Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2013 1:25:15 PM EDT
Katharine Jefferts Schori is a picture perfect example of the twin heresies of our age - humanism and progressivism.

Diversity, not Jesus, saves says Presiding Bishop

The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church has denounced the Apostle Paul as mean-spirited and bigoted for having released a slave girl from demonic bondage as reported in Acts 16:16-34 In her sermon delivered at All Saints Church in Curaçao in the diocese of Venezuela, Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori condemned those who did not share her views as enemies of the Holy Spirit.

“Human beings have a long history of discounting and devaluing difference, finding it offensive or even evil.  That kind of blindness is what leads to oppression, slavery, and often, war.  Yet there remains a holier impulse in human life toward freedom, dignity, and the full flourishing of those who have been kept apart or on the margins of human communities.”  Just as the forces of historical inevitability led to the ending of industrial slavery, so too would the march of progress lead to a change in attitude towards homosexuality, she argued.

She concluded her sermon by stating that we are not justified by our faith but by our respect for diversity.

“Looking for the reflection of God’s glory all around us means changing our lenses, or letting the scales on our eyes fall away.  That kind of change isn’t easy for anyone, but it’s the only road to the kingdom of God.”

Salvation comes not from being cleansed of our sins by the atoning sacrificial death of Jesus Christ, but through the divinization of humanity through the work of the human will. “We are here, among all the other creatures of God’s creation, to be transformed into the glory intended from the beginning...  Celebrate that difference – for it’s necessary for the healing of this world – and know that the wholeness we so crave lies in recognizing the glory of God’s creative invitation.  God among us in human form is the most glorious act we know.”

The article includes a detailed account of her criticism of St Paul, which is brazen in its depravity, literally saying that the Apostle deserved to be thrown in prison for preaching a non-inclusive faith.  

"Paul can’t abide something he won’t see as beautiful or holy, so he tries to destroy it.  It gets him thrown in prison.  That’s pretty much where he’s put himself by his own refusal to recognize that [the slave girl], too, shares in God’s nature, just as much as he does..."

Disgusting.  I'd stand up and start throwing Missals at her.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
He specifically mentions this type of person...........

It's not good to be her when the day comes to answer to Him.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Woman should be defrocked and whipped from the church
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately this is what happens when we choose which parts of the Bible are true, and whether it is God's Word or "Inspired by God". I pray the Holy Spirit leads her to change. She has taken on a role she was not to have, and she has a lot to answer for. She needs our prayers and so do those who listen to her.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Sad.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Two words: "Great" and "abominable".

She seems to fit right in.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
She's nothing more than heathen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#7]
False prophets are more and more common.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]
More idiocy from Jefferts-Schiori, this time environmentalist pantheism:  Katharine Jefferts Schori’s Cosmic Earth Day

Salvation is a cosmic act about all creation “not simply a few human beings,” according to the Episcopal Church’s top bishop. Speaking April 21 at the Washington National Cathedral, Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori gave an Earth Day sermon on becoming “effective shepherds and pasture tenders for the whole creation” but seemed to downplay mankind’s preeminent position in creation, placing humanity on equal footing with microbes.

The Presiding Bishop’s sermon illustrated the interconnectedness of all life with an examination of how humans coexist with bacteria.

“Microbes are part of us, in a very real sense our intimate neighbors or members, and the task is to learn how to manage the system for better health as a whole and in all its parts,” Jefferts Schori proposed.

“This work is about consciousness of our connection to the whole, and tender care of the other parts of that whole,” Jefferts Schori intoned. “It is simply another form of loving our neighbor as ourselves, for the neighbor is actually part of each one of us.”

During the processional hymn “God the sculptor of the mountains” congregants sang of “God the potter of the land: you are womb of all creation.”

Great comment:

If Katherine Schori is any example of what women do as leaders, the RCs and Orthodox won’t be ordaining women for another hundred years. Taking a declining church and pushing it even further left (as in “off the cliff”) is hardly a star in any leader’s crown. Want to bet that Christians in the next century won’t even know the name of this woman who doesn’t believe in salvation but does believe that landfills and carbon footprints are core concerns of the faith?

Link Posted: 5/22/2013 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Libtard gone wild
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
She's a heretic.

Apparently there exists strong disagreement to her sermon, or whatever that was. Good.  I hope the next one is better.

