Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2014 9:15:05 PM EDT
Im considering being baptized again (or possibly for the 1st time) I spoke with my Lutheran pastor and he says that I have a certificate from 40 years ago is valid. However there isnt a  living being on this planet that remembers my baptism let alone know what church I was baptized at. Therefore was I baptized at all and rely on a single piece of paper to hope I have eternal life. Should I just go and be either baptized or perhaps re baptized for a piece of mind? Am I committing any type of sin for possibly being re baptized?

Any help in this matter would help.

And yes I do have a certificate from the 70s. But nobody can verify or remember the event.and since no family are religous or really seem to care is this ok to error on the side of caution?

My biggest concern is sinning against Gods word or daming myself to hell bc of this. And Lutherns dont re baptize

This has kept me up at night for some time. Ive prayed often.

Thx!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Not being baptized will not keep you out of heaven. It's not the baptism that gives you salvation, it's Christ's forgivness of your sins and you accepting that forgivness and repenting, living your life for Christ from now on. If all of this is disregarded, then baptism is nothing more then getting wet.

Having said that, I've never read that it's a sin to get baptized more than once. Some people do it that have strayed from God and are rededicating their lives to Christ. It's my opinion that if you want to get baptized again, go for it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thx! I just want to do what Christ demands us to do like in the book of Mark 16. Whoever believeves and  is baptized shall enter my Fathers kingdom.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with the piece of paper you have and not worry.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not being baptized will not keep you out of heaven. It's not the baptism that gives you salvation, it's Christ's forgivness of your sins and you accepting that forgivness and repenting, living your life for Christ from now on. If all of this is disregarded, then baptism is nothing more then getting wet.

Having said that, I've never read that it's a sin to get baptized more than once. Some people do it that have strayed from God and are rededicating their lives to Christ. It's my opinion that if you want to get baptized again, go for it.
View Quote

This:
Not accepting Christ as your savior and his cleansing blood that was shed on the cross is what will keep you from eternal life. Baptism is a simple act of obedience after salvation in showing the shedding of the old man and putting on the new life in Christ. Without salvation first its nothing more than a dunk.

Salvation is the admittance that I am a sinner and there is nothing that I can do to cover my sins, accepting that Jesus is the Christ, the only begotten son of God who was crucified and shed His blood for my sins, and placing my full faith in that Him. That is the only way you will enter into the Kingdom.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The words on the paper mean nothing, it's what's written on your heart that matters. If you want to be Baptized again, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thx! I just want to do what Christ demands us to do like in the book of Mark 16. Whoever believeves and  is baptized shall enter my Fathers kingdom.
View Quote

Excellent!  If you don't think you were baptized or if you'd like to make sure so that you were obedient, then I say go for it. I don't think God would be mad that you are concerned about doing what he commanded. I think He will be pleased.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#7]
As has already been said Baptism does not save you.  Repenting of your sins and trusting Christ as your personal Savior brings salvation.

Baptism is simply an ordinance showing an outward proclamation of salvation.  It is an important ordinance but it is not a requirement to be saved.

if you look thru the Bible you will not find a single example of Baptism that was performed on anyone but confessed believers.  That means they had to be old enough to have full knowledge that they were sinners.

So I would ask you.

Do you remember a time that you realized you were a sinner and needed to be saved.  Did you repent of your sins and trust Christ as your savior?  you don't have to have a specific Date, but just the knowledge in your heart that you have repented of your sins.

if you have done this but don't remember being Scripturally Baptized at the time, then sure why not.

I don't put  a lot of stock in certificates of baptism personally.  Often times if done to a small child it means very little, because they really did not understand sin and salvation, so in reality they were not baptized, they just got wet.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, as a Catholic and former Lutheran, I understand your concerns. Lutherans and Catholics have similar beliefs on Baptism, which others in this thread don't seem to share. Yes, it is Jesus who saves us, but for whatever reason he chooses to start this process with Baptism. As Peter said, "Baptism now saves you."   You are right to want to be very sure you are doing all the Lord asks of you. It's also important to remember though that God isnt out to get you.  

If I were in your shoes, I would seek out what is known as a "conditional baptism."  I know catholics do this and seem to think Lutherans do this sometimes. It's as simple as "If you are not already baptized, I baptize you in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit" with the usual water. If you are already baptized, it's just water and it's not like you're seeking out a second baptism like an anabaptist. If you're not baptized, then bam you are now. If you're concerned about this, conditional baptism seems like a good option. Maybe talk to you pastor about it.

Hope this helps. Kudos for trying your best to do what Jesus tells us. Don't get scrupulous though.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, and God bless you in everything that you do concerning it!

I would personally go with a full water emersion baptism  like Jesus did though, as I too grew up Lutheran, but was unfortunately baptized before I knew or understood the truth about my own personal profession of faith accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, dying on the cross at Calvary for us, and shedding His blood for the forgiveness of our sins for us, and our eternal salvation, "In Him" forever; and throughout the eternal loop and process as we will experience with the One High God; and with great and wonderful things to come, as it always is with the Lord being with us!

