BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

They use the same parts store stuff that we do so whatever I find will likely be the same, but I'll still give it a shot. One of our stores keeps a decent inventory of good used parts. I don't have access to their inventory though, but I could get their number for you.
View Quote

Whatever Fabick uses, it’s not what Foley uses.  There’s been several times Fabick has told me something is unavailable, I’ll call Foley in KC, and have a part waiting at their drop box the next morning.

Sometimes dealership games piss me off.

Sometimes I wish I had a 40x40 shop with good high-strength concrete so I could shift fire to ag and dirt machine work at my house.

I’d have responded with my experiences in the GD thread you guys have, but still locked.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

Appreciate it. No big rush. Fabick surprised the shit out of me by finding new parts, albeit in Germany, which adds a bunch of shipping.  Boss won’t be off vacation until Monday, and at the end of the fiscal year, I’m not authorizing $8k in parts and shipping without his ok.
View Quote

Yeah, I show the ring gear at $4000 available in Grimbergen Belgium. The abbreviation we get in the system is GRM so lots of people just assume that's Germany.

The planet gears are $1100 each and available in Morton IL. Which Fabick should be able to source from within a day or 2.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I got the same thing your guy got and cat-mech.

Call Altorfer Oglelsby 815-883-3336. They carry a bunch of used good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
customer complaint
"ignition does not turn far enough for car to start"

battery is dead

hangtag from the window staff at some university in NY.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
customer complaint

battery is dead

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

It gets better.

Attachment Attached File

Nice compost sandwich,  mind if I have a bite?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]

It gets better.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317810/20230608_092835_jpg-2844006.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It gets better.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317810/20230608_092835_jpg-2844006.JPG

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:45:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#8]
customer complaint

battery is dead

View Quote

Roadside call yesterday for a dead battery, sent an advisor to handle it.

She wasn’t pushing the brake pedal. On the $100k car that she owns and has owned for years.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I fucked up. Big time. I did a whole PM on a reach stacker (big container handler) and didn’t verify the serial number. Just went off which one the customer point out.

It was the wrong truck.

I’m in the dog house.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

Yeah, I show the ring gear at $4000 available in Grimbergen Belgium. The abbreviation we get in the system is GRM so lots of people just assume that's Germany.

The planet gears are $1100 each and available in Morton IL. Which Fabick should be able to source from within a day or 2.

View Quote

I’m jealous of your guys abilities to help
Each other out with the CAT stuff.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
I fucked up. Big time. I did a whole PM on a reach stacker (big container handler) and didn’t verify the serial number. Just went off which one the customer point out.

It was the wrong truck.

I’m in the dog house.
View Quote

Sorry man.

Had a customer that has 2 of the same machine. They said this one has this issue and it's coming in. I get into it and don't find anything wrong. Eventually found out they sent the wrong machine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Still waiting for the boss to authorize $$$ on that machine since we’re getting rid of it next year.

I’m not a medium truck guy.  Where should I start throwing parts at on a dump truck that is full of air on both tanks but the low air alarm is going off constantly?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Still waiting for the boss to authorize $$$ on that machine since we're getting rid of it next year.

I'm not a medium truck guy.  Where should I start throwing parts at on a dump truck that is full of air on both tanks but the low air alarm is going off constantly?
View Quote
Depends on the system and mfg. First, is the air system getting to 120 and purging, then purging again in 30 seconds or less? If so, Check for an air leak at the D2 governor, its usually mounted to the air compressor or on the firewall, occasionally they hide the fucker on the back of the head or on the air drier just to fuck with mechanics. Then look at the purge valve for a leak while running.
While your under there, the low air switch should be on or between the air drier and compressor on older trucks, between the drier and wet tank on newer trucks. If it's been converted into a dump truck, go digging,  it could be anywhere including in the dash. Which reminds me, Some t300s were t-ed off the primary tank guage in the dash and shared a fuse with something in the dash (dash lights or switch power? I can't remember off hand) so when it quit working your low air alarm wouldn't shut off.
If its an international, it could be anything from the switch to the BCM, with a whole lot of options in between. Start by verifying the air pressure where the sensor is taking its reading from.
If its a freightliner, look for a shitty wire or connector. Ohm it all out, FL doesn't use good connectors or conductors and they have a lot of issues.
Paccar, it's most likely an issue at the switch, plugged line or bad switch. Damaged wires wouldn't be surprising either.

That should be enough info to ruin a morning chasing shit out, get me a little more info (make and year) and I'll narrow down for ya.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#14]

It was the wrong truck.

