Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By confused89:
Sure does seem like you are running into a lot of ecm failures? Is this normal for the brand that you work on?
View Quote

No.  Although Mercedes-Benz is guilty of using seperate control units for EVERYTHING.  Some cars have in excess of a hundred.  I don't think I replace a lot of them.  An engine control unit failure is not something I do a lot of, but there are a few pattern failures out there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Replaced   convertible top cylinder again, this time with oem parts because the customer didn't listen to me when I told him used was a bad  idea.

Ignition switch on a 2009 ml diesel.  And a glow module.

Installed headlamp dessicant baskets in a 2014 s550.

Ran out of work early.  Did software updates to the ML350 I'm buying, state inspection, and found that the cargo cover got stolen.

I looked for another, only found the correct size in the wrong color.  Scored two brand new tires for it.  A continental and a michelin.  I don't know what was wrong with them, but I can find out.  

Hopefully paint gets done next week and I can bring it home.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I drew three shitty oil change jobs, but sold axle boots on one for seven hours.  

Thank the Lord for 2008-2009 c classes.  Guaranteed steering lock failures at five hours a pop.

I'm really looking forward to   vacation or something.  I'm exhausted and not feeling like doing anything.

Spent thirty minutes with a customer Saturday explaining why we do not rotate tires side to side, per Mercedes-Benz.  Not the tire manufacturers, per the car maker.  So, no, I didn't rotate your staggered wheels.  He seemed good with that.  So why is he calling and complaining  again that it wasn't done?  And why must I print out the work instructions for the foreman and retell the tale?  We do not rotate side to side per Mercedes-Benz.  It clearly states running direction must be maintained or undesirable handling characteristics and excessive wear will occur.  This is following our car makers instructions.  I see no issue.  If the customer had requested it be done then it may have been done.  He did not.  He asked why it wasn't done, the procedure was explained in detail, and he left seemingly satisfied.  So why the fuck is it an issue four days later?  The tires will not grow back.  It doesn't matter if I use an X pattern and fill them with miracle gro.  Worn is worn.  I didn't wear our your tires.  YOU DID.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Got drug out the shop today by a truck. I was putting an ignition switch on a junky "93 Chevy truck. While still laying under the dash it started the truck. While the shifter  was still in park the transmission decides to go into reverse.

Now I'm stuck trying to keep my legs out of the front tires by moving to the left and trying to reach shifter by turning the rest of my body to the right. This won't work now we are going out the bay door with my legs still outside.

Some how I cleared the bay door without hitting my legs and and the door. Now I have twisted myself and can't reach the parking brake or the brake pedal with my right side but manage to reach the lock cylinder with the left.

Ok now the engine is off but we are rolling down hill, so I manage to shove the parking brake down with my left. My ribs are sore now from the gymnastics I pulled under the dash with a 6'3" body.

Stay safe everyone and never trust a hunk of junk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of mine was crushed to death by an old tractor due to similar circumstances.  Machines are not forgiving.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Mmmmm, ALWAYS disconnect the battery?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Today was kind of boring and slow.  Looked at a 2000 f150 work truck 4.6 for  a friend.  Took 4.5 quarts of oil to show on the stick, instantly turned black.  I told him to pass if he was paying for it.  If it was free, drive it but don't sink any money in to it and keep your cell phone charged.

Doing a cpo on a 2013 ML350, 49k.  Very similar to the one I'm buying.  Has Harmon kardon sound but no trailer hitch.  It's now missing a cargo cover because I was told to replace the one stolen from me by taking this one.... eventually they will need to buy one.  Its getting new floor mats, so by default so am I.  Their old mats are better than mine!  I thought I scored a new set of tires but upon investigation I learned that the tires it had were approved, just not common.  

We ran out of work early so I cleaned up a bit.  We searched for a $72 starter core somebody never turned in.  We couldn't find it.  He didn't answer texts.  They emptied the scrap bin today so looks like he will be paying for the core he failed to return.  We did our best to find it.

I tossed my old shocks because I didn't have the heart to resell them because they are worn.  I also tossed the set of cams and junk from the $13k job I did last month.  Might make a good lamp for a bachelor's pad but I can't pull that off anymore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I dropped a fuel tank off the tranny Jack and it hit the floor.  Boom.  No big deal, it was the old one anyway.  

My plans for the ML350 got screwed up, won't see paint until next week.  

I put a customer supplied alternator in, and I had to make it fit.  Immediately afterward, the starter battery died mid crank.  And I'm pretty sure the starter is fried too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
G63 with a dead alternator.  $2300 warranty cost.  Ordered.

Did a bunch of crap jobs and didn't break eight hours for the day.

