BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Alright cat boys. It’s your time to shine again. I have a kalmar forklift with a c6 in it. Customer complaint of oil leaks. Verify the banjo fitting below the injection pump just underneath the fuel water seperator was bad. I fixed that with copper orings.

Operator said he has some leaking hoses so we addressed those. While piddle farting around I see an oil leaks coming from the side of the engine with the turbo on it. I couldn’t make out where it was coming from so I took the charge air tube off and oil poured out of the tube. Remove the snail portion of the turbo and it has clearly been ejecting oil. Impeller does a little up down wobble. Bad Nagasaki noisy boi.

Get to looking and the oil tube from the block is also leaking. It has a little retainer clip on it. Is there an oring in there?

Take pics of the data plate and give it to parts. Parts cannot find a turbo from the data plate itself.

Is there a tag on the turbo? Are all c6 turbos the same?
View Quote

They definitely aren’t going to all be the same. Got a sn? A lot of the 6.6s dump the breather into the intake before the turbo and or have ccv filters that plug and no one changes. Both can make the turbo leak, or look like it is and make it squeeze oil out of every possible place on the engine.

The sn prefix on those is usually 666 if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright cat boys. It’s your time to shine again. I have a kalmar forklift with a c6 in it. Customer complaint of oil leaks. Verify the banjo fitting below the injection pump just underneath the fuel water seperator was bad. I fixed that with copper orings.

Operator said he has some leaking hoses so we addressed those. While piddle farting around I see an oil leaks coming from the side of the engine with the turbo on it. I couldn’t make out where it was coming from so I took the charge air tube off and oil poured out of the tube. Remove the snail portion of the turbo and it has clearly been ejecting oil. Impeller does a little up down wobble. Bad Nagasaki noisy boi.

Get to looking and the oil tube from the block is also leaking. It has a little retainer clip on it. Is there an oring in there?

Take pics of the data plate and give it to parts. Parts cannot find a turbo from the data plate itself.

Is there a tag on the turbo? Are all c6 turbos the same?
View Quote

Look like this?

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Yessssss
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:

They definitely aren’t going to all be the same. Got a sn? A lot of the 6.6s dump the breather into the intake before the turbo and or have ccv filters that plug and no one changes. Both can make the turbo leak, or look like it is and make it squeeze oil out of every possible place on the engine.

The sn prefix on those is usually 666 if that tells you anything.
View Quote

I cannot accurately say that I can see the serial number on the sticker…….
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Yessssss
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yessssss

277-9940
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
codes the BCM is throwing for the TPMS are B124D:02:8a and B1182:008A for the TPMS
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I love easy, fun days.  I did a 250 on an 836 while my new coworker repurposed a shelf made out of angle iron and expanded metal into a new filter/5 gallon bucket drain.  Super chill, great way to start an weekend.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:
I love easy, fun days.  I did a 250 on an 836 while my new coworker repurposed a shelf made out of angle iron and expanded metal into a new filter/5 gallon bucket drain.  Super chill, great way to start an weekend.
View Quote

very nice...custom made parts are the best
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I've been on a weekend since last Friday and it doesn't end until next Wednesday.

I'm bored out of my mind though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I've been on a weekend since last Friday and it doesn't end until next Wednesday.

View Quote

I can’t take that long of a vacation for that very reason.  Especially in cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:30:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#11]

View Quote

I was off Thursday to Thursday. I love getting paid to not work, but I was going crazy. Came back today just to work, it’s nice to have a 1 day week.

The amount of shit stacked up while I was gone is staggering. All the young guys just cherry picked services and dumped the diag ROs on to nobody. Great.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]

I can’t take that long of a vacation for that very reason.  Especially in cold weather.
View All Quotes

I'm terrible about taking vacation time and I always burn it off at the end of the year so I don't lose it. I hate cold weather so it means it's less time that I have to work outside. But that also means I'm usually just sitting on my ass.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

I was off Thursday to Thursday. I love getting paid to not work, but I was going crazy. Came back today just to work, it’s nice to have a 1 day week.

The amount of shit stacked up while I was gone is staggering. All the young guys just cherry picked services and dumped the diag ROs on to nobody. Great.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maslin02:

I'll work 2 days next week, then 2 the next. So 4 days of work over 3 weeks isn't bad.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Your new apprentice

Nan Meier. N? th? s?a ch?a ô tô chuyên nghi?p và d?ng c?p (P11)

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Your new apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTmRKpeDaM
View Quote

My back hurts just watching her hump those dual off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:28:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aspp] [#16]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Your new apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTmRKpeDaM
View Quote
I'd give her a spot in any of my shops, at least she is willing to work.

