Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 11:23:19 AM EDT
Currently driving a 2003 300M Special and 2003 Suburban.  Have put a tranny in the Suburban, and it is starting to nickel and dime me.  Minnesota cancer is starting to eat away on multiple panels.  The 300M is solid, but I'm guessing that at 15 years, I'm on borrowed time.  Guessing I'll be in the market in the next 6 months.  Want to downsize to one dependable vehicle--the wife has her minivan for her and the kids.

I'm 6'4, 34" inseam, 300#, so mid-size to large vehicle a must.  MN snow/ice makes AWD/4WD pretty much a must/very strong want.  SUV is probably what I'll get.  Has to be used, budget under $25K at the extreme, <$20K nicer, $15K even better--want to keep payments manageable.  Not worried about splash, want reliability--something that I can drive for the next 7-10 years is what I'm looking for.  

I'll start with a few candidates, and hopefully you guys can chew on them and/or give me other things to look at-

1.  2010 Ford Exploder/Merc Mountaineer.  Last year before the body style change.
2.  2014ish Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia/Buick Envoy
3.  GMC Envoy

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you stuck on GM or Ford?    Have you looked at the Titan/Armada or Tundra/Sequoia?  I have an 06 titan, it is bad on fuel economy, but is roomy, comfy and reliable like older Hondas were.... boringly reliable.....  

also relatively poor resale (down south at least), I got mine at 6 years old for little over $10K (mid/upper level 4X4)  had a buddy get a year older tundra for even better price around same time.....   just a though.....   
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
those vehicles you listed dont have that much room compared to a burb.
do you need the extra space of suburban?
what about a slightly newer burb(07-14)?

if not,
would a truck w/ topper be an option?

-tacoma w/ a topper
-honda crv/pilot
-Tundra/Sequoia (as above poster mentioned)
-tahoe (05/06) or (07-14)
-excursion
-f250 (99-05) w/ a topper

i have a buddy about your height & he didnt like fit/comfort of explorer.  so he got a used f250
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Crap, forgot.  Would rather get away from something the size of a Suburban.  Shorter fits in my garage better.  That kinda kills the truck idea, too.

No brand loyalty here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1.  2010 Ford Exploder/Merc Mountaineer.  Last year before the body style change.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Our 2017 Explorer is more roomy than or 2005 or 1999 was. I wish it was a body on frame vehicle, but it is a much more refined ride than it's predecessors.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
GX470 (or 460 if you want to spend a little more for something newer).  Basically a v8 4runner with leather, AWD & center diff lock, and more headroom.  It's what I bought anyway. (ETA:  Fits in the garage)

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
OP did you say Payments?  FYI trying to get a bank to loan on anything older 6-7 years at a decent interest rate and/or not requiring 25% down is damn near impossible no matter what your credit score is.

Now, take into account to get a Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition into the sub 20 grand range means it has over 100k miles AND is from the late 2000s.  

I think you should drive the Sub until it quits and save your money as payments aren't going to be an option unless you buy a small "fake" SUV that's a jacked up car in disguise.

Envoy?  No you will never get financed on one of those nor should you buy one used.  Same goes for the "ranger chassis" explorer, that's a cash car.

Traverse/ Acadia - No NO NOOOOOOOOOO.  they are crap with a capital C.  and this is coming from someone who only owns GM vehicles.

Honestly you should come south and buy a 03-06 Tahoe / Yukon / Suburban for under $8,000 that's not rusted and use your 03 Sub for parts  as you need them on the new one.  That'd be the smart thing to do and not be making payments on a 10 year old vehicle at 7+% interest.

300M - FWD chrysler, um yeah sell that thing NOW because it dies and becomes worth nothing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crap, forgot.  Would rather get away from something the size of a Suburban.  Shorter fits in my garage better.  That kinda kills the truck idea, too.

No brand loyalty here.
View Quote
crew cab taco or tundra should fit in garage
they are much shorter than chevy/ford/dodge
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you ever sat in a Tacoma? There is no way in hell a man who is "6'4", 34" inseam, 300#" is going to fit comfortably in a Tacoma. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you ever sat in a Tacoma? There is no way in hell a man who is "6'4", 34" inseam, 300#" is going to fit comfortably in a Tacoma. 
View Quote
A co-worker of mine who is about 6'6" 275# just traded his JK for a new Taco for the space.  Although I think that was just an excuse to get something new.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
yes i have & it has more (or equivalent) room to vehicles that OP listed.
i am close in OPs size & am comfortable in one.
sure a tundra would be better, but just giving options for him to look at.

especially since i went thru the whole trying to find a vehicle to fit in my garage b/c home builders cant build a proper garage.  ;)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No brand loyalty here.
The previous generation Tundra Double cab (2004) is about 10" longer than a Suburban of the same year, and the current Tundra DC is about 5" longer than a new Suburban. The same is true for the Crew Max models.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

yes i have & it has more (or equivalent) room to vehicles that OP listed.
i am close in OPs size & am comfortable in one.
sure a tundra would be better, but just giving options for him to look at.

especially since i went thru the whole trying to find a vehicle to fit in my garage b/c home builders cant build a proper garage.  ;)
View Quote
Drive one for a distance. The seating position is horrible. That was the one thing I hated about my Tacoma. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#13]
^ only been in one for up to 40 min drives... around metroplex area.

i'll keep that in mind & try to tag along w/ buddy on next road trip.  thnx
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all for the discussion.  Plenty of new things for me to ponder!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm 6'1" and my knees hit the steering wheel on a Taco.  How are the Nissan Armadas?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top