BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First, remember that Jesus was indeed...a man. He is the Word made flesh and He dwelt among us as a man. He died as a man, and he came back from death not as some ghost or spirit, but as a man who conquered death.

Second, remember that the words of Jesus in the four gospels were not recorded by Jesus. They were recorded by four of His apostles, who also wrote Acts and some of the epistles which you seem to be discounting. Jesus Himself, while He was on earth, did not write one word of the Bible.

Third, and you may or may not buy this as they are the words of Paul, but:

Not some Scripture, not just the Scripture in the gospels, but ALL Scripture.

ETA: If you don't believe that Paul is to be believed, note that Luke, who recorded one of the gospels and is therefore one of the four writers you believe, also recorded that Paul was Christ's own chosen vessel. Luke records these words of Christ in Acts:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are referring to The Lord's Supper, Jesus told ALL followers to do that. Not something the catholics came up with. You guys actually think that Paul and Peter practiced "Catholicism"? If it ain't in the book of Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John it isn't from Jesus but man.

First, remember that Jesus was indeed...a man. He is the Word made flesh and He dwelt among us as a man. He died as a man, and he came back from death not as some ghost or spirit, but as a man who conquered death.

Second, remember that the words of Jesus in the four gospels were not recorded by Jesus. They were recorded by four of His apostles, who also wrote Acts and some of the epistles which you seem to be discounting. Jesus Himself, while He was on earth, did not write one word of the Bible.

Third, and you may or may not buy this as they are the words of Paul, but:

2 Timothy 3:16, 17
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Not some Scripture, not just the Scripture in the gospels, but ALL Scripture.

ETA: If you don't believe that Paul is to be believed, note that Luke, who recorded one of the gospels and is therefore one of the four writers you believe, also recorded that Paul was Christ's own chosen vessel. Luke records these words of Christ in Acts:

Acts 9:15, 16
But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

I believe Paul's writings. I don't believe that Acts 9:15 is God creating the "Catholic" church because it doesn't say that. Where in any of Scripture does it say to practice how the catholics do?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My beliefs are based not on men but the eye witness accounts of Christ's teachings. To me the rest of the NT is very good and valuable information that is put forth by disciples of Christ to other Christians giving them advice and instructions on how to be Christians and not to lose faith. Good and valuable information to be sure but not the Word of God. This is my belief and I know it's not the "Protestant" beliefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are referring to The Lord's Supper, Jesus told ALL followers to do that. Not something the catholics came up with. You guys actually think that Paul and Peter practiced "Catholicism"? If it ain't in the book of Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John it isn't from Jesus but man.

And yet Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were men, and everything Catholicism stands for is based on those books and the rest of the NT...

Are you now suggesting that everything besides the Gospels is not to be read as Scripture?

My beliefs are based not on men but the eye witness accounts of Christ's teachings. To me the rest of the NT is very good and valuable information that is put forth by disciples of Christ to other Christians giving them advice and instructions on how to be Christians and not to lose faith. Good and valuable information to be sure but not the Word of God. This is my belief and I know it's not the "Protestant" beliefs.

Ah. That explains much.

Ok. I was there once, too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
What denomination were the seven churches (Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea. that John wrote to at the behest of Jesus (via a vision on Patmos) in the book of Revelation?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe Paul's writings. I don't believe that Acts 9:15 is God creating the "Catholic" church because it doesn't say that. Where in any of Scripture does it say to practice how the catholics do?
View Quote

I'm not saying that it does. I'm telling you that you ought to consider your position on believing only what is written in the four gospels. You said that if it ain't in Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John, it's not from God but from men.

Out of curiosity, what do you think about the Old Testament?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

FYI, the passage in Isaiah are not the words of Christ, but of God the Father about Christ.

If you look back at the beginning of the quote (verse 15), it tells you exactly who is speaking: "Thus says the Lord GOD of hosts...." The Hebrew word translated "GOD" is Yehovih, or Jehovah. The Vulgate translates the words "Lord GOD" as "Dominus Deus." There's really not any questioning that the words in Isaiah 22:21 are those of God, not of Christ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Found them! Interesting that a professed christian denies the words of Christ himself.

Isaiah 22:21
And I will clothe him with thy robe, and will strengthen him with thy girdle, and will give thy power into his hand: and he shall be as a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. 22 And I will lay the key of the house of David upon his shoulder: and he shall open, and none shall shut: and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Matthew 16:18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

FYI, the passage in Isaiah are not the words of Christ, but of God the Father about Christ.

