BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gwitness:

IMO...the shortage is a self inflicted wound...instead of keeping us older guys with experience happy and doing the things necessary to retain us...we found ourselves run out and replaced by kids fresh out of tech schools...who have no one to mentor  and guide them. the pursuit of an easy buck is costing them more than they know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
I predict that in the next 10 years, there will be an extreme shortage of skilled labor for service industries.

Everyone I know busy working these days are 40 plus, and large numbers pushing the 60 mark. We can't find young guys that want to work, and the few that do try are dumber then a box of rocks.

IMO...the shortage is a self inflicted wound...instead of keeping us older guys with experience happy and doing the things necessary to retain us...we found ourselves run out and replaced by kids fresh out of tech schools...who have no one to mentor  and guide them. the pursuit of an easy buck is costing them more than they know.

Its kind of a two way street. Old guys aren't as willing to help new techs learn the trade because they feel they are being replaced, in some cases they are, others they aren't but they all get the feeling the noob is here with a diploma and shiny new tools to take their job. they're not going to help that guy. both suffer. "your slowing down, and not worth a crap as a mentor, your fired" to the old guy, and "that diploma and tool box isn't worth a fuck, take $12/hr and work 6 days a week" to the new guy, they leave in a few months.

the tech I have has been working on cars since before I was born. everyone similar age to me or younger show up with papers and tell you how bad ass they are and how much they want. its pretty easy to see threw the bull shit. they aren't worth a fuck, the more they ask for the less they are worth. if they were as good as they say, they'd be a gravy sucker in a dealer or own their own shop. its rare as shit to see a new tech show up and be worth a damn, they usually stay in dealers.

I'm not gonna lie, if my shop hadn't succeeded I would have went back to school.

Originally Posted By jeep450:
And I agree 100% with Mike Rowe.

People are pushing their little princes to go to college that they are too good for manual labor. I think the dealerships will be the first to crack because the decent guys will be picked up by Indy shops leaving the great/good guys. The screws that are going to be given to the dealerships by the manufactures will push out some of the rest. Leaving only 1 or 2 real techs at dealerships. Giving a select few Indy shops to really shine and charge proper money for quality work they do.  

It's going to be interesting for sure.

Heck I've had 3 offers in the past month to come back as a tech at dealerships.

heh...we have people on this  forum that will tell you flat out..."blue collar workers are shit"

yeah, then those idiots try fixing their own car and do more damage and double the cost of repair because us blue collar tweakers are nothing but thief's. they're so smart they crossed all the way back over to stupid.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
This pattern of turning five hours on Monday because we have no work needs to fucking stop.

House a/c went tango uniform today also, was only $200 to fix but its $200 I didn't need to part with.  

Did a drive up in the mountains sunday morning.  Me, a CLK black series, and a new mustang gt.  No traffic at all for the first two hours.  

The vette is an animal.  I couldn't find the limits of what it could do, on the other hand I'm not real big on abusing stuff either.  It would handle whatever I threw at it though.  I'm already planning another trip!  The three hour drive there and back SUCKED, but once you can turn it loose on some twisties, it does a phenomenal job.  

I was using a V1 and WAZE app.  I had just had a conversation with my buddy in the CLK that he needed to get it.  I ran with him a while on the way home, but slowed down because 80+ in a 55 isn't my thing.  I saw WAZE alert for two cops ahead.  By the time I got there they had CLK pulled over.  20 over the limit.  I told him I knew they were there for miles, he said he got hit with instant on and had no warning.  I believe it because its happened to me before.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
And then today I had more work than I could do......

I hate the  rollercoaster that is flat rate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I must have missed the add my boss ran on square chevy trucks.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m35ben:

http://i.imgur.com/6X2wTKI.jpg?1
View Quote

But they are easier and simple to work on. Take what you can get.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
This weeks special Broncos.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Customer car stole off the lube rack, dealership tells customer to pound sand.

