BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What? Do you not even understand your own church's beliefs? Tell me exactly what I said that offended you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, paris dakar, let me explain it to you. Roman Catholics believe this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/BentoXVI-51-11052007_%28frag%29.jpg

...is Jesus Christ, and is worshiped as Jesus Christ. I do NOT believe the wafer is Jesus Christ, and I refuse to worship it. At least one of us is profoundly wrong, and can't be worshiping the true Christ. Can you agree with this conclusion?
You do not understand what you are seeing or saying. However the use of this very sacred moment in my faith as fodder for your comment  is massively  offensive to me.

What? Do you not even understand your own church's beliefs? Tell me exactly what I said that offended you.
Tell me exactly what part of the mass is that you so casually minimized since you seem to know so much. YOU tell me what you think is going on there. What exactly is happening at that moment?

Right... you have no clue. So politely I am going to say it again. You don't know what you are saying in reference to that moment in the mass. If you did you would understand the sacredness and your offensiveness.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Angelfire, do you not express your faith in the real presence of Jesus Christ in the bread and wine? Is that not worship?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tell me exactly what part of the mass is that you so casually minimized since you seem to know so much. YOU tell me what you think is going on there. What exactly is happening at that moment?
Right... you have no clue. So politely I am going to say it again. You don't know what you are saying in reference to that moment in the mass. If you did you would understand the sacredness and your offensiveness.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Well, paris dakar, let me explain it to you. Roman Catholics believe this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/BentoXVI-51-11052007_%28frag%29.jpg

...is Jesus Christ, and is worshiped as Jesus Christ. I do NOT believe the wafer is Jesus Christ, and I refuse to worship it. At least one of us is profoundly wrong, and can't be worshiping the true Christ. Can you agree with this conclusion?
You do not understand what you are seeing or saying. However the use of this very sacred moment in my faith as fodder for your comment  is massively  offensive to me.  

It's a publicly available photograph.  You're refusing to address the question by claiming butthurt.  But you refuse to explain why you're butthurt over a picture of your own religion's practices.  Lolz.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Angelfire, do you not express your faith in the real presence of Jesus Christ in the bread and wine? Is that not worship?
View Quote
GTS.. do as I asked. Show me what you REALLY understand about that moment in the mass.

I believe in true presence of Christ in the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist.

Again: Please explain to me what exactly is happening at that part of the mass that you so casually mocked? What is happening right then? What words? Where did they come from?

Do you really know? What lead up to that part of the mass. What are we doing while that is going on? Where did it come from?

Do you mock the cross or the scripture as well?

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's a publicly available photograph.  You're refusing to address the question by claiming butthurt.  But you refuse to explain why you're butthurt over a picture of your own religion's practices.  Lolz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  Well, paris dakar, let me explain it to you. Roman Catholics believe this:

It far more to those of my faith.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe Angelfire will be less offended if I say I do not believe Jesus Christ is present in the wafer, therefore I will not worship the wafer. Whatever...

The bottom line is that the Eucharist is the most important part of the Roman Catholic Mass, yet there is no reference to it in the Book of Acts. That is a huge red flag.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Angelfire, I did not mock anything, I said I didn't believe Jesus was present in the wafer. If stating what I believe offends you, so be it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Maybe Angelfire will be less offended if I say I do not believe Jesus Christ is present in the wafer, therefore I will not worship the wafer. Whatever...

The bottom line is that the Eucharist is the most important part of the Roman Catholic Mass, yet there is no reference to it in the Book of Acts. That is a huge red flag.
View Quote
And athey devoted themselves to the apostles' bteaching and the cfellowship, to dthe breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe5 came upon every soul, and emany wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and fhad all things in common. 45 And fthey were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, gattending the temple htogether and ibreaking bread in their homes, they received their food jwith glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and khaving favor with all the people. And the Lord ladded to their number mday by day those who nwere being saved.

