Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

God particle heh heh.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
How great is our God?

Does anybody truly know?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
But, but...... The Big Bang is settled science!

I'm convinced God does stuff like this just to show us how vain we are.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it? I thought it is just a theory.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Someday the scientists seeking explanations of why there was no big collapse immediately after the universe came into existence may well have to contend with the concept of a creator.
View Quote

I have no problem with the idea of a Creator. It is the Christian God, with the irrational and sadistic behavior attributed to him in the Bible, that I find it very difficult to think of as real.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
You mean Christian "god" right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course it is!  Science cannot prove the past, it can offer plausible explanations.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is, and supported by a good body of evidence.

[LouisCK] But maybe..... [\LouisCK]

It apparently needs a few more tweaks....
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How great is our God?

Does anybody truly know?
View Quote

just as great as others.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
that article is afucking joke. its not different then what issac newton said about planetary stabilized orbits, that there is nothing to explain them so it must be god by default. Then low and behold, technological advances gave way to new machine capabilities and the next person had no problem explaining it and when asked "where is god in your explanation" he replied, "i had no use for that theory"

PERIMETER OF IGNORANCE by Neil DeGrasse Tyson READ IT
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
that article is afucking joke. its not different then what issac newton said about planetary stabilized orbits, that there is nothing to explain them so it must be god by default. Then low and behold, technological advances gave way to new machine capabilities and the next person had no problem explaining it and when asked "where is god in your explanation" he replied, "i had no use for that theory"

View Quote

Considering the account of history DeGrasse Tyson presented in his Cosmos reboot, he'd be just the person to write about ignorance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

An arrogant, condescending elitist who thinks he is smarter than everyone around him. Oh, and a communist to boot.

He's not even a good scientist judging by that pathetic Cosmos reboot. Not only did he not bother to get the FACTS of history right, but he slobber end all over the anthropomorphic global warming knob, that has less evidence supporting it than does the existence of God.

I look forward to seeing him shrug his shoulders and roll his eyes when God is asking him the questions....

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
The universe is full of unknown, unknowable, maybe even forgotten things. Every thinking man stands in awe before the realization that something exists when nothing should. The mystery of existence is not tantamount to proof of God, however, and most certainly not any particular one from the pantheon of chimeric gods human societies have come up with.

It is even more, I want to say 'foolish', but let's go with 'unhelpful' to try and catch scientists at some mistake or contradiction or unknown, and try to turn that into some argument or proof of God. Your God.

It shows you don't understand how science works, or what science "is", or betrays a lack of faith; in all likelihood, all three at once.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is. It's one of those things that can never be proven by science and one has to take it on faith.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Inappropriate for this forum.  ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is. It's one of those things that can never be proven by science and one has to take it on faith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, not really. The proof is pretty clear.

What I'm laughing at is the know-it-all scientists getting a small poke with a stick.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The universe is full of unknown, unknowable, maybe even forgotten things. Every thinking man stands in awe before the realization that something exists when nothing should. The mystery of existence is not tantamount to proof of God, however, and most certainly not any particular one from the pantheon of chimeric gods human societies have come up with.

It is even more, I want to say 'foolish', but let's go with 'unhelpful' to try and catch scientists at some mistake or contradiction or unknown, and try to turn that into some argument or proof of God. Your God.

It shows you don't understand how science works, or what science "is", or betrays a lack of faith; in all likelihood, all three at once.
View Quote

Perhaps it is you who is not clear on what science is. Science is, according to Merriam-Webster, knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method.

The scientific method depends on observation and repeatability. Until something is observable and repeatable, it is not proven according to science.

If something cannot be tested, if something cannot be observed, if something cannot be repeated, it is never considered scientific truth. At best, it can be called a hypothesis or a theory.

As evidenced by your post, those who worship at the altar of SCIENCE often insist that the religious are fools since the existence of God cannot be proven by SCIENCE. Then comes the evangelical call for them to renounce their faith and exchange it for...theories that cannot be proven by SCIENCE.

I always enjoy watching y'all preach your gospel against faith, all the while having your own, deep-seated faith in your own idols. It's pretty fascinating.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What I'm laughing at is the know-it-all scientists getting a small poke with a stick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's so, why do we have to call it, as stanc pointed out, just a theory? Why can we not call it a scientific fact?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I urge you to look up the definition of the word "Theory" as used in science. It is NOT the same definition as in common usage.

Stanc is simply yanking your chain.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe in the Big Bang Theory...God said, "Let there be _____, and BANG, it was there!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I believe in the Big Bang Theory...God said, "Let there be _____, and BANG, it was there!!!
View Quote

Well yeah. I agree.

How physics describes it all is pretty cool, too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, He took six days, and rested on the 7th. He didn't need to take six days, but He was teaching us about the Sabbath, the seven Holy Days, and the seven millennia.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Perhaps it is you who is not clear on what science is. Science is, according to Merriam-Webster, knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method.

The scientific method depends on observation and repeatability. Until something is observable and repeatable, it is not proven according to science.

If something cannot be tested, if something cannot be observed, if something cannot be repeated, it is never considered scientific truth. At best, it can be called a hypothesis or a theory.

As evidenced by your post, those who worship at the altar of SCIENCE often insist that the religious are fools since the existence of God cannot be proven by SCIENCE. Then comes the evangelical call for them to renounce their faith and exchange it for...theories that cannot be proven by SCIENCE.

I always enjoy watching y'all preach your gospel against faith, all the while having your own, deep-seated faith in your own idols. It's pretty fascinating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I daresay my understanding of science goes a little deeper than a dictionary definition, which is why I put what science “is” in quotation marks.

I’m talking about science as a human activity. Its achievements are the product of human thought, the accumulated result of the hard work of the finest minds of our race. But as such, even then, it is susceptible to all the shortcomings inherent to human beings and processes.

Science does not claim some kind of platonic or divinely inspired ideals of absolute, perfect and immutable truths. Science is an attempt by mankind to understand the physical reality we are embedded in, and to do so in human terms, via concepts that can be grasped and objectively discerned by all human minds.

Science gives us a conceptual map of the physical world based on the feedback nature provides to our prodding it; it is hoped and we have confidence that our conceptual map closely corresponds with the underlying physical reality, without losing sight of the fact that “the map is not the territory”. Our scientific ideas are always approximations, mental models of the totality of energy and information which constitutes “reality”.

By way of an illustration, the ancient Greeks (Pythagoreans) conceived of the ‘cosmos’ and celestial objects as perfect spheres circling around a central point and arranged at regular distances (3, 9, 27 distance units and so on). Today, we do not laugh at the ancient Greeks and say their science was wrong and stupid. They did the best they could at the time, with the tools and framework of thought that was available to them.

Rather, we take what we think is of value in their work and refine it and build up on it, such as their idea that the universe is orderly, that the earth is part of the same natural order, and that the universe can be described mathematically (by numbers)etc.

Only the alchemy of faith allows people to transmute the vapors of mysticism into unshakeable facts and absolute truth.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Only the alchemy of faith allows people to transmute the vapors of mysticism into unshakeable facts and absolute truth.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.

But totally garbage in reality...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top