Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
An online forum is how I helped get production of the explorer/taurus shut down a while back.

Thank you, out of balance drive shaft caused by shitting tooling.

"Sorry sir, you dont know what you're talking about, the car is fine"

"Sorry for doubting you sir, apparently there is a problem, and you're the first person in the field to discover it, we're sorry".
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
An online forum is how I helped get production of the explorer/taurus shut down a while back.

Thank you, out of balance drive shaft caused by shitting tooling.

"Sorry sir, you dont know what you're talking about, the car is fine"

"Sorry for doubting you sir, apparently there is a problem, and you're the first person in the field to discover it, we're sorry".
View Quote

Exception that proves the rule.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Back to work today

Helped finish a service and small repairs on a tractor.

Decided to try some shit on those tractors that were overrevving and managed to fix them. I'd be a hero around these parts if I wasn't the one who broke them

confused i sent you an email detailing my findings on what happened.  I wish there was more closure to this though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Radiator hose guy was terminated today.  

I was notified two minutes prior.  

I had just enough time to pull the car he was working on out, and put some boxes on the workbench.  He came out and I helped him pack up.  At this point another tech decided to make it his business and I told him to leave.  He decided to get loud and argue.  He did so again after radiator hose guy left.  He will be written up and could quite possibly be next in line for packing his shit too.  I was trying to let radiator hose guy maintain composure and have his space.  I mean he just got fired.  Nobody's business and nobody needs to be in his face demanding answers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Never good when that happens
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Very dead today.  We watched the inauguration.  Almost everybody is extremely happy.  

I've tried very hard to warn some dumbass in GD about buying a fourteen year old V12 Mercedes.  I doubt that he will listen.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:55:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coronado] [#8]
Not much yesterday for work. Gave a truck and trailer a out of service inspection since I came in late.  Verified operation of a national crane boom truck we have.

Ended up getting called in at 8pm Thursday night since frac crew fuck off broken another pump.  Only thought it needed two tires to complete it plus a tractor swap, but the 3512 ended up needing the accessory drive seal changed.  Got home around 245am.

I hate being on call.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:

I've tried very hard to warn some dumbass in GD about buying a fourteen year old V12 Mercedes.  I doubt that he will listen.
View Quote

I though about you when I read that thread. He's gonna regret buying that car.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:09:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jeep450:

You should post up some of the stupid shit you've seen in some of the shops you went to.
View Quote

I should have taken pictures but I didn't.  When you see someone smearing rtv on a headgasket though, its time to walk away.  At least they were using the high temp stuff, I guess.....

Looking out the windshield of the tool truck as the lead tech of a certain failing dealership is giving you his sob story about not being able to pay his bills as you are watching a repo man who buys tools from you and pays $350 a week, and also gave you a heads up he was taking said deadbeats car, hook his early 2000s cavalier because he couldn't make the title loan payments because his wife kicked him out of his trailer because he was banging his helper, which was an open joke in the shop not one day after she was hired?

Lets just say in a route of 400 customers or so where maybe 30 had a tax ID, you see some interesting shit....  Course the second guy was white, just a soup sandwich.

Come to think of it though, 3 of my best, most consistent, nicest, and best paying customers were tow truck drivers....
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Very dead today.  We watched the inauguration.  Almost everybody is extremely happy.  

View Quote
I saw that thread but didn't click on it. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got done doing a side job for the weekend. In frame overhaul on a 3406e in a Pete 379. Had lots of blowby and no power. Had 3 broke compression rings and no crosshatch left at all. Looks like one air cleaner canister was sucking dirt and the motor got a light dusting over idk how many miles. Supposedly had been inframed about 600k before so not terribly bad I guess.

Cash money
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#13]
It was terribly slow, with me spending a good portion of my day fixing supertechs mistakes.  He firmly believes he is an upper echelon technician who's waste products emit no odor.  

First it was a misdiagnosed evap leak that ended up being a hole in the filler neck due to accident damage.  Yes mister customer, we will refund your money for the prior, unnecessary repairs and you need a fuel tank now.  No supertech, we can't just "epoxy it".  Its a fuel tank.  There's this thing called "liability".  

Next up was Supertechs request for fuel because his no start was "out of gas".  Turns out he had replaced the rear SAM for the no start, and it still wouldn't start.  Because it has a bad fuel pump.  Looks like I'll get to reinstall the old one and backflag him for that.  Why charge the customer $800 for something they didn't need?  Especially due to piss poor diagnostics from a 15 year veteran tech....  