I’m in the dog house.
View Quote

We call that the cram and jam program "it really needed it so we did it while we were here to save you time and money"

when I was at the dealer, the SA handed me a key for one car and a ticket for another. I never looked at the ticket, just went and grabbed the car...

imagine my surprise when I'm draining the oil on a car that needed a speaker.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]

We call that the cram and jam program "it really needed it so we did it while we were here to save you time and money"

when I was at the dealer, the SA handed me a key for one car and a ticket for another. I never looked at the ticket, just went and grabbed the car...

View Quote

We did a multi thousand dollar recall on a van that got kicked back. Nothing was printed for the VIN, no record it ever came to the shop.

The van (body) was a flood car, not totaled. Every control unit in the car was from an accident van, also not totaled. You could see the history for both vans for a few years, then one just disappears.

Nothing illegal, but we got to eat that entire job and blew up any warranty he thought he had left. That one took a bit of head scratching.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I mean the unit I did was due for it but the realities are I messed up and it’s an expensive one so my head needed to roll in their eyes.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]

I mean the unit I did was due for it but the realities are I messed up and it’s an expensive one so my head needed to roll in their eyes.
View Quote

fuck.
knowing they pointed at that vehicle, and it needed the service they asked for, but it wasn't the correct one makes it suck even worse..

bummer.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#18]
guess what I get to do this afternoon.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#19]
@Aspp One of your trucks?

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone know where I can Send a 1970s era smog pump to get rebuilt?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
Depends on the system and mfg. First, is the air system getting to 120 and purging, then purging again in 30 seconds or less? If so, Check for an air leak at the D2 governor, its usually mounted to the air compressor or on the firewall, occasionally they hide the fucker on the back of the head or on the air drier just to fuck with mechanics. Then look at the purge valve for a leak while running.
While your under there, the low air switch should be on or between the air drier and compressor on older trucks, between the drier and wet tank on newer trucks. If it's been converted into a dump truck, go digging,  it could be anywhere including in the dash. Which reminds me, Some t300s were t-ed off the primary tank guage in the dash and shared a fuse with something in the dash (dash lights or switch power? I can't remember off hand) so when it quit working your low air alarm wouldn't shut off.
If its an international, it could be anything from the switch to the BCM, with a whole lot of options in between. Start by verifying the air pressure where the sensor is taking its reading from.
If its a freightliner, look for a shitty wire or connector. Ohm it all out, FL doesn't use good connectors or conductors and they have a lot of issues.
Paccar, it's most likely an issue at the switch, plugged line or bad switch. Damaged wires wouldn't be surprising either.

That should be enough info to ruin a morning chasing shit out, get me a little more info (make and year) and I'll narrow down for ya.

View Quote

Thanks for all this, and I’ll reach out. I spent yesterday finishing a 2000 hour svc on a D8T that had to be interrupted because they just had to have that dozer for a few days last week.

And, it’s inventory time, which is supposed to be my priority, but because of deferred maintenance caused by operations “needing” whatever equipment and stomping their little feet until they get it, I’ve not gotten that done because breakdowns.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
Anyone know where I can Send a 1970s era smog pump to get rebuilt?
View Quote

They smog that old of a car in IA?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:03:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#23]

They smog that old of a car in IA?
View Quote

No testing but all of them had it, issue is this is a early emmision car with egr, tricky to get it to run right without the pump

At least it does not have a variable venturi which requires propane to tune

I guess I should try to delete it all but it also is still duraspark controlled so I don't know if it will confuse the primitive computer

What say Ben? @m35ben
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#24]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7f-FN1dKJk
View Quote
Yup. On Fire Welding is a good outfit, Greg does good work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7f-FN1dKJk

Yes he does. His channel, IC Weld, and Cutting Edge Engineering are by far my favorite fab/welding channels on YT.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:56:09 AM EDT
[#26]

So, as a municipal employee, it's a royal, royal pain in the ass to update or install anything.  I'm getting the update tomorrow, and it'll take IS two weeks to install it.
View All Quotes
Also...dude, update your ET. It's 2023 doncha know.

So, as a municipal employee, it's a royal, royal pain in the ass to update or install anything.  I'm getting the update tomorrow, and it'll take IS two weeks to install it.
If they have their vehicles in your fleet, tell them you need a laptop with admin rights to fix it next time they down it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By StealthCRF:
If they have their vehicles in your fleet, tell them you need a laptop with admin rights to fix it next time they down it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthCRF:
Also...dude, update your ET. It's 2023 doncha know.

Let me know how that goes for you.