Edit for reasons
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Here’s a pic of me thinking about the Rat that just climbed up my leg. Brooklyn trash transfer station. Circa yesterday morning.

I still have the heeby jeebies.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:24:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#18]
Here’s a pic of me thinking about the Rat that just climbed up my leg. Brooklyn trash transfer station. Circa yesterday morning.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/BFF6EC8C-EAE1-44E1-BE32-F09C0E95A959_jpe-2643595.JPG
View Quote

I get the heebie jeebies thinking about NY too.

First day back after almost 2 weeks of vacation. Felt good not sitting on my ass, getiing bored and spending money.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#19]

First day back after almost 2 weeks of vacation. Felt good not sitting on my ass, getiing bored and spending money.
View Quote

You haven’t lived till you roll a 3 crane truck convoy through downtown Manhattan during rush hour. It’s actually kind of fun and I know there’s a transit van missing a mirror and a dent in the right side of my crane body.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]

You haven’t lived till you roll a 3 crane truck convoy through downtown Manhattan during rush hour. It’s actually kind of fun and I know there’s a transit van missing a mirror and a dent in the right side of my crane body.
View All Quotes

Rolled into Baghdad with a full HEMTT tanker, towing a HEMAT trailer with 2 ISU90's on the back of my wrecker. Some butter bar made a wrong turn and I had to turn that huge bitch around in a place it never should have been. Some property damage was caused.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#21]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/BFF6EC8C-EAE1-44E1-BE32-F09C0E95A959_jpe-2643595.JPG
View Quote

Shop cats keep me from having to deal with that.

Stay warm today, wrench bros.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
They gave us the option to leave early to beat the "snowpocalypse" if we wanted. I've got a blade to put back on a D6 that's outside. It'll be worse to do if I bounce and do it Tuesday.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Might get down to 45 degrees tonight, So I might wear a long sleeve shirt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
View Quote

I dont know how you do it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
View Quote

My sneaky plan is to take my fams on a vacation to AZ in the winter and tell ‘em dry heat ain’t bad if you drink water and eat salt.  45 degrees sounds like a chilly, but bearable winter.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#26]
got my first stick welder and gonna practice tonight

i plan on welding rock sliders that are otw for my 4wd.

Link Posted: 12/23/2022 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Shop cats keep me from having to deal with that.

Stay warm today, wrench bros.
View Quote

It started raining Ice on me yesterday while doing a pm. I went full ham to get it done. I’m off till Tuesday so I’ll be inside and warm. It’s not as cold as you guys but New Jersey will be sun freezing this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#28]
My beard kept freezing to my jacket/bibs yesterday while putting a blade back on a dozer.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Was supposed to be at FILs house 2.5 hours away today for Xmas.  It got canceled because of rural roads.

Went to work instead. Took 4 hours to get the tipper running, and another couple to get all kinds of heat bodges set up to keep it running.  When I left, the engine was wrapped with a concrete blanket that had a torpedo heating blowing under it.  Resting engine temp was around 140.

Bounced at 1230. I’m not even supposed to be there today.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Merry Christmas ya all! Carry on!
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
Merry Christmas ya all! Carry on!
View Quote

you too brother!
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Hope everyone got all they could ask for. This cold snap has everyone running breakdowns today. I went and thawed out a fuel tank in nyc this morning and got it running. My coworker is digging out two trucks in Pennsylvania. Another guy is somewhere.

Fun times.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Hope everyone got all they could ask for. This cold snap has everyone running breakdowns today. I went and thawed out a fuel tank in nyc this morning and got it running. My coworker is digging out two trucks in Pennsylvania. Another guy is somewhere.

Fun times.
View Quote

I don’t go back to work until Wednesday.  It’ll be 54 that day.

Out of all the “preventable” issues we have, this last bit of -20s windchills threw out all of our fuel gelling preps.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Out of all the “preventable” issues we have, this last bit of -20s windchills threw out all of our fuel gelling preps.
View All Quotes

Fun times.

I go back tomorrow. It's supposed to be upper 50's/lower 60's Wed/Thur.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#35]

I go back tomorrow. It's supposed to be upper 50's/lower 60's Wed/Thur.
View Quote

We opened late Friday over a nasty ice storm, mid 20’s and wet. Took the boat out yesterday, sunny and 64 on Christmas Day. Weird.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got a message to avoid the shop. Apparently a pipe burst sometime over the weekend and the place is flooded.

I’m never there anyways so that’s a blessing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got a message to avoid the shop. Apparently a pipe burst sometime over the weekend and the place is flooded.