If you look back at the beginning of the quote (verse 15), it tells you exactly who is speaking: "Thus says the Lord GOD of hosts...." The Hebrew word translated "GOD" is Yehovih, or Jehovah. The Vulgate translates the words "Lord GOD" as "Dominus Deus." There's really not any questioning that the words in Isaiah 22:21 are those of God, not of Christ.
The response was to a request to 'find the keys.' The keys in Isaiah represent a 'chief steward' or 'prime minister' position in the Davidic kingdom. The words from Matthew are clearly the words of Christ bestowing a similar position on Peter. Its called typeology.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yet Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were men, and everything Catholicism stands for is based on those books and the rest of the NT...

Are you now suggesting that everything besides the Gospels is not to be read as Scripture?

Thank you, Pope HighLigher for your personal interpretation of scripture.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Where in scripture does it say 'faith alone' or 'scripture alone?' Hint: It doesn't.

I have volumes about Catholic belief and practice in scripture. Here's a few favorites.

John 6:54 Then
Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh
of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.

55 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

Catholics interpret this literally. Jesus had an opportunity to correct or modify this statement and he didn't. He let the non believers walk away.

Acts 2:42 And they were persevering in the doctrine of the apostles, and in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers.

The nouns in this verse of Acts are 'articular nouns.' They refer to specific doctrines, breaking of the bread and specific prayer --- wow! liturgy!
I can do this all day...

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are welcome. You see I don't need a "pope" or any religious organization to tell me what I think. Read the Scripture, pray to God in Jesus' name, and wait for the Holy Spirit to lead me. Jesus is my "pope" and it is wonderful!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not saying that it does. I'm telling you that you ought to consider your position on believing only what is written in the four gospels. You said that if it ain't in Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John, it's not from God but from men.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that the OT was inspired by God. The OT is not only history but religious instruction for the Jews. The Law. I view the catholic church much like the Jews, they need a religious order to try to obtain salvation. Jesus Christ did away with that and is the only Priest I need.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe that the OT was inspired by God. The OT is not only history but religious instruction for the Jews. The Law. I view the catholic church much like the Jews, they need a religious order to try to obtain salvation. Jesus Christ did away with that and is the only Priest I need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

indeed...

highlighter;  who interprets Scripture for you?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the ways the Lord convicted me about my views of His Church was to expose to me the reality that tho as a Protestant I SAID the "Bible" was all that mattered, what really mattered was only my personal interpretation of a shortened version of the Scriptures.

I also got tripped up by terms I thought were "not Biblical" like for example, the "Mass".  Where is the word "MASS" in the Bible I said?  Indeed...same place as the word "Trinity".  Nowhere.  Tho both concepts are clearly taught.

"Tradition" was another word that ripped me up.  Yet as we see in the thread topic, the "T"radition existed all the way back into the Scriptures, tho TRADITION preceded "Scriptures" and indeed without TRADITION, rightly understood, we would not have the canon of Scripture at all.

You see, we do not worship a book, we worship Christ, who has given us both verbal and written teachings that were handed down by the Apostles.

As for the rubbish about the "Copts" {where does such gibberish come from?} we have the Didache which is a text that precedes some of the New Testament and indicates doctrines taught by the Catholic faith ever since.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The response was to a request to 'find the keys.' The keys in Isaiah represent a 'chief steward' or 'prime minister' position in the Davidic kingdom. The words from Matthew are clearly the words of Christ bestowing a similar position on Peter. Its called typeology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found them! Interesting that a professed christian denies the words of Christ himself.

Isaiah 22:21
And I will clothe him with thy robe, and will strengthen him with thy girdle, and will give thy power into his hand: and he shall be as a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. 22 And I will lay the key of the house of David upon his shoulder: and he shall open, and none shall shut: and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Matthew 16:18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

Fine, but the way you said it sounded as if you were saying that Isaiah was conveying a message from Christ to Peter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly, he told ALL followers to do that.  'Catholic' literally means 'universal' - in other words, at its inception, it was the church of all believers.

But I get that you don't agree with that.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This right here.
Look, I don't want to cast aspersions upon other Christian sects, but the Bible and early Christian writings all clearly state that Peter was given the keys to the Kingdom, and that what he bound and loosed on earth would be bound and loosed in heaven. The early Christian writings show Peter passing this authority down, and so forth until the current Pope.
Does this mean the Popes were perfect? Nope. Some of them were absolute tyrants, but interestingly enough, none of them ever taught heresy. This is not because they were infallible, but rather because Christ Himself promised that nothing would stand against the Church He was building upon Peter.
That different ideas would pop up during the centuries is understood and even healthy, because they are debated, studied, considered, and ruled upon. This provides us with the assurance that the decisions are overseen by Christ Himself through the Pope.
It's the biggest problem I had as a Protestant; every pastor could say whatever he wanted, and was answerable only to however his congregation interpreted their Bible. Not good, IMHO...
My .223...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Catholic=early church

Just ignore the Copts.
I will. I don't remember JC delivering the keys to Andrew.