With radiator hose guy gone, the cream has risen to the top.  The top of the list that means you are being watched and we are tired of your shit.  Its not a good place to be.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
$296 labor and $551.25 for a rear Sam module that didn't fix the car.  I put the old one back in.  Saved the customer $847.25.

Walking several people through diagnostics currently.  Good times.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Interesting viewpoint.  We lose less than one tech per year.  Seems like we have a pretty good retention rate for the size.  Our reputation is better than that of the other area dealers.  This is due to having standards.  When people consistently fail to perform their duties, they fire themselves.  I have quite a few other people on the team whom I wouldn't trade for the world.  I regularly tell them how much they are appreciated.  When I have a fifteen year veteran who cannot diagnose a failed fuel pump and overcharged a customer $847 due to his own failures, perhaps it's time he moved on or made more of an effort to perform his duties.  If you identify with him, then we don't need you either.  If you are driven, eager and willing to work.... then by all means we are happy to have you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Comeback for egr function chain failure.  Tech didn't know that manifold pressure sensor is used to monitor egr function among other things.  Educated and suggested reading group 7 function descriptions in workshop information system.

Comeback for vibration after one tire was replaced and vehicle aligned yesterday.  Less than 24 hour  later I find  a bulge in the sidewall of another tire, three cracked wheels and the fourth bent.  I'm certain it wasn't like that yesterday.  The tire guy told me so.  

I've got some good folks.  I've got some that need to step their game up.  

Aside from that it was the slowest day in a while.  We ran out of work at 10:45.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Worked late again last night.  No remote throttle control over an ISX11.9 from the blender.  The truck had been updated to a newer style relay and control system so we were a little sketchy on the details of that.  

Had to stay and watch a truck mounted blender get tested, ended up changing a 6" butterfly on it.  Watched 2 hours of youtube.  Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I love old cars and the idiots that "fix" them
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I love when a car gets work done somewhere else and then I get to see it.  Because they fucked something up.

2001 740iL customer went to Car Toys to get a Satellite radio installed.  He gets it back and the car battery dies in 2 days of sitting.  Takes it back to them and the fuck with it some more.  Finally customer brings it to me.  Parasitic draw.  Something is staying away and when I disconnected the Amp for him the draw went away.  Also, when the amp is connected the radio doesn't work but intermittently.  And most of the time there is just no sound.  So I tell him first place to start is a new amp.  Sorry dude, they fucked up something.  New amp in, now we got sound!  Woot!  Battery dies in two days.  Now it needs a battery its been killed so many times.  Still a parasitic draw.  lol.  

Process of elimination on the 4 modules that are controlled by the fuse pulled that kills the draw means its the head unit.  Holy. Fuck.  EVERY BOLT on the head unit is stripped.  One bolt has the head snapped off.  There is also a electrical taped wire at the amp.  Guess where that goes to.  Yup.  You guessed it, the head unit.  

So here we are.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I pulled the aftermarket amps out of an 04ish s500 today that is going to auction.  It has an extensive aftermarket a/v system that is hacked all to hell but incorporates the factory head unit and phone an  CD changer, yet has an aftermarket appearing audio gateway.  I started pulling wiring out but quit when I found the massive wad of modules and wiring hidden under  a trunk liner.  Something is pulling down the battery as fast as it charges.  All this junk is wet too.  

It was unfortunately another painfully slow day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Installed a coolant heater on a C9, looks almost like someone competent did it.

Had to change the oring on my pickups coolant quick connect hose at the radiator.  Really wasn't bad, still tore my hand up since my truck hates me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Coronado:

Had to change the oring on my pickups coolant quick connect hose at the radiator.  Really wasn't bad, still tore my hand up since my truck hates me.
View Quote

At least you can change them, gotta ordre the whole hose for BMW quick connect.  O-rings not sold seperately.   And I don't wish to spend the time to figure out the right size...
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had a good run but another injector died in my truck Friday night. 10 miles from home, ding and engine light and down to 3 cylinders. Dropped to 5th and limped home doing 50-55.

I have a spare injector just haven't felt like fooling with it yet. Maybe this evening.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

At least you can change them, gotta ordre the whole hose for BMW quick connect.  O-rings not sold seperately.   And I don't wish to spend the time to figure out the right size...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:
Originally Posted By Coronado:

O-rings are not that bad.  Go to Parker's website.  Pretty much everyone goes by their sizes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Our GM was involuntarily separated but he didn't find out for a few days.  Apparently he was sippin' on the sizzurp.  It made him unable to make it in to work for a few days, as well as some very noticeable erratic behavior.  

I was asked to assist with an inoperative radar sensor.  Car had been wrecked, came from body shop.  I had power, ground, CAN, and all wires were in the right places.  No communication. I figured out in about fifteen minutes that the module and its replacement were wrong.  A borrowed part from the roadside assistance truck worked. Parts literature is incorrect.

