Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember those days. GM would give 3 trys so several of us would get together and run through it with our IDs to get the answers down then blast through it once the answers were finalized.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck me.  Radiator hose guy had done the same job on a different vehicle.  And they called roadside today, because the coolant light is on and it  running hot.    He doesn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Fuck me.  Radiator hose guy had done the same job on a different vehicle.  And they called roadside today, because the coolant light is on and it  running hot.    He doesn't stand a chance.
View Quote

Might as well just wave at that point
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sev89:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sev89:

yep, bye bye

that won't be cheap
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to go repo a tool box today. Guy working at honda was "rushed" and finished a car. Except he didn't perform the air bag recall.

How the fuck do you "forget" to perform the largest recall ever on a car, I don't care how "rushed" you are.

They fired him and are freaking about how many others he "forgot" to do.

I've seen this before at a GM dealer. Shop forman found over a hundred campaign kits hidden. They fired the guy and called every customer he was flagged on the op code to and reperformed the recall.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:49:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tmleadr03] [#6]

Originally Posted By jeep450:

I had to go repo a tool box today. Guy working at honda was "rushed" and finished a car. Except he didn't perform the air bag recall.
How the fuck do you "forget" to perform the largest recall ever on a car, I don't care how "rushed" you are.
I've seen this before at a GM dealer. Shop forman found over a hundred campaign kits hidden. They fired the guy and called every customer he was flagged on the op code to and reperformed the recall.
View Quote

I have seen it. I have talked with other techs who have seen it.  I have had multiple BMWs come to me right out of warranty and I let them know that the last place did a pad slap on the brake job so the rotors are under spec.  Oh, dealer did that?  Sorry dude, you hosed.

And that is just some of the stuff.  Recalls?  Whatev.  That guy totally clocks 200%.  He is loved.  Does a job and somehow all the parts are in his lower drawer to sell on ebay.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Yep, best one is when the service manager catches the tech throwing the recall parts in the dumpster.  I guess at least then they know they are fucked.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I've become disheartened over the radiator hose guy.  He was on time  but obviously exhausted and slumping through the day.  Had a check engine light with an evap code, he spent a few hours on it and asked for help.  We were having software difficulties so I took it and attempted to do manually what the computerized test would have done.  I get busy and have the noob do it.  He finds the gas cap isn't installed.  I think that broke me.  I'm afraid speaking up on Wednesday will be the straw that breaks him.  I also cannot create a "business case" for keeping him in my mind.  Yeah I like him, yeah he turns decent hours, yeah he sometimes shows initiative and readily owns his mistakes.  But he is the single biggest problem for comebacks, and most of them are serious problems caused by stupid mistakes and poor attention to detail.  His behavior today was a perfect example of why it happens.  Is it good for the company?  Yes.  Is it good for the customer?  Yes.  Is it good for the employee?  Quite possibly.  

I had another day of turning few hours (4) due to not having a great deal of work, but also dealing with situations frequently and fixing shit for free.  I need eight per day.  I either need better time management or simply better jobs to flag time on.  I've had the new guy doing much of my work for me, as I simply cannot get to it and he needs stuff to do.  He is Damn good.  I think he will be great.  

My relationships with the advisors have improved greatly.  I help them with anything and everything.  

I've learned a great deal about my techs and I really enjoy working with them a   lot.  I don't feel like I have to compete with everyone and win at the game of hours every week.  I've been able to feel helpful without the notion that I'm aiding the enemy.  I don't feel aggressive or distant.  I just get right in there and help them with whatever they need, but within reason.  It  is actually helping and not doing stuff for them or just giving silver bullet answers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tomorrow could be fun I have a '95 Geo Tracker followed by a '05 Maserati Quattroporte. Well I guess I can't complain about variety.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Tomorrow could be fun I have a '95 Geo Tracker followed by a '05 Maserati Quattroporte. Well I guess I can't complain about variety.
View Quote

Tomorrow I get to replace an Equinox battery and then figure out why a Camry with a new alternator, starter and battery (all new within two years) is having no starts  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#11]

I had another day of turning few hours (4) due to not having a great deal of work, but also dealing with situations frequently and fixing shit for free.  I need eight per day.  I either need better time management or simply better jobs to flag time on.
View Quote

do you still have to turn hours?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to turn forty.  Exactly forty.  More causes trouble.  Less also causes trouble.  I get a shop hours bonus on top of that.  Basically I cover my own pay and am encouraged to help others be more efficient.