This right here.
Look, I don't want to cast aspersions upon other Christian sects, but the Bible and early Christian writings all clearly state that Peter was given the keys to the Kingdom, and that what he bound and loosed on earth would be bound and loosed in heaven. The early Christian writings show Peter passing this authority down, and so forth until the current Pope.
Does this mean the Popes were perfect? Nope. Some of them were absolute tyrants, but interestingly enough, none of them ever taught heresy. This is not because they were infallible, but rather because Christ Himself promised that nothing would stand against the Church He was building upon Peter.
That different ideas would pop up during the centuries is understood and even healthy, because they are debated, studied, considered, and ruled upon. This provides us with the assurance that the decisions are overseen by Christ Himself through the Pope.
It's the biggest problem I had as a Protestant; every pastor could say whatever he wanted, and was answerable only to however his congregation interpreted their Bible. Not good, IMHO...
My .223...

Why do you need a man to interpret God's word?

You have one Father and He is in Heaven.

The only thing that matters is following Christ and believing in him.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Prove otherwise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean the Catholic Church, right?
Catholic=early church

Nope.
Prove otherwise.

With all due respect, there are those (myself included) who believe that the Roman Catholic church is the falling away prophesied in 2nd Thessalonians 2. I also believe that through the times of persecution and suppression by various geopolitical powers (sometimes even the RCc) God preserved a remnant of His true church.

The church of Rome was an independent world power from 326 AD when Constantinople became the capitol of the Roman Empire through the Renaissance and Protestant Reformation. During that time monasteries were the European centers of learning. As a result the catholic church had the ability to write history, especially church history, to suit their own purposes.

In my opinion, an examination of the scriptures without the filter of centuries of catholic dogma reveals that God's original design for His church varies quite significantly from both the Roman church and Protestant churches born out of the reformation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The same reason you need a Pastor, except mine is in a direct and unbroken line to the first Pope, Peter the Apostle, who was handed the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven by Christ Himself. In other words, I know my Church is right because Christ said that hell would not stand against it.

Agreed.

The only thing that matters is following Christ and believing in him.  

Agreed. That is the central belief of the Church.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Agreed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed.

Why is the pope addressed as "holy father"?

Doesn't this disagree with the words of Christ in Matthew 23:9?

"But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted"

Here Jesus is speaking about the Pharisees, but He is addressing a group that included His apostles, and I assert that this warning was specifically for His apostles. So why would the self proclaimed modern day "prince of the apostles" allow himself to be called father when Jesus clearly states that this is an appellation reserved for God and God alone?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted"

Here Jesus is speaking about the Pharisees, but He is addressing a group that included His apostles, and I assert that this warning was specifically for His apostles. So why would the self proclaimed modern day "prince of the apostles" allow himself to be called father when Jesus clearly states that this is an appellation reserved for God and God alone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Best way for you to answer your own question is to get back into the Bible.  Why then does Paul refer to himself as "father"??  {etc}
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Best way for you to answer your own question is to get back into the Bible.  Why then does Paul refer to himself as "father"??  {etc}
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Paul refers to himself as father in a metaphorical sense. It's a demonstration of Paul's care for the people he wrote to. It's the same reason that he addresses them as little children. It's not a way for him to demonstrate preeminence.

Jesus is clearly condemning the use of father as an address of preeminence in Matthew 23.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#20]
'Metaphor' card played!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Paul refers to himself as father in a metaphorical sense. It's a demonstration of Paul's care for the people he wrote to. It's the same reason that he addresses them as little children. It's not a way for him to demonstrate preeminence.

Jesus is clearly condemning the use of father as an address of preeminence in Matthew 23.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Well of course!

Good grief, look thruout the Scriptures and "father" is used as a term of endearment and to represent authority;  Joseph, Job, Eliakim, Elijah, Abraham, all are referred to as "father" in the Old Testament and Abraham and Isaac are referred to as "father" in the New Testament.

Christ's words in that passage you refer to are clearly not to taken literally, because "Rabbi" means "teacher" and "doctor" is merely the Latin word for teacher as well, and I bet you call lots of folks both teachers and doctors...and Christ clearly established teachers among the Church!  So should we not refer to professors and algebra tutors as "teachers" because Christ said not to?

Good Sir open your eyes...

Jesus is not forbidding us to call men "fathers" who actually are such—either literally or spiritually.  He is referring to those who should not be granted authority outside their scope, those who would assert authority not granted them.

The Holy Father is a spiritual father to all who follow Christ;  he guides and directs, under the direct authority granted him by Christ himself.

Now, who SHOULDN'T BE called "father"?

Any leader {especially Protestants leaders} who assert authority not granted him by Christ.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
'Metaphor' card played!
View Quote

1 Corinthians 4:14-15"I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you. For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers:for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel."

"As my beloved sons" - Actual sons or metaphorical sons?

Philippians 2:22 "But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel." - Was Timothy's actual son or metaphorical son?