Fuel pump guy cannot even figure out how to adjust  a door hinge. Its  four fucking bolts.  Loosen them, move shit around, and tighten them back up.  His dumb ass is using a 1/2" impact wrench on door hinge bolts.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Started the truck up cold and it ran like crap for a sec then leveled out. Had a stored fault for #5 injector. I think it may be an original. I wanted to make sure so I took it for a spin. Had to stay in the throttle for a while for it to present itself again. All injector coils .6-.8ohms except #5 13ohms. Let it cool off and it straightens out again. I have half a mind to get a matched set of 90hp injectors to drop in it. Don't have the air or fuel supply to feed them right now but one day maybe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

O-rings are not that bad.  Go to Parker's website.  Pretty much everyone goes by their sizes.
View Quote

Apple Rubber has charts for both SAE and Metric O-rings as well.
Apple Rubber
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Our GM was involuntarily separated but he didn't find out for a few days.  Apparently he was sippin' on the sizzurp.  It made him unable to make it in to work for a few days, as well as some very noticeable erratic behavior.  

I was asked to assist with an inoperative radar sensor.  Car had been wrecked, came from body shop.  I had power, ground, CAN, and all wires were in the right places.  No communication. I figured out in about fifteen minutes that the module and its replacement were wrong.  A borrowed part from the roadside assistance truck worked. Parts literature is incorrect.

Fuel pump guy cannot even figure out how to adjust  a door hinge. Its  four fucking bolts.  Loosen them, move shit around, and tighten them back up.  His dumb ass is using a 1/2" impact wrench on door hinge bolts.  
View Quote

Crazy.  Any other fallout?
Sounds like fuel pump guy has no grasp on even the basics.  How did he make it 15 years?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#30]
No other fallout.  It was his own personal problem.  Nobody else was involved.

Fuel pump guy is, and always has been incompetent.  He can do a five hour service in about six hours though.  He is perfectly happy making thirty hours if that's all he turns.  Zero drive when it comes to this business, yet he speaks highly of himself.  His diagnostic skills are basically nonexistent.  I find it difficult to overlook, while others have let him slide far too long.  I have zero problem exposing his lack of ability.  He brags and talks a good game, yet rather than get in a pissing match about his statements, I have repeatedly proven to his face that he is incompetent.  His nineteen hour flag sheet from last week is less than half of anyone else's.  

Helping people an  teaching them is not a problem.  But I suppose if you were trying to adjust  a door hinge for a fifteen year master certified technician who wants nothing more than to stand back and watch while you do everything then yeah I have a problem with that.  He is one of two remaining techs that utilize some heavily worn, shitty craftsman tools.  That might provide you with some insight on just how much he really cares.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
Sounds like fuel pump guy has no grasp on even the basics.  How did he make it 15 years?
View Quote

You would be surprised at how some shops can be filled with terrible techs, having never been around a good one.
Or after years, a good one tries to school them but they wont listen because they been doing it like that forever.
Or they simply don't care, or won't spend money on the correct tool to do a job. It's bad out there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#32]
@EFB16ACRX how has it been getting back to wrenching?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Been going alright, im finally starting to look like i know what i'm doing again.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:56:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#34]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#35]
The new dealer is offering a five thousand dollar start bonus.  Well according to fuel pump guy anyway...  

I make it a point when I speak at nascar technical institute to say that we offer no such incentives.  What is so wrong with that dealer that they cannot get anyone to work there?  Also, you won't see that money for six months to a year.  

To hell with the five grand.  I'll work somewhere that doesn't offer it but has enough business that I'll never even notice.  You'll probably knock down ten grand a year more.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:36:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#36]
There are no techs worth a shit anymore (around here anyway). I get job offers every week now, from good shops and dealerships too not junk. I have a customer that just jumped to another dealer (both GM) $38 per hour 40 hour guarantee. I got one yesterday from a dealer owner that I worked with at another dealer and his shop Forman. My old dealer wants me to come back. It's truly amazing what I've seen in 8 years, and not in a good way. I signed up to go recert my ASEs last week, I should have never let them expire.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: t44e6] [#37]
Out of the biz entirely, except for selling parts. Have been restoring / repairing old Porsches for a while. Loved waking them up after years, sometimes decades of being idle. Liked going after other people and fixing their fuckups. Got tired of the toxic chemicals and always being dirty though. Now I buy and sell parts online. And run out the clock until wifey retires. Some of my patients. I call the last one "Yes, I replaced the axle boots and selector shaft seal. Yes, I kept the labor low. Yes, your tranny still leaks."