Link
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Link
View Quote

Customer car found at local Chevy dealer. Chevy dealer missing a 2014 Camaro
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Link

Ha

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Link
View Quote

I don't think that is how it works.  I am pretty sure the dealership's insurance company will be paying out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Back when I was still doing body work, we would try guys from the tech schools all the time. Those guys obviously bought their diplomas because they weren't worth a shit. The guys we tried to apprentice never lasted more than 6 months because it was too (insert BS reason).

Now that I work on houses, it's not really any different. None of them have the skill to turn out quality work, and they're too lazy to do the grunt work.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

I predict that in the next 10 years, there will be an extreme shortage of skilled labor for service industries.

Everyone I know busy working these days are 40 plus, and large numbers pushing the 60 mark. We can't find young guys that want to work, and the few that do try are dumber then a box of rocks.

What is truly odd is how many guys a month are the LTI, UTI, WyoTech putting out each month?  Where the fuck are those students?  I am offering an apprenticeship at base wage of 4 over minimum wage PLUS commission.  With a roll around and a set of hand tools.  Continuing education paid for by me.  2 weeks paid vacation.  I can't get SHIT with that.

Back when I was still doing body work, we would try guys from the tech schools all the time. Those guys obviously bought their diplomas because they weren't worth a shit. The guys we tried to apprentice never lasted more than 6 months because it was too (insert BS reason).

Now that I work on houses, it's not really any different. None of them have the skill to turn out quality work, and they're too lazy to do the grunt work.

We see the same in aviation.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

I don't think that is how it works.  I am pretty sure the dealership's insurance company will be paying out.
View All Quotes

Link

Never read the fine print on the repair order have ya?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Link

Even if in the unlikely case that state law didn't contradict the terms of the pre-printed form, gross negligence due to leaving the keys in the car and the car unattended would put the shop on the hook to replace the car.  The bad publicity alone would make it cheaper to replace a 5 year old car.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Even if in the unlikely case that state law didn't contradict the terms of the pre-printed form, gross negligence due to leaving the keys in the car and the car unattended would put the shop on the hook to replace the car.  The bad publicity alone would make it cheaper to replace a 5 year old car.
View All Quotes

Link

It was inside the repair shop of the dealership, how was that negligence?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Link

The fact that someone was able to walk up and take it would be the main evidence.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Anybody heard of orca coolers? Made in the USA. Nice stuff.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the best thing going in 3/8" air impacts now? My 10yr old 2115ti started screwing up today and I'm tired of trying to find or replacing the direction buttons when they fall out. Is the Snap-on mg325 a decent gun?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
What's the best thing going in 3/8" air impacts now? My 10yr old 2115ti started screwing up today and I'm tired of trying to find or replacing the direction buttons when they fall out. Is the Snap-on mg325 a decent gun?
View Quote

If I remember right that's the model I used to use at my shop. Solid impact

That said, the ingersol rand ones were very nice as well. I don't remember the particular model number though, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
I have a n mg325 and the older model. Both work great. My only complaint is they seem to beat them self do death after 4 or five years. Our Cornwell dealer has some new 3/8 that shows great numbers but no idea if it can work its ass off

like the snapons. Everyone in the shop use my little mgs so they get abused all day long. I love the mg 325 just wish it would hold up longer.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#22]
I have a n mg325 and the older model. Both work great. My only complaint is they seem to beat them self do death after 4 or five years. Our Cornwell dealer has some new 3/8 that shows great numbers but no idea if it can work its ass off
like the snapons. Everyone in the shop use my little mgs so they get abused all day long. I love the mg 325 just wish it would hold up longer.