Really? ACTS 2:42

Try again.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Proof-texting with a Chick-bot is like arguing with a traffic light.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Angelfire, I did not mock anything, I said I didn't believe Jesus was present in the wafer. If stating what I believe offends you, so be

View Quote

You do not understand anything about what you indeed said. Honesty is respectable.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahh, the spirit of Roman Catholicism revealing itself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You do not understand anything about what you indeed said. Honesty is respectable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Angelfire, I did not mock anything, I said I didn't believe Jesus was present in the wafer. If stating what I believe offends you, so be

Do I need special knowledge to understand it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering how rudely and deliberately you've trolled this thread, you're hardly in any position to cast aspersions.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Considering how rudely and deliberately you've trolled this thread, you're hardly in any position to cast aspersions.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are justified in insulting me?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Proof-texting with a Chick-bot is like arguing with a traffic light.

Of course he is!  The best part - you get to spend eternity together.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
"Marks of the Uninformed."
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its the same answer I posted last time. Maybe you didn't read it. From the CCC...
846   How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847   This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

never learned anything from twire, that I could not learn from Jesus. But maybe you can answer a question that he would not answer when I asked him in a past thread of his.

Do I need to be a Roman Catholic in order to go to heaven?

Its the same answer I posted last time. Maybe you didn't read it. From the CCC...
846   How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847   This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation..

Thanks for responding twire, however I would like to have heard a yes or no from you.
If I can go to heaven without being a catholic then what is the point of being one?
As I stated in an earlier post, the original church would be what some call Pentecostal, The church as started on the day of Pentecost operated in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
All other teachings such as the Eucharist, infant baptism, calvanism, to much other stuff to list came later.

Peter your first Pope had a stadium type street preaching ministry on the day of Pentecost and 3000 people came to the altar call!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't call it special. I am 52 and still learning. The majority of my learning has taken place over the last 25 years of my life living in the south. Faith was something we took for granted in the North.

Keep in mind I went a mixture of public and Catholic schools my entire school career. The education I got did not reveal the reason we believe and it was woefully lacking in the scriptural aspect. I also spent time in the

convent and was in final discernment and still didn't know the gift my faith offers me or the richness and depth or beauty of practice this faith offers. Over time and with challenges and reading everything did IT find me. The more I learn the more I desire to know!!!

You need an open mind and an open heart to understand it. I was ripped off as kid and our kids continue to be ripped off!!! There were times in my life that allowed  for both  questioning and learning.           Suffering always made me search even harder. What I found was always astounding. The sad part is, I began to realize  the many ways I have offended my Lord over time out of my ignorance and stubbornness. We have  so little time to get this right.

GST my faith  is consuming and is completeness and it is sacred.  The only way that became this way for me was by being outside its door with my face pressed against the window.

Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand. St. Augustine.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  I wouldn't call it special. I am 52 and still learning. The majority of my learning has taken place over the last 25 years of my life living in the south. Faith was something we took for granted in the North.

Keep in mind I went a mixture of public and Catholic schools my entire school career. The education I got did not reveal the reason we believe and it was woefully lacking in the scriptural aspect. I also spent time in the

convent and was in final discernment and still didn't know the gift my faith offers me or the richness and depth or beauty of practice this faith offers. Over time and with challenges and reading everything did IT find me. The more I learn the more I desire to know!!!

You need an open mind and an open heart to understand it. I was ripped off as kid and our kids continue to be ripped off!!! There were times in my life that allowed  for both  questioning and learning.           Suffering always made me search even harder. What I found was always astounding. The sad part is, I began to realize  the many ways I have offended my Lord over time out of my ignorance and stubbornness. We have  so little time to get this right.

GST my faith  is consuming and is completeness and it is sacred.  The only way that became this way for me was by being outside its door with my face pressed against the window.

Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand. St. Augustine.
View Quote

Faith is not a light switch.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  I wouldn't call it special. I am 52 and still learning. The majority of my learning has taken place over the last 25 years of my life living in the south. Faith was something we took for granted in the North.

