Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Harbor freight ftw.  They helped put Sears under.  Why buy high priced craftsman junk when I have this here coupon?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jeep450:
It's a local tire store chain. They mainly have rejects for mechanics. You know the guys, felons, guys that can't pass drug test, real winners. They are so bad, not a single tool truck stops at these places.
Harbor freight ftw.  They helped put Sears under.  Why buy high priced craftsman junk when I have this here coupon?
It's amazing how many people are using that crap. One guy I know got hurt pretty bad when a ratchet broke. Guess what, he got it warrantied and is using the new one. WTF. A box doesn't really make you any money (unless you are working out of a cardboard box) but hand tools? I don't understand guys these days. And they don't have backups either. "man I've been waiting all week to get a 10mm socket replaced". You don't have any extras? "Nope just this one and I use it all day"
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have backups for my backups.  I have tools for working on nice cars, and others for everything else.  I am  a total tool whore.

Today newb couldn't get a chain tensioner screwed in.  I disassembled the old one, cut slots in the threads, jammed it in, then it cleans the threads up enough to get the new tensioner in.  My tap in 1.5 threads only goes to 22mm.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm the same way. At least 3 of the most common used sizes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Link
View Quote
Awesome I might get a few.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
All this going on and the boss thinks I can find small noises.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
All this going on and the boss thinks I can find small noises.

http://i.imgur.com/4pY742v.jpg
View Quote
On my phone all I saw was the motor grader at first thinking "what's the big deal?" Then I saw the mixer... Oh
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#8]
Well it's official. I'm going back to being a tech.

We pay (on my wife's insurance) $1399 per month for family coverage.

They are hit with a 25% increase this year.

Nope.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Obama!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Nope.
View Quote
Well, do yourself a favor and keep that to yourself until you have someone lined up to buy your route.  Ask me how i know.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Nope.
View Quote
Holy shit balls.  That's fucking expensive.  

I guess I am now lucky to have been broken by the Marines and get medical...
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:
Well, do yourself a favor and keep that to yourself until you have someone lined up to buy your route.  Ask me how i know.
View All Quotes

Nope.
I've started telling guys end of the month I'm done. I will have a few that will still owe me but there's nothing I can do about that. They will have to pay me or else.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
It was down to Humana and Cigna insurance. They were the only 2 companies that could/would quote them. Then Cigna bought Humana so now it's bend over and take it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:26:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#15]
Man that sucks. Are you a dealer tech? If not, how was the fight with the parts store for labor claim?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Had a tech do a customer pay wiring harness, engine control module and cam solenoids.  Solenoids leak and wick oil up the harness.  Several thousand dollar repair.  Car never made it home, check engine light back on.  

Tech complains that he didn't get to replace the injectors for several thousand dollars because I had him spray the connectors out with cleaner and reuse them.  They are port style and not known to leak.  He wants to replace them.  I order up a compression test.  20 psi low.  80% leakage on cylinder five, verified coming from exhaust valves.  Thanks for not spending thirty seconds to do a cranking compression test with the diagnostic software.  Now it needs a cylinder head.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Put an ad out for a front office worker.  I am... amazed... at the quality of responses.  

Here is the email I was just sent.

Hello,My name is Redacted. I am interested in a position available at your company. A little bit about me... I just turned 27. I am re-locating to Denver from Chicago on April 16th. I enjoy doing things outside like hiking and camping. I love food, I also love to cook. I am really excited to be taking the next step in my life adventure in Denver. It seems like a great place with nice people. I am looking for a good job where I can establish solid relationships with not only customers but the staff as well. A place where I can be challenged and learn everyday. Also, with potential for growth. 

That being said, attached is my resume.
Thank you for your time!!

I swear it reads like a personals ad.  And her resume is even worse.  Makes my head hurt.  It included a head shot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Putting a tune up kit in my 1" impact. Really glad IR includes a new detent ball for the power/direction knob...
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:
Put an ad out for a front office worker.  I am... amazed... at the quality of responses.  

Hello,My name is Redacted. I am interested in a position available at your company. A little bit about me... I just turned 27. I am re-locating to Denver from Chicago on April 16th. I enjoy doing things outside like hiking and camping. I love food, I also love to cook. I am really excited to be taking the next step in my life adventure in Denver. It seems like a great place with nice people. I am looking for a good job where I can establish solid relationships with not only customers but the staff as well. A place where I can be challenged and learn everyday. Also, with potential for growth. 