When a metaphor is used a single aspect or limited aspects of the symbol are used to demonstrate attributes of what is being described. In these passages Paul is not using the symbol of a father to demonstrate his preeminence over the brethren at Corinth or Timothy. It would be this use of the appellation of father that Jesus warns against in Matthew 23.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Holy Father is a spiritual father to all who follow Christ;  he guides and directs, under the direct authority granted him by Christ himself.

View Quote

I follow Christ and I have no relationship with or to the pope.

Matthew 23 does not state that we should not call anyone rabbi, but that we should not be called rabbi as some love to be openly addressed in public. They love the honor of being called rabbi. Nor should we call a man father because the title of father, and more importantly the honor associated with that title is reserved for God.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Matthew 23 does not state that we should not call anyone rabbi, but that we should not be called rabbi as some love to be openly addressed in public. They love the honor of being called rabbi. Nor should we call a man father because the title of father, and more importantly the honor associated with that title is reserved for God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Protestant version of "I follow Christ" is, ultimately, defined by nne other than themselves; "I" define who and what Christ is...for "me".

This is the problem:  When Christ ascended, he left us with a test.

Do we REALLY believe in His promises...or do we "believe" only in those promises we are comfortable with.

Protestants recoil at the thought that Christ would actually promise to leave us with an actual Church, a body.  This is not surprising since they reject His Body in the first place.  When I came to grips with that, I was ashamed.  And I could do nothing other than accept Christ, that is, truly ACCEPT Him for what He did in full, part of which was the bestowing of real, functioning authority even on imperfect people.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Protestant version of "I follow Christ" is, ultimately, defined by nne other than themselves; "I" define who and what Christ is...for "me".

Do we REALLY believe in His promises...or do we "believe" only in those promises we are comfortable with.

Protestants recoil at the thought that Christ would actually promise to leave us with an actual Church, a body.  This is not surprising since they reject His Body in the first place.  When I came to grips with that, I was ashamed.  And I could do nothing other than accept Christ, that is, truly ACCEPT Him for what He did in full, part of which was the bestowing of real, functioning authority even on imperfect people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing I'm not a Protestant.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#26]

The answers to all our questions are with Jesus. He said many things, read them for yourself. Ask Him in prayer to be the leader of your life. Follow him and turn from sin. Sin no more. You can do it with His help, the Holy Spirit.

He is the one we need to be following. Not a man, as men seek glory, power, and titles. Worship belongs to God.

Humble is the way to be.

Does this look humble to you?

I only suggest you pray to Jesus for Him to show you that He is the way, the truth, and the life.

That's what I have done. I follow Him. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one.

I worship none but God.

God Bless you my brothers in Christ.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Catholic=early church  
Just ignore the Copts.
Paul was the apostle onto the Gentiles.
Look at the New Testament as to what both wrote. Peter only has two small books towards the back. The majority is by Paul.
Also, look who was upbraided for siding with the Jews and keeping the Gentiles on the margins of Christianity.
That should tell you something about relative importance.

But as the Orthodox Presbyterian Church teaches, "Liberty in doctrine, unity in Christ." ; so, I will accept the Catholics as Christian brothers since they profess Christ as the Savior and not hold a bias against them for their distinct beliefs. For once we both cross the River Jordan, it will be immaterial at that point anyway.

Now, on topics such as 9mm vs. .40 S&W or beans in chili; then it's game on!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

indeed...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

indeed...

I do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]
So where do you catholics say that non-catholics go wrong? I already know part of that answer and it's by not believing in the catholic church. But how else are non-catholics gone astray?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Look at the New Testament as to what both wrote. Peter only has two small books towards the back. The majority is by Paul.
Also, look who was upbraided for siding with the Jews and keeping the Gentiles on the margins of Christianity.

But as the Orthodox Presbyterian Church teaches, "Liberty in doctrine, unity in Christ." ; so, I will accept the Catholics as Christian brothers since they profess Christ as the Savior and not hold a bias against them for their distinct beliefs. For once we both cross the River Jordan, it will be immaterial at that point anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Catholic=early church  
Just ignore the Copts.

Very good post bro! I just get nauseous every time a catholic refers to the catholic church as "the church".
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The answers to all our questions are with Jesus. He said many things, read them for yourself. Ask Him in prayer to be the leader of your life. Follow him and turn from sin. Sin no more. You can do it with His help, the Holy Spirit.

He is the one we need to be following. Not a man, as men seek glory, power, and titles. Worship belongs to God.

Humble is the way to be.

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/pius.jpg?w=470

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/prostrate-to-pope.jpg?w=470

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/williamsandthepope.jpg?w=441&h=339

I only suggest you pray to Jesus for Him to show you that He is the way, the truth, and the life.

That's what I have done. I follow Him. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one.