View All Quotes

It's the CAT2150. 500 ft/lbs break away torque. It has been a very good gun. link

this is the ingersoll titanium done for us.300 ft/lbs breakaway. Both have a 2 year warranty.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I use the snapon 3/8 electric all day every day.
The battery last almost all day and it comes with two. they charge in less than 45min.
No hose to drag around and it does everything an air one would do, I don't even use air unless it's 1/2in for lugnuts or big suspension bolts.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a interesting write up by a manager on pay. You may have seen it already, it's making the rounds on Facebook.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Shops must be busy, this thread has been silent.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Here is a interesting write up by a manager on pay. You may have seen it already, it's making the rounds on Facebook.
View Quote

Link bandwidth exceded.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Link bandwidth exceded.
View All Quotes

Link bandwidth exceded.

This seems to be the new buzzword lately – engagement. And from the time I have spent working in this area I can honestly say I agree with this thought process. Now the hard question, how to get your technicians engaged? I think we as managers may need to step outside of our comfort zone here a bit and walk a mile in a flat rate technician’s shoes. Just for the record I was a Master Certified Ford, Subaru, and ASE technician in the beginning of my automotive career, I did that for approximately 12 years before moving into Fixed Operations management for the last 14 years so I can honestly say I understand where they are coming from.

Technicians originally started in this business totally interested in every aspect of a vehicle and being able to build, rebuild, and repair vehicles. They actually loved the hard work along with the grease under their fingernails as long as they had something to show for it in the end such as their hot rod, or fixing a family members or friend of the family’s vehicle. It gave them great pride as nothing on a vehicle is particularly easy to fix, and it also gave them a higher standing in their social circles, especially amongst guys/girls interested in automotive.

Then the day comes when they get their first job, more than likely an entry level technician position and begin working eight hours or more a day working on vehicles. Now the magic of automotive begins to slowly decrease as the months or years go by. They start mastering different areas of the vehicles and more than likely get moved to flat rate. Now not only the magic of working on vehicles has decreased to some point due to time spent at work (no different than any other occupation) but now every minute beginning first thing in the morning is three times as stressful as it ever was thinking about all the bills at home and knowing there is no guarantee he or she will make a decent paycheck that week. They have to depend on customers coming through the doors, advisors getting good descriptions of the customers concerns, the actual concern to be happening, the ability of the advisors to sell the needed repairs, a parts dept that may or may not have the part, and deal with ever decreasing warranty time repairs. Bottom line is it’s stressful as h***! And stress as we all know is very hard to master, yet I hear people working in the automotive field everyday criticizing technicians for being whiners, pessimistic, and cry babies. Usually these same people have never walked a mile in a technician’s shoes and the old saying “walk a mile in a man’s/women’s shoes” before you judge them still holds true.

The flat rate pay plan has been in existence as long and I’m sure longer than my entrance into the field in the late 80’s and has not had any real modifications other than warranty times dropping like Thor’s hammer since. I say it’s time we find a new way to pay the technicians so that they can let go of at least a major amount of the stress and get back to worrying just about fixing the vehicles. This system of pay may have worked well in it’s day, but when you purposely insert that amount of stress into a technician’s day and continue to wonder why they act like they are only concerned about themselves, then we as managers are not really trying to help them at all, even though without them we all make nothing in the Fixed Operations area. Does this really make sense?

I’m not saying that certain technicians aren’t a little overboard on the whining or that some of them aren’t just naturally pessimistic but overall is the picture we need to look at and I think it’s a failed system. I’m also not saying I know the optimal pay plan setup but I often wonder if we shouldn’t look at the techs that consistently average 50+ hours a week and possibly offer at least some sort of guarantee to relieve some of their stress such as a 40 hour guarantee? Let’s face it, a high performer will more than likely continue to be a high performer. I again am not saying I have the best answer but I believe that we daily turn a blind eye to the techs job stress and then ask them to be fully engaged (emotionally committed) to making the dealer more money? To me that fits the whole “The beatings will continue until the attitudes improve” mentality.

We pay advisors on parts and labor so they feel compelled to sell both, why not the techs? When was the last time you heard any fixed operations position other than a tech, I.E. Service Manager, Advisor, Parts Counter or Parts Manager stressing out at 2:00 pm because they haven’t made enough money that day? Does it make sense to look into paying a tech on percentages just like we do all the other positions? It certainly would be easier to keep your personnel expenses at say 40-45% if you know exactly what percentage you are paying every person within your department. I know this probably sounds crazy to you but, is it really?

