 ad. Luke was written between 59 and 63 ad. John was the last to be written at around 85 ad. That's not too many years off. As for the plagiarism thing: prove it. The burden is put on Christians to prove God exists, so the burden is put on you to prove that Jesus never performed any miracles and the gospels were "written with a healthy dose of plagerism and 1st century superstitious fanaticism".   You make the claim, you back it up. I think that's what the unbelievers tell me anyway.

As for the starving kids: my church (not the whole church, people from it) goes to Burkina Faso several times a year to dig wells and provide clean water to the villages. Many times the water is piped directly to the homes so they won't have to make long walks to collect it. These kids suffering is not God's fault, it's our failure. It is our job to help those in need, we are God's hands and feet. He did not create us as robots, He wants us to get with His plan and live our lives with Him. That's what a relationship is after all, spending time with each other.

Now I humbly ask: what are YOU doing for the starving suffering kids?  Anything?  Or is it enough just to blame God?  You can't deny that the vast majority of people that help those in need are Christians. If there is one thing that unites all the denominations of Christianity, it's helping the needy.

I know I said I was out of this thread, and I am when it comes to trying to convince anyone that God exists. I'm only here to defend the scripture against misinformed claims.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you take the most absolute most positive estimates could you be satisfied with the dates provided. Most biblical scholars and historians put the authorship at decades past your claims. The Catholic Church itself puts the writings at hundreds of years past the time of the alleged events. But let's say you're right, the accounts written closest to the supposed events are still 25+ years out. Lots of things can be written to steer the contents towards the agenda of the day.

The poster I was responding to stated that Jesus performed miracles, how is the burden of proof on me? Prove to me that Allah or Zeus or the tooth fairy don't exist. Many biblical scholars also provide compelling theories about the interdependency of the gospels, I can google/copy/paste pages and pages of that if you're interested. In the end though, that evidence is admittedly also shaky, as definitive analysis of any aspects of the writings depend on a suspension of reason.

And you let the point of global starvation sail right over your head. BlackRifle made the claim that god intervened on his behalf in a direct medical and physical way, for some purpose he has not shared. I find that statement disgusting in light of the suffering and death that happens every day to the most innocent. If He takes action through you, then He is doing a very poor job. 20,000 more died yesterday.

You can't have it both ways, does your god intervene for you in some actual way, or does he take no part? Once you answer that question you have to decide if he is powerless or pitiless (or more likely nonexistent).
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It wasn't just a simple car accident. The force of a car hitting my body enough to throw me around 20 feet through the air would be pretty great. Secondly the impact of my body against another vehicle is what stopped me from flying.

Then my body fell to the ground and rolled into the middle of an interstate lane.

After calling out to the Lord, I got up without a single bruise or scratch on my body.

That is a miracle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a miracle.

People survive car accidents every day. Sometimes very terrible car accidents. Was every one of those events a miracle?

On the flip side more than 30,000 people die in car accidents in the US each year. Does god have a  limit on how many he's interested in saving?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Fyeguy, we are just men. Who are you or I to question God's motives?

He is the Creator of all things.

What happened to me is not just a simple car accident. You are minimalizing what happened to me in order to strengthen  your beliefs. The pharisees did the same thing.

No scratch or  bruise whatsoever...  think about that. The force it takes to toss a 200 lb 6'3" man like a rag doll.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There it is, the predictable get out of jail free card. You stick god to RANDOM events, but then when I point out the randomness of his responses, that can only be rebutted as my lack of understanding.

Just off the top of your head, what do you think is the motive of a god so apathetic towards human life that he's willing to watch thousands of children starve to death every day, even though he has the power to intervene? Could anyone justify that kind of motivation?

Oh, then he also saw fit to cure you of a panic attack and a car accident.

He is the Creator of all things.

A belief that is true, only because He said it was true in the book He wrote.

What happened to me is not just a simple car accident. You are minimalizing what happened to me in order to strengthen  your beliefs. The pharisees did the same thing.