That is indeed a sad analogy and misses the point. But even humble light switch has to have a power source.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is indeed a sad analogy and misses the point. But even humble light switch has to have a power source.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A poor anology if you like.  St Augustine lived in a pre-scientific age.  Belief is not something that one says,"I believe!" and thus it is so.  Belief in anything comes to one, or it does not.  Today, in the West, man requires evidence for belief.  I owe you money?  Show me a bill.  This car has 500 horsepower?  Show me the dyno test.  No one can make himself believe in something in which he does not believe.  In Augustine's age, he could get away with such sophistry, but to today's reader, understanding MUST come before belief.  One may wish to believe, can even pray to believe, but there is no way one can force himself to believe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thanks for responding twire, however I would like to have heard a yes or no from you.

If I can go to heaven without being a catholic then what is the point of being one?

As I stated in an earlier post, the original church would be what some call Pentecostal, The church as started on the day of Pentecost operated in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

All other teachings such as the Eucharist, infant baptism, calvanism, to much other stuff to list came later.

Peter your first Pope had a stadium type street preaching ministry on the day of Pentecost and 3000 people came to the altar call!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you know the Church and reject it you will not be saved.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  If you know the Church and reject it you will not be saved.  
View Quote

Hallelujah!  I won't be spending eternity w/ those folks.  Now where do I get the teatotalin' Baptists to sign up for this?  Is there a website I can send 'em to?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#24]
In the parables of the coming of the Kingdom, Jesus said they would come from the North and South, east and west and dine with Abraham while the children were out in the cold... the great commission of Jesus to the apostles was to make disciples of all the nations, so one of the marks of the Church of Jesus was precisely the global reach of this community. Historically, only the Catholic Church has actually reached the entire planet, whereas the Orthodox is a national/ethnic Church for the most part stuck in Eastern Europe and Russia and their ethnic diasporas, the Catholic Church has members from every continent, every language, every ethnic group.

But what else did Jesus tell us? He told us to heal the sick, cast out demons, and then preach the Good News. To this day, Catholics have continued to heal the sick and exorcise demons. By who's name and who's power do you suppose we cast them out? In the name of who do we do everything? How could Jesus not be merciful to Catholics if we pray to him and worship him and seek to do his will as best we can?

The thing that most amazes me is that Luther rejected Rome because (so it's claimed) he was 'scandalized' by all the sinners in Rome and so concluded that their sin was PROOF that the entire Church was wrong, that we just needed the bible alone (interpreted by wise doctors like himself of course). But later in his life he does not point to his own sin as any big problem because, see, He, Luther, "has faith". Suddenly in his case, it's faith alone saves and works are of no account - either works of virtue or works of vice.

Now.....how exactly is works of vice TERRIBLE and "proof" of total depravity when Catholics do it....but not at all a problem for Protestants? How can "faith alone" save Protestants but not Catholics? If Catholics were simply deluded into thinking we needed faith and love to be friends with Jesus, but really all we need is faith alone....wouldn't the merciful God save us despite thinking the bar was higher?

As it is though, while Our Lord did unequivocally call us to have faith and connect faith with healing and salvation, he ALSO commanded us to do many things and avoid other things and his talk of the final judgment, the wise or unwise virgins, the good or bad stewards, etc. all revolved around things we either choose to do or things we choose to not do. So from Jesus' own words and actions, it's not mere faith as an intellectual exercise that he was commanding but love, which is action of the will. Endurance in love and fidelity to the end....

As I contemplate my own mortality and I look at "just the bible" in light of the history of the past 2000 years, I can't help but see that all the early Church fathers and martyrs spoke in Catholic terms not "bible alone" terms. They wrote about bishops, priests and deacons. Consecrated women, vows, relics, and the Mass. The very men who ratified which books were "scripture" and which were merely letters, were bishops of this Church.