We all have dealer-level CAT software (and other shit) but we can't even change the wallpaper on our laptops or delete shortcuts to programs IT installs on them. Not the programs themselves, just the shortcuts that they bukake all over our desktops.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#28]

We all have dealer-level CAT software (and other shit) but we can't even change the wallpaper on our laptops or delete shortcuts to programs IT installs on them. Not the programs themselves, just the shortcuts that they bukake all over our desktops.
View Quote

I would be in so much trouble.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

It's so annoying. I put in an IT ticket to either set permissions to let me delete them or to have them delete them. The girl I talked to remoted in and deleted a few and said that I need to keep the others since they're "important programs". I tried to explain to her that it's only a shortcut and I can find any program I want by using the start menu and all of the programs I use daily are pinned to my taskbar. The next update they pushed out put all of the shortcuts right back.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Yes he does. His channel, IC Weld, and Cutting Edge Engineering are by far my favorite fab/welding channels on YT.
View Quote
Honestly, that was the first of his videos I have watched. I'll have to check some of his other stuff out.
I can tell you he is one of the better fabricators I have been around and he's a damn good mechanic as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Is this bad? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Yeah, it is. Those tires are getting pretty thin. Should probably get those replaced.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#33]

It was the wrong truck.

I’m in the dog house.
View Quote

i know a guy back at ford that replaced a engine on a Econoline back in the 1980s when they often had the same keys, wrong van but the key worked in both lol.

oops
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Every once in a while I'm amazed that I get paid to do what I do. And then someone opens thier mouth and proves I don't get paid nearly enough for this bullshit. Picture from my commute this morning before I got back into cell service....
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#35]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308503/20230615_070839-2852145.jpg

Every once in a while I'm amazed that I get paid to do what I do. And then someone opens thier mouth and proves I don't get paid nearly enough for this bullshit. Picture from my commute this morning before I got back into cell service....
View Quote

and
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
280 hours

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Chy-nah!
View All Quotes

They said the ac wasn't working.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Well, they're not wrong.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Well, they're not wrong.
View All Quotes

Well, they're not wrong.

I had to press the snowflake button for an operator the other day because the AC wasn’t working.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#41]
There's also a TIB about these machines either having the orifice tube in backwards or not installed at all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#44]

But how.
View All Quotes

Judging by how much oil staining was on the machine/dirt surrounding the compressor,  it seems like it might've been low on oil. They've had it for 2 years now so maybe it was slowly eating itself apart and finally said fuck it and left the party.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm also surprised that the clutch is strong enough to do all that instead of just smoking the belt off of it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#46]

But how.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#47]
04 wrangler with the big 4.0.

Just finished a 15 mile trail, lots of 30+ inclines/declines.

Right as we got to the parking lot (thank god) the oil pressure tanked and the engine got noisy as hell, bottom endy like.

How fucked are we once we tow this bastard home?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Right as we got to the parking lot (thank god) the oil pressure tanked and the engine got noisy as hell, bottom endy like.

View Quote
They are really tough engines, even if you have glitter there is a good chance a new pump and some 15w40 will let it keep running.
If you have to rebuild it, it's an easy one, and cheap.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#49]
They are really tough engines, even if you have glitter there is a good chance a new pump and some 15w40 will let it keep running.
View All Quotes

That’s what I told pops.  Mom drove down the hour from their house and snagged dad (his jeep) and my son up.  I’ll be waiting for the tow truck.  Figure if he wants to wait for me to have time, I can get everything done over the course of 6 months, or if he wants to pay $$ he can have it done sooner with warranty.  This was supposed to be a Father’s Day thing for us, so I can at least be thankful it didn’t happen on the trail itself, and that dad was able to spend an otherwise fun day getting driven around in the jeep he bought a few years before his health really shit the bed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aspp] [#50]

That's what I told pops.  Mom drove down the hour from their house and snagged dad (his jeep) and my son up.  I'll be waiting for the tow truck.  Figure if he wants to wait for me to have time, I can get everything done over the course of 6 months, or if he wants to pay $$ he can have it done sooner with warranty.  This was supposed to be a Father's Day thing for us, so I can at least be thankful it didn't happen on the trail itself, and that dad was able to spend an otherwise fun day getting driven around in the jeep he bought a few years before his health really shit the bed.
View Quote
It's not uncommon for the oil pickup tube to crack, low pressure rattles things around for a bit. If I'm that deep I change the pump to a high volume just to be safe.
Melling used to be a good pump for this engine.

It's cool you got 3 generations together for Father's day! My Pops is 4 hrs away with my Grandfather arguing over who is the better shot. My boys and I hoe'd weeds and washed the cars, now we are watching cartoons. Lol
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top