No scratch or  bruise whatsoever...  think about that. The force it takes to toss a 200 lb 6'3" man like a rag doll.

I am not minimizing your claims, I am arguing the requirement for supernatural intervention. What happened to you was an event that was incredible and quite lucky for you. You survived a violent car accident. But don't people survive them all the time, sometimes even babies? On the other hand people also sometimes die in the most innocuous minor fender benders. There's no evidence of supernatural intervention in any of them.

You can attempt to attach god to any event you like, but it puts you on a very slippery slope. If one is to take you at your word based on your testimony, then how can we dispute claims of alien abduction, or fortune telling, or haunted houses,or the Loch Ness Monster? Many of these claims often have 'eyewitness' testimony... doesn't make them any more true or believable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Only if you take the most absolute most positive estimates could you be satisfied with the dates provided. Most biblical scholars and historians put the authorship at decades past your claims. The Catholic Church itself puts the writings at hundreds of years past the time of the alleged events. But let's say you're right, the accounts written closest to the supposed events are still 25+ years out. Lots of things can be written to steer the contents towards the agenda of the day.

The poster I was responding to stated that Jesus performed miracles, how is the burden of proof on me? Prove to me that Allah or Zeus or the tooth fairy don't exist. Many biblical scholars also provide compelling theories about the interdependency of the gospels, I can google/copy/paste pages and pages of that if you're interested. In the end though, that evidence is admittedly also shaky, as definitive analysis of any aspects of the writings depend on a suspension of reason.

And you let the point of global starvation sail right over your head. BlackRifle made the claim that god intervened on his behalf in a direct medical and physical way, for some purpose he has not shared. I find that statement disgusting in light of the suffering and death that happens every day to the most innocent. If He takes action through you, then He is doing a very poor job. 20,000 more died yesterday.

You can't have it both ways, does your god intervene for you in some actual way, or does he take no part? Once you answer that question you have to decide if he is powerless or pitiless (or more likely nonexistent).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name the person who says the gospels were written a century later. I can list some certified authentic historians that say otherwise. If you want another account of Jesus Christ from that of a Jew in the 1st Century, I say you should read Antiquities of the Jews by Flavius Josephus Book 18 Chapter 3. Josephus was a Roman citizen, a Jew, and a historian as well.

As for the bible check out Sir William Ramsay of great Britain.

Who's fault is it that people are starving or dying? God or are own. You sound like my daughter when she was 7. She blamed all her problems that she created for herself on everybody else.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In my life time on this planet I've noticed several types of people when it comes to religion.

Those that were forced into religion by their parents and resent the hypocrisy that surrounded them.
Those that went through the motions because that's what they were taught but have no convictions.
Those that just have a scientific brain and can't imagine this whole thing being anything but scientific.
Those that feel that they don't deserve someone that loves them enough to give them this great gift.
Those that just don't give a shit one way or another.

I like the idea that I have a spiritual father that guides me and gave me one giant space
to expand my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In my life time on this planet I've noticed several types of people when it comes to religion.

Those that were forced into religion by their parents and resent the hypocrisy that surrounded them.
Those that went through the motions because that's what they were taught but have no convictions.
Those that just have a scientific brain and can't imagine this whole thing being anything but scientific.
Those that feel that they don't deserve someone that loves them enough to give them this great gift.

I like the idea that I have a spiritual father that guides me and gave me one giant space
to expand my mind.

Acting as if there's some mind/spirit dualism that makes science/faith a binary choice is questionable.  I'd suggest that an appreciation of nature is a form of appreciation for God (God being the author of all natural processes, after all).

Some people read books in order to find God.  Yet there is a great book, the very order of created things.  Look above you; look below you!  Note it; read it!  God, whom you wish to find, never wrote that book with ink.  Instead, he set before your eyes the things He had made.  Can you ask for a louder voice than that?  Why, heaven and earth cry out to you:  “God made me!”
St Augustine
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Fye, question for you. What was the benefit for the 12 apostles to "make up" Jesus Christ? What was the benefit for Saul of Tarsus to give up all the power he had, to give it all up to become a Christian? What was so great about Christianity that you had prominent men, lawyers, and others to become Christians?

