Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I'm hit or miss on unions. Mine has been pretty drama-free and does a decent job at getting us what we want. On the other hand, they cause the price of everything in our industry (and others) to skyrocket. Not to mention a lot of the corruption and shit with many.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

Dealer and. Field guys are even more.

no union here though.

I'm hit or miss on unions. Mine has been pretty drama-free and does a decent job at getting us what we want. On the other hand, they cause the price of everything in our industry (and others) to skyrocket. Not to mention a lot of the corruption and shit with many.

Yeah, years ago I was in the operating engineers here and it was ok. But I always did better for myself working non union than I ever did union.

Not to mention when the guys in New York went on strike at the cat dealer there, we sent about 40 guys to that dealer to keep him afloat. Those guys settled and came back to work for less than what the dealer offered before they struck. That was about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

What do you repair exactly anyway? MBs right?

Here I am trying to squeeze $30 an hour out of them

The MB place here starts people at 22 or so here

Cost of living is dirt cheap here
View Quote

Yes, MB. Sprinter specifically but I help with problem cars as well.

40 an hour flat rate plus a small salary and profit sharing. It’s been a good year. I say that each year and it keeps getting better. I’m a firm believer in doing more than you’re paid for and the good that comes from it. Open the doors in the morning, lock them on the way out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]

But you're still gonna need tools.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

Dealer and union. We only top out at what we can negotiate. At the end of this contract we'll be knocking on the door of $50. Field guys are even more.

Local cat guys keep asking me to apply.  I’m tempted for the raise, but it’d disappear as soon as I had to buy tools.

Gotta spend money to make money.

I’m 44. I’d rather spend that kind of money on a 30x40 with a two post lift.

But you're still gonna need tools.

I got a craftsman 450 set.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

The biggest benefit to them is you can open them, clean out the trash and leave them open and then pull forward and they don't drag on the ground.

They should be clear for stands, but you will still have to remove them to pull a converter and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZy6T1DdXKE
View Quote

Those are the biggest waste of money on the entire machine around here. They're seized on every one I've ever touched and have probably been that way since the 2nd service.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
If anyone wants a new job, I have a few positions opening up and one open right now.

Tops out around 38/hr, pension, full benefits, 401k/457 if you want them as well, cheap and conservative parts of the state.

https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=392530

The top 15 on this list all work here, just to give you all an idea of actual pay: https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/search/?a=state-of-california&q=Heavy+Equipment+Mechanic+&y=2022

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
If anyone wants a new job, I have a few positions opening up and one open right now.

Tops out around 38/hr, pension, full benefits, 401k/457 if you want them as well, cheap and conservative parts of the state.

https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=392530

The top 15 on this list all work here, just to give you all an idea of actual pay: https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/search/?a=state-of-california&q=Heavy+Equipment+Mechanic+&y=2022

View Quote

Gotta wear SCBA/respirators? Ain't moving to Cali AND shaving my beard, and taking a pay cut.

And what's with the Prison Rape Elimination Act stuff? How many equipment techs come into contact with inmates?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#7]

Gotta wear SCBA/respirators? Ain't moving to Cali AND shaving my beard, and taking a pay cut.

And what's with the Prison Rape Elimination Act stuff? How many equipment techs come into contact with inmates?
View Quote

My very first shop job was at Jiffy Lube, we brought in jail workers every day.

They kept a cell phone, a pack of cigarettes and a girlfriend in the back room
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maslin02:

It's Jiffy Lube...I understand. But fire protection interacting w/ inmates?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If I was 10 years younger……
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Two of us mechanics at the landfill, 70 pieces of equipment, and 5 needing work *right now*.

I’m hoping someone can kick my head in the correct direction.  We have a TFN 740C ejector that blows its key switch fuse every time the key is turned to “on.”  Won’t even make it to the start position.  I’ve put a larger fuse in (15A) for shits and giggles, but it calls for a 7.5.  Makes not difference. Turn key to on, “pop.”

Threw a key switch assy at it this morning, still does it. Can’t make sense of the schematics on a 15” laptop, keep getting lost trying to “trace” either from “voltage when key on” wire on the key switch harness or the f21 fuse.  

This used to be an intermittent problem with this truck, but yesterday it became an all the time problem.

What are some quick areas for me to check for whatever is shorting before I get stupid and start pulling the harnesses out like spaghetti?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Worked on putting the track adjuster/idler bits back in a d8’s track frame today using a come along and our anemic truck crane. Got it almost to the point that the main part of the piston was going past the seal, but it jammed up.  Released the come along to change how I was pulling.

Forgot that I’d disconnected the crane.

Whole damn thing rolled back up to the blade.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Two of us mechanics at the landfill, 70 pieces of equipment, and 5 needing work *right now*.

I’m hoping someone can kick my head in the correct direction.  We have a TFN 740C ejector that blows its key switch fuse every time the key is turned to “on.”  Won’t even make it to the start position.  I’ve put a larger fuse in (15A) for shits and giggles, but it calls for a 7.5.  Makes not difference. Turn key to on, “pop.”