I worship none but God.

View Quote

You really are stretching on that 2nd picture.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I still believe also that Christ was referring to the "Revelation" knowledge that the Father gave to Peter in order for him to make utterance to the fact that indeed Jesus was in his words and prompted by the Holy Spirit of God, "You are the Anointed One, the Son of the Living God."

This is what I have received and quite some time ago as to the truth of this happening between Jesus Christ and His disciples recorded in the NT of the Holy Bible.

And nothing more.
In any church we must have this kind of knowledge to be lead properly as God even gave His own life  in order that we receive this omnipotent gift from Him!
To be in us forever! The potential mind of Christ at our disposal!

Hope I don't get flamed too bad but as we know, the possibility in a thread such as this does have its high probabilities!

Thanks,

SAE
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humble is the way to be.

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/pius.jpg?w=470

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/prostrate-to-pope.jpg?w=470

http://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/williamsandthepope.jpg?w=441&h=339

I worship none but God.

Yeah but what about the first one Red?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not even sure if they issue out crowns that are that nice in heaven!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

indeed...

I do.

In spite of the fact that the Scripture says we are not to interpret Scripture as individuals.

THAT is just one of the many reasons Christ gave us the Church, the only Church, the Catholic Church.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Snip
View Quote

Yes, because Protestants and Evangelicals live in ashes and sackcloth....

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So where do you catholics say that non-catholics go wrong? I already know part of that answer and it's by not believing in the catholic church. But how else are non-catholics gone astray?
View Quote

Actually, it's not because you don't believe in the Catholic Church, but rather because everything you believe about the Catholic Church is wrong.

Aside from that, Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide are not based on Scripture, so much so that Protestants had to rip certain books out of the Bible to sort of make their case.

Nowhere in Scripture does it say that Scripture is the only thing to be followed. Where we will all agree is that Scripture cannot be conflicted with.

Sola Fide is also a selective reading. While faith is most definitely required, and is the basis of all, faith without works is dead.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This could be a long post.  I'll keep it short.

Protestants as a whole:

1}  Reject the Real Presence;  Read St John Chapter 6.  Protestantism follows the non-belief of Judas.
2}  Reject the inerrancy of the WHOLE of Scripture.  They pick and choose which books they like and which they don't they junk. The Canon of Scripture that Christ used is not the same list of books Protestants have used since 1825-1875 when the US and British Bible societies finally "succeeded" in purging from the Prot Bible books used and quoted in the NT.
3}  Affirm personal interpretation of Scripture against the teaching of Scripture.
4}  Reject the teaching authority of Tradition which is taught...in Scripture.
5}  Reject the place of Mary in Scripture and in the life of the Church and as Queen of Heaven as presented in Scripture.
6}  Thru their hundreds of "denominations" reject the unity of the faith Christ gave us.  

Yeah, there's more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Protestants as a whole:

1}  Reject the Real Presence;  Read St John Chapter 6.  Protestantism follows the non-belief of Judas.What do you mean?
2}  Reject the inerrancy of the WHOLE of Scripture.  They pick and choose which books they like and which they don't they junk. The Canon of Scripture that Christ used is not the same list of books Protestants have used since 1825-1875 when the US and British Bible societies finally "succeeded" in purging from the Prot Bible books used and quoted in the NT.What "cannon" did Jesus use? The OT? He was Jewish after all and besides as stated earlier in this thread the catholic church is the ones who put the Bible together.
3}  Affirm personal interpretation of Scripture against the teaching of Scripture.
4}  Reject the teaching authority of Tradition which is taught...in Scripture.Paul taught against tradition.
5}  Reject the place of Mary in Scripture and in the life of the Church and as Queen of Heaven as presented in Scripture. Your going to have to show me where that is in the Bible.
6}  Thru their hundreds of "denominations" reject the unity of the faith Christ gave us.  Well, why don't ya'll catholics lead by example, get saved and become Baptist?!

Yeah, there's more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protestants as a whole:

1}  Reject the Real Presence;  Read St John Chapter 6.  Protestantism follows the non-belief of Judas.What do you mean?
2}  Reject the inerrancy of the WHOLE of Scripture.  They pick and choose which books they like and which they don't they junk. The Canon of Scripture that Christ used is not the same list of books Protestants have used since 1825-1875 when the US and British Bible societies finally "succeeded" in purging from the Prot Bible books used and quoted in the NT.What "cannon" did Jesus use? The OT? He was Jewish after all and besides as stated earlier in this thread the catholic church is the ones who put the Bible together.
4}  Reject the teaching authority of Tradition which is taught...in Scripture.Paul taught against tradition.
5}  Reject the place of Mary in Scripture and in the life of the Church and as Queen of Heaven as presented in Scripture. Your going to have to show me where that is in the Bible.
6}  Thru their hundreds of "denominations" reject the unity of the faith Christ gave us.  Well, why don't ya'll catholics lead by example, get saved and become Baptist?!