If this was all some BS how come it grew so much as to where the Romans who killed a christian on a whim, become Christians themselves?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Name the person who says the gospels were written a century later. I can list some certified authentic historians that say otherwise. If you want another account of Jesus Christ from that of a Jew in the 1st Century, I say you should read Antiquities of the Jews by Flavius Josephus Book 18 Chapter 3. Josephus was a Roman citizen, a Jew, and a historian as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"the earliest of the extant manuscripts [of the New Testament], it is true, do not date back beyond the middle of the fourth century AD"
--- Catholic Encyclopedia, op. cit., pp. 656-7

And Josephus is a 1st century writer by the hair of his chinny-chin-chin. Antiquities was written in 93-94, at best a full 60 years since Jesus' death.

Who's fault is it that people are starving or dying? God or are own. You sound like my daughter when she was 7. She blamed all her problems that she created for herself on everybody else.

Another failed attempt to twist my words to fit your narrative. I'm not blaming god, I don't believe in him, remember? I am pointing out the ridiculous notion that if god were to exist, that he's taking some active hand and if he's performing any miracles, they're random and impotent.

Logic leads me to believe that such a creature does not exist.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fye, question for you. What was the benefit for the 12 apostles to "make up" Jesus Christ? What was the benefit for Saul of Tarsus to give up all the power he had, to give it all up to become a Christian? What was so great about Christianity that you had prominent men, lawyers, and others to become Christians?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can't speak to their motivations, but it's likely they 'made up' or augmented Jesus' history in an attempt to fit their interpretation of various prophecies. It's not much of a stretch with what we know about a) the crazy things people will believe and b) the long history of groups of people trying to control other groups of people.

If this was all some BS how come it grew so much as to where the Romans who killed a christian on a whim, become Christians themselves?

People have been killing each other on a whim for many thousands of years. I will concede that quite a lot of it has been based on one's religion. If it's not BS then why did Christians burn tens of thousands of witches near the end of the middle ages? Do you believe they were witches and worthy of being burned alive? Or do you concur that superstitions can drive people to perform heinous acts?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? What did you ask for that you didn't get?

No answer is an answer. You mean it didn't turn out the way you wanted?  An all knowing and loving father would not allow His child something that would be counter to your salvation. You were being called to another direction and instead of accepting that or seeking it, you have chosen to refuse that path?

He is never absent from you.

In  the morning you will wake up and Christ will still choose you. He knows the Thomas's of this world. You have to put your fingers in his wounds.

But in your case... you want your way not His Holy Sacrifice. My guess is not once did you ever pray.. God My heavenly Father let Your will be done not mine?

Or My Father through Your Holy Son please show me the way. If this is Your will clear the path for me... These are the only righteous prayers.

This is for you.  I think you are lost not over it. God will find you if you let him.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I often wonder why nonbelievers come to the religion forum. Is it for answers?  Genuine curiosity here, not trying to be argumentative.

View Quote
No. It's for the giggles

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Vishnu, Shiva, Coyote, Odin, Zeuss, etc...

Or do they have any less validity than yours for some reason you won't be able to fully articulate.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Or do they have any less validity than yours for some reason you won't be able to fully articulate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

No, they all have equal validity to me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Most scholars put the dates to around the time that I stated.  I can only imagine where you got your info from.  As for the Catholic date of the New Testament, I'll let a Catholic refute that if it is wrong.  There are plenty here that would know.

You claimed that the New Testament was  "written with a healthy dose of plagerism and 1st century superstitious fanaticism".  I asked you to prove that claim.  
You can't ask me to prove that allah or zeus or the tooth fairy doesn't exist.  If I asked you to prove God doesn't exist you would say the burden of proof is on me.  Can't have it both ways.
You don't have to copy and paste anything, just provide a link.  I'm sure it will be a reputable source.