And it is here my dear brother in Christ, where there are some church organizations who I strongly feel as if the doctrine that some of them hold could be, well as they say, putting the old cart before the horse so to speak, in some of these matters as religious training or catechism, although may lay out some facts about Christ, yet in no way will secure anyone's salvation in Jesus Christ or ever have at any time. And we that are truly called with a very high calling in Christ know these things because they are relevant and material things according to our salvation.
They are Biblical.

In other words, we know that we cannot be called unto God in Christ Jesus unless the Spirit of God draws us first!
So how can we know and be assured of these things?

God will let us know and by His Spirit; and by knowing exactly how to treat His creation in such a way as to compel us to believe in Jesus first!
In Understanding  and in God's Wisdom, and with that same Love which drew God to His destiny on the cross, and then us away from our sin and the production of that sin which is death without it!
And that being, in ways in which God's knowledge is much higher than our knowledge in order to accomplish His will and at all times, throughout the entirety of God's creation as God considers us in all of this to be very important to love and nurture and to make us heirs and joint-heirs with Christ Jesus!
He will let us know how because He knows all things.
And these are facts of our lives, and the lives which have been given more abundantly!
In the Word, and from the beginning!
Once saved always saved; but only in and through Jesus Christ and understanding what we must do in order to be saved in and by Him first!

Thanks,

SAE
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Jesus answered them, ''Stop complaining among yourselves. No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and then I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the Prophets: And they will all be taught of God. Everyone who has listened to and learned from the Father comes from Me-----not that anyone has seen the Father except the One who is of God. He has seen the Father."

The Gospel of Saint John the Beloved
John 6: 43-46
Jesus Christ Pronounces Revelation: Who Has Seen the Father
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]
So when did we, "listen to" and "learn from" from the Father if we have never seen Him?
Before we were saved?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#12]
So then, brothers, we are not obligated to the flesh to live according to the flesh, for if you live according to the flesh, then you are going to die. But if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

All of those led by God's Spirit are Gods sons (or God's sons and daughters indeed).

For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received the spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out, "Abba Father (or Beloved Daddy)!"

The Spirit Himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God's children:
And if children, also heirs-----heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ-----seeing that we suffer with Him so that we may be glorified with Him.

Romans 8: 12-17
The Life-Giving Spirit of God
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, God knows your heart. I say get baptized again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Thx all!

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]
And just to be clear. Im not doing this to have it done twice. Im doing it to ensure Christs words are followed. And not relying on a piece of paper and "hope" its taken care of. If I have already have been baptized  then  great. But whos to say? And if im not breaking the commantments or eating out of the tree to send me to hell. Then why not? Ill sleep better.

Thanks all
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Once baptized, always baptized.

That said, I see no harm in re-baptizing if you feel that your first may be in question, or if you wish to have the decision be your own.

As mentioned above, the Lord knows your heart. If it will bring you peace, go ahead and do it.

Heck, I was baptized as an infant, then again by my mother when I was 13 while standing in the Jordan River, then again just a few years ago by my wife, again when standing in the Jordan River (I did her, too). Nothing wrong with it. I dont think anything "special" happened on the subsequent ones as with the first one, but it felt good nonetheless...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]
John 3:5.

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter in to the kingdom of God."

Pretty straight forward answer there.

Having said that, I don't know that there's great option for "proving" whether or not you've been baptized. How old were you in the 70s?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter in to the kingdom of God."

Having said that, I don't know that there's great option for "proving" whether or not you've been baptized. How old were you in the 70s?

View Quote

Just a few months
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just a few months
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a few months

Actually brothers, Jesus is talking here indeed about baptism, but this in my opinion and understanding of the scriptures is an after the fact analogy in which, there are some articles which may have been overlooked here.

In the first degree or order of business or understanding, I believe that Jesus is talking about a person, or all persons who come into this physical life through the natural process of child-birth.
Now, in John's gospel we see that Jesus states here that: ''I assure you: Anyone who doesn't enter the sheep pen by the door (or by natural child-birth as a human being) but climbs in some other way (or is present as a spiritual being in the physical realm, but whose origins are not of the world, but from some other place and creative effect), is a thief and a robber (or fallen angels who come to kill, steal, and destroy, and to offer a false or bogus type salvation through the system of the world, instead of the only true salvation in Christ or, "In Him" forever, and secured by the Father from the eternal places).

The one (or One) who enters by the door (or though the portal of natural child-birth) is the shepherd of the sheep (or of His flock).
The doorkeeper opens it for him (or the Father who is in heaven makes all of these things possible), and the sheep hear (or the sheep hear because they are endued to respond with the One by) his voice (or by the voice which created all things; which through the *Power is irresistible to all things which are drawn to It).

Therefore, he (or He) calls his own sheep (or the ones given Him by the Father) and he leads them out (or He leads them out into eternal life)

John 10: 1-3
*The Ideal Shepherd: The Physical Second versus the Spiritual First
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Good news. Set to take place next week. After an hour of meeting with the pastor. He said no problem!!  He also said he wanted no money for the doings. Of course  I can not allow that. A donation to the church will be given.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Baptized as an infant Catholic.Baptized as a Baptist after excepting the Lord[30yrs old]. Baptism not necessary for salvation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top