So if I want to be in communion with the historic Church founded by Jesus, and my current discipleship should match theirs.... then I need to find and then hold fast to the most original of view points....and that I find in the Catholic Church - warts and all. If I look I find warts in every OTHER group too. So sin proves nothing either way. If I accept the Bible as divinely inspired, then I must accept that the Church of the late 3rd century that ratified those books must have been guided by the Holy Spirit and thus must have had teaching authority.... by then they already had a creed and 7 sacraments etc. thus..... whatever they were, they weren't proto-protestants.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A poor anology if you like.  St Augustine lived in a pre-scientific age.  Belief is not something that one says,"I believe!" and thus it is so.  Belief in anything comes to one, or it does not.  Today, in the West, man requires evidence for belief.  I owe you money?  Show me a bill.  This car has 500 horsepower?  Show me the dyno test.  No one can make himself believe in something in which he does not believe.  In Augustine's age, he could get away with such sophistry, but to today's reader, understanding MUST come before belief.  One may wish to believe, can even pray to believe, but there is no way one can force himself to believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol!!  So man must have an AP for faith now?  There is no scientific proof that God does NOT exist!!! By definition: FAITH is believing without proof.

Do you define sophistry as this androgynous society that has evolved to the point where free will is no longer a factor in choices? If that were the case we would have no need of laws. All would be equal.  (lets give that a go in your neighborhood first mmmkay?)

I  propose that we are no different, and in fact may be far more barbaric as a result of technology than those who walked the earth at the time of  Christ. How has man evolved past free will?  In fact I submit that advancement of technology could be scientifically proved, that society has suffered degeneration and directly is an influencing factor in more violence, bullying, hatred, adultery, murder, porn, and sloth to the destruction and degeneration of western society. It's less about knowledge and learning and respect and  values that make a strong respectful society and more about who can tweet stupidity faster.  

We have to do away with love, happiness, evil, good, empathy, empowerment joy, and social pecking orders. Who is to say that because you have all the money you should be allowed a better lot in life right? Scientifically I could make a case that it is just a derivative of a worthless tree.  It's not proven by science that you deserve it any better than anyone else. But we believe that the value of becoming educated and earning a living entitles us to certain levels of social standards. We believe that. If we throw some science at that I bet we could fix it for ya.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lol!!  So man must have an AP for faith now?  There is no scientific proof that God does NOT exist!!! By definition: FAITH is believing without proof.

Do you define sophistry as this androgynous society that has evolved to the point where free will is no longer a factor in choices? If that were the case we would have no need of laws. All would be equal.  (lets give that a go in your neighborhood first mmmkay?)

I  propose that we are no different, and in fact may be far more barbaric as a result of technology than those who walked the earth at the time of  Christ. How has man evolved past free will?  In fact I submit that advancement of technology could be scientifically proved, that society has suffered degeneration and directly is an influencing factor in more violence, bullying, hatred, adultery, murder, porn, and sloth to the destruction and degeneration of western society. It's less about knowledge and learning and respect and  values that make a strong respectful society and more about who can tweet stupidity faster.  

We have to do away with love, happiness, evil, good, empathy, empowerment joy, and social pecking orders. Who is to say that because you have all the money you should be allowed a better lot in life right? Scientifically I could make a case that it is just a derivative of a worthless tree.  It's not proven by science that you deserve it any better than anyone else. But we believe that the value of becoming educated and earning a living entitles us to certain levels of social standards. We believe that. If we throw some science at that I bet we could fix it for ya.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand. St. Augustine.

No, I'm using a dictionary definition of sophistry.  But interesting straw man.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#27]

<SNIPPED TO REPAIR EARLIER SNIPPING FAILURE> My apologies for any confusion.
No, I'm using a dictionary definition of sophistry.  But interesting straw man.
View Quote
In your opinion it is false. Present you scientific irrefutable evidence. ETA. I work in a high tech field where we are all science all day. It includes atheists whom while they do not believe, they seem to have a grasp of our constitution. They have been following. So this should be interesting.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hallelujah!  I won't be spending eternity w/ those folks.  Now where do I get the teatotalin' Baptists to sign up for this?  Is there a website I can send 'em to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pretty much blasphemy to some of us.  Your church, my church or the deli down the street can't save anybody. Any church who thinks they speak for God is anti-christ.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Pretty much blasphemy to some of us.  Your church, my church or the deli down the street can't save anybody. Any church who thinks they speak for God is anti-christ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize the original quote from the CCC was a little weighty for you, being all of three sentences, but go back and actually read it. I was providing a quick yes or no as requested by the post before.