I am of the opinion that the higher clergypersons are more politician than theologian. She makes no attempt to hide it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The answer of course to every one of her affirmations and assertions is to say "so you say..."

See, that's the one thing they are not equipped to defend - they're trained to pooh pooh the Tradition and by default assume whatever heterodox idea that pops into their minds is axiomatically superior and 'right' over the big bad old patriarchy's old style whatever.

But challenging them to substantiate every affirmation, every assertion, every presumption.... with 'so you say' is a really fun Socratic method.

The thing is though, you need to run your own beliefs through the test (and most of us who are conservative have spent a lifetime doing this by default since we've had to given the culture). But liberals/leftists "progressives" typically have not had to do this so aren't very well practiced in it.

So take your pick and see how it goes.... "in the old days women were treated poorly by men" "really? so you say, prove it from original source documents., You know any Roman histories? if Paul had trouble with certain wealthy women then right there it seems to me we've indirect evidence that women could own property and be wealthy - so they weren't all chattle slaves to knuckledragging men... and so on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Jude v 17-19 (KJV)
17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;18 How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
link to original article?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
link to original article?

Tons of links on this.  It got a lot of attention.

This one is really good: Catholic World Report.

Schori apparently doesn't comprehend that a demonic confession is not to be confused with faith freely given. Nor does she appreciate the irony of the story—an irony that echoes similar situations found in the Gospels: the demons acknowledge the true identity of Christ and his followers, but those who are intent on clinging to their power and position refuse to hear the message preached and, in fact, attack those proclaiming the kingdom. As Jesus said: "But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you" (Mt 12:28).

It makes much more sense to recognize that Paul knew that once he cast out the demon, he would be subjected to persecution or worse, and so he waited as long as could to confront the demon. He was willing to be attacked and imprisoned for confronting evil, for standing up to spiritual and temporal powers that rejected the Gospel, and for freeing a slave girl from both demonic and human oppression. Alas, Schori's attachment to the ideology of the present age and the fads of political correctness blind her to what should be obvious to someone professing to be a Christian.

Telling that a humanist would tacitly defend demonic possession while espousing 'diversity'.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#16]
paul apparently knew how to treat an uppity woman in his day.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The look on her face will be epic and horrible when she stands before the King of Kings.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The look on her face will be epic and horrible when she stands before the King of Kings.

There is no way she is naively preaching truth. She spouts off crazy stuff all the time. And frequently puts just enough good stuff in to disguise it.

For instance, she babbled on about the wonders of creation, animals and bugs and stuff, fine I like that too.

Then off on a babbling tangent. I realized that she gave no glory to God in her schpiel.

Im going to reread the link again. Anyhoo, she has an impressive "reseme", lots of degrees.

It kind of scares me how she got the position

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I was an Episcopalian for a few years more than a decade ago. I've experienced this stuff first hand. 'Nuff said.

<shudder>
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Fine example of church vulnerability when collection plates run short of budget needs.

dc.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#23]
2 Peter 2:1 But false prophets arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. These false teachers will infiltrate your midst with destructive heresies, even to the point of denying the Master who bought them. As a result, they will bring swift destruction on themselves.

This is nothing new. Peter was raging against these sorts of things. This particular prediction had come to pass by the time Jude wrote. I suspect the judgment he pronounces happened when the temple was destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Has the Episcopal church said anything about her?

The Episcopal general convention elected her. The libs love her. Conservatives don't.

Link Posted: 6/21/2013 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Episcopal general convention elected her. The libs love her. Conservatives don't.

So there is no body in the Episcopalean church that says "You are preaching against our doctrine - change your ways or you're gone"?

I don't think you're aware of just how liberal the Episcopalians are. They've been going downhill since the 70s. I was once told, when I expressed a conservative view (that couples shouldn't live together before marriage) in a small group the woman rector was sitting in on, "Shut up or get out." I'd seen that happen with someone else as well (I was living in an urban neighborhood without a car for a while, so I went to the closest parish - it at least gave me good firsthand experience of liberal foolishness and nonsense).