So long story even longer, how if we continue to treat technicians like sub contractors, can we ask them to become “fully engaged” with our companies? Wouldn’t it be something to have your technicians referring work to the dealershps instead of their own garage at home? Again, I’m not saying I have the best answers but I do know what I see on a daily basis, and I just don’t think it’s working yet we all turn a blind eye on it everyday.

I think it’s time we start trying new payplans until we find our sweet spot that works for everybody involved, technicians and dealerships. I think that maybe if they feel as though the dealer cares about them, the technicians might just start caring a little more about the companies they work for. Any well known self improvement speaker will tell you how much better a person can think and work if their stress is reduced. I doubt automotive technicians are any different.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:51:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#28]
Hardtop Murano at the Nissan dealer. Out of warranty, pivot pin worked loose and the frame bent. $16,000 for a new top, not counting labor. Ouch
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#29]

http://i.imgur.com/6X2wTKI.jpg?1
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Had to promise the owner that I wouldn't turn into Jack Reacher when he dropped this off.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]
So I bought a cat 2150. So far its been real good but I haven't had a chance to use it really hard yet.

I will say it is smaller and lighter than the snap-on I have.

There is a Bronco here that needs front end work and the owner wants all the bushings replaced on the frame so I'll give a good work out on that.

I'm sure the cat will do the job fine.

I don't think any thing has ever been removed from this truck.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Run the 2150 on 2 for a while. It's is some kind of bad ass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I had multiple inquiries as to why I haven't posted in a while.  Truth is I wasn't sure anyone was even reading these posts anymore.  

Well I have been busier than I've seen in years.  Over a decade at least.  Back to the dot com boom levels of busy.  I go in early, leave late, and come home an  collapse.  

I have been trying to reach out to our AMG owners and strengthen community ties.  I've had very limited success.  They are a fickle group.  Did cars and coffee today, had a great time.  I was surprised to receive a laminated copy of my build sheet and window sticker for my corvette.  

I overhauled a 1995 toro 264-6 and gave it to somebody that needed it.  It had been sitting for two years.  New drive belt, steering shaft, blades, full service etc....  It was fun and that is a very well made machine.  You can adjust everything!  Even steering gear engagement depth, which is why it stripped in the first place.  He was happy an  It was nice to be able to surprise him with it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
I had multiple inquiries as to why I haven't posted in a while.  Truth is I wasn't sure anyone was even reading these posts anymore.  

Well I have been busier than I've seen in years.  Over a decade at least.  Back to the dot com boom levels of busy.  I go in early, leave late, and come home an  collapse.  

I have been trying to reach out to our AMG owners and strengthen community ties.  I've had very limited success.  They are a fickle group.  Did cars and coffee today, had a great time.  I was surprised to receive a laminated copy of my build sheet and window sticker for my corvette.  

I overhauled a 1995 toro 264-6 and gave it to somebody that needed it.  It had been sitting for two years.  New drive belt, steering shaft, blades, full service etc....  It was fun and that is a very well made machine.  You can adjust everything!  Even steering gear engagement depth, which is why it stripped in the first place.  He was happy an  It was nice to be able to surprise him with it.
View Quote

I've read every one, just FYI, all 362 pages over the last few years.  

So, tell us more about the AMG group and how to outreach and why they are fickle
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
I read them.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Two of the black series owners have been pushing for an amg club.  The Mercedes club members haven't been exactly outgoing or open towards people.  Frankly their events are a bit like attending a funeral.  