Bought a 2013 ML350 4Matic.    this is the third 2013 vehicle I've purchased.    couldn't beat it.  For the price of a rav 4 with a sunroof I got a nicely equipped all wheel drive 300hp and larger vehicle.  I don't question it's  safety or reliability at all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
past couple weeks have been a roller coaster, so far this week, its dead. i just hope it picks up so i can atl east try and salvage this week
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Automotive shop or slaughter hose you decide.

One of the bosses friends decided to cut up a pig at the shop today. I have know idea why.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FPT_RAIDER:
past couple weeks have been a roller coaster, so far this week, its dead. i just hope it picks up so i can atl east try and salvage this week
View Quote

Hope it picks up for you, holiday weekend coming up.

Did a rear brake job on a 2001 Chevy suburban 2500, next up is knock sensors.  Who in the hell puts knock sensors under the intake manifold in a deep hole that collects water
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By olivers_AR:

Did a rear brake job on a 2001 Chevy suburban 2500, next up is knock sensors.  Who in the hell puts knock sensors under the intake manifold in a deep hole that collects water
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't know but I thank them for providing me work.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#15]

handsome kid

And a nice car. What's the inside look like?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By m35ben:

View All Quotes

easiest 4 hours ever, plus upsells
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Sev89:

handsome kid

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sev89:

handsome kid

Thank you.  File photo, exactly like this: http://autodealio.com/wp-content/gallery/mercedes-benz-ml350/mercedes-m-class-almond-interior.jpg

Steering lock on a GLK, killed it in like 20 minutes.  It's been a real reliable gravy job providing that you can get the old one to unlock.

Alternator on a g63 amg.  Did it way faster than I thought possible.  In fact it was easy.  Salt water destroyed it.

Couple other crap jobs, put a v1 harness in an s coupe.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Bunch of bullshit today.

Oil leak from turbo on gla.  Took 3.2, paid 1.2.  

Bunch of crap oil changes and bullshit.  Timing chain tensioners on a GLK.  Ended the day with a roadhazard tire.  Was installed yesterday.  Has a very tiny leak in the sidewall, I spent 38 minutes finding it, th  entire job pays .5, and  parts wouldn't give the tire because the advisers didn't submit a claim.  I left it there.  Fuck it, I'm going home.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Somebody turned off our work. Spent Tuesday washing the work truck.

Wednesday, spent a couple of hours flashing an ECM on a D8T.

Today, well, went for a drive. 150 miles to the job. Customer ripped a belly pan off of a bull dozer, drilled out 6 1" bolts that had sheared off. That sucked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
Somebody turned off our work. Spent Tuesday washing the work truck.

Wednesday, spent a couple of hours flashing an ECM on a D8T.

Today, well, went for a drive. 150 miles to the job. Customer ripped a belly pan off of a bull dozer, drilled out 6 1" bolts that had sheared off. That sucked.
View Quote

damn
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I've always hated drilling out broken bolts. My go to is welding a washer and nut to them. Stick welder doesn't work so well but with a mig I've build them up from 3/8" or so down in a hole.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually drilled a 1/4" hole completely through the remaining bolts and then heated the bolts red hot. Let them cool and then spray with penetrating oil. Then used a grinder to clean up the smeared part of the bolts. Then an easy out pulled them out. Wasn't too bad.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Three for three.  The last three vehicles I have purchased have all immediately failed.  

Equinox, signed papers and BAM! Misfires, reduced power message yielded an eventual piston and timing chain replacement.

Corvette, signed papers and immediately got active handling failure, yielded a steering angle sensor.

ML350, signed papers and two days later battery light.  I vetted this fucker for thirty days.  It had the most thorough pre purchase inspection ever.  So in the midst of failed communications, some hostilities and anger I spent the day worried about it and unable to reach it clear across the county with the only other key two other counties in the opposite direction.  I heard the belt was still on, so that was good.  I missed the order time for overnight, but I ordered an alternator anyway.  Thousand bucks, good thing I bought the CPO warranty.  Finally get clear, grab a laptop and dvom, head over.  Key arrives twenty minutes later.  Use cluster to display system voltage.  12.4v.  Too low.  Output from alternator is 14.8v.  They typically last 200k.  It's  got another 140k left at minimum.  Voltage drop, find what appears to be a blown 400 amp prefuse.  Nope, just burned where the connection arced because it was a smidge loose.  Only a very small bit loose.  Took apart the area, cleaned with wire brush, reassemble, the 13mm nut wasn't threaded properly or had a burr.  It is easy to see it reached maximum torque at "almost" tight.  I tightened it more and everything was good.  Factory preprogrammed failure.  Now I see what all the CND stuff was in it  history.  It  Probably been like this for years and nobody found this.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#24]
No work.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Pulled a new 657 Cat Scraper off of a rail car. Set it down in a yard and had to pull the shipping brackets off and rotate the draft arms from inside to outside the can. After that had to torque each bolt, 24 on each arm, to 1,000 foot pounds. Was a long day.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#26]
How many duh duh duhs is that with an impact wrench?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By saturnstyl:

View Quote
All of them.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#28]
ML350 getting paint touch up work done.  Took vette to work and had it buffed.  OH. MY. DAMN.  There were some old spots of sap or something that didn't come off but a  least they are smooth now.  Most acid rain etching was taken off.  And it immediately rained.  