The conservatives have tried for years. They're constantly outvoted and outnumbered. That's why a number of parishes have left. There are some court cases going on. ECUSA apparently holds title to all the parish property, the way things are constructed. ECUSA will bankrupt themselves to keep the building, but the conservatives will go on and found another parish under one of the Continuing Anglican bodies.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The article includes a detailed account of her criticism of St Paul, which is brazen in its depravity, literally saying that the Apostle deserved to be thrown in prison for preaching a non-inclusive faith.

She throw herself in prison for not tolerating Paul's views.  

And then give herself a double sentence for not tolerating her intolerance of Paul's views.  Etc.

That's called logic.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The conservatives have tried for years. They're constantly outvoted and outnumbered. That's why a number of parishes have left. There are some court cases going on. ECUSA apparently holds title to all the parish property, the way things are constructed. ECUSA will bankrupt themselves to keep the building, but the conservatives will go on and found another parish under one of the Continuing Anglican bodies.

Wow. I didn't realize that the religion was run by committee.
Kind of makes me glad that us Catholics have those old fogeys in the Vatican to keep us in line and not fall prey to this kind of nonsense.    

It's considered to be very "democratic." It was divided from the Anglican Church in England due to the Revolution. They've been very "democratic" from the beginning. There's even a House of Bishops and House of Deputies to run things - set up like Congress.

I'm Orthodox, we don't go for nonsense like this either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So there is no body in the Episcopalean church that says "You are preaching against our doctrine - change your ways or you're gone"?

I read a while back that some Episcopal dioceses in the US are leaving the US Episcopal Church and aligning with the African Anglican Church due to its conservatism.  

Boston Globe Link.

"All these people brought Christianity to us, but now the church is growing here [in Africa] like wildfire, it's spreading everywhere, while the church in England is withering, the church in the States is going completely, and there has been a cry, 'Why don't you come? You should have come here a long time ago to evangelize,' " said Archbishop Bernard A. Malango, the Anglican primate of Central Africa. "We need to send missionaries, even to Britain; we need to send missionaries to the United States, and we need to send missionaries to Canada, because those who brought the church here have lost what their intention was, and the same Bible they brought to us is being misinterpreted. We find it very odd."

Malango was one of seven Anglican primates, as the archbishops of regional provinces of the Anglican Communion are called, who gathered in Nairobi last Thursday to consecrate as bishops of the Anglican Church of Kenya two former Episcopal priests, including William L. Murdoch of Massachusetts. Then, many of those same primates, from the developing nations of the Southern Hemisphere, went to Kampala on Sunday to consecrate a third American as a bishop of Uganda.

The significance of the consecrations is hotly debated. Episcopal Church officials and their defenders say that most Episcopalians are comfortable with their church's theological direction, and that only a small fraction of Episcopal congregations - 45 of 7,500 - have departed over the controversy. Some liberals go further, saying that the Global South primates are being manipulated and used by American right-wingers who are bent on creating a schism and are exploiting unease over homosexuality to drive a wedge between liberals and conservative Episcopalians. And some liberals argue that the momentum for schism has diminished since 2003, when the uproar ensued over the Episcopal Church's approval of V. Gene Robinson, a gay priest living with a man in a long-term relationship, as the bishop of New Hampshire.

Link on lawsuits.

Just before Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori convened delegates of the remaining Episcopal Church parishes and missions at a special convention Jan. 26, the breakaway group was granted a temporary injunction banning the remaining Episcopalians from using the name of the diocese. That injunction remains in effect.

The order by Circuit Judge Diane Goodstein forced local Episcopalians to temporarily adopt a working name for their diocese so they could conduct business without violating the injunction. At their special convention they chose the name “The Episcopal Church in South Carolina” to use until the issue can be resolved.

The lawsuit by Lawrence and counterclaims by the Episcopal Church and the continuing Episcopalians followed a series of actions in later 2012 that resulted in the Lawrence-led group leaving the Episcopal Church.

In December, Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said she and her Council of Advice agreed Lawrence had renounced his orders by way of his actions and statements by him in the fall of 2012.