We have been inviting owners to cars and coffee.  Our dealer sponsors one of them.  I drop business cards with a small note on them asking to join us in any amg vehicles I work on.  I speak directly to some of them too.  They usually sound very interested and they have been looking for a group like this etc..... but you will never hear from them and they don't show up.  I hosted a mountain drive.  I got one owner to show.  Well, we will keep trying I guess.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:

So, tell us more about the AMG group and how to outreach and why they are fickle
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:

Remember in high school the preps were too good to talk to anybody? Some euro car people are like that. They act like you should be honored just to be in their presence. Not all but most are like that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#38]

They are a fickle group.  Did cars and coffee today, had a great time.

View Quote

Thanks for the C&C heads up.  Was a good time. Bulk of the cars were Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs but there were lots of other cool vehicles.  One of the friendliest group of people as well

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:18:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skweeker] [#39]
View Quote

I read them
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I always enjoy your posts.  Typically much more interesting than the shit that happens at my shop.  

I have been pretty busy for the most part.  Averaging 65-75 per week.  

One of the guys that's been there forever (James) had his oldest daughter (38yo) commit suicide this week.  She was in a motorcycle wreck almost a year ago and couldn't use her arm.  I guess she couldn't take it anymore.  My SM and I went to the visitation on Friday night to support James.  It was the most awkward situation I've ever been in.  They were estranged for quite a while, and I didn't remember why until the visitation.  The primary reason was she married a black guy.  The first time James ever met the husband was the day of the visitation.  James was not even in the receiving line.  The mother (my co-worker's first ex-wife) was there.  He apparently hadn't seen her in 20 years.  It was just all kinds of fucked.  I haven't been to a lot of funerals/visitations, but this was far and away the worst one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Good god what a soup sandwich.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:26:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#42]
I stop in and read this thread.  Not a mechanic, but I work with them, and do quite a bit of shade tree wrenching on my old rust buckets.
I like reading the daily gripes, victories, tools and ideas.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Just wanted to stop in and say Hi.  I am a BMW (mostly) tech in North Houston at an independent shop.  We also have quite a few exotics and some other toys to mess with.  Heres some pics from where I work, most have been posted in GD before probably.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#44]
nice
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#45]
My brother sent me this.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#46]
true story^^
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#47]

true story^^
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#48]
That was hilarious!  If only we could actually say things like that!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#49]
After fourteen years and untold amounts of money, countless hours of wrenching, and a few really good times cruising while making heads turn, dad sold his Chevelle.

I lost interest years ago.  It became a chore rather than a hobby.  There was never enough money for what I wanted to do.  I stopped spending every free weekend on it, stopped going to car shows and cruise ins.  I started a family of my own.  I moved farther away.  Eventually I bought my corvette, a car more in line with my performance desires.  

Dad kept needing help I couldn't give.  Kept refusing upgrades it needed for safety.  Rust bubbles started showing.   He kept it garaged, and it is a solid five footer.  I never got around to finishing the air conditioning.  I knew about so many little things it needed done or redone.  I slapped a few band aids on just to get by  a few times.  I grew tired of it.  

Dad started seriously threatening to sell it about a year ago.  I threw a fit, got him to pull the ads.  After some time I changed my mind and started pushing him to sell.  It needed more attention than I could give.  He didn't have the know how or the confidence he used to have.  He forgets a lot.  I'd had my fun and moved on.  So today it went on a trailer to someone new.  I'm kind of sad to see it go.  I wanted to buy it once.  But I work on fast, comfortable cars with modern amenities.  I'm used to a certain level of performance and comfort that car couldn't offer.  Fast in a straight line, can't stop for shit, turn, corner, and you roll down the window to keep cool while  you shout to the passenger next to you.  

I really liked it at first.  I realized the 454 couldn't live up to the legends.  The car wasn't that fast until I put the ramjet 502 in it.  And that seriously magnified its other shortcomings.  

I'm sad to see it go.  Relieved but sad.  

I've got a mountain drive coming up and I'll be grateful to God for my corvette and the good times I'm going to have.  My son loves that car.  Perhaps I can convince dad that dollar for dollar the c5 is where it's at....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#50]
for the dollar, modern vettes are tough to beat
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top