Yeah, there's more.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#40]
THAT is just one of the many reasons Christ gave us the Church, the only Church, the Catholic Church
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protestants as a whole:

Start w/ reading St Jn Ch 6.

Jesus used the same texts as were included in the Septuagint.  There are numerous citations/references in the NT to the books Protestants tossed out after the Reformation.

Wow.  Just do a word search please and you will see how wrong you are.  The fact that you have suggested this goes to the heart of St Peter's warning to be careful how you read and interpret St Paul's writings, tho.  Again...a word search will fill in the blanks in your knowledge here.  I found these word searches to be quite enjoyable when I as an Evangelical began to actually search for the answers instead of simply restating like a mantra the well-worn Protestant anti-Catholic positions.

Study the Ark.  It is the type of Mary.  What did the Ark contain?

Tablets of the Decalogue {WORD of God AKA Christ Himself},  Manna {Bread of Heaven AKA Christ Himself and the Eucharist} Staff of Aaron {Power/office of Rule over God's people AKA Christ the LORD}.  See Rev 12 for the vision of St John.  Remember he was the "son" Christ gave her. She is the Mother of God as confessed by Elizabeth. All these doctrines have been with the Church from the beginning but have been purged from Protestantism.

That is a great answer that deserves a truthful response;  Because the previous 6 heresies preclude a Catholic believer from rejecting the truth and following a schismatic group.

Yeah, there's more.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#42]
LORD, our Lord, how magnificent is Your name throughout the earth! You have covered the heavens in Your majesty. Because of Your adversaries, You have established a stronghold from the mouths of children and nursing infants, to silence the enemy and avenger (or the avenging fallen angel). When I observe Your heavens, the moon and the stars, which You have set in place, what is man that You would want to remember him?

You made him a little lower than God (or made him lower than the angels, or a god, or a heavenly being in capability and understanding except that of the Son of Man), and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him lord over the works of Your hands; You put everything under his feet. All of the sheep and oxen, as well as the animals in the wild, the birds of the sky, and the fish of the sea (or and all of the creatures which scuttle), passing through the currents of the seas.

LORD, our Lord, how magnificent is Your Name in all of the earth (or Lord how magnificent is Your Name in all of the places where You rule).

A Psalm and Song of David: Son of Jesse: Son of Obed
Psalm 8
God's Glory: Man's Dignity
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Protestants as a whole:

1}  Reject the Real Presence;  Read St John Chapter 6.  Protestantism follows the non-belief of Judas.
2}  Reject the inerrancy of the WHOLE of Scripture.  They pick and choose which books they like and which they don't they junk. The Canon of Scripture that Christ used is not the same list of books Protestants have used since 1825-1875 when the US and British Bible societies finally "succeeded" in purging from the Prot Bible books used and quoted in the NT.
5}  Reject the place of Mary in Scripture and in the life of the Church and as Queen of Heaven as presented in Scripture.  
6}  Thru their hundreds of "denominations" reject the unity of the faith Christ gave us.  

Yeah, there's more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protestants as a whole:

Yeah, there's more.
I have as much problem with #5's contention about a "Queen of Heaven" as I do the Mormon belief that Jesus and Satan were brothers.

Mary is blessed amoung women but the level of "Queen" would put her on par with Christ Himself. James, who was the Lord's brother wasn't found in a cabbage patch.
Again, I go back to the teachings of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church that if one is confused about an interpretation of the Bible, select the one that elevates God & Christ and debases man the most. Christ sits at the right hand of God and the knee of every descendent of Adam shall bow and every tongue will confess that He is the Messiah. Even the Virgin Mary will do so.  

The Jews were awaiting the arrival of the Messiah due to Daniel's prophecy in Daniel Chapter 9 that it would 490 years from the starting of the rebuilding of the temple in 457BC that the Messiah would be cut off. The Romans taking away from the Jewish people the right to condemn someone to death marked the period that Shiloh(the Messiah, Jesus) had already been born(Genesis 49:10). By Mary conceiving a child by Joseph would put an end to the period of time that a 'virgin' would conceive a child. The destruction of the Temple significance is lost to many Christians today but it held all the genealogy information of the Jewish people. No one from that point onward could prove a claim that they were a descendant of King David. I therefore hold that this was necessary to show the distinctness of Jesus's birth and no one else could fit the parameters put forth by the prophets of olde for the one to be the Messiah as typified by Isaiah 53. Succinctly, I believe Mary conceived children by Joseph to show the distinctness of Jesus and eliminate others from being proclaimed the Messiah. Therefore, only one man could be the Messiah and that is Jesus. Hallelujah and maranatha!