Nothing went over my head, I know exactly what you were saying.  You were saying that if He saved this one guy, why would He let thousands of others suffer and die?  That is implying that you know for a fact that God has not, and does not, perform any miracles within the group of suffering people you are referring to.  Where's your proof of that?
My answer to that in my earlier post was explaining that it is our job to help people in need.  I would also like to see a source for your 20,000 people that died yesterday.  And yes, WE are doing an unsatisfactory job when it comes to eliminating suffering, but there will always be suffering until we are with Jesus for eternity.  Maybe God decided to bring those supposed 20,000 home to Him where they will suffer no more.  

God does intervene for me and many others, in my opinion.  I don't come to any of the conclusions you have provided here.  You, of course, have come to the "nonexistent" answer.  Fine and dandy with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most scholars put the dates to around the time that I stated.  I can only imagine where you got your info from.  As for the Catholic date of the New Testament, I'll let a Catholic refute that if it is wrong.  There are plenty here that would know.

You claimed that the New Testament was  "written with a healthy dose of plagerism and 1st century superstitious fanaticism".  I asked you to prove that claim.  
You can't ask me to prove that allah or zeus or the tooth fairy doesn't exist.  If I asked you to prove God doesn't exist you would say the burden of proof is on me.  Can't have it both ways.
You don't have to copy and paste anything, just provide a link.  I'm sure it will be a reputable source.

Nothing went over my head, I know exactly what you were saying.  You were saying that if He saved this one guy, why would He let thousands of others suffer and die?  That is implying that you know for a fact that God has not, and does not, perform any miracles within the group of suffering people you are referring to.  Where's your proof of that?
My answer to that in my earlier post was explaining that it is our job to help people in need.  I would also like to see a source for your 20,000 people that died yesterday.  And yes, WE are doing an unsatisfactory job when it comes to eliminating suffering, but there will always be suffering until we are with Jesus for eternity.  Maybe God decided to bring those supposed 20,000 home to Him where they will suffer no more.  

God does intervene for me and many others, in my opinion.  I don't come to any of the conclusions you have provided here.  You, of course, have come to the "nonexistent" answer.  Fine and dandy with me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Acting as if there's some mind/spirit dualism that makes science/faith a binary choice is questionable.  I'd suggest that an appreciation of nature is a form of appreciation for God (God being the author of all natural processes, after all).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

to expand my mind.

Some people read books in order to find God.  Yet there is a great book, the very order of created things.  Look above you; look below you!  Note it; read it!  God, whom you wish to find, never wrote that book with ink.  Instead, he set before your eyes the things He had made.  Can you ask for a louder voice than that?  Why, heaven and earth cry out to you:  “God made me!”
St Augustine

I agree with everything you said here paris, but I don't think he meant that science was bad.  I think he was referring to the "science only, God not possible" mindset.  That's how I took it anyway.  I've always said that science is the way we see how awesome our God is.  I believe that He created all things to ultimately point back to Him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#34]
does Gravity exist? I can't see it, only how it works
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a ridiculous statement.  Gravity can be proven by scientific methods. God cannot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
That is a ridiculous statement.  Gravity can be proven by scientific methods. God cannot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would propose that Science only proves a methodology or a history of a progression of how the Divine Creator designed the world and and as infinite is He is, is as infinite as that progression.

Who visited the infant Jesus. Scientists they paid Him homage. In fact the more we get into minute particulates the more we discover how much God loves science.

God gave us an intellect and gifts for a reason.  Darwin and so many others changed their minds. Why... The more they studied the universe the more it became evident that there was an Intelligence to the Design. It's not random.

I give you the worlds most notorious atheist. Antony Flew.  