So far I rely heavily on the trainee for my hours.  Today I pulled a fuel tank job and had him do it while I spent two hours with ADP tech support because last night's update fucked all our shit up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Your fucked in the long run then if you have to baby sit the shop and cover your 40.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]
some one shut off the faucet, worked on two cars today, the only thing keeping the whole shop going is that our gm wants all the new cars to have current state inspection stickers on them. so we have been grabbing a bunch of ro's running them thru and slapping the stickers on, good money, but that will dry up quick. on the plus side i got a nice set on takes off today, mounted and balanced them after work.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Your fucked in the long run then if you have to baby sit the shop and cover your 40.
View Quote

Forty hours is nothing if we have a decent workload.  I've had it by late Tuesday many weeks.  The other team leader has a distinct advantage as he does windshields at 4.5 hours each.  I haven't had that particular training and it  is literally the only thing I cannot do.  It also gets him tons of water leaks by default.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:04:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArmy] [#16]
4G63 Intake manifold from a 90 DSM. Cleaned it up a couple days ago (bead blasted) and cut the ears for the EGR off, and welded the ports shut, cause fuck emissions! I don't want exhaust in my INTAKE!
I also got rid of the casting flash and what not.

Now to just save up the coin to have it extrude honed... Shit isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone in the Denver area wants a new place to work, the shop next door to mine is short by 2 mechanics.  The service writer is actually turning wrenches at the moment and really happy about that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Wednesday's have a 7:05 advisor meeting followed by a 7:50 tech meeting.  I have to attend both.  

Handling stuff is a large part of the day.  Today we received a four page letter about a water sloshing noise.  The vehicle had been in twice before for this.  I got involved an  handled it.  Yes it has a noise.  Pulled rocker plugs after ripping up flooring and finding nothing.  Body plug was  wet but no water came out.  I used the lift and tilted the vehicle up.  Water gushes out.  This is the kind of stuff that separates parts slingers from technicians.  

I got a lot of wrench time today and I'm happy about that.  My crew handled their work load properly and did well.  

I've created some discussion about how to handle our airbag recall when it hits.  We don't know when that will be but I'd like to have an effective strategy to deal with it.  I'm leaning towards dedicated recall guys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#19]
After 7 weeks off due to shoulder surgery, I have in fact returned to work as a service writer.  Didn't miss this place at all, my friends yes, work no.

12 hours daily of retards on the other side of the country that don't understand you can't up an entire frac crew with literally 2 mechanics. Neato.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw something that happens too frequently and took action.  Low coolant light on a brand new vehicle.  They are not being corrected at the PDI. I brought up the matter at our morning meeting and why it was so important as well as the expectations we have of the technicians.

I worked with the trainee and taught him technique instead of just theory such.   We need to check this system, and the test point is buried under the floor.   We have quick and easy access to five out of six audio components.  Let's test what we can quickly access rather than tear out the floor.  Maximum information gained from minimum effort.  It worked beautifully and we nailed the diag in five minutes rather than an hour.  He also learned that the radio chassis is a sufficient ground for testing voltage on the wake up lines of the MOST ring.  

I spent a bit of the morning monitoring the waiter situation and moved them in to the shop quickly.  Those that were in a position to help were assigned waiters and were able to get them done efficiently.  The customer wins, the advisor wins, and the tech flags more hours.  What's not to love?  