The car looks GOOD.  I'm going to turn some heads with it now!

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#29]
All of them.

View All Quotes
All of them.

It's about 7. Then apply torque wrench for click. Most still moved before clicking.

The kicker is they pulled this off of the train, now they are taking it by truck to Oregon. Said it is too wide for some tunnels on the train. Oh well. get to do another one next week.

Overheating 345C Excavator today.  Well, when you sink the counterweight into the mud and it stalls the fan and overheats the hydraulics because you have an idiot for an operator, what do you expect.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#30]

It's about 7. Then apply torque wrench for click. Most still moved before clicking.

The kicker is they pulled this off of the train, now they are taking it by truck to Oregon. Said it is too wide for some tunnels on the train. Oh well. get to do another one next week.

Overheating 345C Excavator today.  Well, when you sink the counterweight into the mud and it stalls the fan and overheats the hydraulics because you have an idiot for an operator, what do you expect.
View All Quotes
All of them.

I loved jumping in a pan and chomping up 15 yards of earth!
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#31]
So the ML350 I had in for touch up work was supposed to be ready today.  We are leaving for vacation.  In a sixteen year old accord instead of a 2013 Mercedes-Benz.  

It won't be ready until next week.  The painter knows I'm a picky guy and he was unable to meet an acceptable standard on time.  

Did some work on a gt-s.  The seat trim fell off the back rest last year.  We still do not have an approved solution to install the new part.  Thanks for buying our $150k car.... remember what we said about the best... or nothing.  Guess what you are getting?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#32]
00 Accord is a reliable ride, as long as it's on transmission #2.

Every year in Smyrna it's airshow season in June. The past 2 days have been full of joyful noises from the Blue Angels practicing, easily viewed from my window and the roof of the building. Right up until a co worker calmly said, hey 1 of those planes just crashed.  I didn't see the plane go down, but the crash site was on my way home. Blackhawks and the rest of the Blues were searching for a chute that didn't deploy. Sad day in Smyrna TN.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By slows2k:
00 Accord is a reliable ride, as long as it's on transmission #2.

Every year in Smyrna it's airshow season in June. The past 2 days have been full of joyful noises from the Blue Angels practicing, easily viewed from my window and the roof of the building. Right up until a co worker calmly said, hey 1 of those planes just crashed.  I didn't see the plane go down, but the crash site was on my way home. Blackhawks and the rest of the Blues were searching for a chute that didn't deploy. Sad day in Smyrna TN.
View Quote

They are saying he stayed with the plane to keep it from hitting a apartment building.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]
He put it down in the only open area in Smyrna that wouldn't hit houses or apartments. It sounds like he rode it in to save those on the ground instead of pulling the handles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#35]
it will be interesting to hear (if they release it) what caused the plane to go down. Those planes are so well maintained, you wouldn't think it would be the plane. Did they cancel their part of the show?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes, the Blues cancelled.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#37]
It's been a glorious week off.  Today is my last day of vacation.  Our ML350 still isn't ready but I'm cool with that.  

We did the outer banks for the last time until Wednesday.  Got bored and came home.  The beach house got sold and we've been so many times that we've reached a saturation point.  The beach is largely useless because it's always freezing cold.  Here it is in June and nobody can get in the water yet.  It's been nice but there are only so many times that you can visit a lighthouse or find some other restaurants and end up spending $70 for lunch.  So good bye obx!  It was fun while it lasted.  

I've been puttering around the house, kinda resting and doing small projects like replacing the mailbox and such.  

Hopefully work picks up and I'll be ready for action tomorrow!
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Was way busy this past week. Ran all over the area. 280 miles on my service truck on Wednesday. Baby sat a jobsite, because their mechanic called in sick on Friday. Had somebody mangle a fender and do $20,000 in damage to a loader. Hydraulic oil everywhere. Punctured a nitrogen charged accumulator. Hell, the fender alone is $1400.

Side note, if you install the cam ring for a vane pump backwards, it won't pump much oil. Flip it around and we get all the oil we could want. Oops.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Busy as hell lately. Seems like I hardly have time to take a leak and the dealer I quit last year has had a few layoffs in the last month. I"m sure it pisses them off when I go in there and pick up parts for a lot of the customers I took care of when I was there and now they only get their warranty work.

