BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
Can't you reach a right angle pick(the bigger ones for peeling off hoses) beside the casting to get under the lifter? Otherwise find something to drive/wedge in there then yank it out. We've had some that destroyed the block and never came out.
View Quote

That's where I was going next but decided to stick a cam down the adjacent lifter bore to take a look. Cant tell if the cam lobe is wiped out or not but I'm guessing it is.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

That's where I was going next but decided to stick a cam down the adjacent lifter bore to take a look. Cant tell if the cam lobe is wiped out or not but I'm guessing it is.
View Quote

Several years ago there was a service letter about the lifter issues in a C9. I almost posted last night about you quoting a reman, because of what you found this morning. But I was too tired to post anything. I am sure those service letters are expired by now though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

Several years ago there was a service letter about the lifter issues in a C9. I almost posted last night about you quoting a reman, because of what you found this morning. But I was too tired to post anything. I am sure those service letters are expired by now though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I found some old engine news articles about updated lifters and guides but even those "updated" parts have been updated a few more times. This one still had the factory lifters and guides in it. 12 years old but only 3700 hours. The "fun" part is it's in a Weiler asphalt transfer machine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Customer wants me to "clean up the bore and throw a new lifter and cam in it". Who knows how much metal is in the main and rod bearings (can't drop the pan without removing the engine). And I don't even know if I can lift the lifter high enough to clear the journals to get the cam out.

He's coming by in the morning to take a look at it and talk about it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Got em out. No damage to the lifter bores or cam bearings. Surprised that the cam lobe was still there. Just crushed it a bit. Somehow, the roller still turns freely.

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats a lucky customer or good engineering, I'd go with both.
That thing is so smashed I'd expect alot more damage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Any Cat guys (or anyone, really) having problems getting parts in that contain "Russian steel"? I've been waiting on two hydraulic fittings to make up a hose for 2 weeks now that are on hold because they contain steel from Russia, apparently.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Any Cat guys (or anyone, really) having problems getting parts in that contain "Russian steel"? I've been waiting on two hydraulic fittings to make up a hose for 2 weeks now that are on hold because they contain steel from Russia, apparently.
View Quote

Not because of “Russian steel,” but parts that are physically located in Russia. That sounds like either a bullshit story, or the parts are actually made in Russia and there’s no other source yet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

Not because of “Russian steel,” but parts that are physically located in Russia. That sounds like either a bullshit story, or the parts are actually made in Russia and there’s no other source yet.
View All Quotes

Could be that. That's just what parts are telling us. That being said, of all the shit I've ordered I've never had anything come from Russia. The fittings I'm waiting on are nothing special, so I don't see why they'd only be in Russia.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Could be that. That's just what parts are telling us. That being said, of all the shit I've ordered I've never had anything come from Russia. The fittings I'm waiting on are nothing special, so I don't see why they'd only be in Russia.
View Quote

I got the “the only one available is in Russia” from our local dealer, and then called the one in KC and had it dropped off in Wheatland the next day.

I think they’re feeding you a line of shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#11]
Someone mentioned they’ll let this go for $10 million. Unrestored, but it’s all aluminum and that’s really rare?

Already at the classic center, so take it as is or leave a second check and pick it up in 4 years good as new

It’s fantastic. I’d take it as is over the blue one they have next to it in showroom condition.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]

I got the “the only one available is in Russia” from our local dealer, and then called the one in KC and had it dropped off in Wheatland the next day.

View All Quotes

Who knows. I'm 87% sure they can hit up any of the multitude of hydraulic shops in town and get the fittings I need. When I order things, I can see exactly where it's coming from no matter what dealer network, so parts can't hide that part from me. But it just said "CBO" which is Cat Back Order. They looked into it further and came up with the Russian stuff. We had to order a new surface plate the other day (somehow an 80# plate of steel just disappeared ) and it wound up being "on hold" because of the same shit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#13]
Customer states: ain't got no pressure.

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Ain’t got no gas in it.
View All Quotes

Mmmmhm
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Doesn't look like you have any pieces missing at least
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope, all accounted for.