I swear it reads like a personals ad.  And her resume is even worse.  Makes my head hurt.  It included a head shot.
View Quote
that's a great response.  I mean wow, isn't that nice, she likes ot hike and wander off and get stoned?  How in the fuk does that help your business?  what skills does this person bring to the table?  that's insane
i'm sure she (?) has a college degree.   What a waste of money.
I'm also sure she is/was a barista.  

BTW, sounds like your business is really expanding.  First another tech/intern, now a front office type.  good for you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#21]
14 year old kohler v twin 20hp.  Had been intermittently smoking on start for a while.  Now smokes like a train and sometimes never stops smoking out of the exhaust.  Impeccable service history.  Low hours.  Thoughts?  Don't want to have to replace it.   It may end up dying though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
time for new rings?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
It looks like no one else is going to ask the obvious question, guilty or not?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#24]
14 year old kohler v twin 20hp.  Had been intermittently smoking on start for a while.  Now smokes like a train and sometimes never stops smoking out of the exhaust.  Impeccable service history.  Low hours.  Thoughts?  Don't want to have to replace it.   It may end up dying though.
View Quote
Does it have a PCV valve?  Is there any other way it could be sucking oil into the intake?  If not, that leaves valve guide seals and rings.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

It looks like no one else is going to ask the obvious question, guilty or not?
View Quote
So very not.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:

that's a great response.  I mean wow, isn't that nice, she likes ot hike and wander off and get stoned?  How in the fuk does that help your business?  what skills does this person bring to the table?  that's insane
i'm sure she (?) has a college degree.   What a waste of money.
I'm also sure she is/was a barista.  

BTW, sounds like your business is really expanding.  First another tech/intern, now a front office type.  good for you.
View Quote
Shop goes up and down.  I hired a front office person first.  Then an appentice, whom I fired for gross incompetence.  Hired another apprentice who is doing pretty good.  But when I hired her, my shop manager quit.  So I hired another one, and ended up firing her.  Now to find someone else to work the front office and clean the place.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Shop goes up and down.  I hired a front office person first.  Then an appentice, whom I fired for gross incompetence.  Hired another apprentice who is doing pretty good.  But when I hired her, my shop manager quit.  So I hired another one, and ended up firing her.  Now to find someone else to work the front office and clean the place.
View Quote
yeah, I"m in colorado too (native BTW) and with legal pot, the quality of any employee has gone way way way down in the past few years.

even simple competence is well beyond like 50% of the workforce.

on the plus side, I"m easily employable.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#28]

I've started telling guys end of the month I'm done. I will have a few that will still owe me but there's nothing I can do about that. They will have to pay me or else.
View Quote
Good luck with that.  LOL.  Im guessing cornwell doesnt have anything in place to transfer RAs to a house account until the new dealer takes over....
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Of course now im thinking about playing the dealer game myself.  Its either that or a well known off road shop.  I cant stand where im at now.  Might as well not even have a service or parts department.  Tired of getting yelled at for comebacks that are chinese parts fault, not mine.  Im leaning towards the dealer simply because wheeling is fun to me and i dont want to ruin it even though its a better fit for my skillset.  Dealers also a 10 minute drive, and thsts hard to get in the sticks..
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Good luck with that.  LOL.  Im guessing cornwell doesnt have anything in place to transfer RAs to a house account until the new dealer takes over....
View All Quotes

Unfortunately, no they don't. Luckily I've know this was a strong possibility for a little while and have been able to work the dead beats down already.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I got five sets of axles for that rc truck.  I finally noticed that indeed they are all made the same, with the dogbone ends lined up perfectly.  All the bent ones are 45 degrees or more twisted off center.  This is why they bend.  I'd never noticed because I haven't had enough good ones to prove that.  So it appears less grippy tires are needed or not driving it on the Grass....  too much grip.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a set of tires and don't glue them to the wheel for grass use.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Unfortunately, no they don't. Luckily I've know this was a strong possibility for a little while and have been able to work the dead beats down already.
View Quote
I just don't get people who think that when they get a tool off the truck it's theirs, even when they have a balance.  As long as I am making payments, it isn't my tool yet.  Hell, I typically try to clear the truck accout every two visits.  Buy 600 dollars of tools (so a single socket from snap on) and make two payments.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a set of tires and don't glue them to the wheel for grass use.
View Quote
There's the solution and I couldn't figure it out without help.  Thanks.  Unglued tires.... They spin and absorb the shock load.  Perfect.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#35]
If you have a old set of tires could wear them down in the parking lot at work make them smooth that would probably work as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Day three of Pacific institute.  Tomorrow is the final day.  