If the Roman Catholic Church so chooses to believe whatever they so choose about the Virgin Mary, then they are free to do so. May God bless them for doing so since I have encountered Protestant 'pastors' that deny the Virgin birth as a myth . I may not agree with their doctrines regarding the Virgin Mary but I am not going to call them non-Christians any more than I disagree with the Pentecostal fascination with the least of gifts, speaking in tongues.

Given the rising tide of paganism and discrimination against Christians of all beliefs, we need to focus on where we do have common ground and stand together for the faith and be ready for His soon return!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protestants as a whole:

Start w/ reading St Jn Ch 6.I've read that many times still don't understand what you are saying.

Jesus used the same texts as were included in the Septuagint.  There are numerous citations/references in the NT to the books Protestants tossed out after the Reformation.Examples? Jesus was a Jew did he not follow the "Jewish cannon"?

Wow.  Just do a word search please and you will see how wrong you are.  The fact that you have suggested this goes to the heart of St Peter's warning to be careful how you read and interpret St Paul's writings, tho.  Again...a word search will fill in the blanks in your knowledge here.  I found these word searches to be quite enjoyable when I as an Evangelical began to actually search for the answers instead of simply restating like a mantra the well-worn Protestant anti-Catholic positions. Did not Paul warn against some in keeping with jewish traditions and circumcision?

Tablets of the Decalogue {WORD of God AKA Christ Himself},  Manna {Bread of Heaven AKA Christ Himself and the Eucharist} Staff of Aaron {Power/office of Rule over God's people AKA Christ the LORD}.  See Rev 12 for the vision of St John.  Remember he was the "son" Christ gave her. She is the Mother of God as confessed by Elizabeth. All these doctrines have been with the Church from the beginning but have been purged from Protestantism.
Mary was an instrument that God used. Where does it say to worship/pray to her. Tables of the Decalogue Commandment #1.

That is a great answer that deserves a truthful response;  Because the previous 6 heresies preclude a Catholic believer from rejecting the truth and following a schismatic group.I follow no "group". I follow God.

Yeah, there's more.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#45]
<><
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have as much problem with #5's contention about a "Queen of Heaven" as I do the Mormon belief that Jesus and Satan were brothers.

Mary is blessed amoung women but the level of "Queen" would put her on par with Christ Himself. James, who was the Lord's brother wasn't found in a cabbage patch.
Again, I go back to the teachings of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church that if one is confused about an interpretation of the Bible, select the one that elevates God & Christ and debases man the most. Christ sits at the right hand of God and the knee of every descendent of Adam shall bow and every tongue will confess that He is the Messiah. Even the Virgin Mary will do so.  

The Jews were awaiting the arrival of the Messiah due to Daniel's prophecy in Daniel Chapter 9 that it would 490 years from the starting of the rebuilding of the temple in 457BC that the Messiah would be cut off. The Romans taking away from the Jewish people the right to condemn someone to death marked the period that Shiloh(the Messiah, Jesus) had already been born(Genesis 49:10). By Mary conceiving a child by Joseph would put an end to the period of time that a 'virgin' would conceive a child. The destruction of the Temple significance is lost to many Christians today but it held all the genealogy information of the Jewish people. No one from that point onward could prove a claim that they were a descendant of King David. I therefore hold that this was necessary to show the distinctness of Jesus's birth and no one else could fit the parameters put forth by the prophets of olde for the one to be the Messiah as typified by Isaiah 53. Succinctly, I believe Mary conceived children by Joseph to show the distinctness of Jesus and eliminate others from being proclaimed the Messiah. Therefore, only one man could be the Messiah and that is Jesus. Hallelujah and maranatha!

If the Roman Catholic Church so chooses to believe whatever they so choose about the Virgin Mary, then they are free to do so. May God bless them for doing so since I have encountered Protestant 'pastors' that deny the Virgin birth as a myth . I may not agree with their doctrines regarding the Virgin Mary but I am not going to call them non-Christians any more than I disagree with the Pentecostal fascination with the least of gifts, speaking in tongues.

Given the rising tide of paganism and discrimination against Christians of all beliefs, we need to focus on where we do have common ground and stand together for the faith and be ready for His soon return!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protestants as a whole:

Yeah, there's more.

Could be a very tall order though?
Seems to be too many trust issues at the present.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I could lay out some Scripture in here about several issues that are being discussed right now that would cause some to tear their robes if you know what I mean.
I will not do this though, because it would only cause further strife and that is not right.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Mary is blessed amoung women but the level of "Queen" would put her on par with Christ Himself.

Wrong.  Search the OT and you will find Queenship equated with Motherhood.  Basically, what we call "Queen" is "Queen Mother".  Regardless, there is no equality in OFFICE in Queenship.  You are relying on your personal interpretation to skew, by fear, the proper understanding of the Blessed Virgin.

James, who was the Lord's brother wasn't found in a cabbage patch.