Pretty much ignorance to some of us.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

In the parables of the coming of the Kingdom, Jesus said they would come from the North and South, east and west and dine with Abraham while the children were out in the cold... the great commission of Jesus to the apostles was to make disciples of all the nations, so one of the marks of the Church of Jesus was precisely the global reach of this community. Historically, only the Catholic Church has actually reached the entire planet, whereas the Orthodox is a national/ethnic Church for the most part stuck in Eastern Europe and Russia and their ethnic diasporas, the Catholic Church has members from every continent, every language, every ethnic group.

But what else did Jesus tell us? He told us to heal the sick, cast out demons, and then preach the Good News. To this day, Catholics have continued to heal the sick and exorcise demons. By who's name and who's power do you suppose we cast them out? In the name of who do we do everything? How could Jesus not be merciful to Catholics if we pray to him and worship him and seek to do his will as best we can?

The thing that most amazes me is that Luther rejected Rome because (so it's claimed) he was 'scandalized' by all the sinners in Rome and so concluded that their sin was PROOF that the entire Church was wrong, that we just needed the bible alone (interpreted by wise doctors like himself of course). But later in his life he does not point to his own sin as any big problem because, see, He, Luther, "has faith". Suddenly in his case, it's faith alone saves and works are of no account - either works of virtue or works of vice.

Now.....how exactly is works of vice TERRIBLE and "proof" of total depravity when Catholics do it....but not at all a problem for Protestants? How can "faith alone" save Protestants but not Catholics? If Catholics were simply deluded into thinking we needed faith and love to be friends with Jesus, but really all we need is faith alone....wouldn't the merciful God save us despite thinking the bar was higher?

As it is though, while Our Lord did unequivocally call us to have faith and connect faith with healing and salvation, he ALSO commanded us to do many things and avoid other things and his talk of the final judgment, the wise or unwise virgins, the good or bad stewards, etc. all revolved around things we either choose to do or things we choose to not do. So from Jesus' own words and actions, it's not mere faith as an intellectual exercise that he was commanding but love, which is action of the will. Endurance in love and fidelity to the end....

As I contemplate my own mortality and I look at "just the bible" in light of the history of the past 2000 years, I can't help but see that all the early Church fathers and martyrs spoke in Catholic terms not "bible alone" terms. They wrote about bishops, priests and deacons. Consecrated women, vows, relics, and the Mass. The very men who ratified which books were "scripture" and which were merely letters, were bishops of this Church.

So if I want to be in communion with the historic Church founded by Jesus, and my current discipleship should match theirs.... then I need to find and then hold fast to the most original of view points....and that I find in the Catholic Church - warts and all. If I look I find warts in every OTHER group too. So sin proves nothing either way. If I accept the Bible as divinely inspired, then I must accept that the Church of the late 3rd century that ratified those books must have been guided by the Holy Spirit and thus must have had teaching authority.... by then they already had a creed and 7 sacraments etc. thus..... whatever they were, they weren't proto-protestants.
View Quote
Worth a second posting

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A poor anology if you like.  Belief is not something that one says,"I believe!" and thus it is so.  Belief in anything comes to one, or it does not.  No one can make himself believe in something in which he does not believe.  One may wish to believe, can even pray to believe, but there is no way one can force himself to believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is indeed a sad analogy and misses the point.  

A poor anology if you like.  Belief is not something that one says,"I believe!" and thus it is so.  Belief in anything comes to one, or it does not.  No one can make himself believe in something in which he does not believe.  One may wish to believe, can even pray to believe, but there is no way one can force himself to believe.

Actually, it's a very good analogy. One either believes, or does not believe, but belief cannot be switched on or off at will. Any reversal comes as a result of an epiphany, not from a conscious decision to switch.