In order to develop in to who you want to be, you'll have to remove parts that are not the new you.  Want to spend more time with the family?  Don't go bowling every week.  Doesn't mean never, maybe once a month instead.  

Be a good gatekeeper for your self talk.  Don't give authority to opinion that is unqualified.  When you do things perfectly, tell yourself, "that's like me.  That's what I do"  When you do things that you would like to change, say "that isn't like me".  Use the same statements when praising others.  Tell them when they do good, that's how you see them.  When they don't do well, say that's not like you to do those things.

Visualize how things are when you see them the way you want them to be.  Don't focus on the problem, focus on how they are when everything is perfect.  

When you believe strongly enough that this is how things are, your subconscious will correct to that level.  When you know that you are a B student and you accidentally make an A, your subconscious will self correct and you'll bomb the next test to make it back to a B where you belong.  Make a C and you'll correct to the B.  You have to accurately visualize how things are as you want them to be, in a present tense.  Your subconscious will correct to that level.  It may make you uncomfortable with where you are now, because you don't belong there anymore.  You may need to modify friendships and ideas that you hold on to that keep you where you are.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
"C" tech doing driveability

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Alright. I'll bite.

WTF?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got the Mini Ductor II kit with coil set.  Damn that thing is cool.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, it is.  

Got the SL65 that was wrecked back from the body shop.  Its ready to go home.  I filled the fuel tank and had it detailed.  

It was kinda hectic until late afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got the Mini Ductor II kit with coil set.  Damn that thing is cool.  
View Quote
It's fantastic isn't it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been having fun all week with this four barrel. Been telling people its one those rare 100 mpg carbs they hear about.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#43]

The pushrods on cylinder 6 said no more

Found the cam bad, both followers on 6 had hardcore hit marks, liner is washed as well.  Fun times.  I almost regret having a new guy working with me, I didn't get to touch an engine as a low man tech for years.  Lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: confused89] [#44]
Originally Posted By Coronado:
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd370/Coronado126/IMAG0397.jpg

The pushrods on cylinder 6 said no more

Found the cam bad, both followers on 6 had hardcore hit marks, liner is washed as well.  Fun times.  I almost regret having a new guy working with me, I didn't get to touch an engine as a low man tech for years.  Lucky bastard.
View Quote
Let's see, red, small, common rail fuel injection. Cummins ISB, ISC or ISL? In my defense I only work with the 10 - 15 liter Cummins engines.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Monday is it. Back to the wrenches. It should be interesting. I have my box from before and I kept a trade in box with canopy as well. I found a side locker on Craigslist a while back for $500 bucks. This morning on Facebook I found the top box that goes on top of the canopy for $600 bucks. $2k box retail. So I shagged ass and went and got it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By confused89:

Let's see, red, small, common rail fuel injection. Cummins ISB, ISC or ISL? In my defense I only work with the 10 - 15 liter Cummins engines.
View Quote
ISX11.9 CM2250.

We have a couple 15's running around, but only in our crane trucks, everything else is this, or the newer 12 CM2350.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Got the quarter panel installed on the 47 Willys today.
Passenger side has new flor, firewall, transmission hump side and tool box made by me using 16g sheet, a band saw, shitty flux core mig welder and other tools.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Found a 2011 crew cab z71 88k miles for $20k.  Had to pass as the differential lock doesn't work.  Normally I simply lift it off the ground, let the rear wheels spin in gear at idle and stop one of them.  It should lock the wheels together at that point.  This one wouldn't.  I took it back and said no thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow. What a day. Only turned 2.5 but got all my diagnostics down loaded to my laptop and all the computer crap I need access to. Had to change locations because the area they were going to put me in was not complete. That's ok. I have 3 bays and right next to one of the alignment machines. Hopefully tomorrow will be a lot better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow. What a day. Only turned 2.5 but got all my diagnostics down loaded to my laptop and all the computer crap I need access to. Had to change locations because the area they were going to put me in was not complete. That's ok. I have 3 bays and right next to one of the alignment machines. Hopefully tomorrow will be a lot better.
View Quote
Sounds like work.  Ew.  I try my best to avoid as much as possible.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top