This company has a ton of D8s converted to scraper pulling and they all keep exploding implement pumps for some unknown reason. They just toss in a new pump, clean out the tank if anything made it that far and kidney loop it. Lead tech wants me to go through the valve stack but we have to wait until the owner comes and looks at the damage to see how far he wants to go.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope, all accounted for.

This company has a ton of D8s converted to scraper pulling and they all keep exploding implement pumps for some unknown reason. They just toss in a new pump, clean out the tank if anything made it that far and kidney loop it. Lead tech wants me to go through the valve stack but we have to wait until the owner comes and looks at the damage to see how far he wants to go.
View Quote

I’ve never had the pleasure of screwing with an implement pump.  I almost got to replace an injector on our 745, but the boss wanted the truck done friday and I wasn’t coming in on my day off.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#19]

I’ve never had the pleasure of screwing with an implement pump.  I almost got to replace an injector on our 745, but the boss wanted the truck done friday and I wasn’t coming in on my day off.
View All Quotes
Nope, all accounted for.

Not a bad job, but you spend 99% of your time laying through the floor of the cab. My back has been screaming at me all day.

At least it was a dirt machine and not a trash one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Is this bad?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Perfectly normal....when you hit a bridge.

And that's a factory-fresh baby too. Still has the wiper protection on.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]

That’s hawt!

This plow truck had a brand new cylinder on it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#23]

That’s hawt!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_8350_jpeg-3016981.JPG
View All Quotes

That’s hawt!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_8350_jpeg-3016981.JPG

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ve bent rods on lighter stuff but never took out a cylinder
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By prossound:
I’ve bent rods on lighter stuff but never took out a cylinder
View Quote

Then you're not a very good operator.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

The operator dropped the blade, except he was on a spot where the bottom of it was lower than the tires.  

And that was a really cheap cylinder.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have this toyota to unfuck lol

Job one was to get the timing set replaced...it was 3 teeth off on the intake.

Still have P0340 but no more code for the reference being an issue, so the actual timing is fixed, now I have to see what's up with that, Toyota OEM manual says at this point, it's looking like it's the sensor of the EMM. I checked out all the wiring and ref voltages...so that's where I am at on that.

Now I gotta figure out the loud as knocking at idle.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#28]
For a couple of weeks, we’ve been telling the site supervisor that he needs to give us a dozer. For the same time frame, we’ve been telling the crew leaders to not use this dozer for anything trash related.
Attachment Attached File

Today, 1 minutes before COB for the shop, they called us because they were using it in trash to tarp (with another D8T sitting on the trash floor, empty) and threw fucking track.

Bout done, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
For a couple of weeks, we’ve been telling the site supervisor that he needs to give us a dozer. For the same time frame, we’ve been telling the crew leaders to not use this dozer for anything trash related.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_8390_jpeg-3019555.JPG

Today, 1 minutes before COB for the shop, they called us because they were using it in trash to tarp (with another D8T sitting on the trash floor, empty) and threw fucking track.

Bout done, gentlemen.
View Quote

I'd tell them it sounds like a you problem, not a me problem.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#30]

I'd tell them it sounds like a you problem, not a me problem.
View Quote

We even have new rollers, idlers, sprocket segments, rebuilt chain, new pads, and hardware because the site supervisor has known for over a month that the chains on this dozer were shot.

He still wouldn’t give it to us.

If I had my own tools, I’d be in the private sector by now, where there’s actual accountability somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Boys, the Chinese dun got me finally.

I have largely been unaffected by the supply chain woes/excuse (depending on one's perspective) for the last three years. Now, I need four bushings. Dana 2001897 is back ordered until 11/4/24.