Yet, Christians keep insisting that belief is a matter of choice, that an atheist could choose to believe God exists. I wonder how many Christians hold the opposite to be true, that they could choose to believe God does not exist.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Jesus answered them, ''Stop complaining among yourselves. No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and then I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the Prophets: And they will all be taught of God. Everyone who has listened to and learned from the Father comes from Me-----not that anyone has seen the Father except the One who is of God. He (Jesus; One) has seen the Father."

The Gospel of Saint John the Beloved
John 6: 43-46
Jesus Christ Pronounces Revelation: Who Has Seen the Father
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#34]
It is not a matter of personal choice the way we generally look at such things concerning who enters in to God's kingdom and who does not. And strictly Biblically speaking, never has been either. Oops!

<><
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#35]
At least not in the earth.
God respects no one according to the flesh or concerning our carnal way of thinking.
It is God's call through Jesus Christ, and who He gave to Him from the eternal realm; and no one else's even come hell or high water from a universal flood, or through the bombardment and cratering of several cites on the northeast side of the Dead Sea!
When Jesus breathed His last on the cross He said with a loud voice, "It is finished!"
And so it is. There are however, a few more details that still need sorting pertaining to salvation's sake and obtaining a certain number through God's grace toward all men.
And in this, it is still a great mystery to this very day!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#36]
We all have our crosses to bear.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Actually, it's a very good analogy. One either believes, or does not believe, but belief cannot be switched on or off at will. Any reversal comes as a result of an epiphany, not from a conscious decision to switch.

Yet, Christians keep insisting that belief is a matter of choice, that an atheist could choose to believe God exists. I wonder how many Christians hold the opposite to be true, that they could choose to believe God does not exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is indeed a sad analogy and misses the point.  

Oh Stanc-ee.  So silly.People believe that the universe goes on forever and has no end.. and we have no proof of this. No epiphany there. We're guessing. Just because we can't see there is an end  it is perfectly possible RIGHT?

Of course we can choose not to believe. People walk away from their faith all the time!!! Faith tends to get in the way of their lifestyles and choices that may not necessarily neatly align with their life.  It's so easy for them. Its a relationship after all.    I have seen people turn love on and off with the exact same precision of a light switch the second something fancier comes along or the need is met and they have no further use. We call that one night stand.  That is no epiphany, that simply being selfish beyond comprehension.

We do have many choices HERE where we are free to worship. In contrast lets look at what is going on in  IRAQ now where people who claim ... claim to be Muslim... have maimed molested pillaged raped kidnapped enslaved committed genocide against those who dare to call themselves Christian. This excludes the many who were forced to deny Christ and profess a belief in Allah or they could choose to be corralled on a mountain where they will more than likely die... and oh by the way.. non belief wasn't an option. The deciding factor was life or death. I have heard some who disagree with Christianity completely dismiss the human factor.The reference was that we are just " vermin and just thinning the herd".

People in Germany chose to  believe the propaganda they were being told, and said they had NO clue of the atrocities being committed against their neighbors; despite the smell or  seeing the people on the rail cars or being marched into the gates of the camp or being workers there.  Shocked when they found out! And more than likely LIED to not be prosecuted as war criminals. Turned it on and turned it off which ever way the wind blew. Another act of selfishness.

People believe that those who are given fiduciary title will do right by them merely because they have that title. Police, Teachers, Lawyer, Doctors, and others in authority... we put a lot of faith in those titles automatically I might add! These are HUMANS  and we chose to believe in their titles sometimes without questioning.  We blindly defer to them all the time.

What about friendship.... to their face you are their friend. The second they are away you a talking behind their back. ON AND OFF Like a SWITCH.

Faith is a choice that can be turned on or off. Maturity in your faith, believing in depth, knowing Christ and why you believe... living it. Repenting... that takes some time and growth.   Except for SAUL who got blinded and knocked of his horse. It was a love tap. God just wanted to get his attention.

You cannot force people to BELIEVE or  LOVE or HOPE.

God knows this. And God doesn't want someone to be forced to believe or LOVE Him. In fact... God insists that that doesn't happen. Lucifer was all about using his power to force belief and love so there would be no need for Christ. Jealously that Christ would be more beloved than Lucifer...selfishness is evil. He gave us free will so we may have a that choice.  