Great comment:

[The] “schismatics” aren’t those who feel compelled to separate. Those who fracture the Church are those who have repeatedly tested the patience and good will of the Church by ignoring canons, giving a pass (if not a blessing) to anti-Nicene, Christ denying teachings, and those who have elevated their own spiritual journey above the established teachings of the Church (again found in canons). Just look at a recent small sample of this schismatic behavior. Bishop Spong’s Newark diocese declined about 40% during his tenure, but he was invited by a Virginia diocese to preach at a Good Friday Service, during which time he treated the listener to such personal revelations as how Thomas and Nathaniel (Bartholomew) were likely mythical characters who “may have no more reality than Jane Eyre or Harry Potter.” Or how about the Bishop of Washington DC who recently blogged about the Resurrection that:
“To say that resurrection is essential doesn’t mean that if someone were to discover a tomb with Jesus’ remains in it that the entire enterprise would come crashing down. The truth is that we don’t know what happened to Jesus after his death, anymore than we can know what will happen to us”.
Facts are hostile witnesses; and today’s new media will not cover these types of leaders well for very long. Now, who is the schismatic: the one who holds the faith as taught by this Church and wants to retain the work of their own labor (property), or the leaders who wield control to shape a Church led by their own personal revelations who receive no restraint or discipline from their own colleagues?

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#31]
She works for the great deceiver.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#32]
She concluded her sermon by stating that we are not justified by our faith but by our respect for diversity.      She is sadly wrong.     Bible say, Therefore being justified by faith we have peace with God.   She is a liberal, antichrist, and very foolish. She is not a defender of the Precious Word of God, She is everything Paul said to watch out for..........A Deceiver...........      My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
paul apparently knew how to treat an uppity woman in his day.
View Quote

Explain.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't think you're aware of just how liberal the Episcopalians are. They've been going downhill since the 70s. I was once told, when I expressed a conservative view (that couples shouldn't live together before marriage) in a small group the woman rector was sitting in on, "Shut up or get out." I'd seen that happen with someone else as well (I was living in an urban neighborhood without a car for a while, so I went to the closest parish - it at least gave me good firsthand experience of liberal foolishness and nonsense).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Diocesan bishops hold title to all church property in their respective dioceses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#35]
More from our favorite Secular Humanist masquerading as clergy:  Decline is God's Way of Pruning.

The head of The Episcopal Church has stated that the declining numbers of her denomination could be the work of the Holy Spirit to create "greater fruitfulness."

TEC Presiding Bishop the Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori made this statement last Thursday in remarks delivered at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly in Pittsburgh.  "Some have judged our smaller numbers as faithlessness but it may actually be the Spirit's way of pruning for greater fruitfulness," said Jefferts Schori.

"If we see ourselves standing at the foot of the cross, any such judgment will be far less important than our response."

Between 2010 and 2011, ELCA membership went from about 4.2 million to just over 4 million, representing a loss of more than 212,000 members.  During the same time period, The Episcopal Church had a decrease of over 28,000 members, causing the number of members in its domestic dioceses to dip below the 2 million mark.<

Jefferts Schori also told those gathered for the ELCA's Churchwide Assembly in Pittsburgh about the benefit of diversity in the Christian community.  "Jesus has given us to one another – all of us – and we will not live faithfully if we forget who it is we see or seek in those others," said Jefferts Schori.

"The body of Christ has need of all its diverse parts, working together, for the building up of God's beloved community and creation."
View Quote

Maybe she should fully embrace the wonders-of-decline meme and let the people leaving take their churches and other properties with them?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Isn't declining numbers the very opposite of the definition of fruitfulness?!?  How else would you measure it?

I'm surprised she hasn't been appointed to a position of some sort by obama. It would be biblical.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Isn't declining numbers the very opposite of the definition of fruitfulness?!?  How else would you measure it?

I'm surprised she hasn't been appointed to a position of some sort by obama. It would be biblical.
View Quote

Declining numbers might not be such a bad thing so long as you're hanging on to the $$$ and property, like Jefferts-Schiori seems determined to do.

In that sense, she's the polar opposite of Jesus.  Instead of feeding the multitudes with three fish and a basket of crumbs, she's taking over a mountain of wealth and telling everyone to GTFO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Or why I left the Episcopal Church in search of Christianity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Not every church likes that women. In fact it seems most dont, which makes me wonder how she got that position.

I also can't figure out her background vs theology. And the way she mixes what seems like sound doctrine with batshit crazy stuff. She seems more like a politician.

She seems to have other motivators besides giving God the glory and the bible does tell us "by your fruits you shall know them. ".  Her "fruit" seems rotten to me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top