I’m never there anyways so that’s a blessing.
View Quote

Shit, that's gonna be a mess. I couldn't imagine what our shop would look like if a pipe burst. We're on well water and the well is in the middle of the building and all of the piping goes straight up to the rafters.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:42:28 AM EDT
[#38]

I'm never there anyways so that's a blessing.
View Quote
Around 2004 or so I was working for a rental place, boss man called and told me to take the service truck home that night (no one but the owner got a take home vehicle) and asked if a couple of the lowbed drivers could park the 5 axles and 7 axles at my place.
Apparently, new guy in a d9 or 10 backed the ripper through the ditch bank on the canal next to the shop during a high flow. We had 3' of water in the shop and 4-6' in the yard.

The irony, the water district didn't own any heavy Equipment,  they rented it all from us. A couple of there guys, me, and my helper spent a day building the bank back up, then we had to rent pumps from that united company because all of our big pumps were rented or swamped under water. I quit shortly after when they came out and said they were not replacing anything damaged by the flood since it was the new guys fault. My chevy 1500 did not survive 6 days under water, and half of my tool box was under for 2 days.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#39]
She's a little bow legged.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#40]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20221229_110633-2653087.jpg
View Quote

Pivot shaft bearings shot or is the mounting plate pulled away from the frame?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20221229_110633-2653087.jpg

Bearing/bushings. Worn into the roller frames. That isnt why it's in here either. Or the fact that reverse doesnt work and when you shift from reverse to neutral, it drives itself forward about 3 feet and comes to a stop. Or if you drop it in reverse without touching the brake it rolls forward about 6 inches. Or that reverse started working as we were pushing it in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow.

20R-2814 unavailable until 3/26

374-4752 130 days out.

WTF cat?  It’s a fucking water pump.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow.

374-4752 130 days out.

View Quote

Must be a Fmc d8 or 836k water pump.

I’ve had to rebuild several this year bc reman weren’t available
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Wow.

374-4752 130 days out.

Any special pullers needed to rebuild? Looks like I’ll have to go that route
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Any special pullers needed to rebuild? Looks like I’ll have to go that route
View Quote

Buy the water seal install tool. I stacked some washers for a tool in the first one I did but the water seal started leaking a 4-5 months later. I can’t remember if there’s an installer for the oil seal but if there is buy it. It’s not really to install the seal but to get the shaft through without damaging the seal lip. It’s like a mini crankshaft seal. Buy 1-2 extra for screwups, they’re cheap. Other than that a decent 10-20 ton shop press is all you need. I’d prefer one with a manual pump for assembly. Measure how far the shaft protrudes from the impeller and reseat to the same dimension.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#46]
And have fun getting the elbow off the front of the oil cooler if you haven’t done one yet. For sure give had to take all the bolts out of the water pump bonnet to turn it a little for clearance. Last one I did I still couldn’t get the bonnet out of the water pump and I had to loosen the egr cooler to slide it back.

Engineers turned what used to be fairly simple into a pita.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow.

374-4752 130 days out.

View Quote

I ordered an implement pump for a track loader in Oct. Initial ship date was today. A few weeks ago it pushed back to Feb.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#48]
And have fun getting the elbow off the front of the oil cooler if you haven’t done one yet. For sure give had to take all the bolts out of the water pump bonnet to turn it a little for clearance. Last one I did I still couldn’t get the bonnet out of the water pump and I had to loosen the egr cooler to slide it back.

Engineers turned what used to be fairly simple into a pita.
View Quote

This is on an 836K, and from the sound of it, my boss is going to tell us to change the oil and put it back in service.  I’m will to bet we’re changing oil every 50 hours until a pump comes in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#49]

This is on an 836K, and from the sound of it, my boss is going to tell us to change the oil and put it back in service.  I’m will to bet we’re changing oil every 50 hours until a pump comes in.
View Quote

I’ve seen how that story plays out. Ended in an engine overhaul
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 7:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#50]

View All Quotes

He’ll learn, or he won’t. We don’t have enough dudes in the shop to keep up with the OPTEMPO, nor do we have enough redundancy in the equipment, so we have to rush stuff or leave things out of services frequently.

When I started 6 years ago, we were doing 4-500 ton a day, and 900 was a busy day.  Now, we’re doing 14-700 a day, with frequent 2000+ days.  Still only have 3 d8ts, 2 compactors, and a loader, plus dirt hauling stuff.  We’re getting to the point that they want both compactors running at once, and it’s a difficult thing to adjust to in the shop with 2 dudes.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top