Threw a key switch assy at it this morning, still does it. Can’t make sense of the schematics on a 15” laptop, keep getting lost trying to “trace” either from “voltage when key on” wire on the key switch harness or the f21 fuse.  

This used to be an intermittent problem with this truck, but yesterday it became an all the time problem.

What are some quick areas for me to check for whatever is shorting before I get stupid and start pulling the harnesses out like spaghetti?
View Quote

You could go to the main relay but it's behind the fuse panel and see if the short goes away or just go to the next connector after the switch and disconnect it and see if you lose the short. If not there, go to the next connector. Rinse and repeat until you find a connector that gets rid of your short.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
well i got a $3 raise
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
well i got a $3 raise
View Quote

So you're buying the rounds tonight?
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#15]
Installed new shocks on all four corners, a new vacuum advance and reset the timing on my big boi.

It was smooth before but now holy moly.

Amazing.

Makes me hate modern cars even more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Have to shave, no SCBA, and if your north of 150k a year good for you!

The PREA is for my Camp mechanics, they have inmates working for them every day. About 58 of my mechanics deal with inmates and have to do the PREA, but its easy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]

The PREA is for my Camp mechanics, they have inmates working for them every day. About 58 of my mechanics deal with inmates and have to do the PREA, but its easy.
View All Quotes

Nowhere near 150k. The ad said 28/hr (I think, it's been a minute since i looked at it) and I'm well above that. I did prisoner shit in Iraq, I'll pass. ,
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Nowhere near 150k. The ad said 28/hr (I think, it's been a minute since i looked at it) and I'm well above that. I did prisoner shit in Iraq, I'll pass. ,
View Quote
28/hr is starting pay, 38/hr is topped out BASE pay. There are some add ons, and I pay 16-24hrs days when assigned to a fire.
My guys who don't like OT are in the 80k range, the rest are around 150k. Most of the overtime happens between July and Oct.

I totally get the inmate thing, it's not for everyone. Our program is a good one and they are low level offenders so no violent crimes. There are some perks for the guys who work at camp (the higher base pay, a bump to their retirement) to offset the dumb shit you occasionally get to deal with.

No pressure, just explaining things incase someone reading is interested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#19]
28/hr is starting pay, 38/hr is topped out BASE pay. There are some add ons, and I pay 16-24hrs days when assigned to a fire.
My guys who don't like OT are in the 80k range, the rest are around 150k. Most of the overtime happens between July and Oct.

I totally get the inmate thing, it's not for everyone. Our program is a good one and they are low level offenders so no violent crimes. There are some perks for the guys who work at camp (the higher base pay, a bump to their retirement) to offset the dumb shit you occasionally get to deal with.

View All Quotes

It does sound like a good opportunity. Unfortunately, I'd just be trading one liberal-infested state for another. And the wife would never move while she still has family alive.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#20]

It does sound like a good opportunity. Unfortunately, I'd just be trading one liberal-infested state for another. And the wife would never move while she still has family alive.
View Quote
I know the feeling, I'm still here because of family as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#21]
You guys ever hiring around Auburn area? Seems like every couple of months someone from our dealer joins you guys. Seems like a good gig but due to some health issues in my family I can't move south at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sb33:
You guys ever hiring around Auburn area? Seems like every couple of months someone from our dealer joins you guys. Seems like a good gig but due to some health issues in my family I can't move south at the moment.
View Quote
Yup, that's outside my area so I'm not up on their status, but off the top of my head we have shops in Auburn, Lincoln, Tahoe, Davis, Camino and Ione as well. I know there is an opening in Ione, but I don't know if they have advertised for it.

If you or someone you know is considering applying, fill out the application and submit for this exam:
https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx?examCD=3FS34

It gets you eligibility to apply for a position with the state. The hiring process is harder than the exam or job interview and takes forever.
If you want, PM me and I'll walk you through the whole process.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Yup, that's outside my area so I'm not up on their status, but off the top of my head we have shops in Auburn, Lincoln, Tahoe, Davis, Camino and Ione as well. I know there is an opening in Ione, but I don't know if they have advertised for it.

If you or someone you know is considering applying, fill out the application and submit for this exam:
https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx?examCD=3FS34

It gets you eligibility to apply for a position with the state. The hiring process is harder than the exam or job interview and takes forever.
If you want, PM me and I'll walk you through the whole process.
View Quote

I appreciate all the info. I'll pass it on, I know a couple other guys here will be interested.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Spent the day doing wheel seals, rotors, pads, shoes, and bearings on back of my work truck. Noticed this going back together. Joy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]
You're good, just let it roll.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#26]
You're good, just let it roll.
View Quote

There's no rust, so DOT won't notice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

There’s your problem right there.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had several of those relays short out in the last 6-7yrs, some in spectacular fashion causing fires. Never had any before that. I figure they had to have changed supplier or something.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#29]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/image_jpg-2961180.JPG
View All Quotes

