Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 5:00:10 PM EDT
David Ravenhill does a fantastic job capturing a simple/difficult topic - summarizing the purposes of God (the overarching messaged laid out in the Old and New Testament).

He is a great speaker with a lot of wisdom (and humor) and really draws you in.

It's one of my favorite messages and just thought I would share.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlxw0v0jh2n2x7a/David%20Ravenhill%20-%20The%20purposes%20of%20God.mp3
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing op.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
David Ravenhill does a fantastic job capturing a simple/difficult topic - summarizing the purposes of God (the overarching messaged laid out in the Old and New Testament).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlxw0v0jh2n2x7a/David%20Ravenhill%20-%20The%20purposes%20of%20God.mp3
View Quote

I can't view mp3 videos. Is that the same as this YouTube vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1tRTS060uk
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can't view mp3 videos. Is that the same as this YouTube

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't view mp3 videos. Is that the same as this YouTube

My link is a download, but yes that appears to be David speaking the same message at a different church.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't really have enough time right now to listen, but the brother does seem to go about his message in such a way, that it could make for some interesting listening to.

Will comment on it latter.

Beautiful pulpit for sure!

I Likey!

Thanks,

SAE
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My link is a download, but yes that appears to be David speaking the same message at a different church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't view mp3 videos. Is that the same as this YouTube vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1tRTS060uk

Thanks. Can you please tell me at what point does he say what is God's purpose?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't view mp3 videos. Is that the same as this YouTube vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1tRTS060uk

It's kinda spread through the entire message - not a punch line.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh. That's unfortunate. Last night I started to watch it, but right off the bat he spent a lot of time rambling about jigsaw puzzles. So, I "fast forwarded" and stopped at intervals of 4-5 minutes, but never heard mention of God's purpose.

Ravenhill sounds like every other preacher I've ever heard, engaging in constant repetition, droning on monotonously. I've long wondered why preachers take an hour or more to say what could be said in 5 or 10 minutes. Do they just like hearing their own voice, or do they consider people too unintelligent to understand something without having it repeated over and over and over?

However, I did find it rather interesting that he believes God is not omnipotent.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh. That's unfortunate. Last night I started to watch it, but right off the bat he spent a lot of time rambling about jigsaw puzzles. So, I "fast forwarded" and stopped at intervals of 4-5 minutes, but never heard mention of God's purpose.

Ravenhill sounds like every other preacher I've ever heard, engaging in constant repetition, droning on monotonously. I've long wondered why preachers take an hour or more to say what could be said in 5 or 10 minutes. Do they just like hearing their own voice, or do they consider people too unintelligent to understand something without having it repeated over and over and over?

However, I did find it rather interesting that he believes God is not omnipotent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you didn't get the whole message because of fast forwarding, but you have an informed opinion. And, of course, a negative opinion at that. Does your game ever change?  Or can we expect this from every thread that doesn't say "for Christians only please"?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weirdest reply ever - "I didn't really listen but here's what I think and I'll grind my axe on preachers while I'm at it."

Enjoy your evening, pal!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you didn't get the whole message because of fast forwarding, but you have an informed opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you didn't get the whole message because of fast forwarding, but you have an informed opinion.

An informed opinion about what?

About God's purpose? I expressed no opinion about that.

That preachers' sermons typically have far more words than truly necessary to address an issue? That has been my experience. How often have you heard a sermon that was very brief and to the point, lasting less than 10 minutes?

That Ravenhill believes God is not omnipotent? That's the logical conclusion from what he says at 1:04:10-1:04:21 in the YouTube video: "God can't do it by himself. God needs laborers."
Does your game ever change?  Or can we expect this from every thread that doesn't say "for Christians only please"?

Nah. Shoot, I don't even read the vast majority of threads, let alone post in them. I only read the very few which have titles that attract my interest or arouse my curiosity. And out of those, I respond to only a fraction.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
That's not what he said.

"I believe that many of the answers that you've prayed, and I am very very much in favor of prayer - prayer for revival, but you know God can't do it by himself.  I knew we'd like him to, I know we'd like him to start moving out there and people just pour into the house of God and it's not impossible, but God needs laborers.  You may have to put feet to your own prayers.  Let me say that again, you may have to put some feet to your own prayers.  