I am going to say it again. Even a light switch has to have a power source or it is just an innate switch.

And STANC.. since you used the word.. You need to Thank Jesus for the epiphany. Because without the birth of Christ and 3 men of SCIENCE we wouldn't have that word today.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#38]
You mean like ex-communication could be an "epiphany" which brings forth death?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#39]
The people in Germany had the prophet Isaiah just like we do now.
Jesus said, "Without Me you can do nothing."
So in this, can we make something out of nothing except what the human senses dictate?
What does the Bible state about this, and making any reference to a free will scenario concerning the "creation" of mankind?
We work as we have always worked, which is on a kingdom demand basis constantly.
In other words, God speaks and we move. It doesn't matter how or why that the sensuality of man doesn't witness to this very often.
But it is so all the same.
Don't believe it, then go get your Bible sista!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#40]
How can you walk away from something that you never had?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#41]
<><
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#42]
<><
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#43]
<><

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When they had eaten breakfast, Jesus asked Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these (or more than the other disciples like himself)?" ''Yes Lord, he said to Him, "You know that I love You." "Feed My lambs, "He told him."

A second time He asked him, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" "Yes Lord," he said to Him, "You know that I love you." "Shepherd My sheep, "He told him."

He asked him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because Jesus had asked him three times, "Do you love Me?" He said, "Lord, You know everything! You must know that I love You."

"Feed My sheep, "Jesus said, "For I assure you: When you were young, you would tie your belt and walk wherever you wanted. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands and someone else will bind you and carry you where you don't want to go."

He said this in order to signify by what kind of death he would glorify God with.
After saying this, Jesus told him, "Follow Me!"

Saint John: Disciple of Christ
John 21: 15-19
Jesus Threefold Restoration of Simon Peter

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peter told Him, "Even if everyone runs away, I will not!"

" I assure you," Jesus said to him, "today, this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times!"
But He kept insisting, "If we have to die with You, I will never deny You!"
And they all said the same thing.

Mark 14:29-31

Sword, awake against My shepherd, against the man who is My associate-------The LORD's Declaration
Strike the shepherd and the sheep will be scattered; I will also turn My hand against the little ones.

Zechariah 13: 7

When they had eaten breakfast, Jesus asked Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these (or more than the other disciples like himself)?" ''Yes Lord, he said to Him, "You know that I love You." "Feed My lambs, "He told him."

A second time He asked him, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" "Yes Lord," he said to Him, "You know that I love you." "Shepherd My sheep, "He told him."

He asked him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because Jesus had asked him three times, "Do you love Me?" He said, "Lord, You know everything! You must know that I love You."

"Feed My sheep, "Jesus said, "For I assure you: When you were young, you would tie your belt and walk wherever you wanted. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands and someone else will bind you and carry you where you don't want to go."

He said this in order to signify by what kind of death he would glorify God with.
After saying this, Jesus told him, "Follow Me!"

Saint John: Disciple of Christ
John 21: 15-19
Jesus Threefold Restoration of Simon Peter

<><
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The people in Germany had the prophet Isaiah just like we do now.

Jesus said, "Without Me you can do nothing."

So in this, can we make something out of nothing except what the human senses dictate?

What does the Bible state about this, and making any reference to a free will scenario concerning the "creation" of mankind?

We work as we have always worked, which is on a kingdom demand basis constantly.

In other words, God speaks and we move. It doesn't matter how or why that the sensuality of man doesn't witness to this very often.

But it is so all the same.

Don't believe it, then go get your Bible sista!
View Quote

SAE ... confused here.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Biblically prove it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Tell me that God does not take responsibility for all things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Biblically prove it.
View Quote

Prove what?

You posted and quoted your posts.

Not sure which part you want to have proved.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tell me that God does not take responsibility for all things.
View Quote

<><
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Prove what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Biblically prove it.
Prove what?

Correlation concerning a method of prophetic accuracy.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top