I took a look at a comeback check engine light and determined that it was a new issue.  We will q.c. the heck out of it before it leaves.  It eased the burden on that tech and also kept everything fair.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]
So yesterday morning, there is a Montero Sport in my bay when I arrive.  Guy is waiting, wants fluids flushed, tune-up, timing/drive/water pump, etc.  Sounds great, unless you know anything about these turds.  It is a 98 with 190k miles on it.  We have no parts in stock for it, I refuse to put aftermarket parts on these as they cause nothing but problems.  I quote everything out, guy wants it all done.  We offer to put him in a rental at OUR expense, he refuses.  I do most of the fluid exchanges, e-order the parts I need, and he leaves with the car, saying he will be back at 9am for the work.

I show up at 7:30, the car is already in my bay.  Apparently this genius showed up at 7am and is planning on waiting the whole time again.  Parts all showed up, I get to work.  I haven't had one of these apart in over 3 years so it was slow, but steady work.  Everything goes well until I go to reinstall the crank pulley and I find that that the balancer is spinning independently from the rest of the pulley.  So I go quote it, almost $400, dealership down the road has it in stock.  Cust. approves it, I tell parts to get it ASAP.  This was at 11:22AM.  By 2:30PM I have not received a pulley, so I go to inquire as to its whereabouts.  Nobody has left to get the fucking thing yet!  An hour later, I have the box in my hand, I open it up and the pulley has a piece broken off of it.  Our e-order cut-off is 3pm, so I will most likely not get it until Monday.  So the cust. had to get put in a rental anyway.

As a bonus, when I removed the intake manifold, it pulled the threads out of three holes so I had to spend an hour kneeling over this thing to put in heli-coils.  So basically spent most of the day on this piece of shit, all to make nothing.  Customer is spending over $3500 total I think.  Moron.  I knew it would be a nightmare when I saw it, and I was not wrong.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#22]
 Let's test what we can quickly access rather than tear out the floor.  Maximum information gained from minimum effort.  It worked beautifully and we nailed the diag in five minutes rather than an hour.
View Quote

Since the personnel changes the other week, I have been doing my best to step up and help the other guys some more.  I have been REALLY trying to beat the whole "smarter, NOT harder" mindset into their brains.  Some get it, some don't.  It really feels like I am babysitting most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:
Anyone in the Denver area wants a new place to work, the shop next door to mine is short by 2 mechanics.  The service writer is actually turning wrenches at the moment and really happy about that.
View Quote

What do they work on?  I know BMW's and umm..... that's about it.  I was contemplating moving to the Denver area but need to have a job lined up first before I can take the plunge.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By bakelitedonuts:
What do they work on?  I know BMW's and umm..... that's about it.  I was contemplating moving to the Denver area but need to have a job lined up first before I can take the plunge.
View All Quotes

EVERYTHING.  And if you know BMW I do not want you moving in next door to my shop.  I want them to continue to send me their german cars to check out and work on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Denver area resident (actually colo native), trust me every asshole and their mother has a BMW out here (in addition to their subaru), shouldn't be hard to get a job being a BMW tech.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
Denver area resident (actually colo native), trust me every asshole and their mother has a BMW out here (in addition to their subaru), shouldn't be hard to get a job being a BMW tech.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:

And for some reason my shop is slow.  Go figure.  Fuck me if I know why.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#27]

EVERYTHING.  And if you know BMW I do not want you moving in next door to my shop.  I want them to continue to send me their german cars to check out and work on.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Team leader means you get the fun ones.  Like an ML diesel with three check engine lights in one week.  I suspect faulty pins at he control unit.  Loose fit causing faults.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm so glad this week is done.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Mounted and balanced some tires today, had to relearn how to use a Hunter GSP9700
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Replaced five pin sockets at cdi control unit and it set the same fault again for rail pressure regulating valve.  I cannot understand four check engine lights all in a very short time span all with different  component failures and its a 2015 with 16k miles.