" There
were two factors in particular that were decisive. One was my growing
empathy with the insight of Einstein and other noted scientists that
there had to be an Intelligence behind the integrated complexity of the
physical Universe. The second was my own insight that the integrated
complexity of life itself—which is far more complex than the physical
Universe—can only be explained in terms of an Intelligent Source. I
believe that the origin of life and reproduction simply cannot be
explained from a biological standpoint despite numerous efforts to do
so. With every passing year, the more that was discovered about the
richness and inherent intelligence of life, the less it seemed likely
that a chemical soup could magically generate the genetic code. The
difference between life and non-life, it became apparent to me, was
ontological and not chemical. The best confirmation of this radical gulf
is Richard Dawkins' comical effort to argue in The God Delusion
that the origin of life can be attributed to a "lucky chance." If
that's the best argument you have, then the game is over. No, I did not
hear a Voice. It was the evidence itself that led me to this conclusion."

You can live your life in what you believe is a freedom: Freedom from your deep faith. God never wants your faith to be a burden. Or you can live your life knowing you are truly free. It's EASY to not believe. There is no work involved.

You are in a place of only you right now and there is no room for God. . And if you feel you are greater than everything else nothing we say here is going to persuade you. This is your time of blindness and it is a path Rangermaster.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree with everything you said here paris, but I don't think he meant that science was bad.  I think he was referring to the "science only, God not possible" mindset.  That's how I took it anyway.  I've always said that science is the way we see how awesome our God is.  I believe that He created all things to ultimately point back to Him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to expand my mind.

St Augustine

I agree but 'materialism' is probably a better word to use in that context.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#38]
God grants forgiveness, mercy, and miracles how He sees fit. He is just and Holy.

And even though you atheists and agnostics won't admit it on this public forum, I believe in every man's heart he knows there is a Creator.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Every god I've ever heard of contradicts the laws of nature and is therefore by definition impossible.  No.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Every god I've ever heard of contradicts the laws of nature and is therefore by definition impossible.  No.
View Quote
LOL

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I said decades and that some sources claim much later, which I have provided. As I said, I'll flat out give you the best case scenario of 55AD for the earliest writings. That's still 25 years after the events described. And often are stories written by a guy, who know a guy, who knew a guy, who heard about these events. I'm sure that everything was recorded with perfect accuracy.

You've studied these things and you've never heard the conclusion that Matthew and Luke were heavily influenced by Mark? It's on wikipedia for goodness' sake. There are many many sources available online, and many found at the bottom of my link. You may be a bit behind on your research.

I don't know that he doesn't exist and never claimed that. I have stated that if he does exist, then he's a pretty pathetic deity.

And to clarify: I didn't say 20,000 people died yesterday, I said 20,000 children died yesterday. Again, these are things easily found on the interwebs, do a little digging before you start blustering about my facts.

And god 'bringing his angel to him' is one of the most morally bankrupt statements you can make in my book. The horrible loss of a loved one, especially a child, shouldn't be cheapened by such nonsensical claims.

In your opinion, devoid of any credible proof. Your feelings are not evidence.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
God grants forgiveness, mercy, and miracles how He sees fit. He is just and Holy.

And even though you atheists and agnostics won't admit it on this public forum, I believe in every man's heart he knows there is a Creator.
View Quote

That's interesting, because I'm equally certain that most men know that there is no god. I'll ask you a question that I've asked in previous threads:

If God asked you to kill your children, would you do it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I said decades and that some sources claim much later, which I have provided. As I said, I'll flat out give you the best case scenario of 55AD for the earliest writings. That's still 25 years after the events described. And often are stories written by a guy, who know a guy, who knew a guy, who heard about these events. I'm sure that everything was recorded with perfect accuracy.

You've studied these things and you've never heard the conclusion that Matthew and Luke were heavily influenced by Mark? It's on wikipedia for goodness' sake. There are many many sources available online, and many found at the bottom of my link. You may be a bit behind on your research.

