Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
Author
Posted: 9/1/2008 3:03:46 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2001 Siverado Z71 with 99k miles. I have a squeak when accelerating from 0-20 mph approximately and have dialed the squeak down to the U-Joint at the differential. Great truck minus little quirks.

This is my daily driver and although I have in my past replaced many U-Joints with the socket and hammer method, this is an aluminum drivershaft. Is there anything I need to know before I pull the driveshaft out of the truck? Anything to be careful about?

Better to try and press them out with a vise? I don't have a hydraulic press. Do these U-Joints have eposy holding them in from the factory?

Opinions appreciated. Thanks.
The voices in my head don't like you.
GR8TWYT
ARFCOM Fitness Cadre
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/1/2008 3:08:03 PM
patriot - factory u-joints have to be heated with a torch to burn them out before you can press them. Heat them until you hear a load "POP" (wear safety glasses) then you can beat them out, or press them out with a vise.
"Those of us in Emergency Services develop a very twisted sense of humor that others don't understand." - Striker

Proud Executive Officer - "Ranstad's Militia" - The Fantastic Bastards!
fxntime
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/1/2008 3:47:17 PM

Originally Posted By GR8TWYT:
patriot - factory u-joints have to be heated with a torch to burn them out before you can press them. Heat them until you hear a load "POP" (wear safety glasses) then you can beat them out, or press them out with a vise.

Don't forget to do it while still hot because the injected nylon will resolidify when it begins to cool and will "freeze" up.

Also, clean the driveshaft U-joint holes well and LIGHTLY crocus cloth them then lightly coat with moly or bearing grease before attempting to seat the new U-joints.
I do not have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Small town, religious, gun owning, anti illegal immigration, non-bitter white man.

I may never be rich, but my name and handshake will always be worth something.
patriot73
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/1/2008 3:59:40 PM
Thanks guys. Will MAPP Gas get them hot enough to pop them out? Is it safe to beat them out with a socket and hammer? Or....will a standard bench vise push them out once hot?

Is this a common chevy truck issue? I have racked my brain on this squeak and have settled on the U joints. Like I said, only at acceleration between 0-20 mph.

Now if I could stop the fucking piston slap I'd be a happy man. Although, drom what I understand, the piston slap when cold is normal for the skirtless cast aluminum pistons in a 5.3. Great motor, just a little noisey at start-up when chilly.
chrome1
Mechanical Prognosticator
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/1/2008 4:25:27 PM

Originally Posted By patriot73:
Thanks guys. Will MAPP Gas get them hot enough to pop them out? Is it safe to beat them out with a socket and hammer? Or....will a standard bench vise push them out once hot?

Is this a common chevy truck issue? I have racked my brain on this squeak and have settled on the U joints. Like I said, only at acceleration between 0-20 mph.

Now if I could stop the fucking piston slap I'd be a happy man. Although, drom what I understand, the piston slap when cold is normal for the skirtless cast aluminum pistons in a 5.3. Great motor, just a little noisey at start-up when chilly.

Propane is hot enough . There are injection holes on both sides of the loops . Heat
from the center towards the holes and the nylon will expand out the holes like a
couple snakes . Once you get about 2" out each hole the cap will come free even
after it cools down . A bench vice with a couple of sockets will work fine .
Yeah ....... Whatever
prybar
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/1/2008 4:36:02 PM

Originally Posted By chrome1:

Propane is hot enough . There are injection holes on both sides of the loops . Heat
from the center towards the holes and the nylon will expand out the holes like a

If you have steel spring clips holding the caps in then you don't need to burn out the nylon. Look for holes on either side of the u-joint yolk. If no holes= no nylon.

Then just chose your favorite way to replace them.

I like a well mounted vice and a hammer.

If you are getting a squeak-squeak-squeak only when moving it's probably a u-joint.
patriot73
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/1/2008 6:15:04 PM
[Last Edit: 9/1/2008 6:15:53 PM by patriot73]

Originally Posted By prybar:

Originally Posted By chrome1:

If you have steel spring clips holding the caps in then you don't need to burn out the nylon. Look for holes on either side of the u-joint yolk. If no holes= no nylon.

Then just chose your favorite way to replace them.

I like a well mounted vice and a hammer.

If you are getting a squeak-squeak-squeak only when moving it's probably a u-joint.

Yep, old school u-joint clips holding the caps in place, I will check for the holes. I'm hoping I can buy U-Joints with grease fittings on them, the stock U-Joints have no grease fittings.

Squeak, squeak, squeak 0-20/25 mph only when accelerating.

Thanks everybody for the help.
prybar
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:21:37 PM
Try NAPA they should have greaseable ones for your application.
patriot73
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/3/2008 8:14:25 PM

Originally Posted By prybar:
Try NAPA they should have greaseable ones for your application.

I stopped by the parts store today, looks like they have two sizes. One is like 1.06" caps and one is 1.125" caps. I certainly hope they have both in stock when I press them out