Another customer refuses to understand that his 155k mile used car he just got has problems.  Those problems are unrelated to his warranty fuel tank replacement and he will have to pay for them.  

It's been really slow.  Guys are at 60% of their expected flag hours.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Changed oil on a trailer mounted heater.  Real neat.

Sat around, did paperwork. Even neater.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:24:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: saturnstyl] [#33]
Tossed a fuel rail at the diesel problem child.  Seems good so far.  

Knocked out some warranty services while tracking waiters and handling the dispatch thereof.  

Tossed a CPO to the guy who did a nine hour recall camshaft replacement.  

Upsold a trans control unit and rear shocks on a gl diesel. Had to order parts.

Handled some dispatch issues and learned from the situation to have the dispatch priority increased when necessary rather than just try to move stuff around manually.  

I'm in a good position hours wise, work definitely picked up today and I am concerned about how my team will do under pressure.  They seemed to be moving slowly and I need a way to tell them to pick up the pace.  

We had a sit down with radiator hose guy and the other stream leader, the foreman and the SM.  I think it went well.  The SM made his intentions clear to the tech about the ultimate outcome without significant improvements.  The other three of us coached him on how he can improve.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Ripped a motor out of a subaru for the body shop. 2 hours on my first one. Damn. Almost like its designed to come out cause they do a lot of them.
View Quote

I have seen guys get a Subaru engine out and on a stand in 1.5 hrs.  It is almost easier to do that to do the valve covers.  And seriously, if you are doing a timing belt why not?  Makes the lining things up so easy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Torque wrench?  But what for?

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Trainee is doing a cylinder head with a porous casting.

Another relatively new guy dropped a motor out to do a turbo replacement.

Radiator hose guy is possibly facing a piston job.  

We were light on techs and struggled to get the work through the shop.  I had to hang up my wrenches at 45 hours.  So at least I'll have plenty of time for coaching!

We will get through this.  My heavy hitter returns tomorrow.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Good repair.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Newest tool

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Sometimes I wish we still had a corny dealer.  

A "tech" borrowed a socket from me yesterday.  I said that snap on is here Mondays, Indy on Tuesday and Matco on Wednesdays.  He replies that he only buys cornwell.  We haven't had a dealer in like four years.  

Always nice to see guys using craftsman tools regularly.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Good repair.

View All Quotes

Good repair.

Made my apprentice do it.  it was her second one.  had to step in once and that was it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Walked into a firestone store today to witness a guy that can barely change tires doing a waterpump on a V12 Mercedes Benz car, didn't catch the year but it was pretty new
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Walked into a firestone store today to witness a guy that can barely change tires doing a waterpump on a V12 Mercedes Benz car, didn't catch the year but it was pretty new
View Quote

Know how I know that customer is financially challenged?

Know how I know that the dispatcher wants that mechanic to quit?

Know how I know that somewhere an S600 will need expensive repairs to something else near the coolant pump?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Speaking of V12.

It is in for a fuel leak on the hose you can just see over the rear differential and axle.

Pretty certain I am going to drop the axle to make sure nothing gets fucked up getting the hose out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#46]
It was easier then I thought to get to that upper hose clamp.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Speaking of V12.

http://i.imgur.com/3cBlDl9.jpg

View Quote

I hope someone caught that sidewall bulge.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By awptickes:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By awptickes:

Speaking of V12.

Yup.  I noticed it coming off the tow truck.  I framed that pic purposely.  

Saturnstly, are these bolts available separate?

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Helped change a roll stability valve on a trailer. Did paperwork. Glorious.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Speaking of V12.

http://i.imgur.com/Z7yF3s7.jpg
It is in for a fuel leak on the hose you can just see over the rear differential and axle.

http://i.imgur.com/A55qym7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xHcZm7a.jpg
Pretty certain I am going to drop the axle to make sure nothing gets fucked up getting the hose out.

View Quote
At least its just a rear diff and not a rear transaxle.

Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top