I don't know that he doesn't exist and never claimed that. I have stated that if he does exist, then he's a pretty pathetic deity.

And to clarify: I didn't say 20,000 people died yesterday, I said 20,000 children died yesterday. Again, these are things easily found on the interwebs, do a little digging before you start blustering about my facts.

And god 'bringing his angel to him' is one of the most morally bankrupt statements you can make in my book. The horrible loss of a loved one, especially a child, shouldn't be cheapened by such nonsensical claims.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'M the one that is unlearned here.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite Christian of you to laugh and make jokes when you're being asked real questions. It's EASY to avoid a debate.. especially when you can't refute the other persons query accurately.
Instead of laughing just respond? I'm enjoying the dialogue and it's been pretty informative besides your paltry responses. It makes it appear as if you're grasping for answers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quite Christian of you to laugh and make jokes when you're being asked real questions. It's EASY to avoid a debate.. especially when you can't refute the other persons query accurately.
Instead of laughing just respond? I'm enjoying the dialogue and it's been pretty informative besides your paltry responses. It makes it appear as if you're grasping for answers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STOP IT!!! YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

25 years is still well within a single lifetime, and keep in mind that these are only the dates of the earliest manuscripts. We don't have the originals. The funny thing about paper, especially the type they used in the first century, is that it degrades over time. How is this, in any way, a dead bang that the documents are fake? If the earliest writings were 55 AD and we know we don't have the original, that would likely put the original much earlier. The argument that "it is a story written by a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy..." is a completely unsubstantiated argument also. There is no sufficient reason to believe that the Gospels weren't written by eyewitnesses. You are using unsubstantiated guesswork to discount their authenticity.

View Quote

Since when is wikipedia a scholarly source? Any conclusions regarding influence on Matthew and Luke by Mark are operating from the presupposed conclusion that they are not all eyewitness accounts. There is no argument to be made that is not easily refuted that says the Gospels are contradictory/inconsistent/ etc etc.

View Quote

How is suffering and death inconsistent with what the Bible teaches about the world in which we live? At what point do you make the logical leap to the conclusion that if God exists, he must exist in a way that makes absolute sense to the rationale and logic of fyeguy? There are over 7 billion people in this world today, and many hundreds of billions that have lived and died prior to today. Must the creator of the universe bow to the whims of each individual on this planet and exist in such a way as to make them all happy? Keeping one person happy at all in this world seems impossible.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
25 years is still well within a single lifetime, and keep in mind that these are only the dates of the earliest manuscripts. We don't have the originals. The funny thing about paper, especially the type they used in the first century, is that it degrades over time. How is this, in any way, a dead bang that the documents are fake? If the earliest writings were 55 AD and we know we don't have the original, that would likely put the original much earlier. The argument that "it is a story written by a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy..." is a completely unsubstantiated argument also. There is no sufficient reason to believe that the Gospels weren't written by eyewitnesses. You are using unsubstantiated guesswork to discount their authenticity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mark is generally accepted as the earliest writing, and it is generally accepted that Mark was not an eyewitness. So a guy (Mark), who knew a guy (Peter), is surely an accurate statement. The argument was that the gospels were written long after Jesus' death. We can argue all day about the specifics, but the accepted range for the writing of the gospels lies somewhere between 25-300 years after the fact. Either way, a long time. If you're claiming that they were written at the actual time of the events, please provide proof, and please be aware that you are in a very very small minority.

Since when is wikipedia a scholarly source? Any conclusions regarding influence on Matthew and Luke by Mark are operating from the presupposed conclusion that they are not all eyewitness accounts. There is no argument to be made that is not easily refuted that says the Gospels are contradictory/inconsistent/ etc etc.

I'm not claiming that Wikipedia is a scholarly source, I am telling you that the statement that several gospel writers borrowed heavily from Mark is not some out there idea, it's pretty common knowledge. If you need more info, there are plenty of scholarly sources cited at the bottom of the link I shared. If you're just going to attack the source, do your own research, I'm certain you'll come across that fact soon enough.