Can anyone suggest a dealer or distributor that might have inventory? I know they are in the wild, as they can be had from Ford (5C3Z-3B203-BA) for $80-116/ea. The Dana packaged bushings are only $40/ea.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#32]
Are all 836ks a bag of never ending emissions problems, or do we have a lemon?
Attachment Attached File

I literally can’t go with it long enough to bring the H down for a service.  Cat fixes the fault, 20-50 hours later, there’s another.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Are all 836ks a bag of never ending emissions problems, or do we have a lemon?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_0162_jpeg-3021206.JPG
I literally can’t go with it long enough to bring the H down for a service.  Cat fixes the fault, 20-50 hours later, there’s another.
View Quote

Tell your operator to stop pissing in the DEF tank and splashing it on the wiring.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#34]
How hard is it to do a compressor on an L10? Customer has one leaking air out of all its holes. I quoted a new on but they insist they have one on the shelf……. How much you wanna bet it’s wrong?
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't think it'd be all that hard to do on that old of an engine. But I guess it could depend on what it's in too.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't think it'd be all that hard to do on that old of an engine. But I guess it could depend on what it's in too.
View Quote

I don’t have a whole lot of faith in the whole thing
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:

View All Quotes

Charge double and say there's no warranty.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#38]
How hard is it to do a compressor on an L10? Customer has one leaking air out of all its holes. I quoted a new on but they insist they have one on the shelf……. How much you wanna bet it’s wrong?
View Quote

Make sure you have the right half moon wrench to fit it. IIRC, the bolts that hold it won't let you put a normal wrench or socket on it. I believe all the big tool companies make a specific wrench for them. Especially if it's in a truck.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Make sure you have the right half moon wrench to fit it. IIRC, the bolts that hold it won't let you put a normal wrench or socket on it. I believe all the big tool companies make a specific wrench for them. Especially if it's in a truck.

View All Quotes

If not, break out the torch.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#40]

If not, break out the torch.
View Quote

Sometimes I make this step one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#41]

We even have new rollers, idlers, sprocket segments, rebuilt chain, new pads, and hardware because the site supervisor has known for over a month that the chains on this dozer were shot.

He still wouldn't give it to us.

If I had my own tools, I'd be in the private sector by now, where there's actual accountability somewhere.
View Quote
Apply for this exam:
https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx?examCD=3FS46

And this exam:
https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx?examCD=2TR99

I'm going to have several openings in the next 3 months, the corrections position is not behind the wall. And I can hire off of the Caltrans list if you apply for a job.

One of my locations could work out a deal where you fly in, work 4/10s, fly home. The equipment operators do that.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
If its in a truck/bus you will need a moon wrench or bend a sacrificial wrench. Some of the equipment and industrial engines can be done with a long extension and wobble socket, but even then its usually easier to just use a moon wrench.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Harbor freight sells S wrench’s. Holy shit that’s a dumb spot for a bolt. That was the worst part. The air compressor is in and running. I must say the L10 fired right up even with not bleeding the lines after cracking everything open. The air issue for the brakes is fixed but now the actual brakes have failed now that we can test the machine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#44]
One of our rental D8s went for a swim. Trans is full of water and sand. Gonna be nice bill.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#45]
One of our rental D8s went for a swim. Trans is full of water and sand. Gonna be nice bill.
View Quote

Just swap for a reman and deny the core.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
Apply for this exam:
https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx?examCD=3FS46

And this exam:
https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx?examCD=2TR99

I'm going to have several openings in the next 3 months, the corrections position is not behind the wall. And I can hire off of the Caltrans list if you apply for a job.

One of my locations could work out a deal where you fly in, work 4/10s, fly home. The equipment operators do that.

View Quote

Wait a minute…….. I just read this
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#47]
We need to go back to specialists' and 50/50.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:47:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#48]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
We need to go back to specialists' and 50/50.
View Quote

I'm in, I'd be making $700k a year or so. I'd even give up my salary, but I'm keeping profit sharing
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#49]
So we've had an 836K in the shop since late summer for transmission and axle work. Due to parts delays he finally got it back together last week. It wont turn over. Did a bunch of electrical t/s with no success. Comes in one morning to find coolant running out of the turbo. Damn thing hydro locked itself.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#50]
So we've had an 836K in the shop since late summer for transmission and axle work. Due to parts delays he finally got it back together last week. It wont turn over. Did a bunch of electrical t/s with no success. Comes in one morning to find coolant running out of the turbo. Damn thing hydro locked itself.
View Quote

Lolololol

Fuckin compactors.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top