"Oh God, rend the heavens and come down" you know, and God says "Would you go and invite your neighbor to come to the meeting?  Would you go and share with your neighbor about Christ?" - "Oh but Lord, I'm afraid!".
View Quote

IN CONTEXT (which is something you appear to be deliberately twisting), he was talking to people who are willing only to pray and unwilling to DO.  Faith without works, etc...

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's not what he said.

IN CONTEXT (which is something you appear to be deliberately twisting), he was talking to people who are willing only to pray and unwilling to DO.  Faith without works, etc...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's not what he said.
"I believe that many of the answers that you've prayed, and I am very very much in favor of prayer - prayer for revival, but you know God can't do it by himself.  I knew we'd like him to, I know we'd like him to start moving out there and people just pour into the house of God and it's not impossible, but God needs laborers.  You may have to put feet to your own prayers.  Let me say that again, you may have to put some feet to your own prayers.  

"Oh God, rend the heavens and come down" you know, and God says "Would you go and invite your neighbor to come to the meeting?  Would you go and share with your neighbor about Christ?" - "Oh but Lord, I'm afraid!".

Actually, it is precisely what he said, as you yourself show in highlighting the exact phrases I quoted.

And I wasn't "twisting" anything. I was just eliminating all the chaff, and getting down to the wheat.

As I read it, IN CONTEXT he's saying that to get people into the house of God, God needs laborers to make it happen. God would need such laborers only if he is not omnipotent.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Actually, it is precisely what he said, as you yourself show in highlighting the exact phrases I quoted.

And I wasn't "twisting" anything. I was just eliminating all the chaff, and getting down to the wheat.

As I read it, IN CONTEXT he's saying that to get people into the house of God, God needs laborers to make it happen. God would need such laborers only if he is not omnipotent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not what he said.

Matthew 9:36-38 (NASB)

36 Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then He *said to His disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. 38 Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.

For your comment in Red, see Blue.

God chooses to use people, and thats how I would have phrased it instead of "needs". However, I'm not going to throw out the entire message because of how he phrased one sentence.  Especially since - although I would disagree with how he phrased that sentence - it's clear from the rest of the message what his doctrine and viewpoints are.

---

ETA:  dude, stanc - you got me!   I just searched your posts and see you just troll the religion forum.  Over a decade ago I was an atheist/agnostic myself and I got to laugh cause I would have been doing the same thing as you.  If you ever get around to listen to the whole mp3 and are interested in a serious discourse we can chat about it.   Take care buddy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ETA:  dude, stanc - you got me!   I just searched your posts and see you just troll the religion forum.  Over a decade ago I was an atheist/agnostic myself and I got to laugh cause I would have been doing the same thing as you.  If you ever get around to listen to the whole mp3 and are interested in a serious discourse we can chat about it.   Take care buddy.
View Quote

Thanks, but I doubt that I'll view the video in its entirety. I was genuinely curious about what "God's purpose" is, but am not nearly interested enough to endure a 70-minute sermon.

As for what you and some others here call "trolling," I have to say I never thought of it as such. I just get pleasure out of intellectually stimulating, philosophical discussions.

But, although I cannot guarantee it, there's a possibility I may not be bothering you folks again. A few minutes ago, as I was kicked back in my recliner and watching TV, I experienced an odd, almost joyous sensation. Don't know why, but simultaneously I felt a loss of desire to post in this forum. I guess we'll have to wait and see how long those feelings last.

P.S. Do sheep without a shepherd really feel dispirited?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Over a decade ago I was an atheist/agnostic myself...
View Quote

Gotta ask one more question: If you don't mind saying, what caused you to go from atheist to believer?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Alright brothers I'm coming down to the front row to watch.

Got one bag of double butter "Pops Rite" (hopes) left.

I'm In!

Thanks SAE
View Quote

Essentially, for the portion that I have heard of this man expounding on about God's kingdom, I have no major issues about the message that he brings.

SAE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top