How is suffering and death inconsistent with what the Bible teaches about the world in which we live? At what point do you make the logical leap to the conclusion that if God exists, he must exist in a way that makes absolute sense to the rationale and logic of fyeguy? There are over 7 billion people in this world today, and many hundreds of billions that have lived and died prior to today. Must the creator of the universe bow to the whims of each individual on this planet and exist in such a way as to make them all happy? Keeping one person happy at all in this world seems impossible.

You apologists keep providing the same boring responses: You just don't understand! It's beyond your understanding! Magic! If you want to argue the logic of my statements, you gotta do better than that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I never said they were written at the time of the events, only that they were written by eyewitnesses. The Synoptic Gospels were written within 60 ish years at the latest. Most estimates put them within 30 years. Well within one lifetime for the authors to have been eyewitnesses to these events. Mark, of course, dictating for the Apostle Peter. The generally accepted idea is that Christ's followers believed that his return would be swift and did not take the time necessary to document it until later as they spent their time spreading the Gospel in order to hasten His return.

We have sources too.

When were the gospels written

but, when were the Gospels written?

no way, when were the gospels written?

Even atheist nat-geo says 65-95 A.D.

The real problem

The real problem with dating the synoptic Gospels is that those scholars that reject Jesus' deity refuse to believe that Jesus could have accurately predicted the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem in 70 A.D. so they are adamant that the Gospels must have been written later.

This certainly puts the individual rejecting Jesus' power in a conundrum. The Gospels are not trustworthy because they were written long after the death of Christ  and we know this because they predicted the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. and we know they couldn't have predicted the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. because they are not trustworthy. Wait, isn't that circular reasoning?

The problem is, there is plenty of evidence to suggest they were written earlier. The Gospel of Luke and the book of Acts were written no later than 62 A.D. as they coincide with Paul's imprisonment and we know that the Gospel of Mark and Matthew were written prior to this. Again, this is well within a partial lifetime and the only reason for rejecting their authenticity is a rejection of what they teach. Any scholar would accept the writings as historically accurate were it not for the meaning behind it. This introduces the option for the scholar to either accept it or reach for ways of rejecting it in order to reject its meaningfulness.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I never said they were written at the time of the events, only that they were written by eyewitnesses. The Synoptic Gospels were written within 60 ish years at the latest. Most estimates put them within 30 years. Well within one lifetime for the authors to have been eyewitnesses to these events. Mark, of course, dictating for the Apostle Peter. The generally accepted idea is that Christ's followers believed that his return would be swift and did not take the time necessary to document it until later as they spent their time spreading the Gospel in order to hasten His return.

We have sources too.

When were the gospels written

but, when were the Gospels written?

no way, when were the gospels written?

Even atheist nat-geo says 65-95 A.D.

The real problem

The real problem with dating the synoptic Gospels is that those scholars that reject Jesus' deity refuse to believe that Jesus could have accurately predicted the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem in 70 A.D. so they are adamant that the Gospels must have been written later.

This certainly puts the individual rejecting Jesus' power in a conundrum. The Gospels are not trustworthy because they were written long after the death of Christ  and we know this because they predicted the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. and we know they couldn't have predicted the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. because they are not trustworthy. Wait, isn't that circular reasoning?

The problem is, there is plenty of evidence to suggest they were written earlier. The Gospel of Luke and the book of Acts were written no later than 62 A.D. as they coincide with Paul's imprisonment and we know that the Gospel of Mark and Matthew were written prior to this. Again, this is well within a partial lifetime and the only reason for rejecting their authenticity is a rejection of what they teach. Any scholar would accept the writings as historically accurate were it not for the meaning behind it. This introduces the option for the scholar to either accept it or reach for ways of rejecting it in order to reject its meaningfulness.
View Quote

Didn't you hear the man?!  It's beyond your understanding!

Matthew 10:14-16, brother.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top