Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2008 11:03:46 AM EDT
Hey guys, I have a 2001 Siverado Z71 with 99k miles. I have a squeak when accelerating from 0-20 mph approximately and have dialed the squeak down to the U-Joint at the differential. Great truck minus little quirks.

This is my daily driver and although I have in my past replaced many U-Joints with the socket and hammer method, this is an aluminum drivershaft. Is there anything I need to know before I pull the driveshaft out of the truck? Anything to be careful about?

Better to try and press them out with a vise? I don't have a hydraulic press. Do these U-Joints have eposy holding them in from the factory?

Opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
patriot - factory u-joints have to be heated with a torch to burn them out before you can press them.  Heat them until you hear a load "POP" (wear safety glasses) then you can beat them out, or press them out with a vise.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
patriot - factory u-joints have to be heated with a torch to burn them out before you can press them.  Heat them until you hear a load "POP" (wear safety glasses) then you can beat them out, or press them out with a vise.  

Don't forget to do it while still hot because the injected nylon will resolidify when it begins to cool and will "freeze" up.

Also, clean the driveshaft U-joint holes well and LIGHTLY crocus cloth them then lightly coat with moly or bearing grease before attempting to seat the new U-joints.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Will MAPP Gas get them hot enough to pop them out? Is it safe to beat them out with a socket and hammer? Or....will a standard bench vise push them out once hot?

Is this a common chevy truck issue? I have racked my brain on this squeak and have settled on the U joints. Like I said, only at acceleration between 0-20 mph.

Now if I could stop the fucking piston slap I'd be a happy man. Although, drom what I understand, the piston slap when cold is normal for the skirtless cast aluminum pistons in a 5.3. Great motor, just a little noisey at start-up when chilly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. Will MAPP Gas get them hot enough to pop them out? Is it safe to beat them out with a socket and hammer? Or....will a standard bench vise push them out once hot?

Is this a common chevy truck issue? I have racked my brain on this squeak and have settled on the U joints. Like I said, only at acceleration between 0-20 mph.

Now if I could stop the fucking piston slap I'd be a happy man. Although, drom what I understand, the piston slap when cold is normal for the skirtless cast aluminum pistons in a 5.3. Great motor, just a little noisey at start-up when chilly.

Propane is hot enough . There are injection holes on both sides of the loops . Heat
from the center towards the holes and the nylon will expand out the holes like a
couple snakes . Once you get about 2" out each hole the cap will come free even
after it cools down .  A bench vice with a couple of sockets will work fine .
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Propane is hot enough . There are injection holes on both sides of the loops . Heat
from the center towards the holes and the nylon will expand out the holes like a

If you have steel spring clips holding the caps in then you don't need to burn out the nylon. Look for holes on either side of the u-joint yolk. If no holes= no nylon.

Then just chose your favorite way to replace them.

I like a well mounted vice and a hammer.

If you are getting a squeak-squeak-squeak only when moving it's probably a u-joint.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have steel spring clips holding the caps in then you don't need to burn out the nylon. Look for holes on either side of the u-joint yolk. If no holes= no nylon.

Then just chose your favorite way to replace them.

I like a well mounted vice and a hammer.

If you are getting a squeak-squeak-squeak only when moving it's probably a u-joint.

Yep, old school u-joint clips holding the caps in place, I will check for the holes. I'm hoping I can buy U-Joints with grease fittings on them, the stock U-Joints have no grease fittings.

Squeak, squeak, squeak 0-20/25 mph only when accelerating.

Thanks everybody for the help.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Try NAPA they should have greaseable ones for your application.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Try NAPA they should have greaseable ones for your application.

I stopped by the parts store today, looks like they have two sizes. One is like 1.06" caps and one is 1.125" caps. I certainly hope they have both in stock when I press them out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top