Busted a belt on the front right tire on my personal truck a few weeks ago, again. 2007 Dodge 3500 4x4. 93k on the truck 33k on this set of tires. The other one that busted was at 60k and had about 40k on those tires, both Toyo M/Ts so they're not junk tires. Even had it aligned when i put this set on and it has driven fine the whole time but wears that tire more on the outside of the tire. And of course I also found that the last time the idiots at NTB rotated my tires they pinched the retaining ring for the centercap on my discontinued wheels between the wheel and hub and what do you know the wheel has 3 little cracks in the lug nut holes right where that wire was pinched in there.

So being slightly ticked off about a bad $350 tire and a busted wheel that I can't replace I ordered a whole new set of American Eagle 059 20" wheels with 295/65r20 toyo m/ts. And then started going through the whole front end.

Thought i had a little slack in the front right wheel bearing, replaced that and found a little play in the upper ball joint.

So far I'm at
new wheels/tires
new ball joints
Rh front wheel bearing
upgraded tie rod and drag link to t style from y style
steering stabilizer
steering box/sector shaft brace
adjustable track bar to get the axle centered up under the truck(leveling kit has it shifted to drivers side a bit)

Put the new tie rod in, jacked it up and spun the tires and made a line all the way around with a razor blade and set the toe in about 1/16" for now, comes out to about .1degree

Got new fluids for the diffs, transmission and transfer case too. It doesn't get driven that much and I haven't spent any money or given it much TLC in a while and I damn sure don't want to buy a new one so here we go.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I lost my shit today.  Hasn't happened in a while but some fuck head borrowed a $70 1/4" snap on ratchet.  It's gone.  So I voiced my displeasure about it.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 7:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m35ben] [#41]

I lost my shit today.  Hasn't happened in a while but some fuck head borrowed a $70 1/4" snap on ratchet.  It's gone.  So I voiced my displeasure about it.  

View Quote
Has is it showed back up?

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

It's in his pocket
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#43]
I fucking wish.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:41:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DeltaAir423] [#44]
My little project right now...

19 year old F150 that spent it's first 11 years in Indiana.

2016-04-16_09-49-43 by ford54l00mustang, on Flickr

Started out

Start by ford54l00mustang, on Flickr

Last night

Intake out by ford54l00mustang, on Flickr

Still to do, remove the exhaust manifolds, pull the timing system, pull the heads, get the heads checked for cracks, finally slap it all back together.

So far I'm up to $420 in parts and $160 in machine shop work.

I miss the beauty and simplicity of the Ford 5.0/5.8L pushrod V8.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#45]
My project truck isn't so nice...

The engine is in incredible shape. The transmission has some pressure issues, is missing reverse, and hasn't ever had the fluid changed. The radiator was plugged up hardcore, and the genius PO hooked the alternator to a regulator, then powered the regulator from a toggle switch in the cabin -- instead of just tying it to a ignition-on power source.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jeep450:

It's in his pocket
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jeep450:

It's in his pocket

Left in a customer's car.    (I actually did have a mechanic leave a couple of screw drivers under my hood after some warranty work, which I returned)
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Out of curiosity, how many of you professionals have seen a transmission in this bad of shape?

And a video showing the band play:
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I personally did that to a 4l60 once.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By awptickes:
Out of curiosity, how many of you professionals have seen a transmission in this bad of shape?

http://i.imgur.com/RXb7X7K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8PZ7kY6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OUyEddZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xy76w9I.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1GI4tfK.jpg

And a video showing the band play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzjeIeu84k
View Quote

I saw the first picture of the bottle and thought I have seen trans fluid that dark.  Then I scrolled down    
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#50]
So I normally avoid the "pranks" in the shop because, well they get out of hand quickly.  Someone decided to fuck with me, after being warned not to.  Its like I'm a coral snake with bright colors that say "this guy will fuck you up!"  I don't bother other people, and anybody that has been there any length of time knows that while I do enjoy seeing a good prank, I'm not the guy to do it to.  So, in front of a crowd of coworkers yesterday, I took two ass smacks and a nut shot from some guy.  Embarassing, yes.  He clowned me.  So either I retaliate with enough force to make anyone cringe at the thought of fucking with me, or I become a weak target...  

I choose option two.

Prankster is bent over on top of a diesel with his ass in the air.  I used window cleaner spray to give him a nice bunny tail.  He thought that was weak....  

So I spent a while searching for some white powder.  The only thing I come up with is coffee creamer.  And a Cheetah.  The two combined made an incredible fucking mess of him, his bay, and his attitude for the rest of the day.  It fucked him up so bad, that I'm not sure if round three will be put in to action or not. I may have gotten enough out of this.  He won't even speak to anyone.  The team leaders and managers won't get involved, because he was warned beforehand, and decided to fuck with me anyway.  So I fucked with him back.  Now he is all butthurt.  And everyone is laughing at him.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top