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for sharing.  Too many people have ruined a good hobby by making it a career.  

Busy as heck today.  I kept getting pulled in many directions.  I flagged three hours but had to leave early for parent teacher conference.

Put a cam adjuster in a c class.  Need to finish it up tomorrow.  I'm finding that my thought processes have changed.  I'm much more logical about stuff now.  

Our new GM is a she.  Haven't met her yet but I saw her from a distance.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Our new GM is a she.  Haven't met her yet but I saw her from a distance.
View Quote

If "she" came to y'all by way of Memphis and is from the NYC area, god help y'all
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Not that I'm aware of.  She came from a Nissan dealer next town over.

It was a nice, chill Saturday.  Busy morning.  Easy afternoon.  Knocked out some services.  Watched a guy surf the web rather than work.  He cost himself several good jobs by not hustling.  Had he used his internet time wisely, he would have gotten several major services instead of shitty waiter oil changes.  Mindset - his was negative.  I chose to just let him punish himself.  He had to be there for eight hours, might as well make some money.  If you choose not to, you only hurt yourself.  

A problem advisor was given an ultimatum Friday.  He is under the microscope.  He refuses to even let the customer know about our estimates.  He sells the prime item only, never anything else.  Turns out he'd been throwing the estimate away so the customer never sees it.  He still did the printout so his stats looked good.

I took apart an amp and found some blown transistors.  It got hot.  Hot enough that the metal tabs that hold the transistors to the heat sink became brittle and snapped rather than releasing.  It was fun to look at, then I threw it away because it wasn't worth saving.  I got another to power up, and have a third but don't know if it works because it has no indicator lights.  I'm not going to hook it up because it's too much work.  I may be able to barter with them to the detail guys, because they are essentially worthless but they look cool.  

I ordered some red line brand tranny fluid for the vette.  Gonna do the power steering fluid with it too.  Also got two quarts of their 75w110 gear oil.  It doesn't hold very much so it's pretty hard on the stuff.  I thought I would step it up a little in the viscosity department because it gets driven hard for lengthy periods when I go to the mountains.  I hope the synthetic fluid makes the trans a little slicker.  Sometimes it seems a bit balky.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:00:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brandyspaw] [#41]
For me, the bad thing with having a new GM in a dealership is that they always seemed to stir the pot and make changes merely to demonstrate their worth after they're been hired.  Even to the point where they don't even wait long enough to evaluate the individual corporate culture of the dealership they've entered.  

I spent 25 plus years at the same dealer group and it seemed that every time a new GM was hired at one of our stores, it meant that some manager at that store was going to be replaced and it was usually in fixed ops.  The new GM's never seemed to dick with sales unless sales was really, really dire. They usually fixated on firing either a parts director/manager or a service director/manager. In rare instances it was totally necessary or long over due. However, most times it seemed it was done just to prove to the dealer principal that the new GM was such a worthy hire since he/she was out there making some changes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:09:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#42]
GM is using the pico scope at dealerships now. The shop foreman at the dealership I used to work at got a bunch of free accessories from GM tools and equipment  probably $1000 worth of stuff.

I don't know why the pic is upside down.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#43]
We recently invested in a picoscope.  I'm still rockin' the solarity.  Still does everything I need.  Much faster to set up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#44]
They were sent it to use to diag vibration issues. They can get the full software package for free, they just have to get all the cables.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Question for you techs that do side work, how much do you usually charge an hour and do you go by actual time or all data or what?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:02:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#47]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

40 an hour. Book time. Payable in cash or booze. Side jobs for friends are more likely to turn into nightmares because they are cheap people to begin with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
Originally Posted By Huskercoop:
Question for you techs that do side work, how much do you usually charge an hour and do you go by actual time or all data or what?
Thanks

40 an hour. Book time. Payable in cash or booze. Side jobs for friends are more likely to turn into nightmares because they are cheap people to begin with.

I rarely do it, and vet the person thoroughly.  "Ever since" is not in the vocabulary.  I'm doing them a huge favor and expect to be treated as such.  Fifty bucks an hour, plus I mark up parts, or I buy dealer parts at my cost, sell at retail and install them for free.  Whichever works best for me.  Either way customer saves big money.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Back when I did side work, I typically charged $40-50 an hour depending on who it was and how much I actually wanted to do the job.  Parts were marked up 20-30% over my cost.  Some things I pretty much just had a set price for, like front brake jobs were $100 with machining rotors.  Rotate was $10, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#50]
I own my own shop.  Side work is my work.  

So either you run it through the shop or its sexual favors of some sort if its a hot chick.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top