Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

Lolololol

Fuckin compactors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
So we've had an 836K in the shop since late summer for transmission and axle work. Due to parts delays he finally got it back together last week. It wont turn over. Did a bunch of electrical t/s with no success. Comes in one morning to find coolant running out of the turbo. Damn thing hydro locked itself.

Lolololol

Fuckin compactors.

How does the damn thing break itself while not even running? Stupid things. Apparently, there's some update they can do to the block to help with the sinking liners, so we're sending it off to the spec shop to get that all done and rebuilt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]

How does the damn thing break itself while not even running? Stupid things. Apparently, there's some update they can do to the block to help with the sinking liners, so we're sending it off to the spec shop to get that all done and rebuilt.
View Quote

That update is called “new engine.”

Had it done earlier this year.

Also, whoever decided that the heater hoses needed to cross from left to right under the cab, and then essentially have to rub on the platform to get to the HVAC box needs their ball cords yanked out through their anus.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Also, whoever decided that the heater hoses needed to cross from left to right under the cab, and then essentially have to rub on the platform to get to the HVAC box needs their ball cords yanked out through their anus.
View All Quotes

Normally, yes, we do swing in a new engine. Not sure if this time is a customer or Cat idea.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a traveling tech for woodworking machinery. Panel saws, cnc, edgebanders , etc.

Today I am rebuilding a drill block on a line boring machine. This drills 25 holes at one for doing closets and the like.

There are 25 spindles in a row, each geared together. This block was stuffed with grease and the grease had overheated and turned into a black carbon crud. There are 50 bearings I am replacing.

I think minimal grease would be best. The bearings are sealed and factory greased and the grease is just for the gears. What do you think.

Another thing I noticed is they used a tc double lip oil seal to ineffectively keep saw dust out. The id of the seal is 17mm but the shaft is 16mm.
Can you run an oil seal dry or does it need oil on one side to lubricate it? I suspect they oversized the seal so it wouldn't wear? It's a 17 28 6 tc seal but I could get 16 28 7 tc seals.

Thought this was interesting and I love finding screwed up stuff like this.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck me.

Some billionaires bought us out.

They even own a NFL team.

Renovations already scheduled next month.

Shit changing immediately.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
Fuck me.

Some billionaires bought us out.

They even own a NFL team.

Renovations already scheduled next month.

Shit changing immediately.
View Quote

At least you're getting renovations. We got bought out 5 years ago and they had the renovation plans drawn up and approved about 4 years ago and the only thing we've gotten is asphalt over the aprons to get rid of the pot holes in the concrete.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
We have had a few renovations done this year with the largest being a brand new paint shop being built. No more shipping equipment to other business to get them painted. It is almost finished and should be up and running next week. Just in time for my next rebuild.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#8]

At least you're getting renovations. We got bought out 5 years ago and they had the renovation plans drawn up and approved about 4 years ago and the only thing we've gotten is asphalt over the aprons to get rid of the pot holes in the concrete.
View Quote

Our renovations included heaters that didn’t work the first winter, and a 30k two post lift instead of an 18k, meaning the trucks we wanted it for now generally need jacked up to fit or driven back and forth until the arms fit between the wheelbase. It’s also positioned in the front of the bay for pickups, so even if we wanted to lift our dump truck or water truck (one of each), we have to have the bay door open.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Our renovations included heaters that didn’t work the first winter, and a 30k two post lift instead of an 18k, meaning the trucks we wanted it for now generally need jacked up to fit or driven back and forth until the arms fit between the wheelbase. It’s also positioned in the front of the bay for pickups, so even if we wanted to lift our dump truck or water truck (one of each), we have to have the bay door open.
View All Quotes

Sounds like the finest gubmint work at play.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Had to stay till 230 today to do immediate changes to the shop.

Fucking absurd.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
What kinds of changes?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
What kinds of changes?
View Quote

His quittin time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]

His quittin time.
View All Quotes
What kinds of changes?

His quittin time.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#14]
What kinds of changes?
View Quote

Hyundai group is Infamous for when a contract changes hands that changes and updates should be made. other brands are the same but Hyundai goes HARDER than any of them.

we are going to deal with Kia more than we are the new owners for all of this and next month.

at least the new owners know the deal as they already own a kia and hyundai plot back home.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:24:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#15]

Hyundai group is Infamous for when a contract changes hands that changes and updates should be made. other brands are the same but Hyundai goes HARDER than any of them.

we are going to deal with Kia more than we are the new owners for all of this and next month.

at least the new owners know the deal as they already own a kia and hyundai plot back home.
View Quote

That's not just Kia, they don't "go harder" than anyone else.

We're looking at multiple 6 figures to change things in our shop from dark blue to black. Boxes, lifts, walls, gutters, you name it. The shop we built new in 2018 isn't compliant anymore
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

We're looking at multiple 6 figures to change things in our shop from dark blue to black. Boxes, lifts, walls, gutters, you name it. The shop we built new in 2018 isn't complaint anymore
View All Quotes

We're looking at multiple 6 figures to change things in our shop from dark blue to black. Boxes, lifts, walls, gutters, you name it. The shop we built new in 2018 isn't complaint anymore

Our shop's biggest (amongst many) is being on well water and septic, and any upgrades we do can only happen if we get on city water and sewer. The city came out 4ish years ago and ran water and sewer mains to the property, but we haven't gone beyond that. And Cat requires any new or majorly updated facilities to have a/c to deal with contamination control and that will be another huge expense.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Skid steer came in with a flashing service light. No active codes whatsoever. Did a software update, no change. Tested a new display, no change. Engineering gave me an even newer software flash that hasn't been published yet and told me to disable the MSS, update the software, and then reenable the MSS. And this worked. Started it several times and the light stayed off. Go to drive it out of the bay and the light comes on again. I try disconnecting the CAN lines at the display and ECM and run a bypass. Didn't work and it took out other systems at the same time. Then I tried back probing and connecting my bypass wiring, now I can't see the machine ECM in ET. Removed my bypass and the ECM still isn't showing up. When I took the ECM connector off I saw a little moisture on the face of the connector but nothing excessive and no corrosion. Gonna try stabbing in a test ECM whenever it comes in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
3116 with more fuel than coolant in the cooling system...wonder what causes that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
3116 with more fuel than coolant in the cooling system...wonder what causes that.
View Quote

Huh.