The Blessed Virgin beat you too it.  She already has!

Sorry, but again, what "you believe" is called an opinion, not a doctrine of the faith.  Mary's perpetual virginity has been held from the beginning...except for those 1500 years later who then began to doubt, as they doubted much.

If the Roman Catholic Church so chooses to believe whatever they so choose about the Virgin Mary, then they are free to do so.

And you would be the authority to make this allowance?  This is the problem with "Protestantism". While condemning the existence of a single Pope, they by their own personal opinions AKA doctrines make each one of their millions a "pope".

May God bless them for doing so since I have encountered Protestant 'pastors' that deny the Virgin birth as a myth .

Simple results of personal interpretation.  Just like the Orthodox Presbyterian rejection of the real presence in the Eucharist.  I was a Calvinist Elder and am familiar with the many rejections of the the ancient faith that exist in Calvinism.

I may not agree with their doctrines regarding the Virgin Mary but I am not going to call them non-Christians any more than I disagree with the Pentecostal fascination with the least of gifts, speaking in tongues.

This last statement is a desire we can all agree on except that the truth is, Protestants protest so much of the ancient faith that it becomes very difficult to do so.  Good heavens, the divisions among schismatic Protestant faiths are impossible for the Protestants to bridge, how can they ever hope to reconcile their beliefs/opinions with essentials like the eating of Christ's flesh and the drinking of His blood?    
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, do you believe in and practice the eating of Christ's Body and drinking of His Blood just as He says?  There is not room here nor do I have time to elaborate on the entire faith our Lord gave us.  You'll have to take this study up on your own.

Jesus used the same texts as were included in the Septuagint.  There are numerous citations/references in the NT to the books Protestants tossed out after the Reformation.Examples? Jesus was a Jew did he not follow the "Jewish cannon"?

The "Jewish canon" as we know it today and as Protestants assert it is was different than the collection of writings that were held in Jesus time.  The Masoretic Text is the foundation for the "Jewish canon" but it was not established until AFTER 100 AD.  At the same time the Scribes tossed out the deutero-canonical books {what Protestants call the "Apocrypha"} they threw out the New Testament writings as well.  Of course they did!  Some of the clearest passages pointing to Christ and the theology of the New Testament are found in the deutero-canonicals!

Wow.  Just do a word search please and you will see how wrong you are.  The fact that you have suggested this goes to the heart of St Peter's warning to be careful how you read and interpret St Paul's writings, tho.  Again...a word search will fill in the blanks in your knowledge here.  I found these word searches to be quite enjoyable when I as an Evangelical began to actually search for the answers instead of simply restating like a mantra the well-worn Protestant anti-Catholic positions. Did not Paul warn against some in keeping with jewish traditions and circumcision?

You are confusing Jewish "traditions" with the Tradition Paul commands believers to follow.  Yes, he warns believers against following certain traditions. But yes, he also calls believers to follow both the written texts AND the oral tradition he passed down.  Do a word search.  Clear as day.  Protestants frequently select limited texts to assert their positions.  It is easier to do so.  It is not presenting the truth, but it is presenting an easier to digest, truncated form of the "faith".  

Mary was an instrument that God used. Where does it say to worship/pray to her. Tables of the Decalogue Commandment #1.

Catholic teaching has always condemned worshiping Mary or holding her on a par with Christ.  Sorry, but that is another Prot misunderstanding/misinformation.  Veneration belongs to some, worship only to God. As for prayer, she is an intercessor the same way that you would be if I asked you to pray for me.  Same for the saints of heaven who surround God's throne and pray for us.

That is a great answer that deserves a truthful response;  Because the previous 6 heresies preclude a Catholic believer from rejecting the truth and following a schismatic group. style='color: red;']I follow no "group". I follow God.[/span]

So you are your only Pope, huh?  Who admonishes you when you are wrong or are you never wrong in your interpretation of Scripture or in your actions?  If YOU think it is right...it is and if you don't think something is right...it isn't?  Christ did not leave us in such chaos.  He gave us His Spirit and He gave us His Church, the only Church that can admonish, instruct and interpret Scripture.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So you are your only Pope, huh?  Who admonishes you when you are wrong or are you never wrong in your interpretation of Scripture or in your actions?  If YOU think it is right...it is and if you don't think something is right...it isn't?  Christ did not leave us in such chaos.  He gave us His Spirit and He gave us His Church, the only Church that can admonish, instruct and interpret Scripture.
View Quote

The insistence on the necessity of the pope to render scripture useful to the average Christian makes me wonder why the scriptures are even considered necessary or useful as Paul describes them in 2nd Timothy 3:16. Scripture is not very difficult to understand or interperet unless you're trying to make it say things that it doesn't say. Magisterium is an invention of the Roman church meant to subjugate, not illuminate the Word of God.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top