That the one behind the fuse panel?
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Sure is man. Thanks for confirming what’d id kinda suspected from the schematic.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Sure is man. Thanks for confirming what’d id kinda suspected from the schematic.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got a dumb one. There's a brake squeal on the gf's truck. Several months ago it got new pads (ac delco front, Wagner rear, it's what oreily had at the time), all rotors turned, slide pins cleaned or replaced and lubed with new boots, contact surfaces lubed with permatex high temp brake parts lube. It's been quiet until recently. Seems to only squeal when hot and it will come and go with changing pedal pressure. I can see there's some strange deposits on some rotor surfaces. I want to say I've read about old pad material imbedding into the rotor and maybe it wasn't all turned off? I'm going to look at it in the next day or so. I ordered a new front and rear rotor and pads so I can just change it when I figure out which one it is. It's just aggravating. Is there a pad to buy or stay away from when noise is a concern?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
I've got a dumb one. There's a brake squeal on the gf's truck. Several months ago it got new pads (ac delco front, Wagner rear, it's what oreily had at the time), all rotors turned, slide pins cleaned or replaced and lubed with new boots, contact surfaces lubed with permatex high temp brake parts lube. It's been quiet until recently. Seems to only squeal when hot and it will come and go with changing pedal pressure. I can see there's some strange deposits on some rotor surfaces. I want to say I've read about old pad material imbedding into the rotor and maybe it wasn't all turned off? I'm going to look at it in the next day or so. I ordered a new front and rear rotor and pads so I can just change it when I figure out which one it is. It's just aggravating. Is there a pad to buy or stay away from when noise is a concern?
View Quote

I'd stay away from Powerstop Extremes. Put a set on my truck and bedded them in exactly as they said. When it's cold outside, it's like when Freddy Kruger drags his knives across steel. They take 3 or 4 good stops before they warm up enough and quiet down. And they didn't even seem to help my braking ability. I contacted them about when the first cold day hit and several times since and they refuse to talk to me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
View Quote

I've always had the best luck with brakes from the dealer. Even if they're NAPA AC Delco, are they the same as the dealer AC Delco? Probably not if they're half the price. The GM side of my last shop went through superlube like it was going out of style. I think they coated every brake part they could.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#35]
On my 78 Lincoln with auto ac

Everything seems to work but the blower turns off when it is set to "heat"

Seen this before?

@m35ben
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#36]
On my 78 Lincoln with auto ac

Everything seems to work but the blower turns off when it is set to "heat"

Seen this before?

@m35ben
View Quote
Is it climate controlled?
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Is it climate controlled?
View Quote

Yes, all town car trims were

Early vacuum controled automatic ac stuffs

@m35ben
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Yes, all town car trims were

Early vacuum controled automatic ac stuffs

@m35ben
View Quote
If the system detects that the temperature is above what it's set for it may shut the fan off. It doesn't always work that way though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#39]
Forgot to mention that the blower motor works fine On every other setting a but heat, even defrost.

I really just need to break down and buy the ETM book for this thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Forgot to mention that the blower motor works fine On every other setting a but heat, even defrost.

View Quote
I'm trying to remember all of this stuff. This seems familiar.  https://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84835
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#41]

View Quote

Hold off until it’s cold in the morning and see what’s up.

Edit: after looking at ben’s link, gross. Good luck, man.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Hold off until it's cold in the morning and see what's up.

Edit: after looking at ben's link, gross. Good luck, man.
View Quote
I wish I could remember all of this shit. https://lincolnlandinc.com/1978_mark_v_blower_motor_issue/
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
I wish I could remember all of this shit. https://lincolnlandinc.com/1978_mark_v_blower_motor_issue/
View Quote

Noice
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok...how does one pull a lifter out of a C9 when the guide clip is broken off below the deck? If I grab it with a pair of pliers the clip will cock sideways and prevent it from coming out. I'm gonna try to find something that fits the bore really tightly and try to stuff a shim down next to the guide and see if that will hold it in place enough to get it out.

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Ok...how does one pull a lifter out of a C9 when the guide clip is broken off below the deck? If I grab it with a pair of pliers the clip will cock sideways and prevent it from coming out. I'm gonna try to find something that fits the bore really tightly and try to stuff a shim down next to the guide and see if that will hold it in place enough to get it out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20231009_151520-2985251.jpg
View Quote

Try a magnet?
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Try a magnet?
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20231009_151520-2985251.jpg

Try a magnet?

Tried that. The lube suction to the bore is too strong and as soon as the guide hits it comes off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Tried that. The lube suction to the bore is too strong and as soon as the guide hits it comes off.
View Quote

Compressed air?

I’m just spitballing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Compressed air?

I’m just spitballing.
View All Quotes

Compressed air?

I’m just spitballing.

But where would you blow ()? You'd need access to the underside but the cam is still in it and if you did have access then you could pry or tap it up. It'll spin in the bore, so I can't simply run a tap into it (probably too hard to tap anyway) and thread a bolt in to pull it out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Can't you reach a right angle pick(the bigger ones for peeling off hoses) beside the casting to get under the lifter? Otherwise find something to drive/wedge in there then yank it out. We've had some that destroyed the block and never came out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Definitely not getting it out. Quoting a reman after seeing how much metal is in the filter and the scoring on adjacent lifter bores.

Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top