That’s interesting.

Also interesting (and probably ruined as of today) new dozer at work.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#20]
This is why i drink.

Attachment Attached File

Us desert rats aren't used to this rust shit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#21]

Huh.

That’s interesting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_9071_jpeg-3108404.JPG
View All Quotes

Huh.

That’s interesting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_9071_jpeg-3108404.JPG

Oh snap! Keep us updated on how the XE does in a landfill role.

ETA Do they have a trash box?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Trash box? Don’t think so. Has the guard on the blade. Has a dealer built box around the fire suppression shit. I’ll be back at work Tuesday and, if I remember, I’ll take pics of 3 days worth of damage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Trash box? Don’t think so. Has the guard on the blade. Has a dealer built box around the fire suppression shit. I’ll be back at work Tuesday and, if I remember, I’ll take pics of 3 days worth of damage.
View All Quotes

I guess technically they're called a striker, but all of the trash ends up in there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Shes got the drip.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Shes got the drip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0QURiA9Yw
View Quote

Let me guess, Only do the ones that are leaking?

Or do they want all 6 done?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

View All Quotes
Shes got the drip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0QURiA9Yw

Didnt give them the option to do only one. Who knows if another was leaking when it got hot. If the damn tool wouldn't keep breaking I'd have the injectors back in by now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone working at a landfill where the TarpArmor daily cover system is in use?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#28]
View Quote

Sometimes I think I'm in a landfill, then I remember it’s just a Benz dealership
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
One that I used to go to a lot used that or a very similar setup. Seemed ok. D8's had no problem but 836 had problems lifting it sometimes
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
One that I used to go to a lot used that or a very similar setup. Seemed ok. D8's had no problem but 836 had problems lifting it sometimes
View Quote

We use tarpomatic. While it does what it’s supposed to do, our operators pretty much have us doing field repairs monthly. The tarparmor machine is supposed to address a lot of our issues, and I was hoping for some experience from this lot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#31]
had the hood of a car fly open while driving today.

i swear it was closed, did not make a squeak or rattle either which is strange for our brand.

and by pure chance the hood open switch no longer works so for this vintage it defaults to disabled so it gave me no indication that it was unlatched, what are the fucking odds.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#32]
had the hood of a car fly open while driving today.

i swear it was closed, did not make a squeak or rattle either which is strange for our brand.

and by pure chance the hood open switch no longer works so for this vintage it defaults to disabled so it gave me no indication that it was unlatched, what are the fucking odds.
View Quote

yikes, glad you're okay.  That happened to my Manager a month or so ago and he was on the fucking highway.  In his case it was his fault and he admitted to it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#34]

What'd you do!?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#35]

What'd you do!?
View Quote

Ain’t got no gas in it.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#36]
At least you can knock out the undercarriage on the right side now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Sometimes I think I'm in a landfill, then I remember it’s just a Benz dealership
View Quote

I know that feeling all too well. My problem isnt working at a Benz dealer. This is where I work, and this is who i work for.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#38]

You can’t park there!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#39]

You can’t park there!
View All Quotes

You can’t park there!

It's a cat so..."if I fits, I sits"
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#40]

View Quote

I told him it could happen to anyone.
Attachment Attached File

Had AI upscale the original, which was myspace sized.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#41]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_9402_jpeg-3140131.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_9402_jpeg-3140131.JPG

Damn an A1? Were you in the guard and getting ancient hand-me-downs?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

That was an M2A2 W/ODS, thank you very much.

USAREUR had older gear than guard units.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Talking about the M88
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Talking about the M88
View Quote

I was in the Brad. Knocked me clean out. We couldn’t open the hatches enough to get out with body armor on, so we bailed in Nomex and M4s. The Brad was fully on its side when our mechanics came out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Found one of these wheel and arm combos in the far back corner of the compound you see in the background. It took the entire M2, mount, and full ammo can out of the turret and turned it upside down. Luckily the roller did its job. First thing my gunner asked was if his legs were still attached. Then asked if he gets his CIB.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Found one of these wheel and arm combos in the far back corner of the compound you see in the background. It took the entire M2, mount, and full ammo can out of the turret and turned it upside down. Luckily the roller did its job. First thing my gunner asked was if his legs were still attached. Then asked if he gets his CIB.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/321471_288518521163347_505176289_n_28851-2005443.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/317421_288518707829995_52017516_n_288518-2005442.jpg

View Quote

Ooof.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Ooof.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/321471_288518521163347_505176289_n_28851-2005443.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/317421_288518707829995_52017516_n_288518-2005442.jpg

Ooof.

Just one of my many TBIs. I tried to eat the FBCB2 screen.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#48]
The twelve scariest words in the automotive profession.

I Used to be a mechanic and I worked on it myself.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

View Quote

Its not wrong.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top